Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should imagine it will be a similar situation to when William and Catherine lived in Anglesey, shifts and work patterns will be based upon William's need to carry out royal duties. Remember that William did a good job of juggling these two elements of his life without any problems and I think East Anglia provided a better location to travel around the country as needed.
I think we will see Catherine carrying out more engagements in the Autumn and for a couple of years we may indeed see more of her than William.

Yeah, the balance have to be there, because William has admitted that he ran into problems when he was in the SAR and the problems grew between his job and royal duties. I don't think this new job will be a longtime stint, perhaps three years, but it will leave Catherine doing more official duties.

I should imagine it will be a similar situation to when William and Catherine lived in Anglesey, shifts and work patterns will be based upon William's need to carry out royal duties. Remember that William did a good job of juggling these two elements of his life without any problems and I think East Anglia provided a better location to travel around the country as needed.
I think we will see Catherine carrying out more engagements in the Autumn and for a couple of years we may indeed see more of her than William.

You are right, the model will not be too dissimilar to when they were in Wales, except Anmer is much closer to London, the South East and the Midlands than Anglesey was. Engagements will probably be bunched around a few busy days.

It's definitely much closer to London a hour train ride versus 4 to 5 hrs from Angelesy. Plus with modern technology, they can easily keep in touch with their KP staff

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

While seeing more of Kate would be good for the media interest and for the fact that she sells, it would be more logical to see more of William instead: he is the one that will probably become king, not Kate.

Let's see how much coverage his tour to China and Japan probably not as much if Kate was going.

Let's see how much coverage his tour to China and Japan probably not as much if Kate was going.

I think this is a very important tour for William and so I suspect it will get a good deal of media attention. It is a shame that Catherine is not going, but then it's nice when they do things individually from time to time.

The tour will get a good deal of media attention - more than any other country - because of diplomatic/political reasons (thanks to Charles & Philip annoying the Chinese in the past). With Kate, it would have been about fashion, but without her its about not slipping up and appeasement.

While seeing more of Kate would be good for the media interest and for the fact that she sells, it would be more logical to see more of William instead: he is the one that will probably become king, not Kate.

William will be seen if he's got a good balance between jobs. Seeing Catherine a bit more isn't about the media interest, it's about seeing Catherine carrying out her official duties, as she is a senior member of the royal family.

The Duchess of Cambridge isn't a senior member of the Royal Family. She will be once Prince Charles is king, because then she'll be married to the heir to the throne.

This from the official website:

"Since her marriage, Her Royal Highness has undertaken a number of engagements with her husband, on her own and with senior members of the Royal Family such as The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall."

The Duchess of Cambridge isn't a senior member of the Royal Family. She will be once Prince Charles is king, because then she'll be married to the heir to the throne.

This from the official website:

"Since her marriage, Her Royal Highness has undertaken a number of engagements with her husband, on her own and with senior members of the Royal Family such as The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall."

Catherine is a senior member of the royal family. She and William aren't full-time senior royals, but she is a senior royal. She is married to a senior member of the royal family and that makes her a senior royal.

I'm quite sure we had this discussion a few weeks ago over who is and who isn't a senior royal and we ended up going in circles. Whether senior, junior or somewhere in between, we may or we may not see more or less of Catherine whilst William is working with the Air Ambulance, so I think we will just have to wait and see.

As I understand it, Catherine has more senior precedence when she's with William and lower precedence when he's not there. It seems to me that many people have the same expectations of Catherine that they would have of a Princess of Wales, which is unfair. We aren't going to see a lot of her, I don't think, until her children are older. Of course, if Her Majesty dies suddenly, everything will move forward a generation.

Never going to happen. Kate is not a worker and does as little as she can. If William does 20 engagements a year and Kate does more than him that will probably only be around 30 engagements.

Never going to happen. Kate is not a worker and does as little as she can. If William does 20 engagements a year and Kate does more than him that will probably only be around 30 engagements.

I meant in the context that Catherine will carry out some more engagements in the Autumn, (muriel had previously suggested we wouldn't see her until early 2016), following her time off with the new baby, not that she will start to do more duties in the Autumn.

That is your opinion, incredibly unfair, and not one you have any proof to back up.

I think William will keep around the same number of engagements that he did last year. Kate's number of engagements will be less, as already pointed out, because she will be on maternity leave. After early March, I expect for her to go quiet and her engagements to be sparse. She has enough to deal with as she will have two children under 2 to look after, great that she has a nanny, and her husband will be starting a new job.

I'd love to hear more about William's conservation efforts. I know he is extremely busy right now, but I love hearing about his passion for the environment.

They both need to start doing a lot more than they are, or under the next monarch they will still be fairly inexperienced.

They both need to start doing a lot more than they are, or under the next monarch they will still be fairly inexperienced.

Take a look at the new monarch in Europe - all with actual heirs that are young children. They have no experience at all. No one considers that an issue.

William is not the heir and is gaining experience all the time. This is all planned and agreed. He will probably work from Sandringham forat least 3 yrs, barring a major incident.

Take a look at the new monarch in Europe - all with actual heirs that are young children. They have no experience at all. No one considers that an issue.

William is not the heir and is gaining experience all the time. This is all planned and agreed. He will probably work from Sandringham forat least 3 yrs, barring a major incident.
My exact thought.

My exact thought.

I don't think you can compare a 12 year old and a 32 year old
one might be an heir and the other an heir to the heir but I still hope William is getting some behind the scene training.
I think they are counting on the Queen living as long as her mother and Charles doing the same so don't see the need to have William ready to rule. And I believe they will live long life's because they have the best of medical care etc.
But things can happened so I'm hoping he's getting prepared for it in some way.

He has handled overseas tours on his own; he is patron or president of a number of charities; he knows how to speak in public and he also has had private conversations with ministers, including Heads of State.

He is reliable and responsible and has had a career in the military.

The gap in his knowledge (we must assume) is access to government papers/matters of state and he wont get near those until he is the heir.

Of course he has experience and knowledge. The BRF know what they are doing - and HMQ isd leading the way with William's "training"

He has handled overseas tours on his own; he is patron or president of a number of charities; he knows how to speak in public and he also has had private conversations with ministers, including Heads of State.

He is reliable and responsible and has had a career in the military.

The gap in his knowledge (we must assume) is access to government papers/matters of state and he wont get near those until he is the heir.

Of course he has experience and knowledge. The BRF know what they are doing - and HMQ isd leading the way with William's "training"

Your right of course he has done all these things but I'm not too sure that HMQ is doing training with him.

The Queen had him over to Windsor Castle every Sunday while he was at Eton to actually 'train' him. Do you really think that she stopped having those discussion with him when he left school?

He is a Counsellor of State, when called upon, so would also need to know how to run a Privy Council Meeting, talk to the ministers and other privy counsellors, meet and formalise the incoming and outgoing High Commissioners and Ambassadors and even sign legislation.

We know he has carried out investitures.

I have no reason to assume that he isn't seeing at least some of the official communications between the monarch and the government, as Charles has been doing for decades - particularly if they relate to his interests or upcoming events such as his upcoming visit to China.

He may not want the job - and his body language when on official duties still says he doesn't want to do the things he has to do - but he is being trained by his grandmother.

She would be failing massively in her most important duty - training her heirs - if she wasn't training both William and Charles. They need to know how to sign their names to legislation, pin medals and decorations on people, make inane small talk to 1000s of people, and be diplomatic to visiting officials.

I don't think it's been proved true the Queen had him over every Sunday

I think William will be prepared enough for his future role, even if it came today. How prepared was the Queen when she suddenly came to the throne? ow prepared are other types of head of state when they get the "top job"? Even if he isn't, there would be plenty of courtiers, advisers, ministers etc to help him, guide whim through what he needs to do in the first days, weeks, months etc.
One of the good thing about having a monarchy is the fact that the heirs have years of observation, hands on experience in preparation and training.

I think William will be prepared enough for his future role, even if it came today. How prepared was the Queen when she suddenly came to the throne? ow prepared are other types of head of state when they get the "top job"? Even if he isn't, there would be plenty of courtiers, advisers, ministers etc to help him, guide whim through what he needs to do in the first days, weeks, months etc.
One of the good thing about having a monarchy is the fact that the heirs have years of observation, hands on experience in preparation and training.
I agree. Plus William will have "training" that is predecessors hadn't. He will have seen things, helped people, flown and been concentrated in hard situations. He will also have a much closer relationship to the heir after him because of their family planning. All this is things that he can take use of in his future role.

Believe it or not, William is being trained in his senior royal role. His wife, Catherine is also going through her training. They get to go through an apprenticeship, something The Queen didn't have early on.

I don't think it's been proved true the Queen had him over every Sunday

The private movements and meetings of the royal family are never publicised so it will never be "proved". But I can bet my last cent on the fact that William has been actively trained by his grandmother and father over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom