Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply Zonk!

If you look at this link, there's a bunch of photos and in two of them you can see the portrait they are standing under very clearly.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

I think it's William IV ?
But would love to know for sure. :)

There are definitely some people who can't move on.

I dont think Camilla should have attended the memorial service as it was a tribute to Diana and I think that speaks for itself.

That being said. Camilla is William's stepmother, they seem to have a good relationship, and he gets on with her family. I would definitely expect to see Tom, Laura and their families.

I would also expect to put her sister and brother (Camilla's) on the B List. Those who are asked after the A List people say yes or no. I would expect that William has a fairly large family (both mother and father side) as well as the government official, foreign guests, friends of the bride and groom, etc. But Camilla will definitely be there. I will irk some who will see her sitting in Diana's seat. But I think that is normal for those who lose anyone.

Before the memorial service to Diana people said the same thing - how could Diana fanatics stop her attending but they did didn't they?

There are some people who simply believe that Camilla shouldn't do anything with regard to the princes that would have been done by Diana - such as attend their weddings as the wife of their father.

Many people haven't moved on and never will - to many Diana is still the saint and Camilla the sinner.

Yes, but a memorial service for Diana is entirely different from a wedding for Prince William, don't you agree? I think it was proper for Camilla not to attend the memorial service. However, this is the celebration of the living and as William's step-mother, public opinion of the Diana supporters won't be of any consequence since this is William's day....not Diana's.

I think that is George IV....William IV always seemed to have a profile shot or his hair to one side. Unless of course its when of those wicked uncles!

ETA: Actually the last picture is a closer pic...and you are right...it is William IV...look at the slope of the head.

Last edited:
i must say- i observed kate was more quiet and 'mature', in my eyes, than William. She looked more serious, was thinking visibly about the answers she was giving, and even though i have never been a fan and never will be, i was still a little touched by her swallowing nervously and licking her lips in between questions:)...she's mature enough to know what she's taking on and how difficult it will be. She doesn't seem to be jumping around gleefully thinking i've bagged a prince'...she was subdued, and serene, no silly giggling on her part.
i have a question though: were they given the questions before hand?
also, i did notice at one point William interrupted when the interviewer when he kept saying "its been a long time waiting" or something along those lines, and it irritated William a little:)

She doesn't seem to be jumping around gleefully thinking i've bagged a prince'...she was subdued, and serene, no silly giggling on her part.

Well what did you expect? That she should have acted like a child? She's a grown woman. Of course she's not going to giggle or act like a love struck fool.

i have a question though: were they given the questions before hand?

I asked myself the same question, but in the end it doesnt matter since it has been clear for years what questions would be asked (why so long etc etc).

I said before that I found Kate stumbling at bit natural but she was increadibly bad prepared for the one question that was bound to come, about Diana. Apart from that she would have loved to meet her and that she is a person to look up to the stumbling around and searching for words was borderline embarrassing.

I asked myself the same question, but in the end it doesnt matter since it has been clear for years what questions would be asked (why so long etc etc).

I said before that I found Kate stumbling at bit natural but she was increadibly bad prepared for the one question that was bound to come, about Diana. Apart from that she would have loved to meet her and that she is a person to look up to the stumbling around and searching for words was borderline embarrassing.

Catherine will get better at dealing with the media and speaking extempore with time, just as Camilla has now.

Considering that this was obviously not a rehearsed interview, and it was the FIRST interview she has given, I thought she did incredibly well. However, it wouldn't have mattered how she answered any of the questions, since you seem to find fault with everything she does anyway.

I wish there was a 'like' button just as there is on Facebook. Or a 'dislike' one for that matter.

I agree with you muriel. It all takes time. Let the woman find her feet and familiarise herself with speaking on such a public platform.

Last edited:
Its always amazing how people aren't given a learning curve from going to a fairly private person to speaking in an interview that is going to be seen by millions of people. Unlike William, she wasn't born into this. I think she did a decent job (with the exception of that question).

I think she did a decent job (with the exception of that question).

Exactly what I said.

texankitcat
Considering that this was obviously not a rehearsed interview, and it was the FIRST interview she has given, I thought she did incredibly well. However, it wouldn't have mattered how she answered any of the questions, since you seem to find fault with everything she does anyway.

How do you know it wasnt rehearsed? And wow, given my post wasnt really critical about Kate herself I wonder on what basis you got the impression that I find fault with everything she does.

:previous:
The title is completely misleading to the context in the article itself. At no point does it say that Camilla had advised William to give Kate time to back out. It says she was supportive and gave advise when asked due to her experience.
Exactly what I said.
How do you know it wasnt rehearsed? And wow, given my post wasnt really critical about Kate herself I wonder on what basis you got the impression that I find fault with everything she does.
It didn't look in the least rehearsed primarily due to the responses. As for your second question.....My apologies if I missed something in previous posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, Congratulations to William and Catherine! I wish them lifelong hapiness together :flowers:

A few years ago, I really doubted that these two would end up together - After all they had been together for so many years and since a very young age... I didn't see it happening, I considered it more of a puppy love relationship that would end sooner or later than actually result in an engagement.

Kate looked nice at the engagement. I don't think we can expect huge things from her fashion-wise, she doesn't seem like a fashion kind of girl. But I have a very nice impression of her from the interviews. She seemed humble, down-to-earth and genuine. She seems to love WIlliam very much, and marry him for who is, and not at all to become princess of wales, queen, and all that. However, for someone who might end up as one of the most photographed women on earth, she really is quite dull and ordinary. But if Wills loves her, that's what matters. She did however seem nervous, but then again who wouldn't be? But she doesn't strike me as the most gracefull, elegant lady... She really is just an ordinary girl from Britain, but she is still young, who knows what she will turn into, maybe she's a diamond on the rocks?

When I first heard that William had given Kate Diana's engagement ring, I was quite schocked - It seems to me that that ring represents a lot of bad luck, cheating, a sad story, really .. But hearing his reasons, it all made sense.. However I think I would have chosen to have a fresh start, a clean slate, just to represent Will&Kate and as little as possible Charles&Diana. But that's just me...

All in all, I was thrilled to hear the news and now I CAN'T WAIT for this wedding! ;)

Question was ....You are obviously going to enter this family, the most famous royal family in the world. William's mother was this massive iconic figure. The most famous figure of our age, is that worrying? Is that intimidating? Do you think about that a lot both of you, you particularly Kate, obviously?

I thought the same until she finally gave the right answer bluh bluh...."so, yes, I do"

Last edited:
Oh dear, what is the wicked step mother up to?

Did you read the article? I'can't see anything wrong in the DOC attitude:

"Prince William gets on very well with the Duchess of Cornwall and she is always keen to offer advice and support to both the princes if they ask for it."

This might be a bit off topic, but ever since the engagement was announced, I have seen a ton of articles on how Kate is a fashion icon, beautiful, classy, etc. My feelings on Kate had been neutral -- i.e., I never thought she was beautiful, and her fashion sense seemed presentable at best. And I thought the media, over all (to what my limited views can see), felt the same way.

But now with the engagement, people are tripping all over themselves to praise and fawn over Kate. Am I the only person who is surprised by this?

Nope. Kate is the new Diana (to some). She will be the face who can launch the sale of thousands of magazines.

I think the interview did change the mind of many (some will never like her or her family). I think fashion icon is pushing it as well. I think her style is boring but it works for her. Its important to remember that Diana didn't come until her own fashion wise until a couple of years after her marriage.

And I do wish she would do something else with her hair...but that is just me.

Kate has a completely different personality than Diana.
And she is a stable character.
It is only journalists who will compare her to her mother-in-law.
And that's only because they have to fill their column inches!

Kate seems like a very stable, secure person. I just hope she can keep herself, her sense of self and her feet on the ground as she becomes a member of the royal family. No doubt, she will be the most intensely publicized member of that family. So it will be interesting to see how she deals with that. Her ability to trust the right people -- her parents, siblings, plus Charles and William, Harry, Camilla (these people must have her best interests at their hearts) will be the saving grace, I think. Faith in their advice, their guidance will be invaluable. I hope she learns to ignore the Daily Mail. It's sick the way the Daily Mail picks apart, for example, her parents' reaction to the announcement. They pick on her mother so much because of the flight attendant thing and it's so stupid. They portray Carole as if she "triumphs" now. Triumph? Like a self-made millionaire who formerly was working-class cannot just be happy for her daughter? The DM has to project calculation, manipulation, "triumph" onto her smile! It's absurd and insulting to people who are working-class. Why is it only people born rich can have genuine feelings? Working people must be all trying get what they can get? :ermm::bang:

Well the DM is playing to its target audience. There are certain people who don't like rich people, nor do they like people who don't know their place and reach for the stars. Sometimes people who are not well off are just as judgemental and snobby as those who are well off.

I mean this is off topic, but you should have it read it weeks ago when the Rooneys (Wayne of footballer fame) went on a vacation. The rage! You would have thought Rooney stole from a bank, or the British public is paying everything. It was very similar to the rage those expressed regarding Beatrice and Eugenie's protection officers while clubbing. I realize those who pay for tickets are supporting him financially, but still. It was amazing.

In terms of Kate's fashion style, she had more "public" exposure before getting married compared to Diana -- therefore, whatever style she had, I think, will not change very much in the near future. That's why I am suddenly surprise at the avalanche of articles about her fashion and taste -- as far as I knew, nobody went out of their way to comment about it until now.
I personally think Kate comes across as "boring" to some (including myself) is because we already know too much about her. Unlike Diana who seemed to appear out of nowhere, Kate had been with William for eight years. There's nothing we don't know about her (generally speaking), and if anything she was over exposed in some sense.
I suppose that's why journalists are scrambling to find something new to write about her.

And something else that has been bothering me (I have nothing against Kate -- It's just that some of these articles that are splashed all over the place really irks me) is the fact that several newspaper articles refer to Kate as "the future queen." Yes, in the light of current medical advancement and the general health of William, there is a very good chance that Kate will live to be Queen Consort. However, isn't it a bit premature to be calling her future queen? I don't recall people referring Diana to "future queen" that much. I could be wrong of course, since I was very young when Diana came into the scene. But it's strange that Camilla isn't referred to as future queen while as Kate already is. I understand that some people will have a problem accepting Camilla as future queen due to her age (she's not as young and "fresh" as Kate) and her scandal with Prince Charles.

The DM were playing the "righteous anger" card, as they often do. With Wayne it wasn't so much the vacation as it was because for a second time he has been found out cheating this time whilst his wife was pregnant. What makes the anger more righteous is that he put the family situation in jeopardy. Enough of Wayne.

They most definitely referred to Diana as a future Queen.

I distincty remember a young man, asking her if he could kiss the hand of his future Queen. And she said..yes.

And actually while Rooney cheated there were numerous comments about displaying such ostenatious wealth during these rough economic times. Like I said...the DM caters to an audience that frequently feels disenfranchised.

Last edited:
Did you read the article? I'can't see anything wrong in the DOC attitude:

"Prince William gets on very well with the Duchess of Cornwall and she is always keen to offer advice and support to both the princes if they ask for it."

I made the above comment in jest! :)

Personally, I like Kate's style. It's classic and understated which I think is appropriate. Flashy, daring and dramatic isn't her style, and IMO not something that would befit her as a Royal. Diana developed her own style which was classic lines, elegance with a creative use of jewelry. She also spent a ton of money on her wardrobe, which wasn't received well by the public from what I recall. As far as boring.....not sure what you mean by that.

Well what did you expect? That she should have acted like a child? She's a grown woman. Of course she's not going to giggle or act like a love struck fool.
yes i thought she might act a LITTLE childish (maybe thats not the right word), or might let out a giggle or two, which she didnt. it was not 'of course' for me. and i didn't literally mean she would jump up or down. i just meant that i thought she might lose composure at some time, which she didn't, so i'm happy.

Last edited:
her parents will pay for some of it...but how will they manage? they don't nearly have the kind of funds needed for this!maybe the'll just pay for the wedding dress, and their guests?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom