Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally!!! I can't believe they will be marrying quite soon! Hip, hip hourray!!! :britflag::royalrobes::heartflower::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

Vanesa.

Camilla needs to call herself wicked for all the things she's done.
I think it's rude and uncool to say that...even if she means it with the best of intentions.

Irrelevant, but "wicked" quite often and especially in this case means awesome, amazing, wonderful, out of this world cool. In that case, Camilla is pretty wicked. As well as W&C's engagement.

I just rewatched the interview and I think that when asked about their split, William said something along the lines of, "don't believe everything you read in the press" then proceeded to say they split while at university? Did I mis-hear that? Perhaps their 2007 split was just to give them privacy.

No, you heard right. The 2007 split was non-existent based on William's own remarks. The media keeps saying 2007 but that does not mesh with "at University." That said, I suppose it doesn't matter too much now exactly when the break-up happened.

Congratulations Prince William and Kate Middleton!!!!!!!. 2 Royal weddings next year!!!!! :fireworks: :fireworks:
:britflag: :englandflag: :walesflag:

Last edited:
So happy for a british royal wedding. Haven't watched the interview in its entirety yet, but at the press conference Kate seems really nervous and kept repeating "sort of" over and over. OK I will give her a break this time, but she should take some public speaking or be prepped ahead of time with some well articulated go to answers.

The Prince of Wales didn't seem terribly upbeat yesterday. Infact, he seemed rather annoyed by the interest that was shown, especially when asked about the engagement by media.

I found his attitude rather perculiar, myself. I mean, for goodness sake man, crack a smile and express your happiness in some small way that doesn't indulge your ability to become standoffish from time to time. Who wouldn't like to see a proud father and prospective father in-law express his supposed delight on such on occasion as this? Instead, he seemed rather put out by it all imo.

The Countess of Wessex spoke very warmly and you could tell she spoke with much sincerity. It was lovely.

OK I will give her a break this time

Oh, how considerate of you...lol.

Last edited:
Ring etc. and what Charles said

Why does everyone get it wrong ? Charles said "whatever in love means" !!!

For some reason this is always misquoted.

As for the ring : wrong in every way. Tempting fate.

Tempting fate? Perhaps for those who are of a supersticious mind...

It's a ring and rings are meant to be worn. Why keep hidden a beautiful piece of of jewellery that deserves to be worn and seen? That would be a great shame.

I think it a lovely gesture, though expected.

That ring cost £28,000 in 1981.... during these times of extreme economic difficulty in the UK (and most of the world, for that matter), I think that William spending thousands of pounds on a new ring would have been met with much public disapproval. While he does not receive public funds (other than his military salary), I think there is still great public concern about funding an extravagant royal family. Recycling this ring solves that problem.

As for arguments about the ring being cursed.... do you really think William would give his future bride something he thought was bad luck? I think it's more a message of how much he really trusts Kate, and how much he wants his mother's memory to be a part of his life.

I think that William spending thousands of pounds on a new ring would have been met with much public disapproval. While he does not receive public funds (other than his military salary), I think there is still great public concern about funding an extravagant royal family. Recycling this ring solves that problem.

I doubt very much that there would have been any resistance to a new ring. IMO, an engagement ring should never be recycled.

That ring may have cost £28K in the 80's, but it's value will be in the millions now, because of who's finger it resided upon. With regard to the wedding itself, my own personal take is that it is to be applauded. Its about time there was some fresh blood bought to the family, and even better that it is blood from common stock, rather than carrying on with the inbreeding. I'm truly amazed that some royal offspring hasn't got six fingers by now. :)

I just wanted to put down my happiness at this announcement and my best wishes for William & Kate.
I'm not going to get into any more than that - just Congratulations to the happy couple! :heart:

William has made it known that he wants to be called "William" according to reports dealing with his public appearances. Perhaps this is a continuation of that.

"Wicked" in this context means "Great!" Or as the British say, "Brilliant!" It's something that young people say, so to hear the Duchess use it is a bit odd.;)

I heard (between the lines) a lot of statements that seemed to be saying how much better prepared these two are for marriage than William's parents are.

Camilla used the term wicked because she had just come out of the theatre where she had watched a musical called "Wicked"

Why does everyone get it wrong ? Charles said "whatever in love means" !!!

For some reason this is always misquoted.

As for the ring : wrong in every way. Tempting fate.
I had the same feelings; this ring didn't bring happiness to his mother...
And no one of British Queens named Catherine was truly happy...

Catherine of Aragon: under huge pression, many tears (a few miscarriages) & finally - pushed away by her husband & separated from her only daughter.

Catherine Howard: forced to marry a man who could be her grandfather, when she loved another man; both finished tragically in very young age (in their 20ths!)

Catherine Parr: introduced the calmness in King's life, (two marriages earlier, including one with a man much older than she) she loved Elizabeth & Edward, had also good relationship with Mary, to Lady Jane Grey showed more tenderness and calmness than Jane's own mother...
But when she could finally marry Thomas Seymour, she didn't enjoy her happiness for so long...died already a year later, leaving a newborn daughter...also no joy for long expected maternity...

Catherine of Braganza: regularly betrayed by her husband, and childless.

As for "this" Catherine & William the best date for their wedding would be, IMO, 21th June:
- 29th Birthday of the bridegroom.
- 31st Wedding Anniversary of Carole & Michael Middleton, parents of the bride, who created together a truly happy family

i've read in an article that the ring was later priced at 250,000 pounds.

I'd like to think positively. I am certain that the engagement ring will become a treasured family heirloom and one day William and Catherine's son will be able to give it to his fiancee. :wub:

Lovely idea for William and Catherine's son to pass the engagement ring on to his fiance, but it would require that at the time of the engagement, either:

a) Catherine was dead; or
b) Catherine was no longer married to William!:flowers:

I agree with Diana's ex-secretary....Kate better sign a rock solid pre-nup.

I thought it might be the other way around. Anywyas, pre-nups are not enforceable in English law.

The name Catherine is just a name - not a catalogue of a set of rather unfortunate women who made bad choices.

Let's not load an irrelevant history onto Ms. Catherine Middleton in the 21st century.

I thought it might be the other way around. Anywyas, pre-nups are not enforceable in English law.

what do you mean? that she will not have claim over assets etc in case of divorce?

ps: im sorry i meant to quote crownprincess5!

Camilla needs to call herself wicked for all the things she's done.
I think it's rude and uncool to say that...even if she means it with the best of intentions.
Perhaps when you made your comment, you were unaware that:

a) "wicked" is commonly used in the UK to mean wonderful or great
b) Camilla had just come out of a performance of the musical, "Wicked", and hence, she used the term.
Nothing wrong with making a choice to be with her man, but I wished she could have had an enriching work experience and show some independence in those however many years, but alas. Congrats to them again!
Are you suggesting that just because she worked for her family business, it could not be enriching?
Irrelevant, but "wicked" quite often and especially in this case means awesome, amazing, wonderful, out of this world cool. In that case, Camilla is pretty wicked. As well as W&C's engagement.
Well said.
No, you heard right. The 2007 split was non-existent based on William's own remarks. The media keeps saying 2007 but that does not mesh with "at University." That said, I suppose it doesn't matter too much now exactly when the break-up happened.
Exactly my reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know I got the impression that he was babbling on a bit and made a mistake. She even looked at him like "what are you talking about - university?".

I'm delighted to hear this news and soooo touched to see that William gave Kate his mother's engagement ring. Congratulations to them both!

I will think positive about those two..... surely some may interprete any negative future in the name Catherine as well as the ring, but I personally find it a wonderful gesture giving her his mother´s engagement ring.
Also: they have learned from the past and especially William experienced their parents separation and the "internal war" at first hand, so he surely may want to make it better..... and I am confident, that he is also not intending to have a mistress from the first minute, as his father did.
BYe Bine

Re the ring.....

I am divorced. I have an extremely nice engagement ring (not in the league of Diana's ring though LOL) and my daughter wants me to pass it to her, maybe not as an engagement ring but one she will wear neverthless.

Kate is obviously happy to wear it and that's all that matters.

Also: they have learned from the past and especially William experienced their parents separation and the "internal war" at first hand, so he surely may want to make it better..... and I am confident, that he is also not intending to have a mistress from the first minute, as his father did.

And yet the pregnancy and infidelity rumors shall begin none-the-less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom