Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kate handled herself very well during the photo session and interview. Yes, she was obviously slightly nervous but that makes her more endearing. At first, I was a little disappointed she didn't have her own ring, but after I saw her wearing it I realized how touching it was.
Can't wait for the wedding - she will be a beautiful bride.

How could they stand to get married at the Abbey?

The perfect place, really. It's where Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh married; and the place where William and Kate will possibly be crowned some day. I hope that it is held there. It's not as if Prince William has never entered the place since 1997 for services and celebrations of happier events. They need to make their own memories & not tip-toe around the past.

You don't need a man or a love in your life to keep you occupied. I'm single right now, but I'm back in school, I have my friends and family......lots of things for me to do. Pinning your happiness on a relationship is foolhardy and will only lead you to sadness.

Good point. :cool: But I can understand how ilovemonaco feels. I mean, the media has this horrible way of rubbing the whole fairy tale nonsense in our faces. Especially when they get a story like this. So it's good to be aware of this and keep perspective! :cool:

I love Prince Harry's official response! So cute! He gets a sister, which he always wanted! :D

I was rather shocked to hear that he gave her Diana's ring...but it just looks so great on her finger..and the reason he gave for it was wonderful. Such a stunning ring to be locked up for another 14 -25 yrs. Im glad he gave it to her.

Wow. What a strange interview. They both didn't look very happy--especially Kate. She barely smiled or talked. It looked like they were doing a special about helping children with aids...

when William was talking about how great Kate's family was and then said he 'hoped she felt the same' about his family, she didn't say anything haha. Awkward.

Kate's deep V-neck alarms me. Not very tasteful. But I have to remember that's just her signature (one and only) style of top.

Oh yeah, so unhappy: myroyal's: ENGAGEMENT

puh-lease.

Although I will agree her shirt is cut a tad too deep, imo.

Last edited:
How could they stand to get married at the Abbey?Where Diana's funeral service was? That's so depressing!!!!

I think the fact that William gave Catherine Diana's engagement ring shows that he is not letting the past prevent him from moving on....otherwise that ring would never see the light of day again. Besides...if people avoided the churches where their parents funerals took place there would be precious few churches with people attending. Life goes on, and what better way to banish the shadows of a funeral than with a wedding of two people who love each other, and that the deceased parent would have been over the moon with joy to attend?

I found this pic of Diana & William from 1983 in New Zealand. Even at 9 months-old, William was taken with Diana's engagement ring!

LINK: THE ROYAL WORLD: PRINCESS DIANA

(I hope I did this right, this is the 1st time I've tried to post a link! Fingers crossed):blush:

puh-lease.

I know right is this a joke? They both seemed very happy and at the photocall. Kate was understandably nervous but she did great she's very down to earth and her humour seems to be just like William's no wonder they get along so well!

I agree the dress neck was too deep. :whistling: :) But I think this dress was very nice and Kate looked classy.:flowers: I love the color of this dress.

Before the engagement announcement, and even when I first heard this news, I didn't like the idea of Kate having Diana's ring. On thinking about it, though, I've come around to the idea. What's better--for the ring to be forever a reminder of Diana's tragic marriage/death, or for it to be associated with a new bride who hopefully has a happier marriage? It's almost like a way of redeeming the bad parts of Diana's history and honouring what was good about it. As badly as Diana's marriage turned out, it did produce two sons who clearly love her enough to want to honour her, so in a way I'm glad William decided to pass the ring on.

Something I thought about while watching the interview was that while I wasn't impressed with the amount of time William and Kate were taking to reach the altar, they did display a lot more maturity than past royal couples. Considering what happened with his parents' marriage, William seems like a surprisingly well-adjusted person who is going into marriage with a level head. I think that's probably a credit to Diana, and Charles, and probably the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
People will always find something to criticize on such happy occasions, Catherine is 28 people shouldn't expect her to dress like the queen....

Too deep? Nonsense. You can't even see anything. This is all rather surreal. I had to come back home after wrk and double check to see if it was real. I'm very happy for them and its nice to see Catherine in action. She is far prettier live and has a lovely way of speaking. Though something about her still leaves me wondering. All the same, in the words of my favourite Duchess, "It's wicked!".

about time.she's waited throughout the best years of her life.

I just watched and (mostly) listened the BBC full interview with William and Catherine. First, why did the interviewer address William as just "William" and not "Your Royal Highness?" Second, William made some comment, when talking about the length of their relationship, that he had learned from experience that taking time to adapt to royal life was important. That was a reference to his parents' marriage, right?

Camila's comment, in part, was that the engagement was "wicked." I am not familiar with the use of "wicked" in this context. Can anyone translate? Thanks.

Oh God forbid we think her dress is a tad too low cut! We are not demeening her character or anything! Jesus Christ, grow some skin! You don't have to agree and we're allowed to say we think its a little deep. I'm not saying she's baring her breasts to the world or she's a hooker for it, I'm just saying when she's sitting down, it becomes a little loose around her chest and so it doesn't look as nice as when she's standing. I'm hardly calling for her to be beheaded!

Lighten up. I've had it with this website. You say the slightest thing and people jump on you as if you've called someone the worst thing ever. This is just the latest in a long string of things.

I am logging off and I will probably stay logged off.

I'm not understanding the kerfuffle over Catherine's (gotta get used to calling her that) dress. You can't see anything. If it was cut too deep, you'd see something. There's nothing skanky, scandalous, indecent or improper about what she was wearing.

Oh God forbid we think her dress is a tad too low cut! We are not demeening her character or anything! Jesus Christ, grow some skin! You don't have to agree and we're allowed to say we think its a little deep. I'm not saying she's baring her breasts to the world or she's a hooker for it, I'm just saying when she's sitting down, it becomes a little loose around her chest and so it doesn't look as nice as when she's standing. I'm hardly calling for her to be beheaded!

Lighten up. I've had it with this website. You say the slightest thing and people jump on you as if you've called someone the worst thing ever. This is just the latest in a long string of things.

I am logging off and I will probably stay logged off.

Don't you think you're overreacting? People are disagreeing with your assessment of her dress, not personally insulting you.

And poor Camilla having to look at that ring at events LOL she can't get away from Diana ever either.

Sure, i can already hear a gasp of horror from the Duchess... By the way it's well known that she can't stand William and Harry, living symbols from the previous marriage. :whistling:

Seriously...:bang:

William has made it known that he wants to be called "William" according to reports dealing with his public appearances. Perhaps this is a continuation of that.

"Wicked" in this context means "Great!" Or as the British say, "Brilliant!" It's something that young people say, so to hear the Duchess use it is a bit odd.;)

I heard (between the lines) a lot of statements that seemed to be saying how much better prepared these two are for marriage than William's parents are.

I just watched and (mostly) listened the BBC full interview with William and Catherine. First, why did the interviewer address William as just "William" and not "Your Royal Highness?" S

I am not familiar with the use of "wicked" in this context. Can anyone translate? Thanks.

People will always find something to criticize on such happy occasions, Catherine is 28 people shouldn't expect her to dress like the queen....

That was a good one. & Guess we are off to the races now on what people will find wrong with how she dresses or may toss her hair, where high heels, etc......

The woman is in her 20's & shouldn't have to be in a button down dark suit whenever out in public. She is still young & as long as she wheres her underwear, don't go flashing people, don't drink & drive etc.... that you hear so much with younger people in the limelight nowadays. She ok.

Eventhough, they made the announcement today. She has been getting schooled probably for the past year on do's & don'ts.

I also believe that they have already set a date but, will keep that to themselves for bit longer, in oder to hold onto some infor just for themselves.

I love Prince Harry's official response! So cute! He gets a sister, which he always wanted
I missed his response, I will have to go back & try to find it. I think that response was great & also the truth. I do remember that Both Charles & Diana did want have a daughter. Charles wanted Harry to be the girl though:lol: & diana wanted more children.
This is why I think that Kate & William with end up with more girls than boys. & If Kate & Wills don't name a daughter Diana, bet your bottom dollar that Harry & his wife will

I thought that the dress and whatever she was wearing under it performed very well. There was a lot of hidden structure there. Even with the deep 'v', we didn't see anything we shouldn't have.

You can't see anything. If it was cut too deep, you'd see something. There's nothing skanky, scandalous, indecent or improper about what she was wearing.

I never was particularly fond of Kate but this has changed after todays announcement and interview. The two make indeed a beautiful couple. I loved how they were teasing each other sometimes throughout the interview which gives the impression that they really like each other very well. I wish them all the best for their future and hope to see a beautiful wedding next year. Kate will be indeed a fantastic bride. She looked great today in her blue dress. Blue seems to be the colour! Diana wore also blue on her engagement day. And the ring is the most beautiful royal engagement ring ever. I am happy to see it again on the future princess' finger. I know that there might exist some doubts on that ring but I too felt tears in my eyes when Prince William explained the reason for why he chosed to give Kate that ring. I truly believe that Princess Diana will be with him on the day of his marriage and will give him strength and guidance. What a great tribute to his mother. And you could see on Kate's reaction that she really loves this ring, which is I think very nice. It looked very good on her.

Let's hope for some official engagement photos with the couple and the whole family.

There was nothing wrong with the dress.. IMO but everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. .

Last edited:
This news have brought out my inner 12 year old. I feel like jumping up and down and squeeing. Even though I don't obsessively follow the Windsor family, I do love them and I especially love a royal wedding. So, I'm in heaven.

Kate looked cute in that dress (although if she wants to avoid Diana comparisons, she should have chosen a different colour: Princess Di's engagement suit was in that colour too).

I love the story behind why William gave Kate that ring too.

puh-lease.

other than those brief moments, I thought she looked like Diana, after Charles said "whatever love means". Unenthusiastic and unhappy. I'm just so used to seeing Kate beaming at photographers from a distance, that it was strange to see her so unsmiley.

Wonderful dress, but I regret about the ring... but I am superstitious unfortunately !

I feel like I must have seen another pretty girl in a blue dress because I don't get how the dress I saw Kate Middleton wearing was "too deep."

To each his own ...

Why do people think of bad luck in relation to the ring? That is nonsense. It's one thing to say "knock on wood" in passing but come on. It's a ring. The marriage didn't end because Diana had the wrong ring. Marriages don't end because of a piece of jewelry. They weren't meant to be. He was in love with someone else. She was too young, conflicted. On and on. No where in there is a ring at the root of it.

The ring symbolizes his mother. The woman that gave him life. When I read or see people giving family jewelry down the generations I've never heard anyone say "bad luck!" . But for some reason this has brought out a lot of that. Even calling it tacky and creepy. lol! Whatever. The marriage produced two sons whom I doubt think of their parents marriage as all bad. They exist because of it. I'm glad that William can look back and see some happiness in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom