Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of Frances Ruth for a daughter? Ruth would be in honor of Princess Diana's grandmother Ruth, Lady Fermoy.

Lady Fermoy... well, I have a feeling that Diana's sons would not like to honor her.

Frances as a middle name is lovely.

IIRC Kate's father's middle name is Francis.

LaRae

Ruth IS sweet and with good history and association:

Mary Ruth Olive
Frances Ruth Mary

Maybe something more unusual!

Minerva Rose Helen
Mabel Rosemary Ruth
Sophie Margaret Ruth

A boy:

Edward Francis Peter

The name is probably well and truly chosen by now.

Per Diana her grandmother did a real 'hatchet job' on her with the BRF and there was also the situation with her mother's divorce where Ruth (mother of Frances) spoke on behalf of Diana's father during the divorce proceedings.

LaRae

For a Princess' middle name, Joan or Joanna could be used. Joan had been used in the Scottish Royal Family.

It was actually more common on the English side. All three queen consorts of Scotland named Joan, were born English royalty. Alexander II's wife was the daughter of King John. David II's wife Joan was a daughter of Edward II. James I's wife Joan Beauford was the granddaughter of John Gaunt (making her great-granddaughter of Edward III). Henry II, Edward I and Edward III all had daughters named Joan. There was also Joan of Kent, a granddaughter of Edward I. In Scotland, James I had a daughter named Joan.

If Ruth is out then Joan could it could be .. Joan is quite unusual for nowadays so I've partnered it with equally surprising names for fun.

Mary Joan Deborah
Margaret Posy Joan

Ernest John Richard
John Graham Philip

It was actually more common on the English side. All three queen consorts of Scotland named Joan, were born English royalty. Alexander II's wife was the daughter of King John. David II's wife Joan was a daughter of Edward II. James I's wife Joan Beauford was the granddaughter of John Gaunt (making her great-granddaughter of Edward III). Henry II, Edward I and Edward III all had daughters named Joan. There was also Joan of Kent, a granddaughter of Edward I. In Scotland, James I had a daughter named Joan.

I think that Joan as a name descended in status by tudor times and was replaced with Jane..

It would be nice to have Joan reintroduced as a name in the Royal Family. It does not have a lot of syllables. It is not hard to pronounce.

Jane is simply sweet:

Jane Mary Cecilie
Jane Edwina Olive
Johanna Mary Rose

So many names and only one baby.. ha ha.

Joan, Jane and Joanna are not fashionable enough for the Cambridges' apparent taste in names. It'll be a current Top 20 name if it's a girl, there are several obvious candidates.

They might have to dip a bit deeper for a boy's name. Arthur is at 30. Alfred at 111 but Alfie right up there at 14, just as Frederick is at 76 but Freddie 17. I regard these as the same names but the abbreviations are popular.

They might go for Henry (15) as Prince Harry has never been known by his true name. Leopold is another possibility: although it is way down in the 900s, Leo is at 13 and I could see them liking that in the same way that Charles and Diana went for Harry.

I don’t know why but im almost 100% sure they’ll use Philip for a boy (maybe not first).
I’d love Alice for a girl

Joan, Jane and Joanna are not fashionable enough for the Cambridges' apparent taste in names. It'll be a current Top 20 name if it's a girl, there are several obvious candidates.
I went searching, and I found this site with the top girls name in the UK with meanings:
https://www.motherandbaby.co.uk/baby-names/girls/the-50-top-baby-girl-names
From this site's selection, I could see them using: Amelia, Emily, Isabella, Ella, Sophia, Alice, Matilda, Elizabeth, Eleanor.

I'm not good with boys name, though I agree with some people here for Philip, Arthur, Frederik...Besides, I think the baby cambridge 3# will be a boy.

For context, here are the standings of those J names for 2016 in England & Wales. These are the latest available statistics as they are released in the autumn for the previous year. So 2017 is not yet available. The source quoted above is mistaken in claiming "the most popular baby girls names for 2018" - we are barely into 2018 yet after all!

16 girls were named Joan (1834th place)
24 girls were named Jane (1370th place)
119 girls were named Joanna (382nd place)
By contrast Joanne is seen as very dated, and was in 1571st place with 20 girls named.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ynamesenglandandwalesbabynamesstatisticsgirls

Boys here https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...bynamesenglandandwalesbabynamesstatisticsboys

Last edited:
I say Alice, Alexandra or Victoria for a girl and Albert for a boy!

Eww, anything would be better than Albert!

:sad: :sad::unsure:

Well, Albert was George VI's first name so it would be a nice nod to HM. May I ask what connotations does the name Albert invoke? It's not a polemical or rhetorical question, it's an honest one! :flowers:

:sad: :sad::unsure:

Well, Albert was George VI's first name so it would be a nice nod to HM. May I ask what connotations does the name Albert invoke? It's not a polemical or rhetorical question, it's an honest one! :flowers:

A little old man in a cardigan sweater and felt slippers?
A pudgy little boy in glasses surrounded by school bullies?
A nerdy young man in spats and a monocle?

All of the above?

Albert--An attractive, forward thinking, intelligent , loving consort?

merge

A little old man in a cardigan sweater and felt slippers?
A pudgy little boy in glasses surrounded by school bullies?
A nerdy young man in spats and a monocle?

All of the above?

? Well, we all have different tastes: to me you outlined very lovable people!! But I do see your point...:cheers:

Albert--An attractive, forward thinking, intelligent , loving consort?

:flowers: :flowers: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes he was, the only trouble is that was about 160 years ago. Of course there is Albert of Monaco as an example!

Yes he was, the only trouble is that was about 160 years ago. Of course there is Albert of Monaco as an example!

If that's the criteria, George and Charlotte are not exactly modern/new names... :whistling: I think the
Duke and Duchess will choose a timeless name again.

Last edited:
George though is an old English name, dating back to medieval times and St George and the Dragon. Albert, by contrast, wasn't regarded as English, only became popular because of the Prince Consort and because people in her family didn't want to upset Queen Victoria by not giving Albert as a first name to their sons. More modern British royals have tended to shove Albert in among the middle names.

:previous: You're correct, Curryong, I see your point. George VI, however, was still named Albert.

Yes, he was born in Queen Victoria's reign on the anniversary of the day in 1861 that the Sainted Albert died. His father the Duke of York was beside himself, and quickly suggested that his son be named after the Prince Consort. The Queen was quite happy about the birthday and said that it might prove a blessing to the little boy!

I quite like David or Phillip.

LaRae

They are not going to name any future son David. That name is well and truly dead within the BRF--in the main line, anyway. After what great-uncle David pulled before and during WWII, there is no way they're going to saddle a child with a name that invokes no happy memories with the Windsors. The press would have a freaking field day.

I'd be willing to bet good money on Phillip or Alice being names, perhaps even Mary or John (I know there's a thing about that name, too, but as he won't be king, it might be more acceptable for a second son and fifth in line?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom