Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, that is not healthy for a woman

It would be unhealthy for anyone, man or woman, to base their life solely around their partners very existance.

I don't think it has anything to do with women's lib, as it's an issue that can effect both genders :)

Last edited:
William has been with her for nearly a decade. Maybe he was basing HIS life around her, rather than the other way around. Or maybe, just maybe.......they both see in the other person what is lacking in themselves. When you meet your soul mate, that happens. They are the yin to your yang. Unless Kate spent every waking day she's been with him doing nothing but talking about him, musing about weddings and future children, what her coronation dress will look like, which of the Queen's jewels will look nice with her hair and "oh by the way, how handsome is my Prince?"......it's unfair to say she's based her life solely around him. If she did, she'd have no friends, no relationship with her family and would have zero outside interests other than what he's interested in.

You misread what I meant. I thought Kate had given up her sense of self by having her life surround William. To me, that is not healthy for a woman.

I understood what you meant, I just don't agree it. What she does or doesn't do has no affect on you or me as women. She has had to adapt her life to a certain extent due is her unique situation. Any woman involved with Prince Wiliam would have to do that if they wanted the relationship to work. She is marrying into the Royal Family, which in itself doesn't allow for a lot of independence or self interest.

My impression of Kate is that she and William have a pretty equal relationship with a lot of respect between them.

^the daily mail quotes some weird stuff. that "whoever lives here must be rich" remark came from harry, not william, and i read this in another article by the daily mail a while back.

Well, the fact that it was written by Richard Kay, that explains a lot. It explains so very much. :whistling:

No clue where these 2 go but their already determining life after the wedding..interesting though IMO

Royal Wedding: Will the princess get her wish? - Telegraph

THE MINDER II - mirror.co.uk

Idk bout these reports but I must admit I am scared for life after the wedding I hope Kate adjusts well and I hope they can both pull it off seeing as I can't bare another divorce plus I've put so much faith in these two I don't want my hopes crushed again. And I know there are alot of people are rooting for them I just hope history doesn't repeat itself.

So I dunno if this falls in Diana's forum or in here but mods feel free to move if needed.

Diana's greatest legacy: A son who'll be a better husband than cold Charles | Mail Online

And now for something completely different....

I read this article and by the time I was done, I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. I could also see William and Kate together reading this too and totally cracking up laughing.

A dress from Primark and Charles chatting to the bride's bouquet. In typically hilarious style, the queen of romance imagines Kate's big day | Mail Online

Royal wedding: Prince William and Kate Middleton want 'people's ceremony' - Telegraph

Prince William and Kate Middleton want their wedding to be a “people’s ceremony” with as many ordinary members of the public invited as possible.

One of the key considerations in the choice of venue was the scope for throwing open the service to members of the public, rather than restricting the ceremony to “official” guests.

-------------

Note that neither Westminster Abbey nor St. Paul's Cathedral seat anything close to 8,000 people without major construction work (when seating was added for the coronation, it took 5 months of construction). I think it's safe to take that number with a big grain of salt.

Edit: The fanciful number doesn't show up directly on the article, but on the Telegraph's royal wedding page, it's trumpeted as "Up to 8,000 may attend the People's Wedding." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So I dunno if this falls in Diana's forum or in here but mods feel free to move if needed.

Diana's greatest legacy: A son who'll be a better husband than cold Charles | Mail Online

I read the article, and no matter how inaccurate, it does make me realize how special Diana was to William and how much of his values are from her (not to say he has none from his father, of course.)

It also makes me realize why he gave Catherine his mother's engagement ring. He wants that strength and those values to be carried on.

If you marry a man with a particular job, or his own business, you will often have to tailor your life to his. I married a man in the military - this entailed me having to fit in with certain things. I knew this when I married him. This did not mean that I had no personality, or that I lost what I had. It was just a fact of life!

It can also work the other way round, if a woman has a job or a family business that requires the husband to take it into account when arranging his life. As far as the Royal Families are concerned, this happen with the husbands of all the Queens, and also for the new Prince Daniel in Sweden. That is also a fact of life.

If you are so wedded to your own way that you cannot adapt to your spouse, then perhaps you are better to remain single! Well - that's my view, anyway! :)

The criticisms of Kate/Catherine continue...thought I have to admit, I still wonder if she will have a separate identity now from William's.

Kate Middleton Has No Identity Of Her Own Not Down To Earth Royal Prince William Marriage Engagement Princess Children Wedding

That article on Kate Middleton sums up my thoughts exactly. Thankyou Sonjapearl for the link.

Yet, at the end of the day, I hope their marriage will be successful for them personally and for the future of the British Monarchy. I think that the BRF have taken about all the hits they can withstand over the last 30 years and still continue.

^ The articles just keep coming.

I know it's kinda ridiculous I thought it may calm down a bit but I feel as though it's getting worse

They both looked pretty damn good in 2004, especially Kate. She looked great back then. I mean, she's still attractive and looks good with her blown out glossy hair and everything, but I still like her OLD look better.

About William "breaking with protocol" and stuff (in that DM piece several posts up) I can only assume they are exaggerating (big surprise, right?):D But let's face it. We all have known for a long time that William is no pushover. He tends to know what he wants. I believe that he will not let flunkies made any crucial decisions for him and Kate. I also remember reading that Charles was the same way about his wedding, taking a strong hand in every detail, in particular the music.

It is their wedding so it's only fair that they have some input. And it's good to know that William is no pushover. A trait that a future king will need to have.

I think the Royals should be the ones to tell the courtiers what they want done, and that it is up to the courtiers to work out how to do it, not the other way around.

One should not forget that William has had Camilla. I doubt Charles would have ever allowed a courtier to try to cower her. Ever since she moved into Clarence House, William could see how she managed staff - for it could be read that she organized Charles' household and office in a way most comfortable for him and that staff has relied on her to arrange things in a way to please the boss. I have no doubt William, who as a child must have heard his mother complain about the "men in grey suits", has learned a lot from Camilla and will never allow a courtier to go against his wife's wishes - especially as he surely chose a wife as well who thinks his wishes and needs are very important.

Plus Catherine surely learned a lesson or two working for her parents - she as family was after all superior to the staff there and thus surely learned to handle employees in a friendly way (otherwise we would have read about it in the DM).

Prince William: Even the Queen's left in the dark! Frustration as the Prince takes charge - and his grandmother 'hasn't a clue what's going on' | Mail Online

The decision by Prince William to oversee every last detail of his wedding has caused friction and complicated the preparations, sources claimed last night.

They said William has insisted his four-strong team of aides take charge – and has kept Buckingham Palace, which would normally play a key role, ‘largely in the dark’.

I think the reality here is that William has learnt to keep information down to a very small select group. This then prevents leaks to the media, that's annoyed it seems the people at the DM, without Buckingham Palace staff being involved in these early stages, their press sources are useless as they don't know anything! So instead write a nasty article about what a control freak William is!

Prince William to enforce 'zero tolerance' crack down on paparazzi - Telegraph

Prince William is embarking on a "zero tolerance" policy towards the paparazzi which will see him take immediate legal action if he feels his or Kate Middleton's privacy is breached in the run-up to their wedding.

Prince William's nanny says engagement is 'fan-flaming-tastic' - Telegraph

Prince William's former nanny has spoken of her joy at the engagement between the Prince and Kate Middleton, describing their union as "fan-flamingtastic".

Tiggy Pettifer, who was previously called Tiggy Legge-Bourke, said that she was "thrilled" and "chuffed" for the couple, and was confident they will enjoy "60 years of marital bliss".

Bishop Pete Broadbent is only a Suffragan Bishop within the Diocese of London which is run by Bishop Richard Chartres (the chap who ran the Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph).

The area of Willesden where Broadbent works is just one of four areas in London Diocese.

I wouldn't take his comments too seriously. Just like in "normal" life, Bishops, Archdeaconsand other clergy are forever seeking "preferment" (promotion), and talking to the press helps them to raise their profile.

Can somone please explain the armchair theory? Also is anyone supprised she can speak? I never heard her talk at all till the engagement. I wondering who she is, I feel like if you are going to be married to the prince and future king, your subjects should at least know stuff about you. Like how you talk, what interests you and what do you plan on doing with your duties???. Felt like I knew Di more before she got married then Katie. Anyone else know what I mean???

I also think that article before had some truth to it. If you spent 8 years becoming who the royals want you to be, one day your going to wake up and realise you have no identity :(. If they divorce, its gonna spell doom for monarchy probably.

I hope this post is ok, don't want to get in trouble again

Last edited:
I am simply delighted for William and his bride-to-be. I know Princess Diana is smiling upon them and will watch over her handsome son.

Can somone please explain the armchair theory? Also is anyone supprised she can speak? I never heard her talk at all till the engagement. I wondering who she is, I feel like if you are going to be married to the prince and future king, your subjects should at least know stuff about you. Like how you talk, what interests you and what do you plan on doing with your duties???. Felt like I knew Di more before she got married then Katie. Anyone else know what I mean???I also think that article before had some truth to it. If you spent 8 years becoming who the royals want you to be, one day your going to wake up and realise you have no identity :(. If they divorce, its gonna spell doom

for monarchy probably.

I hope this post is ok, don't want to get in trouble again

Allow me to remind you. No one heard Diana speak prior to their engagement announcement either. You could not have known more about Diana prior to her engagement since they only breifly dated prior to the announcement and Prince Charles barely knew Diana himself. You are re-writing history here.

Everyone will get to know Kate in time, just as we got to know Diana over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom