Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
I think he will be a very busy man flying as a pilot. I like the fact that he is given a chance to have at least some type of normal life before he takes on royal duties full time. Even royals need to feel useful and that they are doing something to full fill themselves besides cutting ribbons or doing small talk all day.

I'm sorry if I am re-plowing the field at all, but I lost internet connectivity last week and am playing catch up. You all probably enjoyed the break...:whistling:

After reading the press release on the EAAA job (Press release ) and visiting the EAAA site (Helicopters) I was a bit befuddled.
The 135 aircraft has room for 2 crew (pilot and emergency med person) the patient and a person accompanying the patient. So, when The Duke is co-piloting, he will be bumping the family member/friend off the flight. The press release made it sound like co-piloting was normal. It seems not.
EAAA will be taking delivery on a new 145 aircraft, which is larger and carries two pilots, three crew and a patient.
That increase in staff for the new, larger aircraft will mean that they will need to up their funding and certify existing staff on the new equipment. They are charity funded. On their jobs page, they are currently seeking Fundraisers and Medical personnel.
BTW - visit their news page to see how often their service is used. They are very busy most days!
Their Christmas catalog is out. ;)
EDIT: elsewhere on the site EAAA says the 135s fly with a doctor, paramedic, pilot and patient. If a doc and paramedic fly, I think that means no room at all for a co-pilot.

If that is correct what the hell? Is this some kind of fundraising stunt for the organisation? They must also be wanting to raise their profile/brand to get more donations/sponsors. Why else potentially sacrifice a space or make such a large investment? WoW!

If that is correct what the hell? Is this some kind of fundraising stunt for the organisation? They must also be wanting to raise their profile/brand to get more donations/sponsors. Why else potentially sacrifice a space or make such a large investment? WoW!

If anything, those plans were well into the works before William ever decided that he wished to be a part of EAAA.

It IS a a non profit organization that is in service to the people in the area and of course, they'd like the best possible equipment that they can get. It matters. I don't see William's contribution to flying for EAAA as any kind of a sacrifice of space but I see it more as his contribution to the people in his neighborhood. Trust me, having William on board is not going to make that much of a difference to the equipment they have or how the organization works. It'll be him that fits into their workings and not their workings fitting themselves around him. What they do is paramount to the community and to think that because William is going to be a part of it for gain is pure fluff and is ridiculous.

If anything, those plans were well into the works before William ever decided that he wished to be a part of EAAA.

It IS a a non profit organization that is in service to the people in the area and of course, they'd like the best possible equipment that they can get. It matters. I don't see William's contribution to flying for EAAA as any kind of a sacrifice of space but I see it more as his contribution to the people in his neighborhood. Trust me, having William on board is not going to make that much of a difference to the equipment they have or how the organization works. It'll be him that fits into their workings and not their workings fitting themselves around him. What they do is paramount to the community and to think that because William is going to be a part of it for gain is pure fluff and is ridiculous.

All the bolded you state with unbounded conviction, dear Osipi. :flowers: Sadly, there is no evidence to base any of your hopes/opinions on. Point of fact, the smaller chopper is the better equipment for their purposes. JMO of course.

However, if they did have their eye on the larger chopper (maybe for longer hops), I think William coming on board enabling that to happen is a very good thing. The reality with William will always be security and liability. It may well be that this chopper is the condition upon which the Queen, Charles and their security teams agreed to this venture of William's. I assume that William does not fly without a security officer with him. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that). Some 'informed' speculation on my part, but speculation none-the-less.

Whatever is the situation I would also speculate that, if William is the cause for this purchase, the monarch will make sure the charity is not out any money on the arrangement. It would have to be so, don't you think? :flowers:

Last edited:
^^^ I'm not sure why you think a smaller helicopter with limited range and speed is best suited to the charities needs. The whole idea of air ambulance is to provide care in the most secure and timely manner. The new helicopter does just that
Sky’s the limit
We are determined that EAAA will continue to provide the very best in emergency care to the people of East Anglia. With this in mind we are due to be the first air ambulance in the UK to take delivery of a brand new EC145 T2 helicopter.
This is fantastic news for the charity for a number of reasons. The EC145 can:

• carry two pilots, three HEMS crew and a patient
  • carry enough fuel to fly for over two hours with a range of nearly 300 nautical miles (335 statue miles)
In contrast, the EC135T2e can carry one pilot, two HEMS crew and a patient for 90 minutes with a range of 186 nautical miles (214 statue miles) so this represents a very exciting advancement for the charity.

I think another way to see the issue is that Great Britain has chosen to privatize rescue services. In many places - these privatized services exist as charities. In theory - that makes sense, because one might question if shareholders' returns should be driving decision making on air ambulance and rescue work. With the Duke working in this position, it will ensure that the rescue work is top notch and safe. It will bring a needed spotlight onto the work, in general.

Let's not get off topic. He has experience as an air rescue helicopter pilot. He is the Duke of Cambridge and will be flying the Cambridge area. EAAA will get better aircraft that will allow family members to accompany patients. There are a lot of winning things about Wills taking this position.
He's taking a position that connects to PRIVATIZATION (not shouting - just emphasizing). Has any other royal tackled this issue? Good for him - because it has changed the quality of life for all of us (IMHO)

In fact, this will improve the visibility of rescue work all over the world. That's a great thing. You can choose for your cup to be half full on this issue. I am doing that.
And I am also keeping an eagle eye on the whole business.
The new job does not come without risk for the Duke of Cambridge. I like him and I want him to live a life as long and full as his grandfather's. It's not a desk job - it carries inherent dangers, requires skill, bravery and compassion. He has all those attributes.
And finally - there are days where they fly multiple runs each shift. The longer range of the new equipment means that refueling will be less of a problem. If it were my granny with a heart attack and seconds counted, I'd be happy to know EAAA got to her side without a pit stop. And that one of us could hold her hand on the way to the appropriate hospital. :)
I have no doubt that my local air rescue will upgrade aircraft soon.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you think a smaller helicopter with limited range and speed is best suited to the charities needs. The whole idea of air ambulance is to provide care in the most secure and timely manner. The new helicopter does just that

Maneuverability in tight situations, for one. Also, they don't need to fly that far. All the specs for the the ones they have seem fine for the very small area they serve. Larger chopper is more expensive to run and maintain, not to mention storage/parking. But you know, even if this new purchase is due specifically to William being on board, it will never be so stated, not so? ;)

Hey, I'm not an expert. Just going by what I see on the tarmac and adding up the 'numbers'. I could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time. :flowers:

Good grief. Posters on here are nw criticising a charity for tryingto improve its service.

Sickening!

Good grief. Posters on here are nw criticising a charity for trying to improve its service.

Sickening!

Ouch! :ermm: Not having a good day, I guess? If this is in regards my post, I'm not sure I was criticizing the charity. Not sure anyone else was either but that's for them to say. I was just following the line of thought that when William was in Wales he always flew in tandem with someone - be he named the pilot or co-pilot. I can see the reasoning behind it.

In this case it was being questioned why a larger chopper was being purchased by the charity. Bigger is not necessarily better in these kind of situations. As I say, I am far from an expert but imo it's a wise move given that William needs a co-pilot (liability issues, I would guess) and a security officer. Doesn't it make sense? It does to me, but I best bow out. I did not mean to upset, cepe.

Peace. :flowers:

Last edited:
I don't think the RPO flying with William reports are accurate. The RPO definitely didn't fly along with William when he was in the RAF. The Sea King is a much bigger helicopter than what he will fly with the Air Ambulance. I would think the shift work and helmet & uniform would give him enough cover.

A larger helicopter can cover more distance since it has more fuel. The helicopter has to go from its base to the scene then the hospital and back to back all in one fuel load. With 2 pilots, one can be flying and the other navigating and keeping an out on the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Good grief. Posters on here are nw criticising a charity for tryingto improve its service.

Sickening!
What a masterly understatement. We have people with no Military, Aviation or EMS training, pontificating about utter nonsense. Now they are intimating that EAAA are buying a bigger helicopter so William can have or be a co-pilot or maybe have a RPO on board.

All obvious reasons are going out the window, more room for patient(s) and Medics, greater range, faster speed, all mean nothing.

I am not a died in the wool Cambridge fan and I utterly abhor what, IMO, is a totally wasted year of dithering on William's part. However, I appreciate that he is a trained pilot and with the requisite conversion training will be an asset to EAAA and, as with the RAF, will be flying "solo", with no nanny in sight.

Another positive to think about in regards to a newer, bigger air ambulance is that it may also be outfitted with more advance medical equipment needed by the paramedic.

As part of a volunteer fire/rescue organization, I can attest that they were constantly looking to upgrade everything and the cost of a new fire engine or ambulance was quite steep. It took years of planning and fund raisers in order to make the purchase.

What a masterly understatement. We have people with no Military, Aviation or EMS training, pontificating about utter nonsense. Now they are intimating that EAAA are buying a bigger helicopter so William can have or be a co-pilot or maybe have a RPO on board.

This is all so clearly directed at me. :sad: I am bewildered at the animus. While I am by no means an expert in these things, as I said, I do have some passing knowledge. :ermm: What I'm saying makes perfect sense. It's not in any way a diss of William. How could it be? However, as I also said, I will say no more.

I feel compelled to say, though, that I do not understand why such innocuous opinions should have generated such lightening. It's as though I stepped on a landmine unawares. Pleasant posters have turned on a dime. To have the word 'sickening' applied to a pov and approved of as an 'understatement' (and 'masterly') has me flummoxed. :sad:

I am enjoying my time here. I have experienced no attempt to control polite, healthy discourse. So I am surprised by this - which becomes a means whereby a poster backs off from commenting for fear of unpleasant blowback. You can disagree with me - but why the 'sickening'? By contrast, I am on a chat site that discusses international politics (think: Middle East). You can imagine the passions that back up a position there but even there we manage civil discourse. Why not here? Where the subject matter is so far less of immediate import? I do wonder. But that's off-topic.

As I say, I will say no more on it. I really do mean it when I say: Peace. :flowers:

This is all so clearly directed at me. :sad: I am bewildered at the animus. While I am by no means an expert in these things, as I said, I do have some passing knowledge. :ermm: What I'm saying makes perfect sense. It's not in any way a diss of William. How could it be? However, as I also said, I will say no more.

I feel compelled to say, though, that I do not understand why such innocuous opinions should have generated such lightening. It's as though I stepped on a landmine unawares. Pleasant posters have turned on a dime. To have the word 'sickening' applied to a pov and approved of as an 'understatement' (and 'masterly') has me flummoxed. :sad:

I am enjoying my time here. I have experienced no attempt to control polite, healthy discourse. So I am surprised by this - which becomes a means whereby a poster backs off from commenting for fear of unpleasant blowback. You can disagree with me - but why the 'sickening'? By contrast, I am on a chat site that discusses international politics (think: Middle East). You can imagine the passions that back up a position there but even there we manage civil discourse. Why not here? Where the subject matter is so far less of immediate import? I do wonder. But that's off-topic.

As I say, I will say no more on it. I really do mean it when I say: Peace. :flowers:

Welcome to The Royal Forums, Lady Nimue! :flowers:

Just for the record, I've had EMS training. :D

In contrast, the Queen, DoE, Charles, and when she was alive Diana all have (or had) the ability to feign interest. To make the charity or event or whatever seem important.

Sorry, but as regards the Queen, this is just not true.

Just to be clear, I adore the Queen. See my avatar for proof of that. But, if one pays close attention to the Queen's engagements, and even the DoE's, it's entirely obvious when they're not interested.

Take the Queen's visit to the Game of Thrones set in Belfast, for example. The Queen looked pretty absent for most of it. She was being shown the Iron Throne and you could tell she really wasn't all that bothered. It's not her thing, so I don't hold it against her. I had family members go and stand in the rain for several hours in NI on the same visit to see the Queen and they felt that she was more or less going through the motions too. She was going back home to London afterwards, so I'd say that played a part. They weren't unhappy with it but they just didn't feel any real connection to her that day.

Take a look at the faces of any member of the royal family as they watch some troop of young people perform a modern dance routine or the like, and you can almost see their eyes glaze over.

To suggest that all the royals bar William can feign interest in things they couldn't give a tuppenny-damn about is just not born out by what we see from them. It's not possible for people to always look super interested when they're just not.

Where William excels is when he's meeting the ordinary folk who have stood behind the barriers waiting to see him. The Queen simply has never been able to have a natural conversation with people like that, she's clearly uncomfortable, whereas William, Kate and Harry look like they could do it all day.

I think most of us will remember just how bored and out of it HM looked during the opening of the London Olympic Games in 2012. She was probably dead tired as it was growing late.

I think every human on the planet sometimes loses interest, feels bored and sometimes just plain tired when they're supposed to be "on their game" so to speak. Many, many people fall asleep during sermons as a prime example.

For the most part, I do think that the royals give it their best shot when going about their duties and their engagements but there have got to be some times where there's tedious speeches, long lines of blurred faces with hands to shake and sometimes even a royal may not feel too swift. Its not that easy for them to "call in sick".

Personally I've always found William to be quite attentive to whatever it is he is doing and have not really ever noticed a sense of boredom. That's just me though.

Just to be clear, I adore the Queen. See my avatar for proof of that. But, if one pays close attention to the Queen's engagements, and even the DoE's, it's entirely obvious when they're not interested.

Take the Queen's visit to the Game of Thrones set in Belfast, for example. The Queen looked pretty absent for most of it. She was being shown the Iron Throne and you could tell she really wasn't all that bothered. It's not her thing, so I don't hold it against her. I had family members go and stand in the rain for several hours in NI on the same visit to see the Queen and they felt that she was more or less going through the motions too. She was going back home to London afterwards, so I'd say that played a part. They weren't unhappy with it but they just didn't feel any real connection to her that day.

Take a look at the faces of any member of the royal family as they watch some troop of young people perform a modern dance routine or the like, and you can almost see their eyes glaze over.

To suggest that all the royals bar William can feign interest in things they couldn't give a tuppenny-damn about is just not born out by what we see from them. It's not possible for people to always look super interested when they're just not.

Where William excels is when he's meeting the ordinary folk who have stood behind the barriers waiting to see him. The Queen simply has never been able to have a natural conversation with people like that, she's clearly uncomfortable, whereas William, Kate and Harry look like they could do it all day.

Now, I agree with you here. I kinda feel bad for The Queen & Prince Philip or Charles & Camilla when they have to sit through endless and very meaningless performances. They don't seem a bit interested in any of it. Although I think if the performances had some meaning behind it, it probably would grab the royals attention.

I wonder who thought it was a good ideal to send the Queen and Philip to the set of Game of Thrones. They probably had no clue of about the show. That engagement called out for William & Kate or Harry sort of like when the three of them did the Harry Potter Studio Tour event last year.

Very true! I'm a great admirer of the Queen, but I think her strength is her sense of duty and unyielding commitment to events and occasions she clearly has no genuine interest in. After many decades of endless amateur artwork and off key singing, as well as any number of other things that seem mind numbingly boring and/or awkward, I think QEII has earned the right to not even try to pretend anymore.

William and Kate, OTOH, either have a more genuine and open interest in people, or they're better actors. Either way, it's a skill that should serve them well in the years to come.

William and Kate, OTOH, either have a more genuine and open interest in people, or they're better actors. Either way, it's a skill that should serve them well in the years to come.

The difference is they haven't had to sit through it for SIXTY TWO years !

Now, I agree with you here. I kinda feel bad for The Queen & Prince Philip or Charles & Camilla when they have to sit through endless and very meaningless performances. They don't seem a bit interested in any of it. Although I think if the performances had some meaning behind it, it probably would grab the royals attention.

We are a bit off topic and probably need a "the future of royal visits" thread.
But - IMHO there are many appearances that count locally and lift the local spirits. There are also appearances and work behind the scenes that raise funds for charities on a national and global scale. I have heard many of you say that this cash generation is an important function upon which the royals assist. And I have never read a post that said the roayls should not have a global charity impact for important causes.

As someone who sees all this from outside, I do see a tension in what RF members think the work of the royals should be and how things are prioritized. And it is just my opinion, but I think The Queen, Charles and Wills/Kate/Harry have different opinions on the issue. I also think each generation understands and is OK with the various points of view.

Welcome to The Royal Forums, Lady Nimue! :flowers:

IMO Very sad. :sad:

Anyway, I think it's great that William is flying helicopters. I know there have always been protections put in place for heirs to the throne in such situations and I have no problem with that. None at all. I don't think that fact makes what he is doing any less, or him any less, nor should it. William is doing worthy work and being respectful of the conditions of his birth that require cautions. One cannot ask for more. I am even hoping he keeps this up for decades, even as King. :flowers:

IMO Very sad. :sad:

Anyway, I think it's great that William is flying helicopters. I know there have always been protections put in place for heirs to the throne in such situations and I have no problem with that. None at all. I don't think that fact makes what he is doing any less, or him any less, nor should it. William is doing worthy work and being respectful of the conditions of his birth that require cautions. One cannot ask for more. I am even hoping he keeps this up for decades, even as King. :flowers:

I could absolutely see Will flying helicopters at least until he is king, because I truly believe he hates royal duties.

I could absolutely see Will flying helicopters at least until he is king, because I truly believe he hates royal duties.

I really don't think he's dispassionate about doing royal duties and his charity work and he does have a vested interest in quite a few causes that are near and dear to his heart but I do think that flying and working for EAAA, to him, is a passion much like Charles' passion for gardening and organic farming and making things grow.

It takes a certain type of a person to work in a fire or rescue situation. It is anything but a walk in the park. Its stressful and demanding and things are seen that can't easily be forgotten. Of course, there is also the element of boys and their toys too. :D

I don't know if its still available online, but I would recommend watching Helicopter Rescue from BBC Wales. I believe it's the second season that covers RAF Anglesey with Ft Lt. Will Wales. What I took away from watching, was the William loved being part of a team and being treated as a one of the guys. But most importantly being able to help bring someone's loved one home to safety. You have to think that losing his mum due to an accident has something to do with why he wants to help other people from going thru the same heartbreak that he went thru.

When it was announced that Prince William would be joining the East Anglian Air Ambulance Service, the charity was quite rapidly shifted in to the spotlight, a shift that would see its web hits soar to more than ten times its usual website traffic.
On the day of the announcement itself, the EAAA website had 3,366 visitors, of which 86% were new visitors, who we can assume were intrigued by the charity after William’s announcement that he would be joining the team.
East Anglian Air Aimbulance web hits skyrocket after Prince Williams job announcement

There has been a lot of discussion about Catherine's roles and duties recently and this strayed into the same discussion about William. Usual debate over f/t vs p/time, etc etc.

I just found this quote in the book Monarchy, The Royal Family at Work, by Robert Hardman. I think it helps to make sense of William (and Harry's) approach to royal duty.

The Prince [of Wales] has always made it clear that his sons will not be shoved into royal duties against their will. Having had his own education and career mapped out by a committee involving everyone from the Archbishop of Canterbury to the Prime Minister, he remains determined that Princes William and Harry should follow their instincts and their own sense of duty rather than some dusty blueprint

END.

For me this says that just because its been done a particular way in the past, that it doesnt need to be done the same way now. Another theme in the book is about how the Monarchy needs to be relevant. What is said by senior members of the Royal Household is " ..the basic rule of Monarchy: just keep doing the same thing - differently".

Its not a recent book (2007) but I've found relevant to current Royal life.

Dickie Arbiter agrees with this approach as well. In his new book he said its good William and Harry have jobs outside the Firm.

Edit: Actually it was an interview he gave to the Express for publicity on his book

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom