Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The private movements and meetings of the royal family are never publicised so it will never be "proved". But I can bet my last cent on the fact that William has been actively trained by his grandmother and father over the years.

I've read it in several places that William would walk over from Eton on Sundays for tea with his grandmother. We also didn't know until quite recently too that Kate takes George to BP to use the pool and that they get together with Charles and Camilla for Sunday dinners too. Sometimes these little blips come out and we gain insight into the private side of the family but not that often.

The private movements and meetings of the royal family are never publicised so it will never be "proved". But I can bet my last cent on the fact that William has been actively trained by his grandmother and father over the years.

It is all private so will never know unless he speaks himself how much and by whom "training "he has had.
I hope he feels confident and ready for whenever

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It is all private so will never know unless he speaks himself how much and by whom "training "he has had.
I hope he feels confident and ready for whenever

This is such a non-issue, IMO. There is no doubt that William (and Charles) would have been trained by the Queen, at the appropriate time. She is not answerable to any of us as to how much she, or others, have trained her successors. I can be certain of one thing, they will be a lot better trained (and educated) than the Queen herself was for the job.

This is such a non-issue, IMO. There is no doubt that William (and Charles) would have been trained by the Queen, at the appropriate time. She is not answerable to any of us as to how much she, or others, have trained her successors. I can be certain of one thing, they will be a lot better trained (and educated) than the Queen herself was for the job.
I agree. He's 3rd in line and has already done overseas tours, investures, meatings with dignitaries (including the president of the US), about to do a tour in China (wich both Philip and Charles has managed to screw up), he has been sitting in on meatings with his father since he was younger (as seen on the CC), taken a 10 weeks course in agriculture, has a degree in Geography (which actually will help him in his job), probably has had private teaching from his grandmother (or at least his father), has learnt by growing up, has been in hospitals and with homeless people since a kid thanks to his mother.... etc etc. How many countries have 3 generations of well trained/prepared heirs plus a kid. They are set for YEARS to come!! So give him a break!

I've read it in several places that William would walk over from Eton on Sundays for tea with his grandmother. We also didn't know until quite recently too that Kate takes George to BP to use the pool and that they get together with Charles and Camilla for Sunday dinners too. Sometimes these little blips come out and we gain insight into the private side of the family but not that often.

A very sweet picture. :flowers: Catherine is doing well. On another thread it was mentioned that it is reported Catherine wants 'at least three children'. It will be a joyous household full of growing children and the full round of doting in-laws. i think we are in for a treat over the years. It appears Catherine is creating a solid home-life. Nice to see and envision. What modern monarchy does best imo.

I agree. He's 3rd in line and has already done overseas tours, investures, meatings with dignitaries (including the president of the US), about to do a tour in China (wich both Philip and Charles has managed to screw up), he has been sitting in on meatings with his father since he was younger (as seen on the CC), taken a 10 weeks course in agriculture, has a degree in Geography (which actually will help him in his job), probably has had private teaching from his grandmother (or at least his father), has learnt by growing up, has been in hospitals and with homeless people since a kid thanks to his mother.... etc etc. How many countries have 3 generations of well trained/prepared heirs plus a kid. They are set for YEARS to come!! So give him a break!

If the 3rd in line is this well trained he is indeed a prodigy - considering he is not yet two years old.

If the 3rd in line is this well trained he is indeed a prodigy - considering he is not yet two years old.

Well, George does have a "Daddy's Little Co-Pilot" t-shirt so that would make George William's wing man. :whistling:

I liked the comment Lady Nimue made about establishing a healthy, warm home life. As advocates for young children, what better way to do it than by example?

I don't think the issue with William is a training one, I think it's that his heart isn't in being royal let alone King. The upper middle class life of his in laws is what he wants and where he sees his family's future IMO. I've always felt that he won't rock the boat while the Queen and possibly his father are alive but I would not be at all surprised if he takes himself out of the game completely once they are dead.

I don't think the issue with William is a training one, I think it's that his heart isn't in being royal let alone King. The upper middle class life of his in laws is what he wants and where he sees his family's future IMO. I've always felt that he won't rock the boat while the Queen and possibly his father are alive but I would not be at all surprised if he takes himself out of the game completely once they are dead.
I don't think he will. He seems very loyal to his loved ones. He would never do it.. Before, for the sake of Harry not having to take it on and now for Georges sake. I think he rather would be unhappy than put the burden on someone else. That is his own version of duty.

I don't think he will. He seems very loyal to his loved ones. He would never do it.. Before, for the sake of Harry not having to take it on and now for Georges sake. I think he rather would be unhappy than put the burden on someone else. That is his own version of duty.

I certainly hope he wouldn't abdicate but if he did - and if I'm remembering correctly - it would go to George before Harry

I certainly hope he wouldn't abdicate but if he did - and if I'm remembering correctly - it would go to George before Harry
Yes it will, that's why I said Before. That before George, he wouldn't want to do it to Harry, and now he wouldn't do it to George.

Being King is a burden. Both George V and George VI viewed it as such but you just get on with it. William can't be king before his time. He isn't even the heir so I'm not sure how he supposed to act.

When he does become king he will do his duty and I think be a very good king.

Being King is a burden. Both George V and George VI viewed it as such but you just get on with it. William can't be king before his time. He isn't even the heir so I'm not sure how he supposed to act.

Exactly! And he doesn't complain. He just knows the reality of being the regent isn't all gold etc.

That's a good one. He won't upset his gran or Dad - but will overthrow the current nature of the government. :lol::ROFLMAO::lol::ROFLMAO::lol::ROFLMAO:

Yes it will, that's why I said Before. That before George, he wouldn't want to do it to Harry, and now he wouldn't do it to George.

Oops sorry, my mistake - I thought by "do it" that you meant "deny him the kingship" but I see now you meant "make him the king" mea culpa.

Famed constitutional scholar Vernon Bogdanor wrote "In a monarchy, succession to the throne is a matter not of choice but of duty."

When the time comes William will do his duty and be a good king.

I remember an interview Harry gave to Katie Couric and he said sometimes he wishes he wasn't a prince.

So I don't think its odd William doesn't obsess over the day he gets the top job. For him to get the job both his grandmother and father must die.

Last edited:
Famed constitutional scholar Vernon Bogdanor wrote "In a monarchy, succession to the throne is a matter not of choice but of duty."

When the time comes William will do his duty and be a good king.

I remember an interview Harry gave to Katie Couric and he said sometimes he wishes he wasn't a prince.

So I don't think its odd William doesn't obsess over the day he gets the top job. For him to get the job both his grandmother and father must die.
I agree. Also, reluctant king doesn't mean bad king. Just that they know all sides of the job. I highly doubt he will be a new Edward/David, he just doesn't seem like that. The queens father didn't want to be king, he did great. The Queen herself became queen way before she was ready and in the middle of living happy, and noone can say she hasn't done good.

With the way I'm seeing things now, I seriously doubt that William would even consider not taking on the duty he was born to do and passing it off to someone else. I do think that when the time does come and William becomes King, what the world will see is a close royal family. Unfortunately, Elizabeth came to the throne at a young age and that affected her family. Charles had an unfortunate marriage that didn't work out but I think with William being exposed to and fitting into a close "regular" family that sticks together, it will affect how he and Kate want their family to be and that to me, is a win win situation.

With his work in SAR and his future employment in the EAAA, he gains the experience of working to improve the quality of life for those he goes out to help when in need and to me, this helps to keep his finger on the pulse of the people, their lives, their communities and their needs. Perhaps striving to be more of a "regular Joe" is a benefit for the man who would be king. He will be seen more as a king that will serve the people rather than a lofty one on a pedestal far removed from everyday life.

When the future King George V learned he would become king he wrote in his diary it was the worst day of his life.

King George VI cried on his mothers shoulder when he learned his bother would abdicate and the burden would fall to him

With the way I'm seeing things now, I seriously doubt that William would even consider not taking on the duty he was born to do and passing it off to someone else. I do think that when the time does come and William becomes King, what the world will see is a close royal family. Unfortunately, Elizabeth came to the throne at a young age and that affected her family. Charles had an unfortunate marriage that didn't work out but I think with William being exposed to and fitting into a close "regular" family that sticks together, it will affect how he and Kate want their family to be and that to me, is a win win situation.

With his work in SAR and his future employment in the EAAA, he gains the experience of working to improve the quality of life for those he goes out to help when in need and to me, this helps to keep his finger on the pulse of the people, their lives, their communities and their needs. Perhaps striving to be more of a "regular Joe" is a benefit for the man who would be king. He will be seen more as a king that will serve the people rather than a lofty one on a pedestal far removed from everyday life.
I agree with every word.

When the future King George V learned he would become king he wrote in his diary it was the worst day of his life.

King George VI cried on his mothers shoulder when he learned his bother would abdicate and the burden would fall to him
Exactly. It is a burden wrapped in gold paper. And William knows this. So him not showing extreme wish for it shows his intelligence more than it shows him being reluctant.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you suppose to show your eagerness to be King? Go around singing that song from the Lion King?

In order to be King, his grandmother and father has to DIE! Why would anyone wish that on the people they love. George V & VI were second sons who didn't know they were going to be King until they were grown men. William like his father has grown up knowing their destiny. If he didn't want to accept it, he would have walked away before he got married at a huge public wedding, brought his wife into the Royal fold, produced a heir and an almost spare.

Its more of a tabloid construct than anything else. The tabloids paint Charles as someone who can't wait for his mother to die so he can wear the crown and William gets the 'reluctant' handle because he isn't marching up and down the Mall in his coronation robes

How are you suppose to show your eagerness to be King? Go around singing that song from the Lion King?

It may very well be possible that William will be going around with that tune playing over and over again in his head as we all know, little ones latch onto a movie and want to watch it over and over and over again. :D

On the other hand, I've always envisioned Charles' theme song to be "Its Not Easy Being Green" stemming from his passion for saving the environment and his love of frogs. :whistling:

In order to be King, his grandmother and father has to DIE! Why would anyone wish that on the people they love. George V & VI were second sons who didn't know they were going to be King until they were grown men. William like his father has grown up knowing their destiny. If he didn't want to accept it, he would have walked away before he got married at a huge public wedding, brought his wife into the Royal fold, produced a heir and an almost spare.

Hhaha, I can see that ! "I'm gonna be a mighty king..." "Well, I've never seen a king of beasts, with quite so little hair" Hhaha Sorry, I just had too :p

I agree. I think the future of the monarchy depends a great deal on George and his siblings and cousins. If William's children see the value in the monarchy, William assume the throne for their sake. I doubt if he'll serve his whole life. I think he'll abdicate when he turns a certain age (say 70).

However, if George and the other royal children of his generation find that the drawbacks (no privacy, unrelenting criticism, and lack of choice of profession) outweigh the benefits, I think the monarchy will end with William.

I think William has the potential to be a very successful monarch and would be more likely to steer the institution towards a model similar to the other royal houses of Europe.

William knows the upsides and downsides of being a senior member of the royal family and future King. He knows the future will present many challenges, but he have Catherine, George, the new baby and Harry. They will help him in anyway possible and give him all the love he needs. He's no alone people and he will make a good King.

Also, I really don't think William will do anything that would disappoint his mother's spirit. Diana knew Charles was the best prepare future King, but she saw the future of the Monarchy in William's eyes. She, along with Charles, tried to prepare him for his future role. William knows what lies ahead, and I think he's willing to face it now more than ever.

Hhaha, I can see that ! "I'm gonna be a mighty king..." "Well, I've never seen a king of beasts, with quite so little hair" Hhaha Sorry, I just had too :p

Well done ? We should mail some Lion King DVDs to KP to get Cheeks watching it 20 times in a row ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom