Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think anyone in the BRF is worried that W&K will overshadow Charles and Camilla.

If they felt this way then Charles & Camilla would have attended the higher profile World War I commemorative services in Belgium.

IMO, William wants to continue flying and the Queen & Charles reluctantly agreed to allow William to take the job.

Of course, if he is in a fatal accident then it will be Charles & Camilla's fault because they were jealous of W&K as they did not want the Cambridges to become full time royal.

All the blame will be heaped upon Charles & Camilla. No one will blame the stubborn William who refused to listen.

Wonder if the BRF thought about how it would affect them if a passenger dies while William is flying the helicopter?

If William survives the crash would they want a king who was responsible for the death of another person?

If William dies will they want Charles or will they blame him for his son's death?

I am thinking, if the helicopter crashes while William is flying it and the patient is killed because of the crash then the blame will fall on Charles.

If William dies or injured, it will be Saint William who was flying a medievac helicopter because his mother died because a medievac helicopter was not used to airlift her to a hospital.

It will be Saint William who is forced to take the job because his selfish father was jealous that his son who resembles the beloved Princess Diana was overshadowing him.

I can see the headlines. It will doom for Charles because of Diana's stubborn son.

Too much wishful thinking, an intense need to criticize the Duke of Cambridge and displays of an irrational dislike towards him. It's all I can see in your posts.

I'm just sorry to see a picture of my dear Duchess of Cornwall with comments like these.

i think speculating on the death of William is appalling.

lets just get this thread back on track.

He starts training in September and Ive read ( but cant find it) that he does have to undertake some paramedic training. Its a lot to learn if he has to take 14 exams as well as a test flight.

I wonder if this role was being considered v early on. He is going to see some awful sights but he knows that he can deal with it as he managed to view operations at The Royal Marsden.

Cris M,
Unfortunately you seem to be reading my post as an attack against William rather than support for Charles and Camilla. Please read the entire thread.

Medievac helicopters crash. There has been several years where the crashes were major news stories because of several crashes in a brief period of time. Another time one medievac crashed and another was sent to retrieve the injured from the first crash and it too crashed.

I am just amazed that I was the only one that thought about what could happen.

Not all royals - just William and Kate - in my experience.

No, it's all royals. This same exact same thing has been said on Sophia's board, Charlene's, Mary's, Letizia's, The York sisters, Camilla's. People complain all the time about how they can't say anything negative, or criticize their least favorite royal. There are quite a few boards that get heated and turn into attacks between the posters. This is not just a William and Kate thing.

Sorry, but I think speculating about William's death and what it would do to Charles and Camilla's reputation is disgusting.

Last edited:
i think speculating on the death of William is appalling.

lets just get this thread back on track.

He starts training in September and Ive read ( but cant find it) that he does have to undertake some paramedic training. Its a lot to learn if he has to take 14 exams as well as a test flight.

I wonder if this role was being considered v early on. He is going to see some awful sights but he knows that he can deal with it as he managed to view operations at The Royal Marsden.

I'm sure that he'll probably undergo some emergency medical training but I seriously doubt that it'll qualify him as a paramedic. Where I am here in the US, to certify as a paramedic, it is at the least a two year course. He may train as a first responder or even an EMT. We won't know though unless his specific training is made public.

As for the possible gruesome sights. No matter how much training you've had or how many you have faced in your career, that is something that one never ever gets used to. Here where I am, its required of all personnel to attend debriefings and most organizations that serve in this capacity also offer psychological assistance too.

Sorry, but I think speculating about William's death and what it would do to Charles and Camilla's reputation is disgusting.

If we can discuss what will happen to William if the Queen/Charles dies while he is working as a medievac pilot isn't that speculating about the Queen's, Philip's or Charles' death. It is only logical to think about the pilot doing the flying.

I am thinking, if the helicopter crashes while William is flying it and the patient is killed because of the crash then the blame will fall on Charles.

If William dies or injured, it will be Saint William who was flying a medievac helicopter because his mother died because a medievac helicopter was not used to airlift her to a hospital.

It will be Saint William who is forced to take the job because his selfish father was jealous that his son who resembles the beloved Princess Diana was overshadowing him.

I can see the headlines. It will doom for Charles because of Diana's stubborn son.
Not seeing the logic in this but if this how you feel...

If the helicopter crashes then William sadly follows in the steps of his namesake. George and any possible sibling will move up in the line of succession. A funeral will be held and plans will be made for a possible regency should something happen to the little prince's great-grandmother and grandfather. There will be sadness but life will go on.

No, it's all royals. This same exact same thing has been said on Sophia's board, Charlene's, Mary's, Letizia's, The York sisters, Camilla's. People complain all the time about how they can't say anything negative, or criticize their least favorite royal. There are quite a few boards that get heated and turn into attacks between the posters. This is not just a William and Kate thing.

I wholeheartedly agree. There is criticism of many royals here just as there is praise.

Ok I am getting annoyed with people on here talking like they personally know the members of the BRF. No one knows what Charles or the Queen thinks; so why continuously use statements like they support William and his choices. You don't know one way or another what goes on behind closed doors. Let's he some perspective and recognize that none of us know what these people think or feel.
I don't know which poster said it, but I agree that William could get more real life experience and prepare for his future role by taking a different job in a different sector. I admit I don't know how Charles' duchy works or makes money, but I fear it will go bankrupt under William, because he spent all his time learning art history, geography, and how to be a pilot and not enough time on how to manage an estate.

Isn't the duchy run by more than just Charles? I admit I don't know much about it, but I remember reading that he appointed a council that helps him. I think that as long as William appoints people that know what they're doing, the duchy will be fine. Plus, we have no idea what steps he is taking behind the scenes to prepare for taking over the duchy.

ETA: I just found an article that stated William has started to attend meetings for the Duchy. So he is in fact preparing for this role.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ares-to-pass-the-duchy-to-Prince-William.html

Last edited:
Let us keep in mind that a royal can have an accident (Diana, Princess of Wales), can crash with a plane (the father of King Carl XVI Gustaf), fall from a mountain (the grandfather of King Albert II of the Belgians) or tumble in an avalanche (Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau). None of them had a "dangerous job" and all died by accident...

The people who don't like William just don't like him. Its not about being an air ambulance pilot, its about looking to find fault for the sake of it.

Its always the same people who criticised his military career, criticise his wife, criticise his living arrangements etc.

Does anyone noticed that the people who want William to be a "full-time" royal are also the people who slate him and Kate when they do public engagements.

Many of them are from the Harry fan club who have never come to grips with the fact their favourite royal won't be king.

Not seeing the logic in this but if this how you feel...

It was in reply to posts that William & Kate are part time so not to overshadow Charles & Camilla which led me to... and others took the posts out of context.

If we can discuss what will happen to William if the Queen/Charles dies while he is working as a medievac pilot isn't that speculating about the Queen's, Philip's or Charles' death. It is only logical to think about the pilot doing the flying.

My problem isn't with acknowledging the dangers of his job. My problems is how it's being said. I find the stuff about 'St. William' and how his death will hurt Charles and Camilla's reputation to be gross. YMMV.

William & Kate being part time because Charles is jealous.

The reason for William's decision to join the medievac is so not to overshadow Charles and Camilla.

William and Kate need to keep a low profile so Charles can build up his popularity.

And the next attack on C&C will be....

William and Kate are the most popular royal couple by a mile

I don't think its a stretch to believe the Firm thinks having W&K as the standard bearers of the BRF is the best thing in the short term.

The BRF is the only European royal family that the 2nd in line to the throne is more popular than the heir

Is it really inconceivable the Firm wants the focus on Charles and Camilla as they will be the next king and queen?

The focus is already on Charles & Camilla and they perform a great deal of engagements and now attend the State Opening of Parliament. There's room for Charles & Camilla and the Cambridge's on the royal stage. Very evident during the WWI events, Diamond Jubliee, royal tours, etc.

If the firm wanted to focus on Charles and Camilla rather than share the 'glory',

Charles & Camilla would have been in Belgium rather than W&K.

Charles & Camilla would have attended more Commonwealth games.

Charles & Camilla would have placed the poppies at the Tower.

It wouldn't have mattered what royal role W&K did to commemorate WWI. Had they been in Scotland the Daily Mail would have still made them their focus and front page.

W&K are the head liners as far as the media and press are concerned. Others hardly rate a mention.

William is the one who is hesitant about increasing his royal duties.

It is his decision not to become a full time royal and it has nothing to do with lack of money or Charles & Camilla or his presumed popularity over his father.

His own word to Katie Couric in May 2012.
“But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”

William and Kate are the most popular royal couple by a mile

I don't think its a stretch to believe the Firm thinks having W&K as the standard bearers of the BRF is the best thing in the short term.

The BRF is the only European royal family that the 2nd in line to the throne is more popular than the heir

Is it really inconceivable the Firm wants the focus on Charles and Camilla as they will be the next king and queen?

In a recent poll, William was the most popular royal but this was published at the same time that another poll said more people preferred Charles to be king than William.

It is a mistake to think that popularity means people want William to be king now. I dontbelieve they do.

I dont think Charles is jealous. He loves both his boys. More speculation mainly by posters who dont like him. The line of succession will not change. William wants to contribute directly to society. Hehas found a way to do that. Good for him.

I do think William really wants to fly an air ambulance and perform public service but I agree with Jane Barr that this is a decision the Firm fully backs because it removes the spotlight from W&K and hopefully onto C&C

I realise this is a blog but Jane's opinion is she thinks the Firm doesn't want W&K having all the spotlight and sucking all the oxygen out of the BRF so its a win win for everyone. William can pursue a job he loves and refocuses the attention back on Charles and Camilla

From Berkshire to Buckingham

In a recent poll, William was the most popular royal but this was published at the same time that said more people preferred Charles to be king than William.

It is a mistake to think that popularity means people want William to be king now. I dontbelieve they do.

I dont think Charles is jealous. He loves both his boys. More speculation mainly by posters who dont like him. The line of succession will not change. William wants to contribute directly to society. Hehas found a way to do that. Good for him.

So you think the Firm has no issues or reservations that the heir is overshadowed by his son?

I think when it comes to those working for the "firm", there isn't any competition of who gets more glory, does the more worthier engagements or even who is spotlighted the most. The main concern I think for the royals representing the Crown and the Queen (along with the Queen herself) is to present a united front and work as a team to serve the people.

Its the media that puts slants on their activities and inserts certain "innuendos" that serve to put jealousies, slights, and sometimes even has Camilla hitting the booze while the Queen lies dying.

So you think the Firm has no issues or reservations that the heir is overshadowed by his son?

No I don't. the only place I see this written about is in US press and bloggers. Not written about here, not even by the DM. I think the entire BRF know that if there is a choice of a picture to be published and its Catherine vs Charles, then it will be Catherine; she even would be published ahead of the Queen. But that doesnt change anything. They continue to do their work as they always have.

EDIT. Just read Osipi's post above this one. The last comment comes from a US magazine. Nothing like that iswritten in the UK. Its made up nonsense

Last edited:
No I don't. the only place I see this written about is in US press and bloggers. Not written about here, not even by the DM. I think the entire BRF know that if there is a choice of a picture to be published and its Catherine vs Charles, then it will be Catherine; she even would be published ahead of the Queen. But that doesnt change anything. They continue to do their work as they always have.

EDIT. Just read Osipi's post above this one. The last comment comes from a US magazine. Nothing like that iswritten in the UK. Its made up nonsense

A picture of Duchess of Cambridge is much better than no picture at all. The royal families are no novices when it comes to PR.

I think when it comes to those working for the "firm", there isn't any competition of who gets more glory, does the more worthier engagements or even who is spotlighted the most. The main concern I think for the royals representing the Crown and the Queen (along with the Queen herself) is to present a united front and work as a team to serve the people.

Its the media that puts slants on their activities and inserts certain "innuendos" that serve to put jealousies, slights, and sometimes even has Camilla hitting the booze while the Queen lies dying.

Right, the royals have never competed with one another. They simply focus on doing the work. I think it's hard for some people to fully understand that.

I remember when Catherine married William, there were people saying The Queen wouldn't want to be overshadowed by the young and beautiful Catherine during her Diamond Jubliee celebrations. Who was the first person The Queen put at her side during the start of her Jubilee tour of the country? Catherine. No one is worried or jealous of the Cambridge's popularity and coverage they get. The royals will tell you that themselves.

Will could die in a helicopter crash on his way to a royal function - royals ride them all the time. Or in his bed one night at the age of 95.

All this nonsens about skipping one place in the line of succession will never happen. Let us face it, Prince William is a man in his thirties, already balding and not the most charismatic type of guy. In some 15-16 years a young, dashing and handsome Prince George will attract all attention as the world's most eligible bachelor and when he finally meets a partner, William and Catherine will undoubtedly fall behind in media attention and popularity. Following the same logic William should then skip the throne for the more popular George and his glamorous wife?

This will never happen.

Will could die in a helicopter crash on his way to a royal function - royals ride them all the time. Or in his bed one night at the age of 95.

As I said: Williams mother had no dangerous job and she died in a car crash. Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau had no dangerous job and he died in an avalanche. King Albert I of the Belgians had no dangerous job and he died because of a fall from a mountain. Crown Prince Gustaf of Sweden (the father of the present King) had no dangerous job and he died in a plane crash. Princess Grace of Monaco had no dangerous job and she died in a car crash.

:sad:

William is the one who is hesitant about increasing his royal duties.

It is his decision not to become a full time royal and it has nothing to do with lack of money or Charles & Camilla or his presumed popularity over his father.

His own word to Katie Couric in May 2012.
“But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”

I've always agreed that Will is a reluctant royal; seems clear to me that he has no intention of living life as his grandmother had.

Cepe made a good point that the Queen lives in an Edwardian court and nobody born in 1982 is going to live that way.

So he will reinvent the role, or at least he will try to. Whether he does so successfully or not is anyone's guess.

My guess, and this is a guess, if Will had his way he'd be a private person most days of the week and then don a crown and scepter and perform some kingly duties. A part-timer for life, if you will. Can this be accomplished?

To have people accepted as royalty requires a certain suspension of disbelief. Nobody really believes in Divine Right anymore, but you sort of still have to employ that suspension of disbelief and accept it a little bit. That comment about never lifting the veil of mystery was a brilliant comment, at least at the time it was made. If Will is seen as too "normal" then what of this veil of mystery, this "suspension of disbelief?" I don't know if it will work - maybe it will - and neither does anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom