Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA - December 7-9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't have seen much of them if you watched the game. The ESPN shows bits of it live during a NBA coast to coast show where they shows bits of different games. Will and Kate were on the same side of the cameras so you could only pick them out by looking for Will's bald head. Twitter had better pictures of what they were doing during the game.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This First Lady of New York is a new thing. There has never been an official title or role for the wife of a mayor before as I can remember, kind of weird imo

She goes by a different last name than her husband the mayor so maybe they added the First Lady of NY so people would know who she is.

This First Lady of New York is a new thing. There has never been an official title or role for the wife of a mayor before as I can remember, kind of weird imo

It's not a new thing. I remember the title being used while Rudy Giuliani was mayor. His then-wife was often referred to as the First Lady of NY.

Last edited:

Is this something she and her spouse have adopted or is it like with Catherine and the press just goes with whatever title/combination of name & title that strikes their fancy?
I saw one article today that identified Catherine as "Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge" which made me chuckle as that would be what she was called if she was divorced. Seriously though, these writers presumably graduated from college and should have learned how to take 2 seconds to fact check/research a simple thing like how to correctly identify someone - it's not rocket science.

I'm not sure how the title came about, but it has been used for years. There were articles calling Mayor Bloomberg's girlfriend the first lady of NY, and Donna Hanover (Rudy Giuliani's ex-wife), used the label when sending out invitations for some events she used to host.

Last edited:
"Special relationship between the UK and the USA" ... well .. it is about nothing. You, on the other hand, have a right to see it as something special.
Why say something so negative about something that some people are trying to something good about? If you don't like W/C then don't read the article and post a commnet....just saying.

The trip is about nothing. [/FONT]

The vast majority of trips by European royals to the US are essentially about nothing. They turn up, make no blip on anyone's radar, no-one pays any attention, they make a speech to some UN-affiliated body no-one outside that bubble's ever heard of, do a bit of shopping and go home. Benefit to anyone really? Negligible.

At least William, Kate and Harry know that it's different for them - where they go people pay attention. Not everyone, of course, but enough to make a trip in aid of bringing attention to some good causes worthwhile.

I am enjoying the pics and info of this trip. Wills is looking very confident these days! It is good to see him come into his own and start to embrace his place within the BRF ? On the other hand I am trying to understand why Kate is along on this trip? She is pregnant and has a child at home. I don't really see that she has contributed much to this trip except for the 'bump watch' factor/excitement she has that deer-in-the-headlights look about her. IMO she should have stayed home ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

British Royals @britishroyals · 3h 3 hours ago
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge will begin their final day of #RoyalVisitUSA by visiting the 9/11 Memorial. They fly home in the evening.

I am enjoying the pics and info of this trip. Wills is looking very confident these days! It is good to see him come into his own and start to embrace his place within the BRF On the other hand I am trying to understand why Kate is along on this trip? She is pregnant and has a child at home. I don't really see that she has contributed much to this trip except for the 'bump watch' factor/excitement she has that deer-in-the-headlights look about her. IMO she should have stayed home

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Her Royal Highness is on this trip to help raise money on behalf their charitable royal foundation of which she's royal patron. They've raised a great deal of money already.

Last edited:
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA; December 7-9, 2014

Kate is a patron of the Royal Foundation too just like William and Harry. That who they were fundraising for on Sunday. Yesterday's events were part of a collaboration with the Clinton Foundation/RF and RF/NBA. Kate is also a graduate of St. Andrews so she be at tonight's dinner.

Kate's pregnancy isn't a problem and given that she went to the Clinton event when she wasn't scheduled means she is feeling pretty good. George is back in Buckleberry hanging out with Lupo and being watched by his grandparents and Nanny Maria. He probably hasn't even noticed his parents are gone for 3 days. Kate couldn't go to Malta or on the China/Japan trip so she wanted to go on this one and without her William alone would not get this much publicity.

Just imagine if they really don't like B-Ball...having to endure sitting thru a whole game and pretend to enjoy it...ugh. The life of a Royal....

LaRae

Just imagine if they really don't like B-Ball...having to endure sitting thru a whole game and pretend to enjoy it...ugh. The life of a Royal....

LaRae

No problem, just let your mind wander and daydream.
That's what I do when I have to attend an event that bores me.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA; December 7-9, 2014

Kate is probably use to it since William is an Aston Villa fan and probably makes her sit thru all their games on the TV ?

Back when they started the shuttle, many believed it would fail. How many people would pay $150 -200 for the flight? Trains at the time did not always sell out. How many people, really commuted between the two cities? Well, as the photo shows, they will line up like sardines in the can to take that shuttle. :lol:
As for the game photos, obviously there was a lot of grins and giggles. The DM photos capture it perfectly: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-courtside-Brooklyn-Nets-basketball-game.html
If you notice, the Cambridge staff was seated behind W and C. For some reason, the guys were non plussed, but if you look closely, Rebecca is amused!
The pics of LeBron and Sabathia looking at cell phone photos is priceless.
And, OK, I am gonna say it. In the hair sweepstakes, Queen Bey has quite a rep, but that Middleton Mane took top honors, while JayZ may keep it short, but beats the prince handily.

Last edited:
Gosh it might have been embarassing to have cameras on their faces and everyone watching you... Especially Kate, looks very unconfortable...

David Wilkinson @DWilkinsonCNN · 1h 1 hour ago
Princess Eugenie also attending @univofstandrews dinner w/ William & Kate at @MetMuseum today w/ @SethMeyers & @Reneesmusings #RoyalVisitUSA

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 2h 2 hours ago
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge visit the National September 11 Memorial and museum today #RoyalVisitUSA

Mark Stewart @RegalEyes · 7m 7 minutes ago
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will shortly pay their respects at the 9/11 National Memorial in New York.

Last edited by a moderator:
A somber Prince William and Kate pay tribute to victims at the 9/11 Memorial in New York City as they brave the gloomy weather | Daily Mail Online
The Duchess of Cambridge provided a splash of color as she and Prince William visited the rainswept 9/11 Memorial in Manhattan Tuesday morning.

Dressed in a shocking pink Mulberry coat, pregnant Kate and her husband braved pouring rain and sub zero temperatures to make the emotional pilgrimage.

The two shielded themselves from the rain with umbrellas from their hotel, The Carlyle.

The royal couple took a moment to lay red roses at the Memorial as well, the flowers which are a symbol of New York City.

The 9/11 Memorial is located at the site of the former World Trade Center complex, occupying half of the 16-acre site.

It features two enormous waterfalls and reflecting pools, each about an acre in size, set within the footprints of the original Twin Towers.
More than 400 trees surround the reflecting pools.

Its design conveys a spirit of hope and renewal out of enormous tragedy and creates a contemplative space separate from the usual sights and sounds of the bustling city.

William and Kate make emotional visit to 9/11 memorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAapKtSZ6kc

William & Kate's signatures from the interactive steel beam at the 9/11 Museum

https://twitter.com/britishroyals/status/542364186970300417

Last edited by a moderator:
The American Media is finally catching on. I have not heard ABC, NBC or CBS refer to Catherine as Kate Middleton or Princess Kate. They are finally say Duchess of Cambridge

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have attended a reception co-hosted by former US secretary of state Hilary Clinton and her daughter Chelsea from the Clinton Foundation and William on behalf of his Royal Foundation. The event was held in aid of the wildlife conservation charity Tusk Trust, of which William is patron, and the organisations who are partners in United for Wildlife, while the Clinton Foundation is working with other groups to tackle wildlife trafficking-

Home - ITNSource News

As for the game photos, obviously there was a lot of grins and giggles. The DM photos capture it perfectly: Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William meet Beyoncé and Jay Z | Daily Mail Online
If you notice, the Cambridge staff was seated behind W and C. For some reason, the guys were non plussed, but if you look closely, Rebecca is amused!
The pics of LeBron and Sabathia looking at cell phone photos is priceless.
And, OK, I am gonna say it. In the hair sweepstakes, Queen Bey has quite a rep, but that Middleton Mane took top honors, while JayZ may keep it short, but beats the prince handily.

Cameras don't lie. Looking through all the pictures of the article that you've posted, to me, it seems as if both William and Kate are really enjoying the places they're going and the people they're meeting with. Whether it be high ranking government officials or celebrated people or the children in Harlem or whomever, they have a genuine interaction with them that, to me, shows they're there because they want to be and not because they have to be. They both have a natural flair for allowing themselves to enjoy the moment they are in regardless if its something they hold a personal interest in or doing something they would probably not have on their top 10 list of things they want to do.

As far as the protection officers and staff with them, I don't think they're bored or non plussed or anything other than remaining focused on what they're there to do. In a crowd that size, their charges are thier first and foremost concern. They probably would act much differently if they attended the same event on their own personal time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom