Duke of Cambridge: Official Visit to Israel, Jordan and the OPT - Summer 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eya

Imperial Majesty
City
-
Country
Greece
Last edited:
This is huge news! A first for a member of the BRF. It should probably have its own thread.

Very interesting.

LaRae

Amazing. I hope it brings all good things

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Israel, Jordan and the Occupied Palestinian Territories in the Summer.

The visit is at the request of Her Majesty's Government and has been welcomed by the Israeli, Jordanian and Palestinian authorities.

Prince William will visit Israel, Jordan and Palestine | Daily Mail Online

Very good to see William up the ante as far the visits he is undertaking. This will be a sensitive trip.

We welcome the announcement of Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge's visit to Israel. This is an historic visit, the first of its kind and he will be welcomed here with great affection. I instructed the @IsraelMFA to coordinate preparations for the visit to ensure its success.

Via PM of Israel Twitter

Nechama & I were happy to hear @KensingtonRoyal announcement, and look forward to welcoming #PrinceWilliam, the Duke of Cambridge, on an official visit to the State of #Israel later this year. A very special guest, and a very special present for our 70th year of independence.

Via Israeli President Reuven Rivlin Twitter

This is good news. And is indeed showing more how the monarchy is changing. This will be an important trip for the BRF and especially for William.

This is good news. And is indeed showing more how the monarchy is changing. This will be an important trip for the BRF and especially for William.

I agree. I'm looking forward to this visit, it should be interesting.
On a side note I visited Israel and Bethlehem in October and had an amazing time, and want to go back already. I'm sure William will enjoy the leisure side of the visit.

Now it's making more sense with Prince Harry taking on an important role in the Commonwealth because W&K as future King and Queen can make these types of visits.

It would appear that the British Monarchy is really transitioning with the younger royals taking on very prominent roles.

It’s a first time visit by a British royal and the Foreign Office taps The Duke of Cambridge to go.

Clearly the government has the confidence and respect for William to be assigned such a high profile diplomatic mission

Hmm, William isn't someone who I would pick for this trip, but ok! Should be an interesting trip.

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance, but does the UK have a military presence there via the UN? I think that's the only way that would happen?

I envy the Duke - a wonderful place to visit. But I am glad I am not responsible for security.

Sorry for my ignorance, but does the UK have a military presence there via the UN? I think that's the only way that would happen?

I envy the Duke - a wonderful place to visit. But I am glad I am not responsible for security.

No, the UK doesn't have any UN peace keeping troops in the region. The UK while a member of the security counsel, actually has a relatively small number of troops in peacekeeping (mainly in Gibralter). There is an UK military presence in other areas of the Middle East like Bahrain but not in Israel/Palestine.There are commonwealth troops there: Canada, Australia and NZ are all involved in the peacekeeping mission in the Middle East.

It is a big step for any senior royal to visit Palestine. :flowers:

Small correction-this is the first Tour of the region for any senior royal. It certainly isn't the first visit to Israel (Palestine yes).

-Philip attended the ceremony when his mother was honored as a righteous among nations in the 1990's (well may be considered private but still)
-Charles has been to two funerals there, that of Rabin in 1995 and most recently of Shimon Peres in 2016 (talk of it being canceled but he went). He visited his grandmother's grave after the Peres funeral

https://www.timesofisrael.com/prince-charles-secretly-visited-grandmothers-grave-while-in-jerusalem/

I agree, a surprising choice for such a visit since it would usually go to a more junior member of the BRF like one of the Queen’s cousins which would be far more appropriate than him. It’s all in pretty poor taste since the Israeli’s are starting to milk it politically connecting the visit. to one its many many Calendar day anniversaries of the occupation. And then it appears to appease Trump policies on Our Holy City.

Hmm, William isn't someone who I would pick for this trip, but ok! Should be an interesting trip.

I was also surprised that William was picked for this mission. A British royal visiting Israel and Palestine is already unusual in itself. Has the PoW made any comments in the past that would make him unwelcome in Israel ? I am just curious.

Interesting to see how some suggest a more junior member and others suggest a more senior member should have been chosen; William seems a great compromise :flowers:

Interesting to see how some suggest a more junior member and others suggest a more senior member should have been chosen; William seems a great compromise :flowers:

In my view, that is a high profile diplomatic mission in a sensitive region, so there is no doubt a senior royal should have been picked. A quick Google search, however, shows reasons why Prince Charles might not be the best choice for this trip.

If you are not sending the Prince of Wales then his heir seems to be the next most senior Royal. William's trip to China was fine, no reason to think he can't handle this.

If you are not sending the Prince of Wales then his heir seems to be the next most senior Royal. William's trip to China was fine, no reason to think he can't handle this.

William has taken several high profile diplomatic assignments in recent years (China, France, Germany, now Israel), which is actually quite surprising considering he is not the heir yet. Good for him and for the UK as he seems to generate positive reactions in all the official visits he and his wife make.

The Duke of Cambridge is taking this on, i’m sure, with all the support and confidence of his family. He will represent his country proudly and I wish him every success.

I agree MissJersey. He's visiting at the request of the Foreign Office and gaining valuable experience in his future role as Head of State. His grandmother and his father both had the opportunity to undertake similar official visits. Other monarchs and heirs-to-the-throne have traveled there as well ie: Felipe. William's been to various Commonwealth nations, the US, China, and now has the chance to meet with the leaders in three other nations. He's going to have the experience of meeting with King Abdullah who has been involved attempting to bring peace to this historic region and to hear from him about his own experiences.

I wonder if he will go see his great grandmother's grave while there? Charles did when he was there in 2016.

LaRae

I would hope that he'd take the opportunity to visit Princess Alice's grave on behalf of his family.?

I would hope that he'd take the opportunity to visit Princess Alice's grave on behalf of his family.?

That would be nice. I would think that visiting her grave would be on the itinerary or if not, I at least hope William will make a private visit.

The attitude is entirely unneeded.

Perhaps not the best place for you to reflect on your attitude. ?

Slightly less facetiously, what attitude might you be referring to?

In my view, that is a high profile diplomatic mission in a sensitive region, so there is no doubt a senior royal should have been picked. A quick Google search, however, shows reasons why Prince Charles might not be the best choice for this trip.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with what the PoW said in private correspondence over 30 years ago.

That said, I also don't think that was the impediment to the PoW making the trip. I suspect the idea was for Prince William to make the trip to pave the way for a subsequent trip by C&C sometime in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
KENSINGTON PALACE

THE DUKE OF CAMBRIDGE WILL VISIT JORDAN, ISRAEL, AND THE OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES

As previously announced, His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge will visit Jordan, Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories this summer. The visit is at the request of Her Majesty's Government and has been welcomed by the Jordanian, Israeli, and Palestinian authorities.

The dates and cities for the visit are as follows:

Sunday 24th June: Amman
Monday 25th June: Amman and Jerash, arrival in Tel Aviv
Tuesday 26th June: Jerusalem and Tel Aviv
Wednesday 27th June: Tel Aviv, Ramallah, Jerusalem
Thursday 28th June: Jerusalem

Full details of His Royal Highness's programme will be announced in due course.

Via Majesty Magazine

I think that’s marvelous Rudolph. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom