Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The running of the Duchy will be a significant part of William's life. I sincerely hope he will discuss it with his wife, and that she will be interested in it in more than a superficial way and want to give her input to their discussions. I could be wrong, of course, and her interest might only be of the 'That's nice, dear' sort.

You bring up a real good point here. From what I've seen with the planning of the wedding, the trees in the Abbey and the considerable thought she put into her bridal bouquet, Kate has more than just a passing interest in flora and fauna and if I remember correctly, she spent time talking with Charles about aspects of their wedding day. It wouldn't surprise me to find out she's very much interested in organic farming, land conservation and what is needed. I think this just may be one reason that Charles thinks so highly of her.

Charles is another thing we have to remember as far as William's training in Duchy and Estate management. This is going to be an aspect that Charles will be more than happy to give input into as well as William's grandfather Philip who also has enjoyed his time managing the estates. Wills is not going into this alone by any means and will have a wonderful support system.

The several things that Kate can help William with concerning the duchy such as landscaping and design. The duchy has several rental cottages. Plus the Cambridges would take over some Cornwall and Welsh patronages that Charles and Camilla have now. Plus William will need some one who he trust and would not be afraid to say that something is a bad ideal.

Speaking as a long-time-married person, and being well-acquainted with many others, I can safely say that if your spouse is deeply engaged in a profession, so are you. My husband is an investment advisor, and it is a rare day that he doesn't ask my opinion on various stocks, public situations, international implications and the like. He picks my brain, if you like, because I am always going to know things he doesn't or can't. Likewise, my work (as a travel expert) needs input from others, including my husband.

Married people are a team, and it would be rare if William doesn't ask advice and opinions from his wife.

If he had a passion for it he wouldn't need a course as he would have grown up understanding it - the way most people in agriculture do, especially when their father and grandparents own vast agricultural estates.
I think we underestimate just how much of their lives were influenced by their upbringing. They grew up at Highgrove and I am sure they talked to their dad about what the saw going on just as I am sure he liked to tell them what was happening especially as he is so passionate about it.

Harry's last visit to the US saw an unknown facet of him emerge debating ecology and sustained living. Where did that come from? William and Harry didn't grown up in a bubble.

I'm almost positive I've seen interviews (written) with William where he's talked about his interest in sustainable farming and being involved with his dad's works in that area.

Totally agree ladongas et al..if you are married (and it appears William and Kate have a real marriage) you talk to your spouse about stuff at work or stuff you are doing. You get their input about things.

LaRae

Willi Really? Prince William To Become a Cambridge Student | The Tab Cambridge
The Duke of Cambridge is set to become a full time student of Cambridge University in time for the start of Lent Term.
From the start of January, the lovable Prince Wills will study his own tailor-made course in Agricultural Management in Cambridge University’s School of Technology.
Cambridge students have rounded on Prince William for getting a 'free pass' place at Cambridge University, while falling short of their usual exacting standards.
The Duke of Cambridge, 31, was admitted to the prestigious institution for a 10-week 'bespoke' course in agricultural management, which will see him study for 18 to 20 hours a week at part of the university's school of Technology.
But students and graduates were quick to point out that the Prince's 'mediocre' results from his A-Level studies at Eton were not up to the standards of the average Cambridge student.
Read more: Cambridge students turn on Prince William, as he plans to study with them | Mail Online

I have a degree from Harvard University, a Certificate in Public Health, and my GPA from my bachelors work was pitiful and not up to Harvard standards. But, the program I was in only required a bachelor's degree so while I can say I am a Harvard graduate, only I know that the entry process wasn't as rigorous. I would imagine this is the same case for William since he is not there to study for a bachelor's degree or any other degree, just a 10-week course. I think the people who are upset about this are only looking at this from the surface and not delving deeper into the situation.

One interesting item from the second article is that he expects to spend 2-3 nights per week at Cambridge, so less than the Mon.-Fri. that I was envisioning.
Cambridge Uni paper given 'harassment' warning over call to take photos of Prince William | UK | News | Daily Express
Interesting to compare the actual student blog/article w/ the tabloids' spin on it, the former seems fairly tongue in cheek and humorous, the latter sinister.
I don't understand what the big deal is about William's Eton grades - he is not entering as an undergraduate, hence they are irrelevant. When I applied to Graduate school many years ago not a single application asked what my high school grades where, they only cared about my undergraduate grades and my test results. More significantly, William is not going into a competitive advanced degree course, so why are his University grades even relevant? Are these Cambridge undergraduates so intellectually challenged that they don't understand the difference, or are the tabloid writers clever enough to only quote the intellectually challenged Cambridge undergrads?

Cambridge is about an-hour-and-a-half's drive from Kensington. Between this, and the link you posted, the idea of William taking Kate and George along with him to Cambridge and/or the notion that it signifies trouble in the Cambridge marriage, is/are laughable.

One interesting item from the second article is that he expects to spend 2-3 nights per week at Cambridge, so less than the Mon.-Fri. that I was envisioning.
Cambridge Uni paper given 'harassment' warning over call to take photos of Prince William | UK | News | Daily Express /quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of articles over here. apart from awful weather, there is little news so hence theinterest. Not to be taken very seriously.

Frankly. The students should be attending lectures instead of playing Spot The Prince.

The irony of the Daily Express getting in a twist about a student newspaper following Prince William.... the world has gone mad.

Okay so I'm going to add my two pennies, I think as a current undergraduate student at a 'certain' university, you could view this two ways.

No1 Way - In any form of education after your undergraduate you have to have some kind of qualification to be accepted to study, surely that's the case everywhere and with everyone? Bespoke course or not, Cambridge or not, William has still been accepted onto an agricultural management course with a 2:1 MA in Geography having shown (on the outside at least) he has no passion or desire for the course he's chosen. In this scenario he appears to have been pushed to do the course by his family because a, he has no experience in this area or b, he has 10 weeks free time because now he has no army career to fall back on.

No2 way, I've looked at the website that links from the Cambridge University homepage to this bespoke course, it mentions no qualifications needed and simply lists contact information to apply. Everything else, under or post graduate lists qualifications needed to be accepted on to the course. It's almost as if this is a "pay to go" course that you can add to your CV should you wish. My father works in engineering and often goes on course or does them online to boost his qualifications and know how in his current job or for a future job. Every little helps right? William is going to be The Duke of Cornwall, and the duchy logically will be his to run and from appearances I imagine he knows nothing of how to run a business, or a business as large and vast as the Duchy. It's therefore smart of him to think of/or to accept the suggestion to go on this course.

I can see it from both angles, for me William has never appeared to be pro-active in anything other than avoiding things. I've never met the guy but from hearing him, seeing pictures and videos and reading interviews I have never once got the impression that he actually understands nor accepts his role as the future King. However, from the looks of it he's now at least trying, I imagine he knows what an abdication would do to the BRF, to him and to his brother and so it looks like he's doing a "make do and mend" now.

Frankly. The students should be attending lectures instead of playing Spot The Prince.

Students aren't back to university yet.

Term restarts (for most) on the 6th or the 13th. However that's when lecturers return and you start to go back after christmas, you then have a week or two of exams, a week break, and then you start your second semester. For Cambridge they return on January 14th so the same two week exam, week break, new start applies.

Last edited:
Okay so I'm going to add my two pennies, I think as a current undergraduate student at a 'certain' university, you could view this two ways.

No1 Way - In any form of education after your undergraduate you have to have some kind of qualification to be accepted to study, surely that's the case everywhere and with everyone? Bespoke course or not, Cambridge or not, William has still been accepted onto an agricultural management course with a 2:1 MA in Geography having shown (on the outside at least) he has no passion or desire for the course he's chosen. In this scenario he appears to have been pushed to do the course by his family because a, he has no experience in this area or b, he has 10 weeks free time because now he has no army career to fall back on.

No2 way, I've looked at the website that links from the Cambridge University homepage to this bespoke course, it mentions no qualifications needed and simply lists contact information to apply. Everything else, under or post graduate lists qualifications needed to be accepted on to the course. It's almost as if this is a "pay to go" course that you can add to your CV should you wish. My father works in engineering and often goes on course or does them online to boost his qualifications and know how in his current job or for a future job. Every little helps right? William is going to be The Duke of Cornwall, and the duchy logically will be his to run and from appearances I imagine he knows nothing of how to run a business, or a business as large and vast as the Duchy. It's therefore smart of him to think of/or to accept the suggestion to go on this course.

I can see it from both angles, for me William has never appeared to be pro-active in anything other than avoiding things. I've never met the guy but from hearing him, seeing pictures and videos and reading interviews I have never once got the impression that he actually understands nor accepts his role as the future King. However, from the looks of it he's now at least trying, I imagine he knows what an abdication would do to the BRF, to him and to his brother and so it looks like he's doing a "make do and mend" now.

Students aren't back to university yet.

Term restarts (for most) on the 6th or the 13th. However that's when lecturers return and you start to go back after christmas, you then have a week or two of exams, a week break, and then you start your second semester. For Cambridge they return on January 14th so the same two week exam, week break, new start applies.

I know that however - from the article in the Express:

The Tab must point out that normally students need A*AA at A-level to gain entry to Cambridge University, whilst the Prince only achieved a mediocre ABC. Conveniently though for Will, he is the registered benefactor of the department he will be studying at.”

At the end of the article, Mr Heilpern called on the University of Cambridge's more than 18,000 students to submit pictures of Prince William.

He wants students to harass the Prince, hence my comment.

This man is foolish, and in the same way students get warned that what they say on Twitter and Facebook has an impact on their future careers, so does Mr Heilpern's article. Very short-sighted.

William must realise he's not going to receive the same anonymity he did in Scotland, if he wanted that, it shouldn't have been announced and he shouldn't have chosen cambridge. However, from the information given on the website, I can't imagine this being taught on campus, so only the people on his course, or those who see William travelling will be able to take pictures of him.

I didn't read the express article but the fact it says William is a benefactor of the department he will be studying at is very interesting.

I disagree the man is foolish, he's taken his oppurtunity to express his opinion, an opinion shared by a lot of people, on this subject. He's the editor of the newspaper, do you really expect anything less? I imagine people will be snapping him up when he finishes his degree. Smart move IMO.

In the DM article, a current Cambridge student mentions that Oxford have not educated the next two reigning monarchs, I wonder why?

William must realise he's not going to receive the same anonymity he did in Scotland, if he wanted that, it shouldn't have been announced and he shouldn't have chosen cambridge. However, from the information given on the website, I can't imagine this being taught on campus, so only the people on his course, or those who see William travelling will be able to take pictures of him.

I didn't read the express article but the fact it says William is a benefactor of the department he will be studying at is very interesting.

I disagree the man is foolish, he's taken his oppurtunity to express his opinion, an opinion shared by a lot of people, on this subject. He's the editor of the newspaper, do you really expect anything less? I imagine people will be snapping him up when he finishes his degree. Smart move IMO.

In the DM article, a current Cambridge student mentions that Oxford have not educated the next two reigning monarchs, I wonder why?

Other papers (and you should have a read cos some students thiunk this is a good thing) say that Heilpern has not researched properly and that it is the PoW that is the benefactor. Dear me, another mistake!

Re your last comment - IMO if William had found the appropriate course and had gone to Oxford the Cambridge students would have been complaining about that.

Other papers (and you should have a read cos some students thiunk this is a good thing) say that Heilpern has not researched properly and that it is the PoW that is the benefactor. Dear me, another mistake!

Re your last comment - IMO if William had found the appropriate course and had gone to Oxford the Cambridge students would have been complaining about that.

I had read the DailyMail article with a female student saying, William will bring publicity to Cambridge and "Has Oxford educated the next two monarchs of our great nation? Hell no."

POW is the benefactor of the part of the technology school that organised this course for William. Either way you write it, it could still look like someone's pulled a favour.

From the three articles, this is a bespoke course that has been tailored for William, so he's basically getting a tutorial on agricultural management? Couldn't his father have given him that?

My last comment was actually sarcasm, it's quite clear why Charles and William have never gone to Oxford.

How did Prince Charles acquire the skills to run the Duchy of Cornwall? Or is he just a figurehead?

"Bespoke course". What this means is that the School of Technology runs a number of courses. People (not just William, by the way) can select appropriate classes from those std. courses which builds their own "bespoke"course. It's a really good idea which has brought universities hundreds of thousands of £££ because companies can send their managers on totally appropriate courses to suit their business needs.

Slow news day.

How did Prince Charles acquire the skills to run the Duchy of Cornwall? Or is he just a figurehead?

He learnt on the job it appears. He read Archaeology, History and anthropology at Cambridge. I can't see him being a figurehead in something that he can actually run without being stopped. He's extremely passionate about everything involved in the Duchy.

"Bespoke course". What this means is that the School of Technology runs a number of courses. People (not just William, by the way) can select appropriate classes from those std. courses which builds their own "bespoke"course. It's a really good idea which has brought universities hundreds of thousands of £££ because companies can send their managers on totally appropriate courses to suit their business needs.

Yes I have looked at the website, but that doesn't answer whether William is basically paying for one on one tuition on agricultural management or is he in a class of 20 getting up at 9am to go to his lecture? There's a difference.

Last edited:
It may be that participating in this course will bring another perspective (other than that of Prince Charles). In any event it has been made clear that this is personally financed so why anyone would complain is beyond me. It is the "same old, same old", argument for the sake of argument and criticism of the royal family. Just as corporations hand over large amounts of money for special courses to be taught to their managers I suspect that a large amount of money has been paid for this as well, (beyond the 10,000 pounds already mentioned?) The point is, some people will always find a reason to complain.

Yes I have looked at the website, but that doesn't answer whether William is basically paying for one on one tuition on agricultural management or is he in a class of 20 getting up at 9am to go to his lecture? There's a difference.
I don't think that 10 weeks of one on one tuition cost only 10,000 pounds.

It may be that participating in this course will bring another perspective (other than that of Prince Charles).
I agree. I am sure that William appreciates and respects his father's management of the Duchy but William will put his own stamp on the Duchy, just as Charles has done. I am sure Charles will be supportive of any changes William decides to make.

:previous: I'm not so sure about Charles being supportive of any changes William wishes to make. He is very knowledgeable on the subject and is also known to be fairly opinionated and if William wants to do something Charles thinks is foolish I would expect fireworks.

Last edited:
:previous: I'm not so sure about Charles being supportive of any changes William wishes to make. He is very knowledgeable on the subject and is also known to be fairly opinionated and if William wants to do something Charles thinks is foolish I would expect fireworks.

Okay, if William decides to start using chemical pesticides, Charles will say something. But to my knowledge, the Queen has not interfered in Charles's decisions about the Duchy (I agree she doesn't have the same vested interest) and I expect Charles will stand back. Part of being a parent is understanding that your kids have to make their own decisions. I expect Charles may be frustrated by some of William's decisions, but he supports William's right to be his own man.

Charles wont interfere. When William takes on the Duchy, Charles will be busy being King. This idea that he will interfere is strange, because he has given both his children free rein over the years. I think he will give William the freedom the make mistakes.

AS an aside, one of the reasons the Duchy is so successful is that Charles is really good at selecting the right person for the job. I'm waiting to see if William has the same gift. I will say that it is Charles that sent Jamie L-P to help the Cambridges and I'm not too impressed with the people William has, now he's left.

One of the most important factors for any successful boss (that's William) is to get the right person in the right post. We'll see.

I'm hoping William will get to use some of the knowledge he acquires at Cambridge in the years between the completion of his course and the time he takes over the Duchy. I hope he gets to practise his skills on some property or interests of his own, and that it is during that time that he will have discussions with Charles about his plans and methods.

Charles wont interfere. When William takes on the Duchy, Charles will be busy being King.

And still have his own Duchy to run - he inherits Lancaster when he becomes King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom