Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the last several posts have been very good at summarizing the unique situation that is found in the British line of succession. IMO the public sometimes forget that William has yet to become THE heir-to-the-throne. His position does permit him some flexibility and he does have the support/approval of HM, the DoE, and the PoW to work for the people of the UK. To some people the idea of going to a familiar setting and performing a routine task is comforting and grounds them. I believe that William is one of these people.

As for William's attitude toward his future roles in the British monarchy, I'm always reminded of an answer attributed to CP Victoria of Sweden. She was apparently asked if she looked forward to becoming the Queen of Sweden. She reminded the questioner that in order for this to occur her father would have died and she was not looking forward to that happening. William will walk in two funerals before he ascends to the throne. I can understand why he doesn't overtly show much excitement when speaking of his future royal role.

I don't understand what William is suppose to say to please some people. He isn't the next King. With the longevity of his paternal grandparents and the excellent health of his father, it may be 20 years until he is King.

He used the same kind of language with Katie Couric during in 2012. He is balancing the pilot side with the Royal side. Now three years later there is a family side too. As he said there will be a point when the demands on the Royal side will increase. But it isn't today. Maybe it's tomorrow or three years from now. So why not do something that he is good at thru his own skill and hard work (not an accident of birth) that's helps people who need help at a critical juncture. If he didn't have his family's support, he wouldn't be doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

(I modified my post)

I knew that I was going to be unpopular with my opinion but i don't mind since that was to be expected when Ssmeone posts something disaproving about Cambridges here... but i ca't help feeling unconfortable when i watch what he says on his future (not just this interview but in general)... i always have the feeling of uncertainy and reluctancy... something i dont get with other young royals...

It is endearing to read "he doesn't want hi grandmother to die etc" because of course he doesn't. Nobody does and that is not the point.
When the queen dies, (yes inevitably) he will be the direct heir. That means that he won't have his father to act as a buffer bteween him and the monarch but he will have to do what Charles has been doing for so many years: he will have to step up, to increase royal duties and to leave the flying behind. That also means that despite having a family he will have to accomplish his egagments (like every other royal member does).
IMo he is not remotely ready for the role of the prince of Wales. William must see and accepts this, because he can't avoid it in the long run.

When I look ant other young royal heirs (yes I know they are direct heis, thank you, I am fully aware of this) I see a clear path on front of them, I can picture them as Kings (or Queen in case of Victoria). And I am afraid the only thing I see if I think of William is a blank path. I don't know why, maybe I am crazy and you all are right but that is what I see.. I really hope to be surprised once William become Prince of Wales, bacause I reallt want to be surprised and stand corrected. That is all. So forgive me if I don't have an idyllic vision about him. It is just a different opinion from yours.

Last edited:
William's been preparing for the role of heir his entire life. When the time comes, he'll handle it well.

His biggest challenge right now is not overshadowing his father and he's handling it well.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The path is more clear for other royals because they are the direct heirs. It cannot be stressed enough. Victoria's path is similar to Charles because they are both heirs. Its no good to just lump William in with Victoria, Fred and Haakon.

We have absolutely no idea what changes will come when Charles does become king. Charles will probably make changes as will parliament. After 70 years of the Queen there will have to be changes.

In the meantime though, I think William should do something constructive and rewarding such as flying an air ambulance. Its a commendable form of public service.

They said back in their engagement interview they wanted a big family...so they may surprise us in the end.

LaRae

(I modified my post)

I knew that I was going to be unpopular with my opinion but i don't mind since that was to be expected when Ssmeone posts something disaproving about Cambridges here... but i ca't help feeling unconfortable when i watch what he says on his future (not just this interview but in general)... i always have the feeling of uncertainy and reluctancy... something i dont get with other young royals...

It is endearing to read "he doesn't want hi grandmother to die etc" because of course he doesn't. Nobody does and that is not the point.
When the queen dies, (yes inevitably) he will be the direct heir. That means that he won't have his father to act as a buffer bteween him and the monarch but he will have to do what Charles has been doing for so many years: he will have to step up, to increase royal duties and to leave the flying behind. That also means that despite having a family he will have to accomplish his egagments (like every other royal member does).
IMo he is not remotely ready for the role of the prince of Wales. William must see and accepts this, because he can't avoid it in the long run.

When I look ant other young royal heirs (yes I know they are direct heis, thank you, I am fully aware of this) I see a clear path on front of them, I can picture them as Kings (or Queen in case of Victoria). And I am afraid the only thing I see if I think of William is a blank path. I don't know why, maybe I am crazy and you all are right but that is what I see.. I really hope to be surprised once William become Prince of Wales, bacause I reallt want to be surprised and stand corrected. That is all. So forgive me if I don't have an idyllic vision about him. It is just a different opinion from yours.
I agree about not seeing a clear path for William at the moment. He seems to "flounder" around from one thing to another. Avoiding the inevitable, which is full time royal life. Not that I can blame him, he's had his whole life to watch his grandmother and father work tirelessly for their country. I also do not see a clear role for Catherine, except for a few engagements her and there, until William becomes the heir, I don't think we will see as much of her and we would all like. Although, I will say that the engagements and visits they have been on (Australia in particular), both William and Catherine have done a fabulous job representing the monarchy.

I think they'll go for the third child. I've always been sure about it. Just don't so soon as it was with Charlotte after George. I think in the next 2/3 years...

I for one think it's good that we don't see Catherine that much until she's the PoW. She can focus on her family and that is the number one priority for them to have a successful marriage and in turn will help William to be the best PoW and then King as he can possibly become.

LaRae

I agree about not seeing a clear path for William at the moment. He seems to "flounder" around from one thing to another. Avoiding the inevitable, which is full time royal life. Not that I can blame him, he's had his whole life to watch his grandmother and father work tirelessly for their country. I also do not see a clear role for Catherine, except for a few engagements her and there, until William becomes the heir, I don't think we will see as much of her and we would all like. Although, I will say that the engagements and visits they have been on (Australia in particular), both William and Catherine have done a fabulous job representing the monarchy.

Thank you for the support!:flowers:

I agree with everything you said.

That's like saying Harry is putting off the inevitable by not being a full-time royal now. Unless Harry plans on giving up all his titles his destiny is to be a working royal during his father's reign.

Maybe both William and Harry will live in Africa and Beatrice will be Queen. Must be what people want.

When did the title Prince of Wales come with a role? It is just a title. It doesn't come with defined responsibilities. As Prince of Wales can spent your time enjoying show girls, drinking and going to house parties like Edward VII did or you can start up a charity with your Navy pension like Charles did. It entirely up to the individual.

Harry won't be King. William will be. I think that is a slight difference. And yes,with being "prince of wales" I meant that William must come to the realization he will be the heir...

Last edited:
I would hope Catherine's official royal role is more clarified, because although she has done very well with her list of charities and supporting William, I think she's capable of doing so much more as a senior royal. Just the very thought of Her Majesty sending her to Malta to represent her and the "Firm" tells me that The Queen is thinking the same. We all know that Catherine role will increase once she's Princess of Wales, but she can do more as Duchess of Cambridge as well.

I liked that William was asked in the interview "what is he trying to become?" because I think everyone has been wondering what kind of path is he trying to carve

Last edited:
Difference in roles but not destiny. Harry must be just avoiding the inevitable by playing around in Africa because unless he plans on giving everything up his destiny is to be a full-time royal just like William.

If William needs to be Charles understudy lets make Harry William's understudy. Harry may be needed in a regency role if something ever happens to William

I can quite see how people will interpret William's career choices as floundering or avoiding the inevitable or being reluctant as an her to the throne. William admits himself that he juggles the two sides to his life (in the interview he refers to his royal duties as "the other part/side of my life" or something along those lines) and of-course we are used to royals being royal 24/7, so to speak.
But the way I see it is that William has taken an opportunity which seems very rare for royalty in his position and grabbed a chance at a job doing something he enjoys, is good at and will be of benefit to people "while he waits for the inevitable".

Of-course, a way could have been found for him to be a full-time royal had it been practical, necessary or he had insisted on it, but the country is no worse the wear for him doing this job for as long as he is able to.

I see that Harry is broughted up once in a while... Ah he must be very feared, even though he is now away, not bothering anyone... :D

Anyway, if William doesn't act first, I see no way while Harry should... after all, once George reaches an appropriate age Harry won't be as much of a trouble and finallythe demands will be for the King and heir instead of the what? 5th in line to the throne...

Last edited:
General News and Information for the Duke of Cambridge

Harry won't be King. William will be. I think that is a slight difference. And yes,with being "prince of wales" I meant that William must come to the realization he will be the heir...

William probably came to that realization as a small child. The only people who don't understand their future roles are George and Charlotte.

Last edited:
I would hope Catherine's official royal role is more clarified, because although she has done very well with her list of charities and supporting William, I think she's capable of doing so much more as a senior royal. Just the very thought of Her Majesty sending her to Malta to represent her and the "Firm" tells me that The Queen is thinking the same. We all know that Catherine role will increase once she's Princess of Wales, but she can do more as Duchess of Cambridge as well.

I liked that William was asked in the interview "what is he trying to become?" because I think everyone has been wondering what kind of path is he trying to carve

I think Kate should be given the leeway to define her role just like Camilla is given the time. Camilla likes taking a back-seat role to Charles and being his support. As it stands we are told Camilla doesn't even 'want' to be Queen.

Lets give Kate the same options.

My goodness are William and Kate that popular that people want to see then leading the British Monarchy in 2015?

William probably came to that realization as a small child. The only people who don't understand their future roles in George and Charlotte.

Hope you are right.... The future will tell all what we need to know:flowers:

When did the title Prince of Wales come with a role? It is just a title. It doesn't come with defined responsibilities. As Prince of Wales can spent your time enjoying show girls, drinking and going to house parties like Edward VII did or you can start up a charity with your Navy pension like Charles did. It entirely up to the individual.

I was just thinking this very thing. Being the Prince of Wales doesn't come with a job description or any set list of duties. Each person in that role defines it for themselves. People seem to think he needs to be getting ready for it in some way, but any preparation he may need for it, he's already had (education, experience carrying out royal duties, etc.)

The main thing that will change for William when he becomes heir is that he'll be a full-time royal. I have no doubt he'll be perfectly able to cope with that, and I also have no doubt that people will find plenty to gripe about when he doesn't fulfill the role according to the perceptions people have in their heads (because, again, it's actually an undefined role).

I think that, in holding the various jobs and positions that he has (in the military, or now with the air ambulance), William has shown that he's adaptable, he's responsible and he's public-service oriented. I think that, considering his position in life, it's admirable that he's taken on such jobs, because he's making himself quite useful (I mean, considering that being Prince of Wales has no job description, being the future Prince of Wales is even less well-defined, and he could easily fill his time doing a whole lot of nothing).

William knows he's royal, and he knows he'll one day be king. To me, it's nice to see that he has a good work ethic and wants to make himself useful. The fact that he seems to like having something to do bodes well for his future, I think. I suspect that, whatever role he's in, he'll be trying to make sure that he spends his time doing something worthwhile.

for some reason - I expect #3 to be very soon. and I do think they will end with a large family 4 - (maybe even 5!:ohmy:) . I think growing their family will be part of their 'Anmer Years'. jmo:flowers:

Early one morning at Anmer..

DoC: William, wake up!

DoC: Hmmph...

DoC: William, I've just been reading The Royal Forums, and they say you're going to be King someday!

DoC: WHAT!?? Why didn't someone tell me sooner?

I can quite see how people will interpret William's career choices as floundering or avoiding the inevitable or being reluctant as an her to the throne. William admits himself that he juggles the two sides to his life (in the interview he refers to his royal duties as "the other part/side of my life" or something along those lines) and of-course we are used to royals being royal 24/7, so to speak.
But the way I see it is that William has taken an opportunity which seems very rare for royalty in his position and grabbed a chance at a job doing something he enjoys, is good at and will be of benefit to people "while he waits for the inevitable".

Of-course, a way could have been found for him to be a full-time royal had it been practical, necessary or he had insisted on it, but the country is no worse the wear for him doing this job for as long as he is able to.
Thank you for sharing your viewpoint as a citizen of the UK. I'm glad to see that the PoW has championed several causes through the Prince's Trust. Now his sons are taking on the opportunities to do volunteer work or a paid position that is in service to the nation now that their military service has ended.

I doubt that anyone would truly be in favor of a return to the past where the heir and his heirs were less involved in charity work and royal duties.

Although it most likely will happen, we have to remember too that its not a written in stone thing that William will be created The Prince of Wales. That will be solely in Charles' hands once he ascends the throne. William will however definitely become The Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge.

I think Kate should be given the leeway to define her role just like Camilla is given the time. Camilla likes taking a back-seat role to Charles and being his support. As it stands we are told Camilla doesn't even 'want' to be Queen.

My goodness are William and Kate that popular that people want to see then leading the British Monarchy in 2015?

I agree with you. I also get the vibe that Catherine doesn't want to be in the spotlight, and like Camilla, is perfectly content to be the supportive spouse, that has her own patronages she's passionate about, and devoted to. There's nothing wrong with that, and if the higher-ups are not complaining, then there's no reason to complain (I understand that there are always people that will complain no matter what this couple chooses to do).

DoC: William, wake up!

DoC: Hmmph...

DoC: William, I've just been reading The Royal Forums, and they say you're going to be King someday!

DoC: WHAT!?? Why didn't someone tell me sooner?

And I just got the mental image of this happening, with William's eyes bugging out of his head, like in cartoons :D.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Catherine is being given the time to carve out her role. I'm just saying that it would be great to see her role a bit more clarified and given a bit more personality.

Catherine is being given the time to carve out her role. I'm just saying that it would be great to see her role a bit more clarified and given a bit more personality.

I think she's got a very healthy profile now in the public eye. Whatever she does and wherever she goes and whatever she wears makes instant headlines not only in the UK and the Commonwealth but around the world. I think its best that right now her focus is on her family and her own personal interests and charities. If she was to be given more of a prominent "official royal" role right now, I think it could be construed that she's a more prominent royal figure than her husband who works air ambulance.

I think both Camilla and Kate are very comfortable in their consort roles and prefer it that way. They love their men and are there to support and care for them and not out for their own personal limelight.

Catherine is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing.

Everyone might as well learn to deal with it the way it is, in a year or so they will probably be expecting again and if she is still the DoC, as opposed to being the PoW, she will spend some time away from public duties. Even if she is the PoW she will have a more diminished role while pregnant and after having a baby.

LaRae

I think William is well-aware that he must soon abandon private life in order to fulfill royal obligations. I don't sense any reluctance, he knows what is looming over him.

It's just that, for now, he wants to enjoy some family life.
I do believe they will have one more child; Kate is one of three, and that's what I think they are aiming for, in about two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom