Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a bit of drizzle now at the Porirua Police College where things are about to get underway pic.twitter.com/cKilQFDdqU

Live Coverage Is Now On-
http://www.livestation.com/reuters?source=redirect

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1m
The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing a skirt suit by New Zealand designer Rebecca Taylor in Wellington today.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 42s
Over here in Australia, support for a republic has slumped to its lowest level for more than three decades ahead of the royal visit.

Last edited:
...I tripped in my home early Sunday morning and smashed up the bones in my arm...
A speedy recovery to the TRF Down Under Royal Correspondent!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reuters carrying on splendidly with their live coverage of every floor trodden on by the Duke and Duchess whilst in New Zealand...

I'm looking forward to in depth coverage of Australian flooring in the next few days ! No doubt it will be riveting...

Last edited:
yep they're getting the floor and feet again!

I am NOT impressed with the live coverage...

Last edited:
Well, at least the floors are clean.

The scene at Civic Square-
Hundreds of Wellingtonians have risked a right royal drenching to catch a glimpse of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge during the final walkabout of their New Zealand visit.

Rain has seemingly followed the royal couple on every walkabout of their tour, and today's event at Wellington's Civic Square looks set to be no exception. Steady rain has been pouring in the capital all morning and was only just starting to ease with 40 minutes to go.

The couple are not due to arrive at the square until 11.25am, but already hundreds of hardy royal-watchers have gathered to catch a glimpse. Among them were a group of Samuel Marsden Collegiate students who had been waiting in the dark since 6am with a tarpaulin.

The girls - Annabel Johnstone, 15, Alexandra Buchanan, 14, Beatrice Hooper, 16, Ellie Beverley, 16, and Florence Marshall, 16 - had taken sick leave to see the royals. They were drenched but had stuck around because "we're die-hard royalists". It squelched when they walked but it would all be worth it, they said. The girls chose their spot because it was opposite a wall and "they have to come over and talk to us". "It was basically empty when we arrived," said one. Although drenched themselves, the girls agreed they felt sorry for the royals because of the "horrible weather".

Also at the square were Wellington East school students Kirana Gaeta, 14, and Olivia Keay, 16, who had been waiting near the entrance of the square since 8am. Both had the day off school, although Olivia had to return after the royal visit. Kirana had been thinking about what she might say to the royals "for ages" but still didn't know. "I don't want to make a fool of myself." Olivia said: "I'll probably start crying." If they didn't get to speak to the couple, the girls wanted a photo or "even a glimpse of them".
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Video:
William & Catherine cuddle with police puppies.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/prince-william-kate-cuddle-cute-police-puppies-video-5933530

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 2m
William & Kate have left the Police College & are heading toward Civic Square to greet waiting crowds #RoyalVisitNZ

Civic Square is filling up
#RoyalVisitNZ birds eye viewpic.twitter.com/n0ytsAlMmx
— Angela Meyer (@candylecoque) April 15, 2014
Plunket New Zealand@PlunketNZ 2m
Big Blue is outside waiting or the Duke & Duchess! #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/LaKez8c4Ea

Cute levels rise: tiny children chosen to stand in Royals' way and be adorable. Even cops impressed. #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/EiT5592Pcp

Live Video Coverage:
http://www.livestation.com/reuters?source=redirect

Dear Wartenberg,
As Baroness suggested, my "wink" icon after my remark meant I was speaking tongue in cheek, and referring to, as hereditary princess said, several earlier posts by an Australian member who suggested nobody was interested.
It was a bit of an inside joke, which I normally do not do, and I'm sorry for the confusion. Thank you to the above posters, you can speak for me anytime!

"It is the first and only time the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have had a walkabout without rain during their visit to New Zealand.

The couple stopped to sign a visitors' book near the main entrance to the Wellington Town Hall.

A woman asked William when he was having another baby to which he replied: ``Oh you never know, give it time.''"
Live Blog: Royal visit to NZ - National - NZ Herald News

"Duke and Duchess leave Civic Square
Their departure marks the end of their official dutues in New Zealand."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Their Royal Highnesses should be on their way to the airport and fly to Australia to kick off their official tour there.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 2m
William & Kate have left Civic Square. They depart for Sydney via Royal Australian Air Force flight at 1pm. Can't wait to see George again!

Last edited:
I don't know what Big Blue is, but he sure is cute!
So are the children.

CATHERINE! #Kate No chatting ...:-( #RoyalVisitNZpic.twitter.com/EWvmOeKZM9
— Paola Brett (@paolabrett) April 16, 2014

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m
New South Wales premier Barry O' Farrell, due to greet the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Sydney Airport today, has just resigned.

Royal Australian Air Force on standby, waiting to take William, Kate & George to Sydney via @aaproyalvisit pic.twitter.com/M0WKUsscHB
Mr O' Farrell has quit, claiming a "massive memory fail", after misleading an anti-corruption inquiry over a gift of $3,000 bottle of wine.
Mr O'Farrell says he will convene a Liberal Party meeting next week to choose a successor. It's not clear if he'll still meet the couple.
Crowds gather behind barbed wire for a last glimpse of the royals at Wgtn airport #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/wLqa7V3ueT

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 2m
Kate told one woman in the crowd in Wellington today George was asleep, she added : "He's a very podgy baby"

Quote by Katl29:Although I love royalty etc I do believe that Australia should be a republic but I voted no to a republic in the referendum as I believe Australians should have some say in who is head of state.

I find that many people cry *republic* because of the expense of supporting a royal family, yet they have *No Idea* what a republic really is. I live in the US and yes it's a republic but many don't seem to realize that your just One Person, One Vote and sometimes that doesn't mean much. Yes you can elect a president and many others to the government, and over time as it has happened here, those officials become just like a royal family and then you have many many royal families to support not just the president, vice president and then all members of congress *thousands here) and then governors and all those others elected. Sure they get salaries but there is always a crooked way to make more money on the side with things like lobbyists, contracts, etc. I am 70 now and a young 70 who is very active and aware of what is going on in my government, and today I can say honestly, that I now don't support my government anymore, see America and our government are not one and the same anymore.........times have changed big time and not for the better. Young people today have no idea what this country once was like and how respected we once where in the world, not today! Live in a republic, vote, partispate in government, do volunteer work for an official and then judge. Me if I could I would move to England and gladly pay their taxes for the Queen (whom no longer has the civil list) instead of what I have to pay here. In my city where I live, there are 4 royal families (so they think) that are paid to think that the world owes them a living. Sorry if this is off topic!

Last edited:
:previous:
That second picture really is a great one and probably will be used for years

First photo-. we are not amused. William is such a good daddy though.
A bit OT, but got to say - Love what Catherine is wearing.

I must say that the advisors and the royal couple are very canny. Prince George was dressed in an outfit and sweater that have already been seen in NZ. The duchess was in a lovely recycled suit as well. They are smart. I think that the Australian landing just may see PG in a new outfit and the duchess in an Australian related designer and the Wattle brooch hopefully?

They are of course a terribly gorgeous family and thank goodness for another wonderful session with Gorgeous George! Hope the weather is better in Oz

Poor little grumpy darling...he just wants his own room and doggie and no more airplanes. When we took our son on one of his first vacations (after he could speak), he looked around the apartment we were staying in and said, I like our house better, Mommy. He was afraid we had moved.

SElizabeth said:
I find that many people cry *republic* because of the expense of supporting a royal family, yet they have *No Idea* what a republic really is...Sorry if this is off topic!
It´s not, on the contrary! It is not off topic because this trip is not about fashion or babies, but about the future of the brit. monarchy in commonwealth countries! Your post was very refreshing amongst all this talk about dresses....:whistling:

What is the point of this tour again? To me it seems like another of their holidays with activities like whine tasting, rugby coaching, sailing etc etc. Is this qualified as 'work' or 'representing a country'?...
Your question, what this visit was about, has been answered before. I just would like to add that Royals just cannot perform visits these days they might have done in the 1950s, waving while passing by, interacting only with dignitaries, holding speeches or listening to them, attending one lavish banquet after the next one etc.
If they have an engagement playing rugby it´s because they show interest in activities what "real" people do and not because they only want to play rugby or somethin´right this minute - it is even expected of them! Or visiting a winery means supporting the wine industry in New Zealand etc etc.
People of today want the Royals to document their interest in them and their activities, to respond and relate to everyday activities of ordinary people´s life, to take part other than just taking a look.

"Representing a country" in the common and usual sense would hardly be accepted today in the long run! Representing the way the older Royals did or still do will possibly die out with them. It was very fitting in the past and had its justification when times were different. But the people of today seem to expect something different, especially from young Royals!

In that respect, William and Catherine have performed a great job so far!

Those pictures with the puppies were adorable. I am loving George's facial expressions. The default seems to be the Queen's grumpy face.

So, what's the word on the street in New Zealand, now that the visit is over?

Has it changed peoples view on W&K? The BRF?

Is it a kind "okay, the show has moved on, let's change the channel"?

A "if anyone mention George, William or Kate one more time, I'll scream!"?

A general relief "no major screw up, now we can relax and get back to normal life"?

Or have people become addicted and follow the Australian part with just as much interest?

I think you know what I mean? ;)

Meant to say I saw some photos Of William and Kate with the big police dogs in an article today. Scary!
But I guess that's the point.

So, what's the word on the street in New Zealand, now that the visit is over?
There are 2 important future outcomes which could measure the success of this tour.

1. In about six months - do a poll on monarch as head of state (sorry cant remember the last result in NZ because my head is full of the great pro-monarchy results in aus, and I am also tired (nearly 04:00 am));

2. Tourism information. Did the cost of the tour deliver more return than the usual £5-10m usually spent? That will be know again, in about 6 mths time

So, 6 months and you will know.

There are other aspects such as either making people happy or boring them rigid but thats a lot to do with how the media (over)played it.

From a royal point of view, it is a success I should think.

Wartenberg7 said:
People of today want the Royals to document their interest in them and their activities, to respond and relate to everyday activities of ordinary people´s life, to take part other than just taking a look.
"Representing a country" in the common and usual sense would hardly be accepted today in the long run! Representing the way the older Royals did or still do will possibly die out with them. It was very fitting in the past and had its justification when times were different. But the people of today seem to expect something different, especially from young Royals!
In that respect, William and Catherine have performed a great job so far!
Wartenberg7: Your comment sure is right on.......I am a royalist I can say and not ashamed of it. Being history buff and reading and buying over 300 books on history over my time...........I am of the firm belief that there is nothing wrong with a royal family ***as long as they support and help the people of their country, , All the people******what goes wrong is when a royal person thinks because of an accident of birth(that is what happens when your Born into a royal family, accident of birth nothing more)that they are above or entitled to all the riches and perks at the expense of others. I can see that in the attitude of some royals today(nameless) and if and when their countries go republic it is their fault for not doing the job and taking on the responsibility of the people as a whole. I read somewhere that QM of Denmark can trace her family's history back 900 years, wow, omg, that is fabulous yet time will tell.
It doesn't make sense to me when so many call for a republic and know nothing about living in a republic, thinking that a republic will Fix all their problems and they won't have to worry about broken governments, broken promises, cost of everything going up and up, education for their children, and the list could go on forever..........that is so very shortsighted and narrow minded way of thinking.

Oh, yes, William and Catherine are doing a wonderful job..........so I am enjoying this trip viewing them from afar. Catherine has shown lots of self confidence and self assurance in herself this time around. She is still a young woman, wife with a baby in a demanding role and she is starting to blossom brightly. Love the interaction between her and William which shows that they aren't afraid to express their devotion to each other in public which makes us love them even more. Everybody loves a love story!

Thanks AdmirerUS & RoyalDaisy.

So people in general seem pretty pleased with visit and how it turned out.

Considering the international news coverage, also here in DK (which is about as far from New Zealand as you can get), I'd say the money spend on the visit seems to have been worth it in regards to publicity.
Personally I don't think it will lead to an increased influx of tourist, not outside the Commonwealth countries, but the positive coverage was there.

SElizabeth said:
...I am of the firm belief that there is nothing wrong with a royal family ***as long as they support and help the people of their country...what goes wrong is when a royal person thinks because of an accident of birth(that is what happens when your Born into a royal family, accident of birth nothing more)
That´s, at least, what we "enlightened", realistic and democratically bred people of today use to think...;)
But if you´re religious (like the Queen of Great Britain, f. instance), you believe that there IS something like a godly plan/ fate or that we are all here to perform a specific task during our course on this planet (and it doesn´t mean being a Royal is more "worthful" or important than a nurse, a secretary, a lawyer, whatever...!)
Otherwise part of her title "... by the grace of god..." wouldn´t make sense. Of course one could say "Oh, that´s just a tradition without substance".
But I think that the Queen takes this very seriously and being anointed at the coronation was not just an old man pouring some oil upon her!
I believe this feeling of being called by God is the foundation of her enduring will to serve without ever complaining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom