Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be smart to put the main senior royals to work and financially back them and not so much the minor royals.

How does one focus on being king when they're only second in line to the throne??

You've presented a good question here Rudolph. First lets examine what a King does. The King is the apolitical head of state for the UK and the Commonwealth nations and represents and serves the people.

A future King that works among the people in a position to serve, protect and, in some cases, even save lives will endear him more in his role as King. Add this to keeping active in the causes he is passionate about such as conservation mixed in with being part and parcel of the traditional pomp and pageantry of the British Monarchy and I think you find a good recipe for a King of the people.

When I think about it, putting William in a one sided full time doing royal duties work mode would make him seem more like a puppet than forging his own way as his father did. As a king, he will be judged on how he can relate to his people and understand them. When you look at the three fold ways he will be doing this for the next two years at least, I would think its a pretty good recipe for a King-in-the-making. :)

1) Using his ability as a pilot and devolping diplomacy skills - Go serve one year in Canada, Australia or any other country within Comonwealth.
2) Learn another language and develop diplomacy skills - Go work one year at Nato, UN, so on.
3) Go work on military intelligence
4) Develop a business like his father did, employ youngsters from his many charities and give the profits to charity
5) Open a school for civil rescue pilots for needing youngsters
Whatever... there are millions of options for wealthy healthy adults to change the life of many in need and beeing passionate about it as well.

Those are all interesting options, but I'm not sure how they are any better suited than what William chose. His job at Air Ambulance also helps people/changes lives. Not to mention this charity will be getting tons of publicity, which will no doubt mean more money for them.

I agree that William and Catherine doing an additional 600 appearances does not lessen the burden of the Queen, but in fact increase the cost of the monarchy.
Maybe William having an actual job is a message to other young royals to all get a job. It would be hard for Andrew to demand increased royal roles for his daughters in the face of William limiting his role.
also, maybe William realized during his agricultural course that he did not like it.
There is a lot we don't know and some we will never know.
But the powers that be have agreed with William's return to flying. So all the complaints and criticisms will have no impact.

It would be smart to put the main senior royals to work and financially back them and not so much the minor royals.

Who defines who a "main senior royal" is? If the Queen makes that decision, I think we all know that she does not see W&K as senior royals.

Those are all interesting options, but I'm not sure how they are any better suited than what William chose. His job at Air Ambulance also helps people/changes lives. Not to mention this charity will be getting tons of publicity, which will no doubt mean more money for them.

I think the OP's argument that William should have further international experience is valid though.

King Felipe VI of Spain, for example, while he was still Prince of Asturias, went to High School in Canada and, after getting a bachelor's degree in law from the Autonomous University of Madrid, actually moved on to get a master's degree in Foreign Service from Georgetown University in the US. William, presumably, is not exactly an "intellectual" such as Felipe, but I like the suggestion of posting him overseas, just like CP Victoria of Sweden for example was once an intern at the Swedish embassy in Washington. Why not a job at NATO or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office ?

I have a motto, anything continental royals do the British should do the opposite.

How exactly does working with NATO or in an embassy help a future British king?

Who defines who a "main senior royal" is? If the Queen makes that decision, I think we all know that she does not see W&K as senior royals.

The Queen do recognize William & Catherine as senior royals. They're just not full-time senior royals but make no mistake about their seniority within the Monarchy.

Is the Queen really playing a role in the international relations of the UK, Canada, Australia, NZ or any other realm? Look at the trouble Charles got in over the remark about Putin.

The Head of Commonwealth role is a lot of having personal relationships with the member countries and their leaders. That something William is gaining as visits the commonwealth countries.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think there's a difference between being a senior member of the British Royal Family and a senior working member of the "Firm". Its kind of like Sam Branson is a heir to Richard Branson's Virgin fortune but he's no where being a senior executive at Virgin to my knowledge and I very definitely would never imagine Richard Branson to clear out his right hand man's office in order to put his son in a top dog's job just because he's the heir. He'd probably start Sam out at the very bottom and let him work his way up and get to know the business that he's in.

(This is all hypothetical as I really have no clue what Sam Branson does for a living)

The Queen has been a full-time, no question, Royal for over sixty years now. How she must wish that she could have had time to live a normal family life when she was William's age. Once W&C get on the full-time merry-go-round, they'll be on it for sixty years or more, also. What possible difference can it make now?

Count me as one who thinks there is a certain amount of consideration being given to the fact that C&C are invisible on the days when W&C are doing public duties. It benefits no one-except the DM and TRF!-for them to go full time right away. Not their young-and eventually growing-family, not their marriage, not C&C. Of course we all want to see them out and about, but if it doesn't suit HM, the DOE, and the POW and his wife, then it won't happen.

I think there's a difference between being a senior member of the British Royal Family and a senior working member of the "Firm". Its kind of like Sam Branson is a heir to Richard Branson's Virgin fortune but he's no where being a senior executive at Virgin to my knowledge and I very definitely would never imagine Richard Branson to clear out his right hand man's office in order to put his son in a top dog's job just because he's the heir. He'd probably start Sam out at the very bottom and let him work his way up and get to know the business that he's in.

(This is all hypothetical as I really have no clue what Sam Branson does for a living)

I think some people get confused on who are senior royals. William & Catherine are senior royals but just don't work full-time as senior royals. Which means as senior royals, they work for the "Firm" part-time and work another job on the side. Well, William has another job on the side.

The Queen has been a full-time, no question, Royal for over sixty years now. How she must wish that she could have had time to live a normal family life when she was William's age. Once W&C get on the full-time merry-go-round, they'll be on it for sixty years or more, also. What possible difference can it make now?

Count me as one who thinks there is a certain amount of consideration being given to the fact that C&C are invisible on the days when W&C are doing public duties. It benefits no one-except the DM and TRF!-for them to go full time right away. Not their young-and eventually growing-family, not their marriage, not C&C. Of course we all want to see them out and about, but if it doesn't suit HM, the DOE, and the POW and his wife, then it won't happen.

It suits The Queen just fine for William & Catherine to take up full-time royal duties but it's William & Catherine's choice to focus on other things full-time before they switch over to full-time royal duties. The "Firm" isn't telling the Cambridge's they don't need their help full-time but pretty much let them know when they're ready.

Last edited:
I think the constituency most disappointed with this news is the press. Their reality is William and Kate sell more papers, draw more traffic to their web sites and sell more magazines. Photographs of Kate in a sea of red poppies, walking into a hospice, or christening a ship generates more income for them than HM, Charles, Camilla or the rest of the BRF doing the entire court circular. The reality is the press is going to write their stories about W&K every day - if there isn't a new appearance then that will be the story - where are they?

I agree with those who have eloquently stated that William being a full time royal working on his charities will do nothing to alleviate HM's work load. The items that may be removed or delegated have already begun to be... investitures and overseas travel. These are both items that are physically taxing on HM.

If we look back to when HM's early married years: she was a navy wife, with 2 small children, an ill (at least weak) father who was King and heir presumptive to the throne and she wasn't a full time royal. There is only so much that can be delegated... she is going to continue to read her boxes, have audiences with PM and other heads of state and she is going to be seen.... because in her own words 'she has to be seen to be believed'... and she is the monarch.

Sharing the burden on HM is up to Charles and I think he is working very closely to truly try and a - alleviate her workload and b - learn from her to allow as smooth a transition as possible when the time comes.

William will still be effective in his charities and they will still do an overseas tours and if he is needed for something I am sure he can handle it. I think most of all William wants to be useful and have a purpose - something his father grappled with himself. William liked 'going to work'. These are good qualities to have.

Prior to her maternity leave, Kate seemed to prefer to cluster her appearances together and would do 3 or 4 in 1 week and then go quiet for 3 weeks; perhaps because of the commute from Anglesey. I think the perception would be better if she was visible 1 day/ week. Note I said visible, I do believe there is more behind the scenes meetings and prep work than they ever get credit for.

I think these next 2 years will be about having another baby and getting settled as a family. I expect they will be in London regularly.... but they may have more privacy now as the press may not know specifically when they are.
I wish them the best.

......and it wont surprise me one bit if Harry isn't far behind in returning to some sort of active role or duty.

I myself as a subject, citizen, taxpayer and British Royalist am happy to leave the path plotted for William & Catherine's LONG route to the throne to those most intimately involved, and with the most pertinent experience in the matter...In addition I think the creation of a close, stable family unit for them and their children is of paramount importance given the pressure they will face their whole lives long.

The opinion of the Daily Mail and its readership are wholly unimportant...

From what I understand, William will work for four days and will be off duty for three and available for royal commitments. I think it's expected for Catherine to be a little more visible though.

I greatly admire the continental royals, they seem more intellectual and curious about the world than the BRF. I don't think it would hurt for them to take some ideas from the continental royals, it took them long enough to jump on the marrying a commoner idea.
I'm really upset that this proves the media speculation right, I hate when those basted are right. I feel this just solidifies the theory I have that William is doing everything he can to not live in the media spotlight. Since the late 90s he has been operating in a way where he won't be continuously photographed. Choosing his gap year travels, going to St Andrews, then going into military training and moving to Anglesey. ...
I suspect that this will be the time where the media turns on WnK.

I have a motto, anything continental royals do the British should do the opposite.

How exactly does working with NATO or in an embassy help a future British king?

Yeah, I don't understand how those things will help him either. Most of the what he needs to know will come from his grandmother and father.

Is the Queen really playing a role in the international relations of the UK, Canada, Australia, NZ or any other realm? Look at the trouble Charles got in over the remark about Putin.

The Head of Commonwealth role is a lot of having personal relationships with the member countries and their leaders. That something William is gaining as visits the commonwealth countries.

Exactly. His visits to the commonwealth are a lot more beneficial than a posting at an overseas office.

Last edited:
I don't think he'll continue longer than his two year contract. It won't make sense to carry on with this job when his elderly grandparents will need his and Catherine's help more and more. Get those two years in and call it a night child.

He just left the RAF to take this job and he already has 2 elderly grandparents who need his help. He clearly will push as much as he can to stay out of the spotlight and I suspect when this contract is up he will look for another way to be a pilot away from the media.

Who says they need his help? I think it's funny that people think the Queen can't reduce her workload because of William.

Plus, if the Queen and PP really need help, wouldn't Harry also be taking on full-time duties?

Last edited:
I think some people get confused on who are senior royals. William & Catherine are senior royals but just don't work full-time as senior royals. Which means as senior royals, they work for the "Firm" part-time and work another job on the side. Well, William has another job on the side.

It suits The Queen just fine for William & Catherine to take up full-time royal duties but it's William & Catherine's choice to focus on other things full-time before they switch over to full-time royal duties. The "Firm" isn't telling the Cambridge's they don't need their help full-time but pretty much let them know when they're ready.

How do you know the Queen want William and Catherine to take up royal duties full time? I have a hard time believing the Queen, and Charles as well, are acquiescing to William's desires be a full time royal.

Do you have a source for this? I can't ever remember anyone quoting the Queen as to her preferring W&C to be full time royals nor have I seen that its solely W&C choice to go ahead with their plans and everyone else just fell in line with their wishes.

It is my supposition that these plans of the Cambridges were decided on at a meeting of The Way Ahead committee where all of the senior members (working and hereditary) of the British Royal Family, their aides and advisers plan the way forward for the Monarchy (Firm). The meeting (if there was one) was private and the official announcement that was given was the final decision that was agreed upon by everyone and not just W&C.

Last edited:
I think the constituency most disappointed with this news is the press. Their reality is William and Kate sell more papers, draw more traffic to their web sites and sell more magazines. Photographs of Kate in a sea of red poppies, walking into a hospice, or christening a ship generates more income for them than HM, Charles, Camilla or the rest of the BRF doing the entire court circular. The reality is the press is going to write their stories about W&K every day - if there isn't a new appearance then that will be the story - where are they?

I agree with those who have eloquently stated that William being a full time royal working on his charities will do nothing to alleviate HM's work load. The items that may be removed or delegated have already begun to be... investitures and overseas travel. These are both items that are physically taxing on HM.

If we look back to when HM's early married years: she was a navy wife, with 2 small children, an ill (at least weak) father who was King and heir presumptive to the throne and she wasn't a full time royal. There is only so much that can be delegated... she is going to continue to read her boxes, have audiences with PM and other heads of state and she is going to be seen.... because in her own words 'she has to be seen to be believed'... and she is the monarch.

Sharing the burden on HM is up to Charles and I think he is working very closely to truly try and a - alleviate her workload and b - learn from her to allow as smooth a transition as possible when the time comes.

William will still be effective in his charities and they will still do an overseas tours and if he is needed for something I am sure he can handle it. I think most of all William wants to be useful and have a purpose - something his father grappled with himself. William liked 'going to work'. These are good qualities to have.

Prior to her maternity leave, Kate seemed to prefer to cluster her appearances together and would do 3 or 4 in 1 week and then go quiet for 3 weeks; perhaps because of the commute from Anglesey. I think the perception would be better if she was visible 1 day/ week. Note I said visible, I do believe there is more behind the scenes meetings and prep work than they ever get credit for.

I think these next 2 years will be about having another baby and getting settled as a family. I expect they will be in London regularly.... but they may have more privacy now as the press may not know specifically when they are.
I wish them the best.

......and it wont surprise me one bit if Harry isn't far behind in returning to some sort of active role or duty.

A really terrific post. Puts everything into perspective. i agree and I hope William and Catherine enjoy their time in Norfolk.

I also want to add that this job is not without its risks. No mountains as in Wales but in the rural areas he will cover, the majority of electricity is carried over ground and this is a major risk.

So proud of how he wants to help directly. Good for him

Do you have a source for this? I can't ever remember anyone quoting the Queen as to her preferring W&C to be full time royals nor have I seen that its solely W&C choice to go ahead with their plans and everyone else just fell in line with their wishes.

It is my supposition that these plans of the Cambridges were decided on at a meeting of The Way Ahead committee where all of the senior members (working and hereditary) of the British Royal Family, their aides and advisers plan the way forward for the Monarchy (Firm). The meeting (if there was one) was private and the official announcement that was given was the final decision that was agreed upon by everyone and not just W&C.

I think The Queen, Charles and palace officials respect William & Catherine's decision and will welcome them with open arms when they are ready to assume full-time royal duties, which I think will happen once his two year job is up and I don't think will have much choice but to do so at that point anyway. I'm not saying that they have to bow down to their decision but respect and agreed to their plans. William & Catherine are needed and they are being given roles within the "Firm" (William taking on Investitures, he and Catherine attending State events and Catherine going abroad on The Queen's behalf) but their plans are respected and supported.

Last edited:
The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

I find it hard to believe that William didn't sit down and discuss this with his father and grandmother. So they would have had to give the go ahead for William to do this.

I wonder if his contract has a out for if the Queen dies during his 2 yrs? As the first in line with a toddler heir, I would think they wouldn't want the new Duke of Cornwall potentially flying in dangerous conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I wish them the best.

Excellent post!!

I'm not sure why everyone is focused on two years all the articles which I have read state that first there is a 6 month training course, which could go into summer depending on his schedule and the tests he must pass, then he will begin his 2 year commitment and that he hopes to continue this work for the foreseeable future. I predict that he will continue this work as long as his grandmother lives.
William, like his brother, is very much an action man. He wanted to serve in battle like his brother but was forbidden. He found a niche in SAR that suited him but that's being privatized. No one would complain if he'd stayed active military for several more years as did his father, uncle and grandfather. But he didn't want to ride a desk. This is as close to action as he is allowed to get.
I think the UK is fortunate to have a future King who wants to be involved in an honorable demanding position. Many heirs have been indolent playboys - which William could have been, showing up to cut the occasional ribbon oozing superficial charm. Instead he wants a real job suited to his skills and personality.
I'm not sure what makes a good King, but Queen Elizabeth II has been a good Queen with no formal schooling, college, foreign office posts, etc.. She learned from her father and in turn she has been showing William his future role his entire life.
Sure the tabs are upset because W & C on the cover are big bucks for them - but they'll get over it, they'll get over it even faster if some big scandal comes rolling along or when W & C announce they are expecting George's sibling.

Does William want to be King?

I sometimes think that Harry is more interested in Royal duties than William.

Hurrah! At last we have some news and I am very pleased indeed that this is happening. It is very nice that William will be donating his salary to charity. I will be looking to the skies and will wave at every helicopter!
I am not surprised that he intends to once again undertake the role of helicopter rescue pilot. Which begs the question, why on earth did he resign from his previous role in the RAF?

His father has put is interest in many things and not just on one thing. I really did think William would've gone on to more challenging things like working with the Commonwealth office and look at areas on helping other people through that. Air Ambulance is great but I just thought he would've done something else.
Unfortunately no. He did a couple of intense short courses on agriculture and such but basically he just never looked or sounded interested in anything in particular. He knew working overseas wasn't a goer and he didn't show any interest in his father or grandfather's charities.

Victoria Murphy @QueenVicMirror · 4h
So Prince William has finished his "transition year" - and transitioned back to flying

People will reflect on his "transition year" and came out if it.
It just took him a year of procrastination to make a decision that he, surprise, surprise, wanted to fly rescue helicopters again. :bang:

well, I must say that I'm quite glad for William! He can do what he likes and be helpful and the same time. I just have one thing that I don't get: why did they make all this fuss by announcing a "transitional year" and the he got back to do what he was already doing? Just asking because I don't understand! Are the moving to norfolk then?
I think with 20/20 hindsight, everybody should have smeled a rat when, before his Kensington Palace apartment was even finished, suddenly the Queen was acting with surpising largesse and giving William and Catherine Amner Hall and immediately started work on refurbishing it.

I think he will be well pleased with his immediate future and that it keeps the media at bay will be an added bonus. It also allows him a further two and a half years to make a decision as to what he wants to do until his grandmother dies.

I'm not sure why everyone is focused on two years all the articles which I have read state that first there is a 6 month training course, which could go into summer depending on his schedule and the tests he must pass, then he will begin his 2 year commitment and that he hopes to continue this work for the foreseeable future. I predict that he will continue this work as long as his grandmother lives.
William, like his brother, is very much an action man. He wanted to serve in battle like his brother but was forbidden. He found a niche in SAR that suited him but that's being privatized. No one would complain if he'd stayed active military for several more years as did his father, uncle and grandfather. But he didn't want to ride a desk. This is as close to action as he is allowed to get.
I think the UK is fortunate to have a future King who wants to be involved in an honorable demanding position. Many heirs have been indolent playboys - which William could have been, showing up to cut the occasional ribbon oozing superficial charm. Instead he wants a real job suited to his skills and personality.
I'm not sure what makes a good King, but Queen Elizabeth II has been a good Queen with no formal schooling, college, foreign office posts, etc.. She learned from her father and in turn she has been showing William his future role his entire life.
Sure the tabs are upset because W & C on the cover are big bucks for them - but they'll get over it, they'll get over it even faster if some big scandal comes rolling along or when W & C announce they are expecting George's sibling.

Excellent post!!

Let's face it. The Firm (palace) has officially announced William's future plans for the next two years at least. Part time royal duties has gotten the Firm's stamp of approval along with William's choice of an occupation in service to the people. If its a PR nightmare, it will be because that is the way the media will put a slant on things. I really don't think they're overly concerned about appeasing the media or checking what's written about them daily and gauging how they should act, dress, perform etc. by the reporters and comments in the Daily Mail. Its more or less the Firm stating this is how it shall be and case closed.

I find absolutely no problem with any of this and I am happy that for a while, the Cambridges have the freedom from the limelight to follow a path that will be rewarding for their family. The number of appearance and/or duties does not a royal make and to be honest, there is really no obligation at this time to do more than what the Firm has decided is appropriate for them to do.

Thank you! You have said what I've been thinking, only a little more politely :D. It all comes down to the fact that this suits the Firm, and if it didn't, it won't happen. William and Catherine don't seem to care what the media says, and don't seem to really appease them either. For that, I give them a 'thumbs up', because they're telling the world yet again that they'll do things there way, and if people don't like it, too darn bad. I've said this before and I'll say it again; this couple can't win no matter what, so there'll always be vitriol spewing from the media and me members of the public. They're aware, I'm sure, but they're choosing to not let it run their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom