Duke of Cambridge: Official Visit to Israel, Jordan and the OPT - Summer 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But that looks like a room a young man would decorate himself (unfortunately in this case).

William seems to have made a real connection with the Crown Prince, much more so than he did with the young Swedish/Norwegian/Danish royals when he met them. In my opinion, this is the kind of royal-to-royal relationship that actually has relevance given the role the Crown Prince will likely play in policy making in his country. Whether William is friends with Victoria of Sweden affects nothing and no one.

Whether William has any connection is irrelevant as he will have no power over British policy in the future. The monarch of the UK does what they are told by the government not the other way round.

Pics from day 2. Prince William visits the Jeresh Archaelogical site in Jordan with Crown Prince Hussein of Jordan during his historic visit to the Middle East

Shutterstock

Prince William met Syrian refugee mothers and children in Jerash, Jordan, today who are benefiting from @UNICEFJordan's #Makani programme, which offers psychological support, life skills training and alternative education for them. #RoyalVisitJordan

Video via UNICEF Jordan Twitter

Video

The Duke of Cambridge arrives at Al Quds College in Amman. Saying hello to students. #royaltourjordan

Via Royal Reporter Twitter

Video

Video 2

Prince William meets Syrian refugees at Jordan's Jerash site

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke of Cambridge has arrived in Israel, making history as the first member of the British royal family to make an official visit to the country #royalvisitisrael

The Duke will spend the next three days in Israel visiting Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and the Occupied Palestinian Territories #princewilliam #royalvisitisrael #dukeofcambridge

Via Roya Nikkhah Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dgi-c6pX0AIC_X8.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dgi-7TNX0AA1Fxm.jpg

Israeli TV is treating this arrival as if it were Sadat’s

Via Noga Tarnopolsky Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dgi_geJW4AAqgxK.jpg

It’s big news in Israel

Prince William arrives in Israel

I was pretty awe struck by Jerash from the photos I can just imagine how the Duke felt being there in person!

The Duke of Cambridge has arrived in Israel, making history as the first member of the British royal family to make an official visit to the country #royalvisitisrael

The Duke will spend the next three days in Israel visiting Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and the Occupied Palestinian Territories #princewilliam #royalvisitisrael #dukeofcambridge

Via Roya Nikkhah Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dgi-c6pX0AIC_X8.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dgi-7TNX0AA1Fxm.jpg

I now work for the same hotel chain that owns the King David (the hotel which Prince William will stay in) but in one of their Tel aviv hotels. as I read through an article explaining what the duke itinerary is going to be for his stay, I was suddenly very happy to have this Tuesday and Wednesday off from work, as I live in a bordering city to Jaffa, traffic into Tel-Aviv and Jaffa is probably going to be even worse than usual during the next two days. I think i’ll stay at home and do some house cleaning.

Last edited:
Whether William has any connection is irrelevant as he will have no power over British policy in the future. The monarch of the UK does what they are told by the government not the other way round.

Do you think this is news to me? I know William will have no formal power, which is why those visits to other European royals are so pointless, despite the distant familial connections.

If William can build a relationship with a royal who will actually, as things stand, wield actual executive power in a region where the UK has significant interests, then that potentially has a real tangible benefit to the British people. Not some airy-fairly, imagined benefit whereby William learns "how to be a royal" from some Scandinavian prince the British people have never heard of.

If the taxpayer is expected to cover the cost of these trips, then at a minimum have them be trips with at least the potential for some positive outcome.

I now work for the same hotel chain that owns the King David (the hotel which Prince William will stay in) but in one of their Tel aviv hotels. as I read through an article explaining what the duke itinerary is going to be for his stay, I was suddenly very happy to have this Tuesday and Wednesday off from work, as I live in a bordering city to Jaffa, traffic into Tel-Aviv and Jaffa is probably going to be even worse than usual during the next two days. I think i’ll stay at home and do some house cleaning.

It’s not often that we have royalty in Israel because we’re not a monarchy, and the visit is very historic as you know, so we’re all very excited.

He’s so well-liked, it’s unbelievable. He’s staying here for three nights, which is quite a long time, and we feel very honoured that the whole time he’s in the region he’s staying with us.

The media attention has been huge, just like when Trump came in May, but for the Prince we haven’t needed to bring in extra staff because it’s a different operation – the Prince’s delegation is taking only around 50 rooms, whereas Trump’s took 1,100 rooms, with all 230 rooms at the King David plus rooms in another 19 hotels.

We’re all very excited.

We have had a lot of experience hosting important people – such as Presidents Bush, Obama and Putin, Angela Merkel, Tony Blair, King Hussein, and of course Prince Charles who stayed twice, but this is definitely up there, it’s definitely unique. I mean, who doesn’t know Prince William?

Read more: Meet the man who'll welcome Prince William to Israel with tea and scones! | Jewish News

But that looks like a room a young man would decorate himself (unfortunately in this case).

William seems to have made a real connection with the Crown Prince, much more so than he did with the young Swedish/Norwegian/Danish royals when he met them. In my opinion, this is the kind of royal-to-royal relationship that actually has relevance given the role the Crown Prince will likely play in policy making in his country. Whether William is friends with Victoria of Sweden affects nothing and no one.

And by the same reasoning that William is friends with the Crown Prince of Jordan will affect nothing and no one as he has just as much relevance on government policy as Victoria, if indeed not less as the 2nd in line not the direct heir.

Welcome to #TelAviv Royal Highness Prince William! Union Jack takes over Tel Aviv City Hall to celebrate HRH Prince William’s arrival in Israel! #RoyalVisitIsrael @KensingtonRoyal @RoyalFamily

Pic

Via Michael Dickson Twitter

Last edited:
Completely different contexts. The Norwegian and the Danish younger royals are much older than William (with teenage kids), I would be surprised if there was a real connection.

The age difference between William and Frederik is 14 years , it's 12 years between William and Hussein .

And by the same reasoning that William is friends with the Crown Prince of Jordan will affect nothing and no one as he has just as much relevance on government policy as Victoria, if indeed not less as the 2nd in line not the direct heir.

I will point you to my most recent post wherein I acknowledge that, having been born and lived in the UK for my entire life, I am aware of the extent of William's (and the Royals' as a whole) influence on decision making within the UK government. You miss my point.

The point here is not William's power over decision making in the UK, it is the Crown Prince's power over the future decisions of his country. William's ability to build a relationship with a decision maker is relevant to the British government and people; Victoria of Sweden is not a decision maker. William's relationship with her, or the evident lack thereof, is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Do you think this is news to me? I know William will have no formal power, which is why those visits to other European royals are so pointless, despite the distant familial connections.

If William can build a relationship with a royal who will actually, as things stand, wield actual executive power in a region where the UK has significant interests, then that potentially has a real tangible benefit to the British people. Not some airy-fairly, imagined benefit whereby William learns "how to be a royal" from some Scandinavian prince the British people have never heard of.

If the taxpayer is expected to cover the cost of these trips, then at a minimum have them be trips with at least the potential for some positive outcome.

All these trips have some benefit or the government wouldn't bother sending the royals on them. The government has to benefit not the royal - the royals are window-dressing and nothing more.

What is the point of developing a relationship with William when he will have no power? It is no different to developing a relationship between two people with no power. If one has no say in policy then it is pointless even if the other has a lot of power.

The point here is not William's power over decision making in the UK, it is the Crown Prince's power over the future decisions of his country. William's ability to build a relationship with a decision maker is relevant to the British government and people; Victoria of Sweden is not a decision maker. William's relationship with her, or the evident lack thereof, is irrelevant.

What you state makes sense, PetticoatLane, and I've always enjoyed your posts and depths of knowledge.

What strikes me the most about this trip that William is taking right now has a five letter word attached to it that I think makes it a totally unique and meaningful endeavor. William is visiting an area of our world that has been a hot bed of tension and discord for centuries and its political struggles and conflicts fill the history books and continue to this day. Now we have a British heir to the throne making his rounds to the area and its *big* news. He is being greeted warmly at all stages of his visit and that five letter word comes to my mind with each report I read on this trip.

That five letter word? PEACE.

I wonder if he will go see his great grandmother's grave while there? Charles did when he was there in 2016.

LaRae

It is on his itinerary as the last thing he will be doing.

William is doing a great job he has really stepped up. Kate will be glad when he is home safe

Court Circular 24th June:
The Duke of Cambridge this morning departed from Royal Air Force Brize Norton for Jordan and was received this afternoon upon arrival at Amman Marka International Airport, Amman, by The Crown Prince of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.

His Royal Highness and The Crown Prince later visited The Crown Prince Foundation's FabLab, The King Hussein Business Park, Amman, Dabouq.

The Duke of Cambridge this evening attended The Queen's Birthday Party Reception given by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (His Excellency Mr. Edward Oakden) at the Residence.

Sir David Manning, Mr. Miguel Head and Mr. Jason Knauf are in attendance.

Court Circular 25th June:
The Duke of Cambridge today carried out the following engagements in Jordan.

The Duke of Cambridge, accompanied by The Crown Prince of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, this morning toured the Archaeological Site of Jerash, Jerash Governorate, and met local Jordanian and refugee children from the Makani Centre.

His Royal Highness, accompanied by The Crown Prince, subsequently visited 81st Battalion Jordan*Armed Forces Arab Army (Quick Reaction Force), Bani Obeid District, Irbid Governorate.

The Duke of Cambridge later visited the Princess Taghrid Institute’s Dar Na’mah Centre, Kufranjah, Ajloun Governorate.

His Royal Highness this afternoon visited the audio, film and animation production studios at Luminus Technical University College, Airport Street, Marj Al Hamam Bridge, Amman, and opened the new hospitality wing.

The Duke of Cambridge afterwards viewed the Jordanian Air Ambulance and Royal Jordanian Air Force Medical Evacuation and Recovery aircraft at Marka Airport, Amman Civil Airport, Amman.

His Royal Highness subsequently departed from Marka Airport for Israel and was received upon arrival this evening at Ben Gurion International Airport by Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the State of Israel (His Excellency Mr David Quarrey).

What you state makes sense, PetticoatLane, and I've always enjoyed your posts and depths of knowledge.

What strikes me the most about this trip that William is taking right now has a five letter word attached to it that I think makes it a totally unique and meaningful endeavor. William is visiting an area of our world that has been a hot bed of tension and discord for centuries and its political struggles and conflicts fill the history books and continue to this day. Now we have a British heir to the throne making his rounds to the area and its *big* news. He is being greeted warmly at all stages of his visit and that five letter word comes to my mind with each report I read on this trip.

That five letter word? PEACE.

No offense to Britain and the royal family and the state side importance of this visit; as someone who grew up in the region and who has suffered through the hot bed mess of the conflict... this mess? Owes a lot of it’s issues to the British empire mandate days over the area (and in recent history the USA) and it’s meddling. The UK government view point and the wording the palace has used regarding this visit has caused more tension between both nations.
No side is perfect, but in this specific conflict the UK is like the parent who always pitted her two kids against each other, making them fight one another for her attention, when they were growing up and now doesn’t understand why as adults they don’t get along and fight and compete over everything. And now that the kids are adults mommy is trying to make peace.
It be funny if my family and me weren’t affected by it.

(Okay maybe not the most accurate analogy but close enough!)

I’ve always wondered if perhaps us and the Palestinians would be able to find peace and a middle ground if countries like the US and UK stayed out.

Prince William has made a deeply moving visit to Jerusalem's holocaust museum on his first full day of engagements in Israel.

The prince, the first British royal to undertake an official tour to the Jewish state in its 70 year history, was at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial and Museum where met an 80-year-old who was saved from the gas chambers through the Kindertransport, and participated in a wreath-laying ceremony in the Hall of Remembrance.

Yad Vashem, whose Hebrew name literally means a monument and a name, is dedicated to preserving the memory of the six million Jews murdered by the Nazis and of the many Gentiles who aided them.

Read more: Prince William visits Jerusalem Holocaust Memorial | Daily Mail Online

Historic moment in Jerusalem as Israeli President Reuven Rivlin has asked Prince William to deliver “a message of peace” to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas when the Duke of Cambridge meets him later this week #princewilliam #RoyalVisitIsrael

Pic

Via Russell Myers Twitter

Prince William meets Israel Prime Minister Netanyahu

Israel gives Prince William ‘message of peace’ for Palestine

Today William met with the descendants of the Cohen family. William's paternal great-grandmother Princess Alice hid three members of the family during WWII. Earning her the honor of being named one of the Righteous Among Nations.

Prince William’s emotional visit to Yad Vashem taught him “more than I thought I knew” – Royal Central

The memorial has recognised the Duke of Cambridge’s great-grandmother, Princess Alice, as part of the Righteous Among the Nations for her role in rescuing Jews during the Holocaust. Yad Vashem said Princess Alice “hid three members of the Cohen family – Rachel, Tilda and Michelle – in her palace in Athens during the Nazi occupation of Greece.”
Thanks to Princess Alice, the family survived and today lives in France. The Princess died in 1969, and in 1988, her remains were brought to Jerusalem. Back in 1994, the Duke of Edinburgh planted a tree at Yad Vashem in honour of his mother.
After his visit, the Duke of Cambridge met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife, Sara. During the meeting, the Duke got to meet the descendants of the family Princess Alice saved.

Today William met with the descendants of the Cohen family. William's paternal great-grandmother Princess Alice hid three members of the family during WWII. Earning her the honor of being named one of the Righteous Among Nations.

Previously I only knew a little about Princess Alice and I had not heard about her sheltering 3 members of the Cohen family during the war. It must have been very moving for Prince William to met these descendants.

Court Circular 26th June:
The Duke of Cambridge today carried out the following engagements in Israel.

His Royal Highness this morning visited Yad Vashem — the World Holocaust Remembrance Centre, Jerusalem, and laid a wreath.

The Duke of Cambridge today called upon His Excellency Benjamin Netanyahu (Prime Minister of the State of Israel) at The President’s Residence, Beit HaNassi, 3 HaNasi Street, Jerusalem.

His Royal Highness this afternoon called upon The President of the State of Israel at Beit Agion, 9 Smolanskin Street on the corner of Balfour Street, Jerusalem.

The Duke of Cambridge later attended a Community Football Event at Neve Golan, 14 HaBaashat Boulevard, Jaffa.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited Frishman Beach, Tel Aviv-Jaffa.

The Duke of Cambridge subsequently viewed Israeli Technology demonstrations at the Residence in Ramat Gan.

His Royal Highness this evening attended a Garden Reception given by Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the State of Israel (His Excellency Mr David Quarrey) at the Residence.

The Duke of Cambridge will meet Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas a day after Israel's president urged him to take a 'message of peace' to the Arab leader.

William will sit down for talks with Mr Abbas in Ramallah, becoming the first member of the royal family to visit the Palestinian Occupied Territories at the request of the Government.

After meeting Israel's prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the country's president Reuven Rivlin yesterday, William will have the opportunity to get to know the Palestinian leader during discussions in his offices.

President Rivlin asked William to encourage the Palestinian Authority President to take the 'first step' with Israel to end the 'tragedy' between them, which has existed for more than a century.
Read more: Prince William prepares to head into Palestine | Daily Mail Online

Pics from today’s engagement in Israel

Gettyimages

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom