Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back it was mentioned that Maryanne/Marianne etc. was a bit close to Camilla's names. I like Alice, Cecilia, Helena but have never been right so far and I seem to suggest them, and Maryanne variations, for every royal birth. I think they'll have a Josephine/Estelle moment and chose something that sounds quite royal. For some reason I think it's a girl.

A while back it was mentioned that Maryanne/Marianne etc. was a bit close to Camilla's names. I like Alice, Cecilia, Helena but have never been right so far and I seem to suggest them, and Maryanne variations, for every royal birth. I think they'll have a Josephine/Estelle moment and chose something that sounds quite royal. For some reason I think it's a girl.

I don't recall Maryanne every being suggested :ermm:

It was Rosemary that was vetoed as it is Camilla's middle name.

Josephine/Estelle moment? This statement confuses me. Both names were criticized for NOT sounding royal. Well Josephine is but not really for the Danes.

Certainly not "Maryanne" but Marianne or Mariana would be IMO quite acceptable. I don't know what is meant by Camilla's name. Her names are Camilla Rosemary.
Agree, as I recall, Estelle was criticised for "not being royal enough." I don't know abot Josephine but it is not unknown in many royal families because THe Empress Josephine's son, Eugene, had several daughters who married into many of European Royal families...

It was Rosemary that was vetoed as it is Camilla's middle name.

I hope they'll choose Rosemary now ? but i still think it'll be a name that already occured in the RF like Victoria or Mary or Alice if it's a girl

I doubt it. Its never been used and problably does not sound "royal" enough, plus it is Camilla's middle name.
Alice is very high on the list of possibles. Amelia, maybe but there is Lady Amelia Windsor...

Rosamund isn't a bad name if you want to incorporate something that sounds like Rose. Maybe Caroline too, as a nod to Kate's mother but then you also have your kid share a name with two rather prominent members of the Monegasque Princely Family.

Last edited:
Rosamund isn't a bad name if you want to incorporate something that sounds like Rose. Maybe Caroline too, as a nod to Kate's mother but then you also have your kid share a name with two rather prominent members of the Monegasque Princely Family.

Two :ermm: Other then the princess of Hannover, what other prominent member of the Grimmauldis is named Caroline???

If they cared about their children sharing a name with another royal house, they would have to look far and wide for names that they could use. But considering Charlotte is a nod both to Carole and Charles, don't see another need to honor Carole a second time.

Why not simply Rose???

Certainly not "Maryanne" but Marianne or Mariana would be IMO quite acceptable. I don't know what is meant by Camilla's name. Her names are Camilla Rosemary.
Agree, as I recall, Estelle was criticised for "not being royal enough." I don't know abot Josephine but it is not unknown in many royal families because THe Empress Josephine's son, Eugene, had several daughters who married into many of European Royal families...

The issue with Josephine seems more that what is a royal name to one family, isn't royal to others. Constantine may be a royal name for Greece, but would sound quite odd as a prince of the UK for instance. In Belgium and Luxembourg Josephine would not cause a stir (as an honor to Josephine-Charlotte, wife of Jean, sister of Albert II). The Belgians, like other royal families, are descended from Empress Josephine, and have used the name in the past. Technically the houses of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Greece are also descended from Empress Josephine (through her granddaughter Josephine, the wife of Oscar I of Sweden).

Two :ermm: Other then the princess of Hannover, what other prominent member of the Grimmauldis is named Caroline???

Not sure if I got Empress Merel's thought as she intended, but I took it to mean that the Cambridges already had a Charlotte (also the name of Caroline's daughter), and that if they then went on and named another daughter Caroline, their daughters would share the names of two major Grimauldi women (even if Charlotte is technically a Casiraghi).

Shame, as I love the name Caroline, but I do agree that if they really wanted to name a daughter Caroline they wouldn't let what I just said stop them :)

Last edited:
Exactly Marytessy. I thought I made myself pretty clear when I said two members of the Monegasque Princely Family. :whistling:

Sorry it was Rosemary - it would have been so easy to have found out what Camilla's names were and I should have doubled checked.

Last edited:
I think it would be lovely if they had a Irish name... mainly because my grown children have Irish names and they haven’t gone out of fashion

Several bickering posts have been deleted. Let's try and keep this discussion as light as the topic at hand..

George was chosen as it was an expected name. It has risen in popularity because of Prince George, no surprise there.

George has risen a little since, but I don't think Prince George has much to do with it. It is just fashionable at the moment, and was already a top ten name in the year George was born. There are just as many parents who are put off a name when it is given to a Royal baby. They don't want people thinking that they named their child after a Royal or a celebrity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chosen as it was an expected name". George was not the only option by any means. The British Royal Family aren't obliged to follow a name pattern. I wonder how many people expected the Queen to name her first son Charles?

George has risen a little since, but I don't think Prince George has much to do with it. It is just fashionable at the moment, and was already a top ten name in the year George was born. There are just as many parents who are put off a name when it is given to a Royal baby. They don't want people thinking that they named their child after a Royal or a celebrity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chosen as it was an expected name". George was not the only option by any means. The British Royal Family aren't obliged to follow a name pattern. I wonder how many people expected the Queen to name her first son Charles?

Charles was definitely an unexpected name, but that doesn't mean that George was anything other than a very expected name. It's the name of six monarchs before him and is one of the only names of a previous monarch not used by a member of the BRF at the time of George's birth. The middle name "Louis" was also highly expected, and if memory serves Alexander was also a popular guess when Kate was pregnant. Likewise, Charlotte's name was a popular guess for a girl's name when Kate was pregnant (for both pregnancies), as were her middle names.

William and Kate have gone with fairly predictable names for their first two children, which makes it seem likely that they'll do so with this child as well.

I guess the point that is made was that William and Catherine most likely don't pick names 'because those names are the most expected names' but they pick those names for a reason (they like traditional names that are currently popular among their peers - and prefer (royal) family names) and, therefore, they are rather predictable so those names also happen to high on the lists...

Yes, exactly. Predictable, if that's what was meant by "expected". There were other possible names that wouldn't have been out of place, nor a big surprise if chosen.

Mind you, as George was their first child, we didn't have much of a clue then about their taste. They might have been more adventurous and gone for something a bit less obvious, as the Yorks did.

Last edited:
'Cecilia' sounds lovely. ?

Cecilia Victoria Mary Cambridge :D

Cecilia Victoria Mary Cambridge is an ideal choice. I like the use of Mary as the last middle name. Queen Mary, the wife of King George V, had a niece named Lady May Cambridge.

I think it would be neat for them to have a girl named Mary and then call her May.

IIRC Queen Mary was called May.

LaRae

Queen Mary was known as Princess Victoria Mary of Teck before her marriage (from her first two names), but was always called May by family as she was born in May. When George V became King she was asked by her husband to pick Victoria or Mary as a name, as May wasn’t regal enough and he didn’t want her using a double barrelled name - she chose Mary because she didn’t want to take Queen Victoria’s name.

Mary is also one of the Queen’s middle names, so it would be a nice touch - if they use it, then all 3 of the Cambridge children will have one of the Queen’s names in their name.

Charlotte was born in May so would have been the perfect choice (although I like it that the name Charlotte fits perfectly in the list of 'Princess Royals' - which she hopefully one day will be).

Charles was definitely an unexpected name, but that doesn't mean that George was anything other than a very expected name. It's the name of six monarchs before him and is one of the only names of a previous monarch not used by a member of the BRF at the time of George's birth. .
Although not a close family member, The Duke of Kent's eldest son (Earl of St. Andrews b 1962) is "George Philip Nicholas."

Alright so we know they like Georgian Names and names that honor family so if it's a girl:

Alexandra - Williams godmother and cousin
Frances - grandma diana and Grandpa Michael
Mary - Queen Mary also Queen EII middle name

For a boy:

Arthur- Williams and Charles middle name
Phillip - The Duke
Peter - Catherine's grandfather and probably godfather to the new baby, Peter Philips

Now the names I want:

Feodora Augusta Mary
Leopold James Arthur (I've been wanting a Leopld since the Countess of Wessex was pregnant with the Viscount lol)

Now the names I want:

Leopold James Arthur (I've been wanting a Leopld since the Countess of Wessex was pregnant with the Viscount lol)

If it is any consolation, one of Lord Nicholas Windsor's (The Duke of Kent's 2nd son) sons is named Leopold.:flowers:

I don't think that Leopold is in the slightest bit likely. It sounds very Germanic...

Leopold is down among the 900s in the 2016 baby names list, with 30 registrations.
However Leo is a Top Twenty name, so for that reason I wouldn't have ruled it out.
The fact that (as mentioned above) there is already an eight-year-old Leopold Windsor in the extended family is more of an obstacle imo.

Last edited:
I really like David and Phillip for a boy. They both seem like they would mesh well with George/Charlotte

LaRae

William and Kate seem to be very conservative in their name choices as seen by the names George and Charlotte, both of which have connections to the Royal Family. I wouldn't expect any surprise then (like Estelle for example). If it is a girl, I think it will probably be Alice, perhaps with Victoria as a second name. If it is a boy, I assume Albert and/or David could be part of the name, though not necessarily the first name.

Maybe Benjamin if this is their last child and a boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom