Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with that. Everyone knows that William is the next King after Charles' (short) reign, no matter how he is styled.

He (and his wife) needs to be in the public eye with a proper agenda and not give the impression that he is workshy or without a clue about what he wants to do.

I definitely agree with you. Not to mention the fact that William is considerably older than, say, the Princess of Asturias, and that HM and Charles aren't getting any younger. And it can turn out to be very damaging for him to give the impression that he doesn't really want to be a public person*–*there's no such thing as a private King.

IMO much of what will determine William's path for the next few years is the health of his grandparents, father and HM's relatives. In 2012-2013 there were serious health concerns for the DoE, DoK and Princess Alexandra. I believe that this was a factor in William having a transition year. Should the DoE and the others had to have retired permanently then I believe that William and Kate would have been required to become full time royals. The three have recovered and appear to have resumed much of their former schedules. At this point in time William can choose to go full time or remain part-time with other forms of public service. We also do not have a message from KP or BP regarding his next step so I plan to wait until we do.

If William and Catherine were to begin doing royal duties on a regular, 2-3-4 days a week basis, wouldn't that totally overshadow the appearances of Charles and Camilla? Charles could become King at literally any time, and he and Camilla
need to appear large and in charge in the meantime. This has to be in the minds of some who oversee royal appearances and scheduling. It would look
bad for W & C to draw large crowds several times a week if C & C cannot. JMO

I disagree with that. Everyone knows that William is the next King after Charles' (short) reign, no matter how he is styled.

He (and his wife) needs to be in the public eye with a proper agenda and not give the impression that he is workshy or without a clue about what he wants to do.

I agree with Marg, communication re Willams future is desastrous.

Well, in terms of position in line to a throne William is lower - technically his status is not the same as a crown prince.
Maybe my problem with all this is the lack of robust presentation by the Palace, the PR is useless and at times meaningless. They were the ones who inferred a gap year, considering his options for a public role etc - considering his options?!
It should all have been considered and set in stone years ago!

I do have a bit of a problem with William and Catherine not working as "full time Royals" yet reaping all the benefits (newly renovated KP apartments, lovely place in Sandringham etc.) as I feel as 2nd in line to the throne he needs to do more. Harry does more than William...

I know Kate has had a baby but he is almost 1 year old. Yes having a one year old is exhausting but she has a full time nanny...as do all the Royal mums. She obviously has time to herself - more time than "normal" new mum's. I am not trying to lessen any of the work that Catherine does, but I just feel that perhaps she could do more. When she does attend an engagement it's always about her dress, her hair and her shoes. I know that isn't her fault - the media are obsessed with her. Perhaps if she did more engagements the press would get bored of commenting on her clothing and focus on the work she is actually doing. That's just my personal opinion.

Last time I checked the queen isn't dead so there is no need for him to go full time royal...I think Harry quitting his army job was a joke...he should have stayed...and I swear he left it to spend more time with cressida....and look where that got him.

I think most people who comment on royalty and what they should do have too much time on their hands. At the end of the day they don't make any decisions based on any of us...(any of them)

Last time I checked the queen isn't dead so there is no need for him to go full time royal...I think Harry quitting his army job was a joke...he should have stayed...and I swear he left it to spend more time with cressida....and look where that got him.

I think most people who comment on royalty and what they should do have too much time on their hands. At the end of the day they don't make any decisions based on any of us...(any of them)

Too much time on their hands?! Takes no time at all to comment on royalty and what they should do - such as suggesting Harry should have stayed in the army......

Color me confused but.. Isn’t Harry still in the army only in a different position? And isn’t an office position normal in the British army while ranking up (or however that’s said)?

Color me confused but.. Isn’t Harry still in the army only in a different position? And isn’t an office position normal in the British army while ranking up (or however that’s said)?

right on both counts

I clearly remember reading that one of the fondest times of Queen Elizabeth II's life was when she and husband were young married living in Malta. She enjoyed sitting under hairdryer chatting with other young mothers at beauty salon, etc. Just maybe she completely approves of W & K trying to stay as closely as normal to other young couples [as close as possible for royals] until no longer doable. What ever W & K decide in the coming years, the Queen will certainly have to approve. It's the way it works

I do have a bit of a problem with William and Catherine not working as "full time Royals" yet reaping all the benefits (newly renovated KP apartments, lovely place in Sandringham etc.) as I feel as 2nd in line to the throne he needs to do more. Harry does more than William....

Harry hasn't done more royal wise than William or Kate. According to the forum's engagement count - William 81, Kate 64 and Harry 41.

I do have a bit of a problem with William and Catherine not working as "full time Royals" yet reaping all the benefits (newly renovated KP apartments, lovely place in Sandringham etc.) as I feel as 2nd in line to the throne he needs to do more. Harry does more than William...

I know Kate has had a baby but he is almost 1 year old. Yes having a one year old is exhausting but she has a full time nanny...as do all the Royal mums. She obviously has time to herself - more time than "normal" new mum's. I am not trying to lessen any of the work that Catherine does, but I just feel that perhaps she could do more. When she does attend an engagement it's always about her dress, her hair and her shoes. I know that isn't her fault - the media are obsessed with her. Perhaps if she did more engagements the press would get bored of commenting on her clothing and focus on the work she is actually doing. That's just my personal opinion.
Having a nanny gives Catherine and William more flexibility than most parents have but it does not mean that they aren't devoting most of their time to George. It's safe to say that they are involved as they want to be--and it seems to me that they are very involved.

As posters who are actually parents know, a newborn takes a lot of time and energy until he starts sleeping through the night--if he ever does. There is a short respite, but that changes once the baby starts crawling and walking. There isn't a lot of downtime (or off time). There are always sleepless nights when a child is sick or teething. It is very exhausting.

Regarding William and Catherine's schedule, it would be nice to see more public appearances. At the same time, I remember that Charles and Diana cut back on their public appearances when William was born. It's slightly different because Charles also ran the Prince's Trust at that time, but I wouldn't assume William isn't working behind the scenes. We know he took the course of agriculture management and he's probably involved in other projects as well.

Thank you. I was beginning to get confused as well.

Problem is too many people think William is the Prince if Wales and should be out there like the CPs. Also it seems, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Queens grand children aren't getting a lot of the work. Are any if them full time?

The only one of The Queen's grandchildren that could be 'full-time' royals is William as Harry has a full-time job in the army, which many people forget I think.

Beatrice and Eugenie are reportedly not going to ever be full-time royals and the other grandchildren aren't 'royals' in the sense that they aren't HRH Prince/Princesses and I am not going to discuss again the arguments around Louise and James as those arguments have been discussed over and over again.

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

Harry has a full time job but didn't William have one as well? And now apparently he is getting another one, or is this new one part time? I know 4 of her 8 grand children are royal and 2 of them are children; it just seems maybe this is done purposely. William technically isn't the next generation, he is the next next generation. He and Kate could definitely be seen more than they are but maybe it is a strategy to not have them go FT.
It would suck to be like his father and decade after decade people wondering what good are you just waiting around doing nothing; royal watchers know he does a lot but do the majority of people know this?
Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking and hoping that William isn't choosing the military over his family job.

I think the only reason people see the Cambridges as lazy/workshy, is they aren't currently doing anything permanent to fill their time. People respected William's role in SAR but then he left. I think people preferred him doing this to full time royal duties, but the best solution would be a combination of a flying job, with worthwhile engagements, such as royal tours abroad, rather than just cutting ribbons. as I have said before, Harry seems to have the perfect balance, and I don't see anyone calling him lazy.

I think the only reason people see the Cambridges as lazy/workshy, is they aren't currently doing anything permanent to fill their time. People respected William's role in SAR but then he left. I think people preferred him doing this to full time royal duties, but the best solution would be a combination of a flying job, with worthwhile engagements, such as royal tours abroad, rather than just cutting ribbons. as I have said before, Harry seems to have the perfect balance, and I don't see anyone calling him lazy.

I read this and went away to think about it, whilst watching the TV I saw The Cambridge's at Wimbledon, and I think IMO that is part of the problem. A fair amount of the engagements they do are pretty high profile, 'fun' things. For example, being at Wimbledon, watching the tour de france, watching England in the world cup or play rugby, attending star studded charity balls. None of these things are wrong, and in fact, yes, the Royal Family should attend them but to me it seems as if perhaps William and Kate get to go to alot of these events rather than long days of visiting businesses, charities, schools etc. I know they do these things as well but I guess with other members of the Royal Family we hear and see them do so many of the day to day type engagements that when they appear on TV at a fun sporting event, for example, no one really minds all that much. IMO its staring to seem a little bit like they are picking the fun things they actually would really like to be at and attending them but not putting in the hours doing lower profile, less fun things. (i'm talking perception here, so part of the problem is the media reporting the events)

I find it interesting that there's been no follow up to the articles in mid-June about William definitely taking the air ambulance job. Is it possible that was a misdirection, or possibly a "test balloon"- float it to the press and see how people react?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

When they are at sporting events, it is easier for them to be covered by the media because they are sitting in the stands. You can get reaction shots.

When they are visiting a school like Kate did last week, the coverage is more limited. You have a greeting the officials, meeting some kids and a wave goodbye shot. It isn't really that interesting.

William is President of the FA and Vice Patron of the WRU that why he is at England Football games and Welsh rugby games. Sports Aid had several of their athletes at the Tour de France kick off. Kate is their patron and met them.

Tennis is something they enjoy just like the Queen enjoys horse racing.

In terms of royal engagements, I don't consider the Tour de France event to be the same as Wimbledon. At the TdF event, they were there to do things - cut the ribbon at the beginning and award jerseys at the end. At Wimbledon, they aren't there to do anything but watch tennis like all the other celebrities. It is an engagement for the Duke of Kent because he is there to present the trophy. I have no problem with them going to watch tennis if they enjoy it but l don't consider that to be "work" since they have no official connection to Wimbledon like William does with football and rugby.

Wimbledon will not have been an engagement. The TDF kick off was.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I find it interesting that there's been no follow up to the articles in mid-June about William definitely taking the air ambulance job. Is it possible that was a misdirection, or possibly a "test balloon"- float it to the press and see how people react?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Or unreliable hearsay printed by one tab and repeated by the rest to the point that it became 'fact.' Time will tell.

I read this and went away to think about it, whilst watching the TV I saw The Cambridge's at Wimbledon, and I think IMO that is part of the problem. A fair amount of the engagements they do are pretty high profile, 'fun' things. For example, being at Wimbledon, watching the tour de france, watching England in the world cup or play rugby, attending star studded charity balls. None of these things are wrong, and in fact, yes, the Royal Family should attend them but to me it seems as if perhaps William and Kate get to go to alot of these events rather than long days of visiting businesses, charities, schools etc. I know they do these things as well but I guess with other members of the Royal Family we hear and see them do so many of the day to day type engagements that when they appear on TV at a fun sporting event, for example, no one really minds all that much. IMO its staring to seem a little bit like they are picking the fun things they actually would really like to be at and attending them but not putting in the hours doing lower profile, less fun things. (i'm talking perception here, so part of the problem is the media reporting the events)

I agree, they are mostly seen doing 'fun/fluffy/celebrity' events such as sports events, movie premiers etc, not involved in any 'serious' royal work. On top of that, they go on holiday quite frequently.

Kate took on patronages, yet we don't see her looking after them as a priority.

I agree, they are mostly seen doing 'fun/fluffy/celebrity' events such as sports events, movie premiers etc, not involved in any 'serious' royal work. On top of that, they go on holiday quite frequently.

Kate took on patronages, yet we don't see her looking after them as a priority.

We do see her looking after her charities. She attend the charities forum in which she's updated on the charities and plan when to visit. She's also in constant correspondence with them.

The Tour de France send off involved one of Kate's charities.

http://www.sportsaid.org.uk/news/ar...idge-meets-sportsaid-athletes-at-grand-depart

How are they constantly on vacation? One trip to the Maldives, a family trip to Mustique for Kate and George and a hunting weekend in Spain with Harry for Wills. That isn't a lot.

Also when they attend "fun" events they are usually associated with the event or raising money for charity. William is President of the FA, the Baftas and Vice Patron of WRU. The Mandela film premiere was raising money for charity just like the premiere of War Horse and The Hobbit. It isn't like Kate goes to Wills - I want to see the new Hunger Games movie lets just show up at the premiere tonight.

We do see her looking after her charities. She attend the charities forum in which she's updated on the charities and plan when to visit. She's also in constant correspondence with them.

We know this. But other people don't and that's perfectly understandable. As far as they are concerned William and Kate only work when they are seen. When they are not seen they could be sitting at home watching tv...

Duchess of Cambridge meets SportsAid athletes at Grand Depart - News - Welcome to the future of British sport - SportsAid

How are they constantly on vacation? One trip to the Maldives, a family trip to Mustique for Kate and George and a hunting weekend in Spain with Harry for Wills. That isn't a lot.

Also when they attend "fun" events they are usually associated with the event or raising money for charity. William is President of the FA, the Baftas and Vice Patron of WRU. The Mandela film premiere was raising money for charity just like the premiere of War Horse and The Hobbit. It isn't like Kate goes to Wills - I want to see the new Hunger Games movie lets just show up at the premiere tonight.

In find it perfectly understandabe that people don't think of attending a film premiere as work. Or watching a football match. I don't...

I'm not sure how many hours they spend every week in preperation of events or working staying up to date on charities, but I too doubt they work 40 hours a week. Or at least it feels to me like they work les than that. Especially since they have staff for just about everything.

Going to various events, meeting people, unveiling plaques, planting trees that is the type of work that royals do. Is it physically demanding ? No. Mentally - somewhat because of the constant scrutiny.

The Cambridges don't have a large domestic staff to do everything. It the housekeeper, the orderly and the nanny. It was Kate who was taking care of George at William's polo match. The nanny wasn't even there.

Duchess of Cambridge meets SportsAid athletes at Grand Depart - News - Welcome to the future of British sport - SportsAid

I used the word 'frequently', not 'constantly'. The holiday image has been controversially linked to both for years, and the holidays you mentioned are the holidays we know about. Same goes for the 'behind the scenes' work that many people claim the couple do - but what you don't see, you don't know.

Last edited:
Going to various events, meeting people, unveiling plaques, planting trees that is the type of work that royals do. Is it physically demanding ? No. Mentally - somewhat because of the constant scrutiny.

The Cambridges don't have a large domestic staff to do everything. It the housekeeper, the orderly and the nanny. It was Kate who was taking care of George at William's polo match. The nanny wasn't even there.

I didn't mean domestic staff. I meant secretaries etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom