Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal wedding: Prince William insists on role for Kate Middleton's family - Telegraph

Generations of royal in-laws have complained that they have been largely ignored by the Royal family once their sons or daughters have married. But palace aides say the Prince has made it “absolutely clear” that the Middletons will not suffer the same fate, and that they and the Royal family will play an “equal part” in the couple’s lives.

I think Kate is being treated like a very special person she attends special events for her fience HRH Prince William and HM Queen Elizabith knows very well not so close but she recognizes Kate.

for Kate, this is a dream come true- all those years of waiting and heartaches, and now finally all the she and her family worked for has come true.
but now the real trouble starts. even though shes secure in a commitment,now they can never have the privacy they hoped for. Its all over for her, and no matter how much prince William threatens to sue the paps, they can never completely be stopped and Kate will be hounded like crazy! even though she's a tough cookie, and she may not be driven mad like Diana due to lack of privacy, but she will be affected quite a lot. She got the ring, but things will get very very tough now. forever.

Last edited:
I think the Queen finally realized that while tradition is a wonderful thing, you can longer afford to treat these women like prizes won, to be buckled under the weight, to allow them to breathe and come into their own....just as other new princesses in other royal houses have. With the exception of poor Princess Masako of Japan. That is a disgrace what they did to her.

William seems to have his head on his shoulders straight. He is not neurotic like his mom, or a wimpy, whiny baby like his father. He has the steely determination of both grandparents on his father's side. I think the way he and Catherine are handling this wedding is the first real sign we will see of how this young man will take charge once he is king. The concept of modern views, mixed with tradition, BUT, without the ignorance or lack of understanding the 21st century.

If Kate understands the restriction of her new position, then she can adjust, as long as she truly loves William, which I don't doubt. There are drawbacks to almost everything in life, but in this case, all she needs really is enough emotional intelligence, and absolute certainty that she wants to be a wife to William for who he is and nothing else. The rest is not that hard. Do charity works/duties, stay away from the press, and don't piss off the in-laws. She's done just that up to this point, so unless she does a complete turn about after the ring is on her finger, she'll be safe.

Charles and Diana married on a Wednesday whereas this wedding will be on a Friday and the three commercial channels have commitments to the different football codes.

If possible I am sure that one of them will carry the wedding but if the football matches clash they have already signed contracts to show games so they would be in breach of those contracts if they didn't show the football.

You do realise that there is the slight thing called timedifferense? If they are married noon BST then its 6 AM on the Eastcoast and if they marry at the usuall time britts play fotballgames, at 1500 BST its still only 10.00 EST. I watch ESPNs college fotball and those games begin at 1800 CET, around noon EST. I dont think the wedding will be to late because of the darkness

I think the Queen finally realized that while tradition is a wonderful thing, you can longer afford to treat these women like prizes won, to be buckled under the weight, to allow them to breathe and come into their own....just as other new princesses in other royal houses have. With the exception of poor Princess Masako of Japan. That is a disgrace what they did to her.

You cannot compare the treatment of Diana to anything taking place today. It is crucial to remember that Lord Mountbatten's influence was still a strong force in those days. If not for him, Charles would have married Camilla then and probably have been faithful to her. Diana was 19, which accounted for a good deal of her troubles and since she came from nobility it was assumed she knew enough about protocol. I also don't see how anyone could have foreseen the media interest in Diana, as it had never happened before. I think it is to the RF's credit that they have eased Kate in and she is definitely going in with her eyes open.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot compare the treatment of Diana to anything taking place today. It is crucial to remember that Lord Mountbatten's influence was still a strong force in those days. If not for him, Charles would have married Camilla then and probably have been faithful to her. Diana was 19, which accounted for a good deal of her troubles and since she came from nobility it was assumed she knew enough about protocol. I also don't see how anyone could have foreseen the media interest in Diana, as it had never happened before. I think it is to the RF's credit that they have eased Kate in and she is definitely going in with her eyes open.

Yes I can. What I am saying is that they have learned much since then. This young lady seems like she will not have the difficulties Diana had. At the end of the day, The Firm must realize that when a new person joins, they must guide them, show them the way, make sure they have the tools to do the job.

William seems to be well aware of this. I admire both him and his future bride for their taking charge the way they do. It seems like the cobwebs will be dusted off once and for all when he becomes King, and she Queen. And that level of love and respect that was, shall we say, mired back in the late mid-80's to the late 90's, will finally be a simply a memory.

Best wishes to them both. The Queen knows he is the future of the Monarchy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Wills and Kate have the advantage of having lived together, and they know what it's like to have broken their engagement - and got back together again.

I take my hat off to both of them - they deserve a clear run.

^where do they live now? and just for my information: they lived together in university, and then didn't live together till earlier this year when she moved with him in Northern Wales? so they've lived a total of 4 years together (3 in university, and then this year)?

^where do they live now? and just for my information: they lived together in university, and then didn't live together till earlier this year when she moved with him in Northern Wales? so they've lived a total of 4 years together (3 in university, and then this year)?

That sounds right. :)

You do realise that there is the slight thing called timedifferense? If they are married noon BST then its 6 AM on the Eastcoast and if they marry at the usuall time britts play fotballgames, at 1500 BST its still only 10.00 EST. I watch ESPNs college fotball and those games begin at 1800 CET, around noon EST. I dont think the wedding will be to late because of the darkness

Iluvbertie is in Australia, not North America, so the time difference places the royal wedding in the evening for her.

In Australia the time difference means the wedding will probably be between about 8.00 pm and 10.30pm Friday night Eastern Time here. That is the very time that our Friday night football games are being played, and why I will be at the SCG to watch the Swans play that night.

To give you an idea of the time differences as I am typing this the Thursday night Thanksgiving game between Dallas and New Orleans is on. It is at 14.24 in the 2nd but 9.28 a.m. Friday morning here.

in reference to Diana's training, we all know she claimed she got no help from them and that she never heard them say well done. While I can imagine maybe the second thing could have been true. The first one as we learned in later years was false apparently she did get some form of training. Obviously I'm aware that maybe Charles didn't understand his future bride's worries at the time which thankfully William is well aware of the strain it could bring on Catherine therefore he is also there helping her along the way so he doesn't make the same mistake but I've read Diana refused some of the training such as learning welsh and didn't want others teaching her or something to that affect, I apologize if those aren't the exact words that were used.

In Australia the time difference means the wedding will probably be between about 8.00 pm and 10.30pm Friday night Eastern Time here. That is the very time that our Friday night football games are being played, and why I will be at the SCG to watch the Swans play that night.

To give you an idea of the time differences as I am typing this the Thursday night Thanksgiving game between Dallas and New Orleans is on. It is at 14.24 in the 2nd but 9.28 a.m. Friday morning here.

They show American Football in Australia? I had no idea. My stepson is at that game no doubt freezing his tush off in the 32 degree wind chill. It was 80 degrees here in Dallas just yesterday. :lol:

:previous: No, I don't believe it's shown here. I think 'bertie' was explaining the time difference ;)

Last edited:
They show American Football in Australia? I had no idea. My stepson is at that game no doubt freezing his tush off in the 32 degree wind chill. It was 80 degrees here in Dallas just yesterday. :lol:

Yes - every week - Mondays we get one or two Sunday afternoon games on Fox and the Sunday night game and on Tuesday afternoons we get the Monday night game live. The first game starts about 5.00 a.m. Monday morning with the second game about 8.15 and the Sunday night game starts around 12.15 pm Monday afternoon. The Monday night game will start around 12.30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon and will be finishing as I get home from school on Tuesday afternoon.

We used to only get the Superbowl on SBS (the channel for ethnic minorites) but since pay TV came in the mid-90s we have been getting more coverage.

And the press will take notice of the Queen - not.

She asked for this with Diana and they simply ignored her then. They will do the same now.

Until it is illegal to publish pictures and stories about people and their private lives, without their consent, the press will write what it likes so long as it sells papers and the public are prepared to buy it.

Of course if the private life involves illegal activities then there is no problem in publishing the story - so long as it is after the illegality is proven in a court of law.

Oh dear! The Royals want to be photographed, but only on their terms. Ain't gonna happen. I think an attempt to stop the press reporting what they want to report will be like a red rag to a bull. I don't, for one moment, agree with paps chasing people on motorbikes, of course, or trespassing, etc., but long telephoto lenses are a fact of life and as long as the photographer is not unlawfully on private property I don't see how they can be stopped from using those lenses, or why they should be. The Royals are fair game in this way, I think. It's up to them to make sure they aren't doing anything they don't want to be photographed doing, or that they do it somewhere the photographers can't see them. They have plenty of security people available to monitor their boundaries and warn them.

I too sincerely hope it's not true. From the article it seems to be second or third-hand through friends of one of the Spencer daughters, so hopefully it's not accurate. I cannot think of a worse idea. :eek:

Yes - every week - Mondays we get one or two Sunday afternoon games on Fox and the Sunday night game and on Tuesday afternoons we get the Monday night game live. The first game starts about 5.00 a.m. Monday morning with the second game about 8.15 and the Sunday night game starts around 12.15 pm Monday afternoon. The Monday night game will start around 12.30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon and will be finishing as I get home from school on Tuesday afternoon.

We used to only get the Superbowl on SBS (the channel for ethnic minorites) but since pay TV came in the mid-90s we have been getting more coverage.

Interesting. I didn't realize that. Well lord knows nothing interferes with football in this house. Hence why I watch tv in the Family Room where I can be master of my own remote control. :D

Wow. I would have stayed away from letting the Earl speak. He, IMO, rather likes to self-promote and this would be a good avenue for him to do so.

Ah! It's always a good day when the Cowboys lose. .. . :whistling:

:D

I sincerely hope that Earl Spencer's involvement in the wedding is limited to a Bible reading, if that. I just have a hard time believing that William would risk the impression of replaying his mother's funeral, much less with Elton John performing, too. :ermm:

I can't imagine William would request Earl Spencer to speak at the wedding ceremony. Not after the last debacle which is was seen by millions of people around the world. I don't see Elton John performing either. I am sure William very much wants his mother to be a part of the ceremony, but it shouldn't be about her. It should be about them and their special day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom