Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what station would carry the wedding, but assuming because it's Prince William, it will be carried. With scads of commercial breaks, of course.

Since it's a Friday wedding, and I don't have classes on Fridays, that means I can stay up to watch it so hopefully some kind person here will provide a link to streaming video online in the event it's NOT carried here or people don't want to watch more commercials than wedding.

To all my friends in England.. who is the gentleman on the BBC who always does the commentary for important events?? He has that wonderful ability to comment just enough, in such an engaging manner, that you can really feel satisfied with the mix of reporting and the actual event taking place..

To all my friends in England.. who is the gentleman on the BBC who always does the commentary for important events??

There's more than one. Recent commentary has been done by either Huw Edwards or David Dimbleby (as David Dimbleby has aged, Huw Edwards has taken over more and more). The commentary for Charles and Diana's wedding, Diana's funeral, and the Queen Mother's funeral (as well as the Edinburgh tattoo up until 2008) was by Tom Fleming, who sadly passed away earlier this year.

Last edited:
CBC and CTV both showed Charles and Diana`s wedding live. My family was camping. I made my parents rent a hotel room for the night so we could watch.
ooh should be good then! I just hope it's uninterrupted.

Also to the last poster I loved the commentator who did Diana's funeral on BBC I do not cry very easily but they way he spoke got me sooo choked up before anyone had even arrived!

I am finding it hard to know where to put stuff with so many threads on this topic so here are some more stories

More stories coming out now:

How peopel will celebrate and the fact that two long weekends in a row will be many people take extra days off making it an 11 day celebration

Prince William and Kate Middleton 'People's' wedding: Millions to celebrate with street parties, pop concert and a holiday that could last 11 days | Mail Online

Kate's parents to help pay some of the costs but most to be paid for by the Queen and Charles (at least they are good for something it seems)

Kate's parents to help foot the bill: They could buy the dress or cake, but Queen and Charles will pay most | Mail Online

No doubt more to follow

The security for the day will be over 12.5 million pounds

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Kate Middleton-Prince William wedding: £12.5m police bill for big day

How Kate is impacting on fashion

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince William-Kate Middleton wedding: The biggest fashion parade of the decade

Speculation about where the honeymoon will be in Kenya

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince William-Kate Middleton wedding: Kenya for the happy couple?-

She will hopefully decide to take on some royal duties, to practice. However, there's no big royal event should could participate in.

You know...The only thing I can think of between now and the Wedding that would count as an official engagement would be attending along w/William the BAFTA's Awards Ceremony. Britain's Oscars for those who don't know what they are. :)

Isn't William now the President of the organization or at least Patron? I'm going on memory here from earlier this year, so feel free to correct my memory. :) Anyway...If so, then maybe?

BTW, I was watching video on YouTube of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson's wedding and I wonder if some of the things that happened there, we will see in April for William and Catherine's wedding. Sarah left Clarence House in a beautiful glass coach and I wonder if Catherine will get transported to the Abbey in it.
I think that would be great although, Kate would have to leave from Buckingham Palace, William's grandparents home, rather than Clarence House which is now the Wale's home.

I hate to bring out a slightly controversial analogy here, but would all those concerned about the cost of security for the royal wedding have similar views for a royal funeral, say that of Diana's?

Your tone comes across as rather sneering.

For the Australians on here - do you think we will be able to watch the wedding on TV (SBS, ABC or something) or do you think we will have to watch the Internet streaming.

I would love it to be on TV but with all the constant talk of a republic I am not sure if they will show it. At least it will be in the evening or night for us.

ok i have a really stupid question, but i want to have it answered anyway: is William (even as heir to heir) expected to put duty first? before family?

ok i have a really stupid question, but i want to have it answered anyway: is William (even as heir to heir) expected to put duty first? before family?

It's not a stupid question at all, but it would be useful if someone could explain what "duty before family" means. Are we talking about his cancelling a duty if Kate was ill or restricting his duties if he wants to spend more time with her?

For the Australians on here - do you think we will be able to watch the wedding on TV (SBS, ABC or something) or do you think we will have to watch the Internet streaming.

I would love it to be on TV but with all the constant talk of a republic I am not sure if they will show it. At least it will be in the evening or night for us.

I think it will be shown on TV. The republic issue is not an anti-Windsor or anti-Britain issue, and our connection is still close enough to warrant this event being shown on national TV, IMO. I reckon the ABC will show it, and perhaps even one of the commercial stations. If not, I'll just have to be content with the BBC or one of the other international news stations on Austar. And I have plenty of time to buy a DVD recorder so I'll be set. Midday, London, is 11pm east coast Australia, so it will be like sitting up all night to watch an Ashes test. I'll probably want to watch it live, and record it too.
:britflag::ausflag2::onering::twohearts::wine:

I would say that the ABC and possibly SBS along with Sky News will have it. One of the commercial channels will also probably run it but the commercial channels will also have football commitments and having paid millions for the rights the codes won't let them forego the showing of those games for the wedding.

I know that the Swans are playing that night at the SCG so I would assume Channel 10 will be doing that game. Channel 7 may have a rugby commitment and Channel 9 a League one.

That is assuming that the timing is like past BRF weddings - e.g. for Diana and Charles I had seen the balcony scene before going to bed at 11.00 p.m.

It's not a stupid question at all, but it would be useful if someone could explain what "duty before family" means. Are we talking about his cancelling a duty if Kate was ill or restricting his duties if he wants to spend more time with her?

yes, that would be my description...or if his children were starting school and he couldn't accompany them on their first day because he had to go to an official event, etc.

I think it will be shown on TV. The republic issue is not an anti-Windsor or anti-Britain issue, and our connection is still close enough to warrant this event being shown on national TV, IMO. I reckon the ABC will show it, and perhaps even one of the commercial stations. If not, I'll just have to be content with the BBC or one of the other international news stations on Austar. And I have plenty of time to buy a DVD recorder so I'll be set. Midday, London, is 11pm east coast Australia, so it will be like sitting up all night to watch an Ashes test. I'll probably want to watch it live, and record it too.
:britflag::ausflag2::onering::twohearts::wine:

Someone will show it. Depending on who has the rights for live football games that night will, and in the case of the rugby where the games are being played e.g. NZ would be finished by about 7.30 p.m. whereas Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra would be clashing but South Africa would probably be after they have finished in London.

The League is different and Channel 9 rarely show games live, even on Friday nights leaving that to Foxtel.

As for the republic debate - totally irrelevant. This is simply entertainment and nothing other than that.

yes, that would be my description...or if his children were starting school and he couldn't accompany them on their first day because he had to go to an official event, etc.

Official duties are his job - how many fathers are able to go with their kids on their first day at school? Very few if my experience of over 30 years of seeing kids on their first day.

I would expect him to do his job like any other person and like any other person have time off from that job for really personal stuff e.g. if Kate was giving birth he would get a pass to miss an engagement but if a kid was sick and she was able to be at home with the kid then I would expect, like any other father, that he went to work.

whats the likelyhood there will be package deals to the UK for flights and stuff just for the wedding?

I don't think BBC will broadcast the whole thing..... aren't they more left?

Last edited:
whats the likelyhood there will be package deals to the UK for flights and stuff just for the wedding?

I don't think BBC will broadcast the whole thing..... aren't they more left?

Doubtful they'll be package holidays just for the wedding.
And the BBC as well as ITV will more than likely show the whole wedding.
They show the Remembrance Service every year, Trooping of the Colour etc. The also showed Camilla and Charles wedding, or what we were allowed to see of it.

You know...The only thing I can think of between now and the Wedding that would count as an official engagement would be attending along w/William the BAFTA's Awards Ceremony. Britain's Oscars for those who don't know what they are. :)

Isn't William now the President of the organization or at least Patron? I'm going on memory here from earlier this year, so feel free to correct my memory. :) Anyway...If so, then maybe?

He patron and I would imagine he would attend this year. But that is not a big royal event such as Trooping of the Colour or Ascot for instance.

Depends, but most likely Yes.

Last edited:
How wonderful! Not only will the 100 lucky ones be invited to the ceremony but also the wedding breakfast at BP. This has got to be a first!

To the wedding breakfast too? Wah! I wanna go!

Me too! My mom jokingly said today you should have been the first one invited since you love the BRF so much!:lol:

Considering that Charles and Camilla's wedding was shown on 3 free to air stations, (ABC, Channels 7 and 9) same coverage just different commentators! I'm sure that William and Kate's wedding will be shown live and on more than one free to air station!

Considering that Charles and Camilla's wedding was shown on 3 free to air stations, (ABC, Channels 7 and 9) same coverage just different commentators! I'm sure that William and Kate's wedding will be shown live and on more than one free to air station!

Charles and Diana married on a Wednesday whereas this wedding will be on a Friday and the three commercial channels have commitments to the different football codes.

If possible I am sure that one of them will carry the wedding but if the football matches clash they have already signed contracts to show games so they would be in breach of those contracts if they didn't show the football.

The ABC and SBS, and probably SkyNews will show the wedding. That should be plenty of choices for people who want to watch it.

Of course the way the draw for the different codes works out that night it might be possible for one of them to show the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom