Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The official announcement

Press release

He will draw a salary which he will donate in full to charity.

Hurrah! At last we have some news and I am very pleased indeed that this is happening. It is very nice that William will be donating his salary to charity. I will be looking to the skies and will wave at every helicopter!

Hurrah! At last we have some news and I am very pleased indeed that this is happening. It is very nice that William will be donating his salary to charity. I will be looking to the skies and will wave at every helicopter!

we have air ambulance as well. Usual problems on rural, mostly small roads and few hospitals. vital service which relies on charitable giving.

william once said that there was no greater calling than helping to rescue people from difficult situations (paraphrasing). He is using his skills to great effect. We should be proud of him.

some people will complain but there are years and years ahead for him to go full time and according to the info posted today, he will continue to undertake some royal duties as required.

What is interesting is that the mediaseem to be struggling on how to handle this, even asking people on twitter for their opinions. My guess is that they will find it hard to critiicise William and so will probably turn on Catherine.

I agree they will turn on Catherine, but also expect them to lambast the couple on the renovation of KP [needless extravagance, unecessary expenditure etc.etc...]

The only way for the criticism to not effect Catherine is for her to step up her official engagements and not be seen to decreasing her duties. Her solo trip to Malta on the Queen's behalf will be good for her training but she'll need to be seen doing more as well. Again, they have the full staff to help them out so they'll have to be seen doing their bit as well. There must be a better balance than before.

Very good on William's part on helping other people. Not sure any of it is preparing him for his role as future King though.

Very good on William's part on helping other people. Not sure any of it is preparing him for his role as future King though.

I believe a King must serve his people. And that's exactly what The Duke of Cambridge will do piloting the air ambulance.

I believe a King must serve his people. And that's exactly what The Duke of Cambridge will do piloting the air ambulance.

Well, I guess you can see it that way. He did a lot of that in the SAR. I just thought he would've gone on to do something else like working at the Commonwealth office or land management or something a long those lines.

I hope that once his two year job is done he'll commit to his royal duties full-time. The Queen will be around 91 (God's willing) and she will need the family's help more than ever.

Last edited:
The only way for the criticism to not effect Catherine is for her to step up her official engagements and not be seen to decreasing her duties. Her solo trip to Malta on the Queen's behalf will be good for her training but she'll need to be seen doing more as well. Again, they have the full staff to help them out so they'll have to be seen doing their bit as well. There must be a better balance than before.

At present, his royal life is similar to that of the other royals and he knows how to do that. The next stage wont happen until he is heir so I think there is little challenge in carrying on just doing more of the same.

His father understands that because he has done the same things for 40 years. This is public service and I think that it can only be good for the monarchy that William works along side "ordinary people" ( although doing an extraordinary job); experiences being an employee; and does amazing service in helping save lives.

I take this as a decision by the palace that William will not be taking on more official duties and the same can be expected of Catherine. The media is not going to like this.

For what ever reason, William and Catherine will be leading lives much like minor members of the family - appearing at major events but limited individual duties and appearances on behalf of the Queen. I have read that POW wants to streamline the royal family to the monarch, heir and his family with the rest finding jobs and earning their keep. (like Andrew's daughters)

At present, his royal life is similar to that of the other royals and he knows how to do that. The next stage wont happen until he is heir so I think there is little challenge in carrying on just doing more of the same.

His father understands that because he has done the same things for 40 years. This is public service and I think that it can only be good for the monarchy that William works along side "ordinary people" ( although doing an extraordinary job); experiences being an employee; and does amazing service in helping save lives.

His father has put is interest in many things and not just on one thing. I really did think William would've gone on to more challenging things like working with the Commonwealth office and look at areas on helping other people through that. Air Ambulance is great but I just thought he would've done something else.

And there we have it. Its official and to be honest, I think its the perfect solution for Will and Kate. He's going to be doing something he really feels a calling for, Kate will be able to raise her family in peace and still be close to her charities (EACH is the one that comes to mind the most) and most of all, they'll be away from the press for the most part.

This shows me that all is well with the Firm and it doesn't need fixing or need the younger royals to step up and do more right now. This also, to me, gives Will and Kate two more years to reinforce their line in the sand about press coverage of their private lives. The stronger that line is, the better it will be for the Cambridges when they do start doing full time work for the Firm.

Its a win/win situation and I'm glad they're going this route.

Video:
Kensington Palace has announced that the Duke of Cambridge Prince William is to train as an air ambulance pilot ahead of taking up a full time role next year. If successful, the 32 year old son of Prince Charles and the Princess of Wales, is expected to join the East Anglian Air Ambulance in Cambridge. The service’s Medical Director Alastair Wilson, says his role will centre around flying, but that His Royal Highness is likely to muck-in and make the tea in the morning as well-
Home - ITNSource News

I just hope he and Catherine will find a better balance between this job and fulfilling their official royal duties. Before it was hard for them to find the time to perform royal engagements. Catherine will have to be seen doing her part though.

Off to Petit Trianon, I see. Hopefully it is ready soon.

I think William should dedicate exclusively to Royal duties.
He has no need to be a helicopter pilot.

I hope that once his two year job is done he'll commit to his royal duties full-time. The Queen will be around 91 (God's willing) and she will need the family's help more than ever.

I don't think he will, and The Queen has plenty with other people to help her.

Prince William takes job as 999 helicopter pilot on £40k-a-year but will give it all to charity | Mail Online

And the Duke has made clear that although he will be signing up for the mandatory two year contract, he hopes that the role will continue for longer than that

Agreed. William is doing something that is very useful, and more importantly, he feels like he's doing some good. I'm glad he found something that he loves doing, and gets fulfillment from.

william once said that there was no greater calling than helping to rescue people from difficult situations (paraphrasing). He is using his skills to great effect. We should be proud of him.

some people will complain but there are years and years ahead for him to go full time and according to the info posted today, he will continue to undertake some royal duties as required.

What is interesting is that the mediaseem to be struggling on how to handle this, even asking people on twitter for their opinions. My guess is that they will find it hard to critiicise William and so will probably turn on Catherine.

Well said! And I'm more than positive that the media will turn on Catherine, and then, when that gets old, they'll go back and find something wrong with William. It's what they do, not to mention that no matter what, the couple is almost always at fault for something in the eyes of the media, and some members of the public.

I don't think it's really all that necessary for Catherine to step up anything. She's not the Princess of Wales, so what she's been doing is perfectly fine. Her most important priorities are to support her husband (which she does), and raise her son (which she does as well), and for now, that's substantial. They will still do some engagements, so it's as if they're going into full retirement from public life. And helping people has EVERYTHING to do with being a monarch. It shows he CARES about his people, and wants to make sure he's aware of what goes on. By doing this, he'll raise awareness for the air ambulance, and therefore, maybe help raise donations as well. That's not small by any means.

I'm glad that this is the route that was chosen. Yes, Her Majesty is getting on in years, but I think she's in sound mental and physical health. She doesn't strike me as someone who wants to retire and just relax (and her husband even more so), so there's no need for the Cambridges to 'step up'. He's doing what is best for his family, and his country too, and the Queen respects that decision. Perhaps she remembers what it was like being thrust into royal duties when one just started a family, and she doesn't want that for her grandson.

I don't think he'll continue longer than his two year contract. It won't make sense to carry on with this job when his elderly grandparents will need his and Catherine's help more and more. Get those two years in and call it a night child.

Exactly. William's time to take the Royal duties more seriously.

I don't think he'll continue longer than his two year contract. It won't make sense to carry on with this job when his elderly grandparents will need his and Catherine's help more and more. Get those two years in and call it a night child.

Really, how exactly do you know this? Have you been able to have a conversation with His Highness, or his advisors that was labelled as 'confidential'? And please, don't make it sound like Her Majesty and her husband are frail, elderly people who can't possibly fend for themselves. I'm sure if they needed EVERYONE to step up to the plate, then everyone would have done so. Obviously, the Firm feels that such a step is not necessary for now, or the near future. We can also keep in mind that if something drastic were to happen, those that will need to step up will do so. Again, now is not the time for that.

Agreed. William is doing something that is very useful, and more importantly, he feels like he's doing some good. I'm glad he found something that he loves doing, and gets fulfillment from.

Well said! And I'm more than positive that the media will turn on Catherine, and then, when that gets old, they'll go back and find something wrong with William. It's what they do, not to mention that no matter what, the couple is almost always at fault for something in the eyes of the media, and some members of the public.

I don't think it's really all that necessary for Catherine to step up anything. She's not the Princess of Wales, so what she's been doing is perfectly fine. Her most important priorities are to support her husband (which she does), and raise her son (which she does as well), and for now, that's substantial. They will still do some engagements, so it's as if they're going into full retirement from public life. And helping people has EVERYTHING to do with being a monarch. It shows he CARES about his people, and wants to make sure he's aware of what goes on. By doing this, he'll raise awareness for the air ambulance, and therefore, maybe help raise donations as well. That's not small by any means.

I'm glad that this is the route that was chosen. Yes, Her Majesty is getting on in years, but I think she's in sound mental and physical health. She doesn't strike me as someone who wants to retire and just relax (and her husband even more so), so there's no need for the Cambridges to 'step up'. He's doing what is best for his family, and his country too, and the Queen respects that decision. Perhaps she remembers what it was like being thrust into royal duties when one just started a family, and she doesn't want that for her grandson.

Like it or not, Catherine will need to be seen doing her part. Everyone respects the fact that she have to support her husband and raise her son but she also have a full-time nanny to help and support her. They no longer have William's old and part-time nanny Jessica Webb. It's was understandable that they had a part-time nanny for George, so she had to be home with him on a regular bases. That's no longer the case. Catherine can be a wife and mother but also focus on her royal duties and charities too.

The disappearing act for months at a time won't sell like it did before. As I said all along, they must find a much better balance.

Really, how exactly do you know this? Have you been able to have a conversation with His Highness, or his advisors that was labelled as 'confidential'? And please, don't make it sound like Her Majesty and her husband are frail, elderly people who can't possibly fend for themselves. I'm sure if they needed EVERYONE to step up to the plate, then everyone would have done so. Obviously, the Firm feels that such a step is not necessary for now, or the near future. We can also keep in mind that if something drastic were to happen, those that will need to step up will do so. Again, now is not the time for that.

I just don't think he'll do the job longer than two years.

No, The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh aren't falling all over the place or anything like that but it's important for the younger royals to be seen making an effort to helping out their elderly grandparents and not putting off their royal responsibilities.

The palace can say what they want but if William & Catherine aren't seen doing their job within the royal "Firm" it's going to cause a PR problem for them. It's about finding a balance.

Last edited:
Like it or not, Catherine will need to be seen doing her part. Everyone respects the fact that she have to support her husband and raise her son but she also have a full-time nanny to help and support her. They no longer have William's old and part-time nanny Jessica Webb. It's was understandable that they had a part-time nanny for George, so she had to be home with him on a regular bases. That's no longer the case. Catherine can be a wife and mother but also focus on her royal duties and charities too.

The disappearing act for months at a time won't sell like it did before. As I said all along, they must find a much better balance.

I have stated my point on this several times, and I've heard your responses. I respect your opinions, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

The Queen will be 90, in 2016. It seems the only one doing full-time royal duties, (in the Cambridge household), will be Catherine! However Catherine may feel, its what William wants! If a 2nd baby comes along, more duties will have to fall on other members of the family.

Well, I believe this job will be the final step before the Cambridges become full-time working royals. If everything goes as planned, The Queen will be 91 and The Duke of Edinburgh will be 96, it's impossible for me not to think they'll need help from the Cambridges and Prince Harry.

This two years will also give the Cambridges time to produce a spare - I know it may sound harsh, but that's one of their duties - and raise a family with some "normality".

Daily mail
But the spokesman added: ‘But will this be his main role? Yes, definitely. He is totally committed to it. ‘And the Duke has made clear that although he will be signing up for the mandatory two year contract, he hopes that the role will continue for longer than that.’

And as I said, The Queen has plenty with other people to help her.

I agree that there will be negative PR if Catherine isn't seen taking a more active role than she did early in her marriage when William was in the military.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Well thankfully most critical thinking people don't form opinions based on whatever negative stories the press wants to concoct.

Lets for argument sake pretend W&K announced they will be royals "full-time" then what?

How does W&K working with their own charities and foundation ease any so called "burden" on the Queen?

I don't know who ever came up with the term "royal duties" but its just plain stupid.

Royal duties are public service and charity work, exactly what W&K have done since their marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom