Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has always been a "given" that William would take over the land holdings of his father one day. My question is...why did he not study for this while at Uni? He would, IMO, be better off taking a course in how to manage people. He's not going to do any of the work himself, he'll just be managing. When one is in charge of large landholdings, one does not chuck hay. Charles has always "guided" things re: farming and I don't expect William to do any different.

Also, I think it sends a bad message that Kate and George are not going with him. What's with that??? Are there no short-term rentals in Cambridge? Fishy to me.

Perhaps he wanted to study Geography / History of Art when at University. I agree he will always have a professional team managing the Duchy's agricultural holdings, but what is wrong if William spent a few months getting a better understanding of managing farms? IMO, it will give him a better insight on how rural life is, and perhaps lend a perspective that politicians typically miss.

The families that I know that have had farming in the blood have passed the information down through the families with no need for university degrees - and yes I come from such a family by the way. My cousin, who is now running the property learnt from his father and his son is learning from him. None went to uni and the son, having just left school has no intention of wasting his time going to learn from a uni course that will teach him what he already knows. He has friends whose families are wanting or have had their sons go to uni to do these courses - verdict - waste of time as they don't actually teach anything that they didn't already know having grown up doing it from childhood. It is regarded by many people as a 'pretentious' qualification to keep the next generation out of the hair of dad for an extra few years and give them some growing up time between 18 and 21 and also the chance to find a wife but not to learn anything they don't actually know.

I don't think William is seeking to get "farming in the blood". His father has (as will William) successfully employed professionals to manage their estates. The royal men are not, nor are they purporting to be, full time farmers with "farming in the blood". This course will just help William get a better understanding of the issues involved in managing farms, and perhaps, a better understanding of countryside issues. This is a perspective that most politicians these days seem to miss, given that most of them are urban people, and I think will hold William in good tsead in time to come - quite like the PoW was able to at the time of the foot and mouth crisis in the country about 10 years ago.

Also, I think it sends a bad message that Kate and George are not going with him. What's with that??? Are there no short-term rentals in Cambridge? Fishy to me.

It had been a while since you had brought up the issue of the apparently uneasy marriage of William and Catherine. Well done for spotting the opportunity!

It has always been a "given" that William would take over the land holdings of his father one day. My question is...why did he not study for this while at Uni? He would, IMO, be better off taking a course in how to manage people. He's not going to do any of the work himself, he'll just be managing. When one is in charge of large landholdings, one does not chuck hay. Charles has always "guided" things re: farming and I don't expect William to do any different.

The course was designed specifically for him, specifically around what he needs to know to manage the Duchy. I'm sure the Cambridge professors in question know what skills he'll need and what he's trying to get out of the course and are best equipped to provide the right information. I'd be very surprised if management wasn't a big part of this course- that tends to be the case for executive education.

And a short term rental with all the necessary security would be a bit silly for a family of 3, since he can commute most days with very little trouble.

William and Kate have maintained a relationship for ten years, often with separation of more than a couple of days. Somehow I doubt this 10 week course signals something ominous.

But people will look for what they want to see, I suppose.

The subject of Ag management has gained in importance as we look for ways to manage carbon emissions. Simply put, the closer to home one can source one's food the lower the carbon footprint of the food. Likewise, sourcing locally can foster smaller, organic farms that do not have the many controversial issues that large farms present. But taxation, regulation, etc. have to be aligned for small farmers as well as larger concerns for this to flourish.

Ag management has really come of age to include all models of agriculture from small to large. It is no longer something that most people can intuitively understand.

It has nothing to do with passion, but a lot to do with how to foster the future well being of the Nation. Food stability and the cost of food are the bedrock of any civilization. Understanding all the current economic, scientific, social, health, safety and technological issues of modern agriculture is great preparation for any heir to a throne. IMHO

The distance from London to Cornwall is not a problem for commuting at weekends which I imagine he will do. Many residents of the UK work/study away from home and return at weekends. Nothing fishy at all.

HRHermione, seems we're in the same boat when it comes to looking for what we want to see.

When I worked for a large Swiss Bank, I was sent to what is the US equivalent of this "bespoke" course that William will attend. It was called an Executive MBA program. No one failed, no prior education requirements (not even a high school diploma). If you could pay, you could attend. We took, as part of the course, a trip to Japan...we did have fun touring around, though. On the whole, the course was useless and cost nearly $30,000 per student, 17 years ago. Now, people who don't even have a highschool education call themselves MBA's on their CVs, which is a lie.

Since this course is bespoke, will he be the only student? Seems he would with that descriptive. Point being that these courses are pure moneymakers for the Uni.

Last edited:
HRHermione, Since this course is bespoke, will he be the only student? Seems he would with that descriptive. Point being that these courses are pure moneymakers for the Uni.

One of the tabs showed a photo of the home (castle?) that people who take the course can stay in. So people do take it in groups. Whether Wills will or not is a guess.

Since this course is bespoke, will he be the only student? Seems he would with that descriptive. Point being that these courses are pure moneymakers for the Uni.

Does it really matter if he is the only student or if he is in a class of 30, the only fact that matters is that he is making the effort to learn more about running one of the family firms.

Also why would anyone expect him to drag his wife and young baby with him for such a short course when he can probably commute to Cambridge daily for his lectures.

I'm pretty sure he is man enough to cope even if has to live in rented accommodation for those 10 weeks, I mean it's not as if he will really be on his own slumming it as he will have his own staff etc to look after him.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely floored that people are finding fault in William expanding his knowledge. I find it especially weird since people were complaining that William only had a geography degree. I just don't get it, why is getting an education a bad thing? I swear, there are some that will criticize everything that William (and Kate) do.

And I'm not understanding how Kate and George staying in London sends a bad message. Sounds like someone is looking for something that isn't there.

Does it really matter if he is the only student or if he is in a class of 30, the only fact that matters is that he is making the effort to learn more about running one of the family firms.

Also why would anyone expect him to drag his wife and young baby with him for such a short course when he can probably commute to Cambridge daily for his lectures.

I'm pretty sure he is man enough to cope even if has to live in rented accommodation for those 10 weeks, I mean it's not as if he will really be on his own slumming it as he will have his own staff etc to look after him.
Exactly. I completely agree.

I'm sure William is taking this course with the full backing of his wife, Catherine. She knows he's very serious about preparing for his future roles. William & Catherine has spent a great of time a part before when he was in the military. I'm sure he will do whatever he can to look after her and George. There's absolutely nothing fishy about this new development.

The old saying "use it or lose it" comes to mind. It makes more sense that he take the class now, when he's closer to needing the knowledge and isn't likely to forget half of what he would have learned 10 years earlier when he was already at university.

I checked the distance between Kensington Palace and Cambridge University. According to Google Maps, it's an estimated 1 hour 29 minutes drive. I read in one of the articles that the course will consist of 20 hours per week. At an average of five hours a day, that leaves plenty of time for him to commute if he wants to, without disrupting the family with yet another two moves (to Cambridge, then back to Kensington Palace) for such a short period of time. For many years, I commuted over an hour both to and from work every day. It's easily doable.

The old saying "use it or lose it" comes to mind. It makes more sense that he take the class now, when he's closer to needing the knowledge and isn't likely to forget half of what he would have learned 10 years earlier when he was already at university.

I checked the distance between Kensington Palace and Cambridge University. According to Google Maps, it's an estimated 1 hour 29 minutes drive. I read in one of the articles that the course will consist of 20 hours per week. At an average of five hours a day, that leaves plenty of time for him to commute if he wants to, without disrupting the family with yet another two moves (to Cambridge, then back to Kensington Palace) for such a short period of time. For many years, I commuted over an hour both to and from work every day. It's easily doable.

I don't think by any means that this course William is taking is going to be the end all of his land management education but a good solid building block on which to build his knowledge. I also wouldn't think that the course material is specifically put together just for William but rather the courses he'll be taking. I'm sure there is going to be more than just one course at 20 hours per week. Its all good.

I'm sure William and Kate have discussed and figured out how to work it with him being at Cambridge. As stated, 1.5 hours of driving commute is really not that big of a deal. They could even have relatives living in the area to stay with on weekends (how far is it to Highgrove? Anyone know?) Kate may use the time he's away to do other things. We just don't know and not privvy to that kind of information. I don't think we should assume there's a "split" for this couple just because they can go a few days without being joined at the hip.

William's on his way – and Cambridge should be ashamed:
William's on his way

Some people have some very interesting views on William's 10-week course.

The program of study could include attending one or two classes with the general student population in addition to personalized classes. Many universities put together a certificate or course of study made up of their regular courses along with some seminars and one-on-one assignments. What fun it would be to have William as a classmate.

William's on his way – and Cambridge should be ashamed:
William's on his way

Some people have some very interesting views on William's 10-week course.

After reading this article and the comments it generated, it made me realize just what this course is for William. Its very similar to what my husband went through in order to be a licensed EMT. He attended a University but the course was specific to training to be an EMT. It was 20 some weeks IIRC and he did receive a "diploma" or a certificate that he had passed muster to go on and take the National certification test that is required to actually run emergency calls both as a professional and volunteer EMT. This course was not part of any of the degree 2 or 4 year programs that most students attend the University for. As I said earlier, this course for William is not the end all and be all of his future in managing the Duchy of Cornwall and in time, the other estates that will be part of who he is. It is a good foundation for him to build on though.

I seriously believe there's too many folks out there just waiting to jump with glee at finding something to fault the royals about.

William is paying for a management course being run by Cambridge, he is not taking a degree course for which qualifications are required.

William's on his way

Read the comments section from the article and see how this author is generally derided for missing the point.

As for the journey, I would expect him to take the train - for 2 reasons: it's quicker by train and the drive to Cambridge is not easy and actually driving in the City is awful thus making the journey time usually longer.

If h has early mtgs or field trips then he'll probably stay over. As the updated article in the Express said, he'll be missing them both so commuting is on the cards. These 2 managed 6 weeks apart when he went to the Falklands and things didn't fall apart. Some peoples' galsses aren't half full, they are empty.

Someone mentioned the accommodation - it's not a castle, just an old building - looked Victorian gothic to me but not sure.

How many million pounds a year does their estate generate? How large is it? How diverse are the holdings? Because I could be underestimating your family, but I doubt it's at nearly the scale of the Duchy of Cornwall.

Managing an estate like that doesn't just require a basic familiarity with agriculture- there's a lot of business and management skills that are going to be necessary. Yes, he probably could have picked them up by working on the estate his whole life, but if he'd chosen to spend his whole life focused on that instead of going to university and serving in the military, there'd be criticism of him for just loafing around on his father's land like an old school country gentleman instead of getting a proper job and serving his country.

Plus, I'm fairly certain everyone who's critical of this decision would be far more critical if he jumped into managing the estate with no preparation and mismanaged it. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
You raise some excellent points. My state of California is one of the leaders in American agriculture, but I beyond a basic understanding I have little knowledge of the subject. Several of our top state universities have programs devoted to this diverse subject. It's no surprise that our veterinary school is also located close to our enormous San Joaquin Valley.

William did spend part of his youth on a large estate, but unless he'd made that his major in college, I doubt he'd have the depth of knowledge needed.

I don't think by any means that this course William is taking is going to be the end all of his land management education but a good solid building block on which to build his knowledge. I also wouldn't think that the course material is specifically put together just for William but rather the courses he'll be taking. I'm sure there is going to be more than just one course at 20 hours per week. Its all good.

I'm sure William and Kate have discussed and figured out how to work it with him being at Cambridge. As stated, 1.5 hours of driving commute is really not that big of a deal. They could even have relatives living in the area to stay with on weekends (how far is it to Highgrove? Anyone know?) Kate may use the time he's away to do other things. We just don't know and not privvy to that kind of information. I don't think we should assume there's a "split" for this couple just because they can go a few days without being joined at the hip.

Also this is a couple that have spent days apart from each other during their courtship, engagement and marriage due to his SAR work. Ten weeks is unlikely to be a real challenge for them.

It had been a while since you had brought up the issue of the apparently uneasy marriage of William and Catherine. Well done for spotting the opportunity!
:lol:;):p Muriel.

After reading this article and the comments it generated, it made me realize just what this course is for William. Its very similar to what my husband went through in order to be a licensed EMT. He attended a University but the course was specific to training to be an EMT. It was 20 some weeks IIRC and he did receive a "diploma" or a certificate that he had passed muster to go on and take the National certification test that is required to actually run emergency calls both as a professional and volunteer EMT. This course was not part of any of the degree 2 or 4 year programs that most students attend the University for. As I said earlier, this course for William is not the end all and be all of his future in managing the Duchy of Cornwall and in time, the other estates that will be part of who he is. It is a good foundation for him to build on though.

I seriously believe there's too many folks out there just waiting to jump with glee at finding something to fault the royals about.

It is odd how people are reacting to this. He's not going as an undergraduate student. The Duchy of Cornwall or William are paying for his program. In the U.S. we'd call this an extended education course as you are not really competing with another student for the admission slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate will always be a Middleton. The fact she's married William doesn't change that. She still has the same blood and familial ties, and her children are as much Middletons as they are Mountbatten-Windsors, it's just that she is now known by her husband's surname and her children will be known by their father's surname.

Well yes, what I actually meant is first and foremost her duties and ties are to the royal family. If something best suits them, especially business wise she should be a royal not a Middleton.

Also this is a couple that have spent days apart from each other during their courtship, engagement and marriage due to his SAR work. Ten weeks is unlikely to be a real challenge for them.

and can you imagine the uproar if Catherine and George were relocating to Cambridge with William?

1- what? they cant be apart for 10 weeks - its only a 90 min drive? my spouse and I have dealt with longer separations than that?

2 - KP and Anmer Hall are not enough accommodations that 'we' have paid for - now 'we' have to pay for another home because kate cant be alone.

3 - what about the Duchess' working ... her husband is going to school; does she have to stop too? (which really translates to no photo ops for the paps)

William is taking a course and will continue his responsibilities.... end of story. Good for him. Cambridge is on the way btwn London and Norfolk; im sure he can find a place to sleep.

The families that I know that have had farming in the blood have passed the information down through the families with no need for university degrees - and yes I come from such a family by the way. My cousin, who is now running the property learnt from his father and his son is learning from him. None went to uni and the son, having just left school has no intention of wasting his time going to learn from a uni course that will teach him what he already knows. He has friends whose families are wanting or have had their sons go to uni to do these courses - verdict - waste of time as they don't actually teach anything that they didn't already know having grown up doing it from childhood. It is regarded by many people as a 'pretentious' qualification to keep the next generation out of the hair of dad for an extra few years and give them some growing up time between 18 and 21 and also the chance to find a wife but not to learn anything they don't actually know.

It's very nice that your cousin feels no need for formal education in agriculture and has learned from his father and is teaching his son. Very commendable. But, tell me, is your cousin's property as vast as the Duchy of Cornwall? Does he own a castle as large as Balmoral or Sandringham? If so, congrats, if not, you need to not criticize the decision of Prince William to take a course in conservation and land management. People learn in different ways and this is the way William chooses to learn what he needs to learn for his future.

My oh my what a fuss about nothing:

1) its ten weeks not a lifetime - I'm guessing he will commute most days with perhaps the odd overnight stay when he has to be in early/stay late. Based on how often (or how little Kate actually stayed on Angelsey when he was there I don't think there will be a problem, most couples can cope with time apart) If there were problems in the marriage wouldn't it be more likely the upcoming overseas tour later this year would be a solo one for William rather than the whole family going?!
2) he is not pulling rank and getting onto a degree course without the qualifications, he is attending a training course that is being paid for privately, the money from which (as I'm guessing its alot) probably helps Cambridge fund schemes and programmes to get more people from less elite backgrounds into the uni
3) No one - not William or Kensington Palace, is saying this is going to make him the best land manager in the world or the best farmer ever, its going to help him understand how things work etc ad help give him an insight into some of the issues the estates might face. Of course its also important to remember the royal Family employ professional farmers and managers as well so William probably just wants to be able to know what they are going on about and be able to be part of the decision making process. At the end of the day if its being paid for privately its not up to us to say if its value for money or not.
Its a good thing for William and tbh not up to us to judge its use to him.

Some European royals and nobles have advanced degrees. Even Stephanie of Luxembourg has an advanced degree. Not that this course will give an official advanced degree, probably just a certificate of completion, but any royal or noble person who gets more education is just keeping up with the European Joneses. (Obviously there are some European royals who do not have advanced degrees, possibly not even Bachelor's, but the trend is toward higher education, particularly in Business). Another good example, Crown Princess Victoria.
The royals who think almost exclusively about clothing and horses are still there, but they seem old-fashioned.

Prince William was seen walking across the Thames.

DM headline: Prince William Can't Swim!

It's very nice that your cousin feels no need for formal education in agriculture and has learned from his father and is teaching his son. Very commendable. But, tell me, is your cousin's property as vast as the Duchy of Cornwall? Does he own a castle as large as Balmoral or Sandringham? If so, congrats, if not, you need to not criticize the decision of Prince William to take a course in conservation and land management. People learn in different ways and this is the way William chooses to learn what he needs to learn for his future.

Actually, I don't think its the size of the estate that matters. With family run businesses such as Iluvbertie's cousins, the education from father to son on day to day operations is a primary concern that takes place over time and actually doing the work and/or managing is a way of life. Its steady, hands on and a top priority for the son's future. Managing estates and duchies is just going to be a facet, albeit an important facet, of what William's future entails. Both methods work well.

As far as Kate still being a Middleton and all that, I don't think any of us would disagree on the fact that when she married into the Royal Family, she also signed up to work for, promote and represent the family Firm. Although her family does own and operate its own business, I don't think that we will at any time in the future see Kate as a representative of it. She is first and foremost an "employee" of the Firm and anything outside of that could be considered conflict of interest. Perhaps though should the Firm ever think they want to add something along the lines of a mail order division to whatever such as gift shops etc, they'd seek out the Middletons as people that know what they're doing when it comes to a mail order aspect of business.

So, in the few months since William has left SAR, he's a full time husband and father, has upped his work with his charities and patronages, has done an investiture at BP for The Queen which included practicing with the sword in Scotland, has enrolled in a course to aid him in future managing of estates and duchies and there are plans in the works for a possible overseas tour. I think we can safely say he's not been sitting home in his underwear playing video games while Kate sits on the couch besides him with George eating bonbons. They're both getting prepared to step up even more so as full time working members of the BRF. :D

I can't fault William for this course. I think it's a good way to spend some of his time in his non-gap year. I hope he does more short-term courses of this sort, in different subjects. Psychology, political science, economics and international relations spring to mind, for there are lots of things he needs to learn to fit him for his future role/s. He'll no doubt be having/has had private tuition in constitutional history. I applaud him for the timing, too. He gets to escape from the screaming baby. :lol:

As far as Kate still being a Middleton and all that, I don't think any of us would disagree on the fact that when she married into the Royal Family, she also signed up to work for, promote and represent the family Firm. Although her family does own and operate its own business, I don't think that we will at any time in the future see Kate as a representative of it. She is first and foremost an "employee" of the Firm and anything outside of that could be considered conflict of interest. Perhaps though should the Firm ever think they want to add something along the lines of a mail order division to whatever such as gift shops etc, they'd seek out the Middletons as people that know what they're doing when it comes to a mail order aspect of business.

When she said "I do" she didn't lose what made her a Middleton or the knowledge she acquired of the Middleton way of doing things, and I'm sure she will continue to discuss her parents' way of doing things with them. She brought to her marriage and her new job as a member of the Firm her Middleton ideas and will no doubt offer opinions. Or at least I hope she does.

Last edited:
I very seriously doubt if Catherine will have much say in the running of the Duchy of Cornwall at all, she will have her hands full not with just children but all her own interests and charities. The Middleton's will continue to do what they are doing now, supporting their daughter and William as loving parents and maybe a future sounding board when life gets too hectic for them, after all, we all need time to regroup and refresh before we face the world.

I very seriously doubt if Catherine will have much say in the running of the Duchy of Cornwall at all, she will have her hands full not with just children but all her own interests and charities. The Middleton's will continue to do what they are doing now, supporting their daughter and William as loving parents and maybe a future sounding board when life gets too hectic for them, after all, we all need time to regroup and refresh before we face the world.

The running of the Duchy will be a significant part of William's life. I sincerely hope he will discuss it with his wife, and that she will be interested in it in more than a superficial way and want to give her input to their discussions. I could be wrong, of course, and her interest might only be of the 'That's nice, dear' sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom