The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Nobility

Beautiful picture! it's funny a simple thing as first day of school can be so fascinating to so many of us.

I do feel better after looking at 4M+ views of the video of the HRHs posted at Kensington website. At least I am not the only one fascinated by this.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sky News Report: Charlotte on her first day of school-

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Lovely photos.

This is her second first day of school. When is the next, when old enough for Marlborough or another such school I am guessing which is what 13?

Definitely a bit more confident about it then George was. But she always seems a bit more at ease then he does.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Lovely photos.

This is her second first day of school. When is the next, when old enough for Marlborough or another such school I am guessing which is what 13?

Definitely a bit more confident about it then George was. But she always seems a bit more at ease then he does.

She can leave Thomas’ at 11 but it’s likely she’ll leave at 13 and potentially head to Marlborough.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the lovely first day at school shots of the children.
They look smart and happy.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausi View Post
Beautiful picture! it's funny a simple thing as first day of school can be so fascinating to so many of us.

I do feel better after looking at 4M+ views of the video of the HRHs posted at Kensington website. At least I am not the only one fascinated by this.
Between Twitter and Instagram the video has 10M views.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Commoner

Is Marlborough a very good school? Or do people assume she is going to go there because her mother went there? I have zero knowledge of English education so explanations would be welcome ; )
On another level, isn't it odd that the royal children don't go to state schools? I remember that it was a huge row for the Norwegian crown when they decided their children would go to private schools. I must say that I was a bit uneasy with all the articles mentioning the prices of the school and what they offer... It seems so out of touch for common people
Old 09-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

They aren't 'common people' though...they are like many other wealthy ppl. If you have money you can give your children different (sometimes better, not always) opportunities.

LaRae
Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJudith View Post
Is Marlborough a very good school? Or do people assume she is going to go there because her mother went there?
The list of alumni is very impressive. List of Old Marlburians

The Queen’s former private secretary Baron Janvrin went to Marlborough as did Princess Eugenie, Capt Mark Philips and Tommy Lascelles, private secretary to both King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II. The list is endless.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Royal Highness

Marlborough's a good school, one of the famous public schools which has now become co-ed. It has a sporty reputation. I guess people are thinking it's because Kate went there, (and Eugenie) though "going to the same school as your mother" is less ingrained than going somewhere because your Father went there.

Girls public schools generally start at 11 and have another big intake at 13 and boys schools and co ed schools mostly start at 13 so it really depends on which type of school they want to send her to and how she's getting on at Thomas's.

People have been calling out for the royals to go to state schools since Prince Charles started at Cheam and it hasn't happened yet. I suspect there will be voices that call for it though. IIRC there's a quote from a Charles birography somewhere (might be from Penny Junor) that Prince Phillip said they were lucky enough not to have to worry about money and he wanted to send his son to his old school Gordonstoun. Which didn't exactly work out for Charles, but might actually have been a good school for Harry.

At the end of the day full boarding worked out well for William and Harry and gave them some stability and still close friends, if it turns out a day school or flexi boarding suits one of their children better I think that would be arranged as well.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
They aren't 'common people' though...they are like many other wealthy ppl. If you have money you can give your children different (sometimes better, not always) opportunities.
LaRae
Absolutely. If I had been in the position back then to provide same for my daughters, I would certainly have done in a heartbeat. Parents always want the best for their children. Plus these little sweeties are not common and never will be so their education is extremely important. I appreciate the fact mostly that these very stable parents are also providing them with a close and happy childhood. Seems that family life is very important to them, which is brilliant. Happy childhood love can never be replaced.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJudith View Post
Is Marlborough a very good school? Or do people assume she is going to go there because her mother went there? I have zero knowledge of English education so explanations would be welcome ; )
On another level, isn't it odd that the royal children don't go to state schools? I remember that it was a huge row for the Norwegian crown when they decided their children would go to private schools. I must say that I was a bit uneasy with all the articles mentioning the prices of the school and what they offer... It seems so out of touch for common people
I just wanted to address the issue of state schools versus independent schools.

> If you live in central London, there are very few good state schools. As a result of this, an awful lot of professional people (accountants, bankers, lawyers, doctors etc) end up paying vast sums of money to privately educate their children.

> Whilst it may sound very elitist, in practice, it is far more "normal" than one might imagine. For an awful of the parents at the independent schools in central London, school fees can end up being a very substantial portion of their annual incomes.

> So at one level it is a rarefied world that can afford these schools, in practice, it can be quite "middle class".
Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Absolutely. If I had been in the position back then to provide same for my daughters, I would certainly have done in a heartbeat. Parents always want the best for their children. Plus these little sweeties are not common and never will be so their education is extremely important. I appreciate the fact mostly that these very stable parents are also providing them with a close and happy childhood. Seems that family life is very important to them, which is brilliant. Happy childhood love can never be replaced.

I have grandkids, you can bet if I ever win the lottery (and I do buy a ticket now and then) they will be given every financial advantage possible when it comes for education and future financial stability (trust fund etc).

LaRae
Old 09-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

The advantage Marlborough has over Eton is that it is co-ed and so all three children could go there.

There are also many good private high schools in London they could attend so they didn't have to board at all.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The advantage Marlborough has over Eton is that it is co-ed and so all three children oculd go there.

There are also many good private high schools in London they could attend so they didn't have to board at all.
There are practical reasons for them to board. By the time Charlotte and Louis at least are that age, Charles will likely be king. If not, the queen will have slowed down more and the Cambridges will have to step way up. They will be expected to travel a great deal more then they already do. They can not bring their kids when their kids are in school. It leaves two options. They either leave their klds home with a nanny for long stints, or they send them to boarding school. Really not that many upside to being home with the nanny over it.

Both Kate and William went to boarding school and reportedly both enjoyed their time at the schools. And made lasting friendships. I dont see them seeing it in the negative light that some people see 'sending your kids away'.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
There are practical reasons for them to board. By the time Charlotte and Louis at least are that age, Charles will likely be king. If not, the queen will have slowed down more and the Cambridges will have to step way up. They will be expected to travel a great deal more then they already do. They can not bring their kids when their kids are in school. It leaves two options. They either leave their klds home with a nanny for long stints, or they send them to boarding school. Really not that many upside to being home with the nanny over it.

Both Kate and William went to boarding school and reportedly both enjoyed their time at the schools. And made lasting friendships. I dont see them seeing it in the negative light that some people see 'sending your kids away'.
I agree, boarding school will be a good option for the Cambridge children from age 13 (for the boys) / 11 (for Charlotte).
Old 09-07-2019, 01:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The advantage Marlborough has over Eton is that it is co-ed and so all three children could go there.
Fair point. Though if the children are high academic achievers, Eton for the boys and Wycombe Abbey for Charlotte could be a good option as well.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Fair point. Though if the children are high academic achievers, Eton for the boys and Wycombe Abbey for Charlotte could be a good option as well.
Were William and harry high academic achievers? I thought entrance to eton was almost guaranteed for the sons of anyone who is someone in the uk...
Old 09-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the Cambridge children will be able to attend any school they please.
I don't see why they all must attend the same one, though.
George at least should go to Eton.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Majesty

It's an interesting situation. I thing Boarding School is essential for a well-rounded education. There is no guarantee that any of them will enter the military so this is a chance to meet relatively ordinary kids.

The children may come from the aristocracy or be children of diplomats or military personnel serving overseas. Then again, they may be the child of a solo mother working really hard to provide her kids an excellent education and expose them to positive male role models.