Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Wills, Charles did stints in multiple branches got his wings from the RAF. Philip presented them and Charles got to give William his. I wonder who George will get his from?

I would bet that he gets them from William along with a gag gift of a larger sized t-shirt with "Daddy's Little Co-Pilot" on it. :ROFLMAO:

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 12m 12 minutes ago
KP-Prince William has completed the first phrase of his air ambulance helicopter pilot training with Bond Air Services earlier than expected

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 8m 8 minutes ago
KP-The final section of Prince William's in-work training will commence on 1st June after his paternity leave and engagements in late May.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 15m 15 minutes ago
The Duke of Cambridge is on unpaid leave until June 1 after completing the first stage of his air ambulance flight training early.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 15m 15 minutes ago
Kensington Palace says William already had royal engagements planned for late May but apart from that, will be off with the new baby.

It's great that he finished early. This means he'll be able to be in London and won't have to make the 2+ hour drive when Kate goes into labor

Wasn't he supposed to take 2 weeks of paternity leave? Maybe I am mistaken.

I bet the FA Finals May 30th might be part of the late May engagements for the FA President. Aston Villa hasnt won the FA Cup since 1957. It might be William's only shot to witness them win one again.

The next phase of training will require 3 straight weeks and access to the helicopter which is scheduled for starting on June 1. So he can't go any further on his training so he is taking unpaid leave on top of the paternity leave.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Wasn't he supposed to take 2 weeks of paternity leave? Maybe I am mistaken.

William is taking a mix of un-paid leave and paternity leave during the next few weeks. The laws on paternity/maternity leave changed here in the UK for children born / adopted after 5 April (I think) which allows more flexibility for parents of either sex to take or share leave. I have no idea how it all works, but obviously William's employer has granted whatever leave he is taking and he will be back to work in June.

this is based on a report from Republic and they are entitled to have their view published.

I think its fair. I accept the time William has taken to do exams and 1st phase of Air Ambulance training but he left the RAF in September 2013 and IMO could have made a much greater contribution to the royal workload than he has.

I also think that the PR team he had at the time (2013) did him no favours in how they presented what he would be doing.

As is usual, this report isnt 100 accurate but it does have truths within it. As Richard Palmer tweeted, being a monarchist does not mean never criticising or calling to account

this is based on a report from Republic and they are entitled to have their view published.

I think its fair. I accept the time William has taken to do exams and 1st phase of Air Ambulance training but he left the RAF in September 2013 and IMO could have made a much greater contribution to the royal workload than he has.

I also think that the PR team he had at the time (2013) did him no favours in how they presented what he would be doing.

As is usual, this report isnt 100 accurate but it does have truths within it. As Richard Palmer tweeted, being a monarchist does not mean never criticising or calling to account

I agree with you. IMO if I look at William as if I didn't know who is is I would say he is the "spare" and not the heir from his work ethic. :ermm:

William is the spare. He is the spare to the heir apparent which is his father. If the Queen wanted either Wills or Harry doing full time Royal work then they would be doing it. People keep saying that he needs to pick up the burden off his grandparents. To me it's seems that his grandparents want to keep on doing what they have been doing.

Charles left the Navy to help with the silver jubilee and 38 years later he still isn't King. The Queen is the opposite she lost her early family time because of becoming Queen so young. So both of them are letting William do something he loves-flying and spend time with his young family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I can see questioning the decision to only be a part-time royal, but his work ethic seems fine. He's pretty much had a full-time job (or training for one) since he left college. He may not have been cutting ribbons 24/7, but he was serving his country.

I was fine with his transitional year. The only mistake I think he made, was by not being more organized. If he had laid out his plans a little more, there probably would have been less criticism. He could have even said, I want to take the next year and spend it with my family while I decide my next move.

As for the report, I imagine they would find a similar result for the rest of the royals.

Totally agree Skippyboo.

Given the extra-ordinary circumstances we have here in Britain, in that there are two adult direct heirs to the throne (one of whom had carved out an excellent and extremely busy role for himself as the Prince of Wales), I don't think William has done too badly in trying to develop a career to tied himself over until he steps up to fill his father's shoes. It's just unfortunate, I suppose, that his career choice means a lot of training and waiting (for us at least!) until he starts the job proper!

Maybe Republic will do another report in a year's time and the results will be different!

I agree that there is the impression of disorganisation in terms of making public William's intentions and plans - the PR is not always as slick as it should be.

Yeah, their PR team has been lacking at times. I think they may have learned from this last year though. I notice that they are getting much better at communicating - for instance keeping us up to date on William's training and announcing W&K's post-birth plans. Not to mention the difference in how they're handling Harry's transitional year.

Last edited:
Sounds like being on Will's PR team is truly a thankless job.

Yeah, their PR team has been lacking at times. I think they may have learned from this last year though. I notice that they are getting much better at communicating - for instance keeping us up to date on William's training and announcing W&K's post-birth plans. Not to mention the difference in how they're handling Harry's transitional year.
I agree. IMO they've improved greatly since 2013 and I believe it will benefit the Cambridges and Harry.

A little insight in this issue from an interview Harry gave in New Zealand:

"This part of the role (royal duties) is fantastic but I and William, both of us feel as though we need to have a wage as well to work within normal people, to keep us sane, to keep us ticking along and also surely in the future from our point of view, if we want to make a big contribution, or a valid contribution and be taken seriously, then we need to work alongside other people."

"This part of the role (royal duties) is fantastic but I and William, both of us feel as though we need to have a wage as well to work within normal people, to keep us sane, to keep us ticking along and also surely in the future from our point of view, if we want to make a big contribution, or a valid contribution and be taken seriously, then we need to work alongside other people."

Thanks to him for clearing this up. They want to, feel they need to and will work in non-royal roles for a while. I completely agree with the logic.

In an age of professional politicians who have no real life experience or connection to the people they claim to represent, I think its brilliant the future King of Canada and his family want to connect with their subjects and work alongside 'real people'.

Its no wonder they're so popular.

IMHO this is obviously something that both brothers believe is important to better understand the public they will be serving in the future.

I totally get what Harry and William are doing. I just think there must be a good balance between work and royal duties. It's good that Harry is focusing on royal duties more, because his military career had completely taken over and his royal duties was very much lacking. Things are changing though. One must be seen helping The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh.

IMHO this is obviously something that both brothers believe is important to better understand the public they will be serving in the future.

I am thinking that this may be something that Diana brought to the table, so to speak. This connecting with "normal" people seemed to be important to her as a parent. Not trying to slight Charles or his parenting style/skills, I just think this concept was emphasized by her.

JMHO

I totally get what Harry and William are doing. I just think there must be a good balance between work and royal duties. It's good that Harry is focusing on royal duties more, because his military career had completely taken over and his royal duties was very much lacking. Things are changing though. One must be seen helping The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh.

I am not sure I agree that it is important to be seen to be helping the Queen and DoE. They are masters of their own schedules, and delegate as much or as little as they want to.

I think it is important for William, Catherine and Harry to identify their own "niches", and support causes in those areas, as they balance their royal duties with their other careers. For W&C, this has meant carrying out a number of engagements over a short period of time when they are in the London area, and then again a few weeks later when they are again in London.

If this were to continue once William becomes Prince of Wales, he wouldn't be able to take on so many patronages/visits etc. which I think would not be a bad thing. Not because he is bad at it :) but rather I do think the British Royals as a whole perform so many engagements which could be cut down. Less tours/visits would be less expensive too.

I am not sure I agree that it is important to be seen to be helping the Queen and DoE. They are masters of their own schedules, and delegate as much or as little as they want to.

I think it is important for William, Catherine and Harry to identify their own "niches", and support causes in those areas, as they balance their royal duties with their other careers. For W&C, this has meant carrying out a number of engagements over a short period of time when they are in the London area, and then again a few weeks later when they are again in London.

I just think with The Queen in her 90th year and Prince Philip approaching his mid 90's, the young royals have to make sure there is a very good and healthy balance to their outside jobs and royal duties. They can't neglect their royal duties by putting the majority of their focus on their outside jobs. William has publicly expressed that difficulty, and Harry has noticed the difficulty as well. Balance is key, but the windows for the extra jobs are getting smaller by the year.

The concept, which Harry has pointed out, is a very good and levelheaded idea.

Yes, It's important for them to carve out their own roles.

Last edited:
One thing I've come to realize in my time here is that although there's a lot of yellow journalism and places like the Daily Mail where the norm in the comment section tends to lean towards the royals being "spongers" and "whiners" and a mass of other negative connotations, is that the Firm is a well run family business and their business is to support and serve the people. Nothing is left to chance and they very much look to the future and plan as such to keep the monarchy relevant and productive in today's world and they're doing it by example.

Its often been said that actions speak louder than words. To me, seeing the younger royals finding their own ways and means of supporting and serving the people such as Will's work with SAR and now as an air ambulance pilot, Harry's service in the armed forces and championing his wounded comrades and Kate not only wishing to be a hands on full time mother, but also championing various areas where the welfare of children needs attention and then all three of them joining together in a foundation that unites so many causes and so many people for the greater good. To me, these *are* royal duties and in the long run will not only keep the up and coming younger royals in touch with the people, but also keep the people in touch with the future of the monarchy and see that those that represent the Crown are much much more than ribbon cutters or troop inspectors or marionettes to hang gongs on and that they actively strive to serve.

For now, those that actively do the work that appears in the court circular have things in good order and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Charles had to establish what his role as The Prince of Wales was. Now its Will and Harry's time to find their own paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom