Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of us were spoiled with all the media coverage of Diana and many would prefer to see William or Catherine more in the media spotlight that of Charles or Camilla.

But we are not the ones who makes the decisions as to when and where the Cambridges appear.

Furthermore, it was my understanding that Charles was not happy with the more entertainment type of media coverage of the Cambridges. He wanted more serious activities which is why he took over his sons' PR/media.

Charles and Diana, when they got married, were already the the next in line. It was entirely normal that they should be full-time working royals from the get-go. William and Catherine are in a different position. Not only are they not next in line, but they have 2 uncles and 2 aunts who are, among others, full time working royals. There is no shortage of royals available to cover the necessary workload.

From what I understand, Charles has always been in charge of his sons' PR/media. Clarence House has always dealt with that side of things for them, even when they moved their offices to St James's Palace. He funds their offices anyhow, so he has more than a little say in terms of how things work.

I suppose now that there's a unified press office for BP and CH, all the RF's press is co-ordinated in one place anyhow.

Camilla became Princess of Wales in 2005, that will make it 9 years.

Last year Camilla carried out more engagements that the Duke of Gloucester.

Thus far, this year Camilla has nearly 100 & William around 60.

William is expected to inherit the throne & should work for it.
William should be working more than the elderly and senior citizens of the family.

Camilla is nearly 67 vs William who will be 32 in 2 weeks.

Camilla working part time is acceptable for a 67 year old.

William doesn't even work part time only occasionally.

This is unacceptable for a young man.

I totally agree with you. As a 26 year old who works between 50-60 hours a week, I find it impossible to see William as a role model. He lacks work ethic since leaving Wales.

I totally agree with you. As a 26 year old who works between 50-60 hours a week, I find it impossible to see William as a role model. He lacks work ethic since leaving Wales.

It is my personal opinion that William is depressed. I don't think he is lazy or lacks a work ethic; I believe that his parents' troubles during his childhood combined with his mother's sudden tragic death when he was a teen, combined with his father's preoccupation with moving forward his second marriage has left William and Harry rather adrift emotionally during their formative years. There was no one who took the boys in hand and so they have kind of drifted along the royal punchlist for male royals but without anyone really looking out for their best interests. And so here they are, not quite sure of what they are supposed to be. :sad:

It is my personal opinion that William is depressed. I don't think he is lazy or lacks a work ethic; I believe that his parents' troubles during his childhood combined with his mother's sudden tragic death when he was a teen, combined with his father's preoccupation with moving forward his second marriage has left William and Harry rather adrift emotionally during their formative years. There was no one who took the boys in hand and so they have kind of drifted along the royal punchlist for male royals but without anyone really looking out for their best interests. And so here they are, not quite sure of what they are supposed to be. :sad:
:):)You have the best insight into William and Harry, depression can wreck havoc on a person's life and he has such a heavy responsibility just being born into that family let alone anyone looking out for him emotionally and mentally. He has a deep connection to his mother and I have seen pictures of him with his son and the look was so sad, like he was thinking of her at that moment(just assuming that). None of us are in his shoes and we have passed very harsh judgements on him for not working, I say, walk in his shoes(been told that my entire life when judging another) and see the pressure he is under, it's not all fun and games, servants, cars, palaces and money for him. He was born to this, so it's not his fault as we can't chose our parents.

If William and Catherine should be full-time royal, it will cost money.

What would you like him to do besides work 50/60 hours a week? Have an engagement every couple of hours so that all the people will be happy to see his mug in the media doing something? Then what we would complain about, he works to much...............good grief.

How do you come up with the 50-60 hours a week total? I think one would have to know William's every move to know exactly how much time he's put into "work". We have to remember also that there's a difference between employment and having a role. Work ethics in employment binds one to a strict schedule for the most part (9-5, 1 hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks) and actually doing the job to the satisfaction of the employer. Having a role in the British royal family is a bit different I think. There's no time cards, there's no day to day routine, the duties and engagements they do go on, they don't get paid for what they do as far as personal monetary gain (The Queen covers the expenses incurred for them) and they get the glorious privilege of living in the royal fishbowl where every sneeze is analyzed and picked apart.

I don't think William lacks work ethics at all. He is doing what The Boss wants him to do. No work ethics would be William's decision not to work for the Firm and take his family RV'ing for the next 3 years. :D

Miss Hathaway said:
It is my personal opinion that William is depressed. I don't think he is lazy or lacks a work ethic; I believe that his parents' troubles during his childhood combined with his mother's sudden tragic death when he was a teen, combined with his father's preoccupation with moving forward his second marriage has left William and Harry rather adrift emotionally during their formative years. There was no one who took the boys in hand and so they have kind of drifted along the royal punchlist for male royals but without anyone really looking out for their best interests. And so here they are, not quite sure of what they are supposed to be.

I think the opposite. I think both William and Harry are well adjusted young men that are comfortable in their own skins. Its been 17 years since they lost their mother just about and I think they've adjusted remarkably well with the loving support of their father and family. We have to remember with William. we see him through the eyes of photographers and media reports and both William and Harry are not overly fond of the media. Both of them really try to keep their private lives under the radar.

I do not think either William or Harry is depressed. Of course they miss their mother, but they have an equally close relationship with their father.

This is without foundation or proof. That says it all.

Exactly how will it cost money?

More dedicated royal work will mean more travel costs; possibly more staff; certainly admin costs would increase; separate visits would definitely increase costs.

At the present they are funded (along with Harry) by the PoW. There are no dedicated funds for them. This part of the longevity of HMQ because we are looking at work-age 3rd generation.

But it is a truth, universally acknowledged, that working royals are in search of funds. ;)

Clarence House has stated several times that Charles will not be able to cover the expenses of William, Catherine and Harry if they become full-time royal.

While I would like to see William doing more, I'd much prefer he take the time to decide his next step, in conjunction with his wife (and his father and grandmother), and know that it's the right move. Once he commits to full-time royal duties, that's gonna be it, until his dying day. If he wants another stint in the military, or some sort of government appointment (Andrew's old job as special representative for trade might be an option), he needs to do that now, while we have plenty of royals on the roster, not 10 years down the line.

I can totally understand his desire to perhaps continue in the military. Let's be honest, a lifetime of opening swimming pools and visiting sausage factories is probably not going to be terribly fulfilling to a man who spent several years piloting helicopters in dangerous conditions to save people whose lives were in danger.

All of this is done, I'm sure, with the full support for HM and the PoW. I have no doubt that if they thought William was slacking they'd let him know in no uncertain terms. Charles holds the pursestrings here, so he has a big part to play.

There is, at present, no shortage of working royals to assist HM in her role, so William has the luxury of taking the time to figure all this out.

While I would like to see William doing more, I'd much prefer he take the time to decide his next step, in conjunction with his wife (and his father and grandmother), and know that it's the right move. Once he commits to full-time royal duties, that's gonna be it, until his dying day. If he wants another stint in the military, or some sort of government appointment (Andrew's old job as special representative for trade might be an option), he needs to do that now, while we have plenty of royals on the roster, not 10 years down the line.

I can totally understand his desire to perhaps continue in the military. Let's be honest, a lifetime of opening swimming pools and visiting sausage factories is probably not going to be terribly fulfilling to a man who spent several years piloting helicopters in dangerous conditions to save people whose lives were in danger.

All of this is done, I'm sure, with the full support for HM and the PoW. I have no doubt that if they thought William was slacking they'd let him know in no uncertain terms. Charles holds the pursestrings here, so he has a big part to play.

There is, at present, no shortage of working royals to assist HM in her role, so William has the luxury of taking the time to figure all this out.
I totally agree with you.

I have to admit I was surprised when he resigned from the RAF, but that was obviously his choice. Since it is such a huge step, I am sure he has had a lot of time discussing it with his wife and the specifics of "where to from here" with both his father and his grandparents.

Recently someone on this forum equated royal engagements as the "tip of the iceberg" and what an iceberg it is. It's what lies beneath that counts as each and every engagement requires a good deal of background study as to;

a. What is the "cause"?

b. What do they do?

c. How do they do what they do?

d. Why do they do what the do?

e. Why am "I" involved.

f. What good do I do by being involved/a patron.

g. Why do they need my "voice" and is my 'voice' being heard in the matter?

And that is just for his personal causes. Tours like that of Australaisia involve study of where in each country he is visiting, why he is visiting that particular spot, is there a history that needs addressing . . . earthquakes, floods, bushfires, etc. and the dynamics and politics of each and every one.

It's like he is hitting the books to become a bona fide BRF Ambassador and is learning the politics behind his role and the role of the BRF and how it has to work in with the politics of which party is in power and their political stance on any official BRF engagements and more importantly of those patronages he represents.

Let's call it "Royalty 101" and guess it's going to take him more than a year to get a handle on any given subject. His father and grandmother have been around long enough to predict with reasonable accuracy how a change of government will impact the BRF which just leaves getting to know the new key players better.

William is starting from scratch and he has everything but the book bag and university digs signifying he's going for his PHD in Political Science, Philosphy and the Humanities. He will probably see any of the few engagements as a welcome diversion from study.

I am 100% behind your comment:), for an intelligent young man his future is set in stone, so opening all those places and shaking all those hands is not going to be the most full filling of jobs, even though he will do it with a smile and be sincere about it, there will be times when he wants to do more out of life and can't. What a gilded cage he is in.......not a great place to be for all the crowns in the world.

Clarence House has stated several times that Charles will not be able to cover the expenses of William, Catherine and Harry if they become full-time royal.

When have they stated as such?

Can you provide a link to this being stated even once?

I have only been followers the royals, and Charles in particular, for around 40 years so may have missed it but I also don't think it makes sense anyway.

Charles has a before tax income of around 19 million to support potentially 5 working royals while the Queen is only paid 36 million to support the rest of the family AND pay for transport and the maintenance of the occupied royal houses - including the maintenance of Charles', William and Harry's homes. If she can support 10 and the houses on 36 there is no reason why Charles can't support 5 on more than half that amount.

None of that comes from Clarence House saying Prince Charles can't support his two sons and daughter in law. That's two articles about an increase in income for the duchy of Cornwall.

But the heir to the throne may struggle to foot the growing bill if Prince William, Kate, and Prince Harry end up taking on much more royal work as the Queen and Prince Philip slow down.
Charles's principal private secretary William Nye conceded that his boss would have to look carefully at how much he could continue to fund the activities of the three younger royals in addition to his and Camilla's duties if the balance of work changed.
That may come to a head if William decides in September to quit his job as an RAF search and rescue helicopter pilot and become a fulltime working royal. "Whatever the Duke of Cambridge's plans, the Prince of Wales would have to look carefully at how he continues to fund the official activities of the staff and support for the five senior members of the Royal Family whom he is paying for," said Mr Nye.

Money is scarce and either Charles will have to cut back or W&K don't go full-time

What would you like him to do besides work 50/60 hours a week? Have an engagement every couple of hours so that all the people will be happy to see his mug in the media doing something? Then what we would complain about, he works to much...............good grief.

Royal Blue said that she works 50-60 hours each week not that Prince William should do the same. I think the point was looking to William as a role model. It wasn't a criticism just a fact.

William used to work as a RAF pilot, who works long hours. I don't see what so bad or lazy about that

Royal Blue said that she works 50-60 hours each week not that Prince William should do the same. I think the point was looking to William as a role model. It wasn't a criticism just a fact.

Thanks for pointing that out. I misread that statement myself. I do think there is a big difference though looking at Royal Blue's work hours and William's. For one, I would wager my last root beer that Royal Blue is working to make a living. William would be a poor choice as a role model as his role in life is quite a bit different than being employed to make a living and support his wife and family.

Although I'm hoping official royal duties will be the Cambridge's main focus, if he goes into a job like this or any other job, I hope there will be a better balance to their official royal duties than before.

I don't see how he could do the air ambulance pilot full time doing 5 days and 3 days off and still do a lot of royal duties. If he wanted to fly and keep a low profile, why didn't he stay in the RAF until SAR is privatized in a couple of years.

This transition year has had a lot of royal duties if you compare to when he was a pilot. There was a long tour and talk of another tour in the fall. With the 100 yrs anniversary of WWI, there are going to be a lot of stuff involving royals attending those events which the younger royals are perfect for attending. William has already talked of going to Gallipoli next yr. I don't think he can run off to Norfolk and hide until the Queen dies.

He couldn't stay in SAR because they really couldn't stay in Wales- they needed to be closer to their offices and staff.

This seems like it might be a good compromise to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom