Old 12-19-2017, 02:41 AM
Commoner

Boy:
Phillip Charles Michael

Girl:
Alexandra Carole Anne

Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 AM
Majesty

Obviously if the baby were called Alice it woud be in tribute to P Phil's mother, which is why I have always hoped they would use it. and there have been several royal women who were Alice as a first name...

Old 12-19-2017, 03:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsteepy View Post

We can rule out combinations of George Alexander Louis and Charlotte Diana Elizabeth because they are already being used by William & Kate's current children.
Andrew Albert Christian Edward
Edward Antony Richard Louis

might suggest that that argument doesn't hold water as two of the Queen's sons have the name Edward.

Add in David Albert Charles (Princess Margaret's son - 2nd Earl Snowdon)

Charles Philip Arthur George

and we see Charles and Albert used twice as well within the grandsons of George VI (four grandsons and Edward, Charles and Albert are all used twice).
Old 12-19-2017, 03:21 AM
Majesty

I don't think William and Kate will go for a lot of re use of middle names.. THey seem to be settling for just 3 names, not a long string of them, choosing a royal name that they like for general use and then honouring the queen and other relatives with the other names..
Old 12-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

might suggest that that argument doesn't hold water as two of the Queen's sons have the name Edward.

and we see Charles and Albert used twice as well within the grandsons of George VI (four grandsons and Edward, Charles and Albert are all used twice).
Regarding the middle names of siblings, you have a fair point but we are seeing a trend where the royal family is reducing the number of given names. In your example, both individuals had 4 given names, the current trend is for only 3 given names. Also, because this is all speculation, I am betting that they won't repeat given names.

I also believe that sharing given names between generations and cousins is very common because of the tradition behind it. That is why I am predicting the boys name as Edward even though his great uncle, the Earl of Wessex, is an Edward.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

What about Isobel?

A name related to Elizabeth. A nice gesture to Scotland. Goes with Charlotte and George.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
What about Isobel?

A name related to Elizabeth. A nice gesture to Scotland. Goes with Charlotte and George.
Isobel is a fine choice. Isobel is a tribute to Isabella. Isabella of Angouleme was the wife of King John.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the name Isobel, provided people don't end up calling her "Izzie."

I hate that!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Isobel is a fine choice. Isobel is a tribute to Isabella. Isabella of Angouleme was the wife of King John.

I like Isobel too but if they did pick it wouldn’t be as a tribute for the wife of king John
I doubt they think about anyone further back than their grandparents when thinking of tribute names.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Margaret and Elizabeth both using the same names is not odd at all. Nor is it the same as one set of parents using the name twice. But true on Edward point. But among the current generations we have not seen a name reused. There are certainly dozens of names in both family trees to use without reusing one.

Quote:
What about Isobel?

Isobel is lovely, but if they went with it, it would more likely be Isabella.

Isobel few people would make the connection to the great-grandmother of Robert the Bruce.

Isabella on the other hand we have:
-the wife of Edward II (may not be a great reminder though)
-Edward III's daughter the Countess of Bedford
-Isabella of Angeloume and Isabella of Gloucester- both wives of John
-John's daughter Isabella who was Holy roman empress

As well as plenty of others who married junior branches of the family.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:48 AM
Aristocracy

I hope they name a boy Phillip Michael Charles. A girl Alice Carol Mary
Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Nobility

I still think the name will be found among the current top 25 names, as was the case with George and Charlotte. There are plenty of names they could choose which are less common but still with royal precedent. But they seem to prefer following the crowd.

I can see why people are suggesting Caroline, but it's unlikely IMO because it is basically the same name as Charlotte, being female variants of Charles. Both names kill two birds with one stone as a nod to Prince Charles and Carole Middleton, but they went for the currently much more popular Charlotte.

Richard would be a great choice, as mentioned above, but it's not fashionable, and same goes for Victoria, Mary, John. Any of these would be a breath of fresh air despite being very traditional.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

I like Richard, David and John ..might be one of those 3.

I really do like Alice for a girl. Victoria isn't too bad either. If Caroline is used it would be a middle name.

LaRae
Old 12-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I still think the name will be found among the current top 25 names, as was the case with George and Charlotte. There are plenty of names they could choose which are less common but still with royal precedent. But they seem to prefer following the crowd.

I can see why people are suggesting Caroline, but it's unlikely IMO because it is basically the same name as Charlotte, being female variants of Charles. Both names kill two birds with one stone as a nod to Prince Charles and Carole Middleton, but they went for the currently much more popular Charlotte.

Richard would be a great choice, as mentioned above, but it's not fashionable, and same goes for Victoria, Mary, John. Any of these would be a breath of fresh air despite being very traditional.
George was chosen as it was an expected name. It has risen in popularity because of Prince George, no surprise there.

If we took names that are actually popular in the UK, but have some royal precedence (or family precedence), our options would be. (taken from top 50 names in UK)

girl:
-Sophia (number 2)
-Isabella/Isabelle (number 8/10)
* interesting to note, the only great-grandkids of the queen who make top ten are Isla and Mia, not Charlotte. Charlotte makes top 20 at 17.
*these are the only popular ones in top 20 with royal history
-Olivia (number 1) could use the form Olive instead, as a middle name, in honor of Kate's family
-Alice (23rd)
-Matilda (34th)
-Amelia (44)
*names like Eleanor, Rose, Sara make the top 100

boys:
-Harry (3) full Henry also makes top 30
*already used but Charlie for Charles, and George make top 10
-William (12)
-James (15)- not as first name because of Viscount Severn but could use
-Freddie (16)
-Thomas (24)
-Arthur (29)
-Edward (35)
*Michael and Albert also make top 100
Old 12-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Some of these sound nice and have a bunch of family ties....

Girls:
Mary Alice Marguerite
Cecelia Alice Mary
Alice Marguerite Frances

Boys:
Arthur Phillip Michael
Phillip Arthur Francis
Arthur Phillip Francis
Old 12-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Gentry

Boy - Philip
Girl - Alice

This is just what I want.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

I like Phillip and David the best.

LaRae
Old 12-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
Some of these sound nice and have a bunch of family ties....

Girls:
Mary Alice Marguerite
Cecelia Alice Mary
Cecelia is the absolute choice!
Cecilia Bowes-Lyon, Countess of Strathmore, was the mother of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. Also she was the maternal grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, not to mention in other forms of the name, there are other royal and family connections.

-Prince Philip has a sister Cecilie (the one who died in an airplane crash)
-William the conqueror had a daughter Cecilia
-the mother of Edward IV and Richard III was Cecily Neville
-Cecily of York was a daughter of Edward IV

The name is lovely, and not overused. And in any form would be a nice nod to both grandparents. Would love to see it used, but not sure if popular enough.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes, not to mention in other forms of the name, there are other royal and family connections.

-Prince Philip has a sister Cecilie (the one who died in an airplane crash)
-William the conqueror had a daughter Cecilia
-the mother of Edward IV and Richard III was Cecily Neville
-Cecily of York was a daughter of Edward IV

The name is lovely, and not overused. And in any form would be a nice nod to both grandparents. Would love to see it used, but not sure if popular enough.
I don't think it really matters if its popular or not. One thing that will happen though if the Cambridges name a daughter Cecilia (or any form of the name), it will soar to the top of popular names right quick.