Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. Hokey Pokey is in the US is a dance that you would do with little kids.

:lol: Also with adults at wedding receptions! It's always fun to shimmy to this dance.

Last edited:
You can watch Rebecca break up a chat going a bit long (in a very diplomatic way).

Rebecca strikes me as a gracious young lady who is probably the epitome of discretion. If you notice in the video clip, after she takes the flowers and gifts from Kate, she hands them to two small girls following behind. It must be a thrill for these little girls to be assisting the duchess. I wonder how they get chosen to help.

I would love to do the hokey pokey and eat hokey pokey ice cream too. That's what it's all about!

Today, we are all over Kate and how she has grown into her role. I want to also point out Wills and how he has demanded Kate be nurtured and brought along. I may loathe his multiple blue suits, but I adore how he has claimed time, patience and opportunities for her to work and build skills. He has asked she work with himself and other royals and learn the ropes from the experience. Even if he was born to the role, he is very good at it. There are royals who do not work the walk lines. It is not an easy thing to do. You are presented with people who think you can fix things. That's just not reality.
I give them both ;) for how they have done in NZ.

I've Missed The Last Three Days Of The Royal Tour...

...I tripped in my home early Sunday morning and smashed up the bones in my arm.

I'm still in hospital, so have missed all the TV reports and papers.

Thank you for all the links and photos posted here, that I'll catch up with as I get back on my feet.

It's now Tuesday afternoon here and I've had a chance to see today's Sydney newspaper.

Four large photos of the Duchess and three smaller photos of the Duke - from the cricket.

They look like they had a good time.

C's photos are of her wagging her finger at W, and pulling a face. Did she miss the ball - she looks a bit sheepish. :lol:

Prince William is quoted in the report quite a bit, and always refers to the Duchess as "Catherine" when speaking.

If I'm discharged later today, I'll get a chance to see the Royal party arrive in OZ on TV tomorrow - quite a different country to lovely New Zealand.

Best Wishes All, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
...I tripped in my home early Sunday morning and smashed up the bones in my arm.

I'm still in hospital, so have missed all the TV reports and papers.

Thank you for all the links and photos posted here, that I'll catch up with as I get back on my feet,

It's now Tuesday afternoon here and I've had a chance to see today's Sydney newspaper.

Four large photos of the Duchess and three smaller photos of the Duke - from the cricket.

They look like they had a good time.

C's photos are of her wagging her finger at W, and pulling a face. Did she miss the ball - she looks a bit sheepish. :lol:

Prince William is quoted in the report quite a bit, and always refers to the Duchess as "Catherine" when speaking.

If I'm discharged later today, I'll get a chance to see the Royal party arrive in OZ on TV tomorrow - quite a different country to lovely New Zealand.

Best Wishes All, Sun Lion.

Oh poor you Sun Lion..hope you will feel better soon. I always loves reading all your comments

Sent from my SHV-E210K using The Royals Community mobile app

I thought nobody cared and nobody was going to show up;)

What makes you think so? I always wonder how people could misjudge the popularity of the couple that much (unless, may be, you´re not into Royalty)!
The greatest misjudgemt in that respect was the Queen´s Golden, not Diamond, Jubilee in 2002. Beforehand the media stated "nobody shows up". But what a huge success it turned out, with 100s of thousends of people attending. I slowly start to believe that this moaning about a royal event before it happens is part of our today´s media culture...?

If people in the Commonwealth were that uninterested Canada, New Zealand or Australia would have had the monarchy abolished already (Australia even renewed its ties with the monarchy some years ago again by performing a referendum). Of course there are anti-monarchists in all of these countries. But the majority of the population remains pro royal.

Last edited:

What makes you think so? I always wonder how people could misjudge the popularity of the couple that much (unless, may be, you´re not into Royalty)!
The greatest misjudgemt in that respect was the Queen´s Golden, not Diamond, Jubilee in 2002. Beforehand the media stated "nobody shows up". But what a huge success it turned out, with 100s of thousends of people attending. I slowly start to believe that this moaning about a royal event before it happens is part of our today´s media culture...?

If people in the Commonwealth were that uninterested Canada, New Zealand or Australia would have had the monarchy abolished already (Australia even renewed its ties with the monarchy some years ago again by performing a referendum). Of course there are anti-monarchists in all of these countries. But the majority of the population remains pro royal.

The referendum in Australia was not defeated because people wanted to keep the monarchy but because we did not like the model that was being presented. We were not asked if we wanted a republic but if we wanted a republic with a head of state chosen by the government.

Although I love royalty etc I do believe that Australia should be a republic but I voted no to a republic in the referendum as I believe Australians should have some say in who is head of state. I was not alone in this view and if you look at opinion polls you will see the backlash the current Prime Minister has received for bringing back Knighthoods.

I am very, very pleased that the tour is going so well and I am sure it will continue to do so but please remember that Australia and New Zealand are two completely separate countries. There is a far, far bigger support for a republic in Australia than there is in New Zealand.

In Australia we do like the Cambridge's and many people will come out to see them but to be honest many people also came out to see Oprah when she visited.

We tend to view members of royalty both British and Danish (Mary is Australian so Danish Family is very popular) more as celebrities rather than future heads of state. Mary and Kate are on the covers of our weekly gossip magazines and are featured on our breakfast TV shows - to the demographic who uses those types of media they would be very popular but that is only a certain section of the country's population.

Sometimes on The Royal Forums it is easy to forget that we are only a a very small group of people around the world who happen to love Royalty (we wouldn't be here if we didn't) but the members of the Royal Forums is not necessarily typical of the views of an entire country.

Raining Cats And Dogs In Sydney.

The International media have arrived in Sydney to catch the Royal party landing tomorrow, and must have been relieved to get away from all the rain in New Zealand.

But it's here in Sydney too - and it's pouring down.

Pouring, pouring, pouring like we haven't had since who knows when.

Hopefully it will rain all night and run out.

TV here is advertising the arrival at 2.00pm and will broadcast it live.

They're also calling their coverage of the Tour a ''Special News Event'' and will be covering all the action.

Cheers, Sun Lion - and thank you Hanymph for your kind thoughts.

Sun Lion, So sorry to hear of your accident but glad you are better. Looking forward to your contribution during the Australian leg of this trip...Stay well!!!

Sun Lion, I'm sorry to hear of your injury and I'm pleased to hear that you're recovering. I look forward into reading your posts during the Cambridge's Australia tour.

I've noticed that there have been no public appearances from William and Catherine today. I'm assuming that they're having a rest day.

I think Frelinghighness was referring to one of our Australian member's post in the earlier pages of this thread, which was stating that not many people in their area and the rest of the country was interested in the tour. That's the impression I got, although of course I could be wrong. :flowers:

Last edited:
Apr 15 was a rest day. It's now the 16th in NZ. They are going to a police college and do a walkabout in Wellington before heading to Sydney where they will attend a reception at the Opera House.

:previous: Thanks for the confirmation Skippyboo. :flowers: This tour is going very quickly!

Why? It's balloon sculpting bouquet and it's way better than the ordinary flower which one could just buy anywhere.

Because it looks very ugly! If you´d get that thing, would you put it in your house?!:ermm:
But somebody remarked, Cath. got it from a little girl; children of course have a different taste than adults. So, it´s all right.

The referendum in Australia was not defeated because people wanted to keep the monarchy but because we did not like the model that was being presented. We were not asked if we wanted a republic but if we wanted a republic with a head of state chosen by the government.

Sometimes on The Royal Forums it is easy to forget that we are only a a very small group of people around the world who happen to love Royalty (we wouldn't be here if we didn't) but the members of the Royal Forums is not necessarily typical of the views of an entire country.

Well, if I was a staunch republican I´d accepted the australian governments proposal (in fact not unusual in many democracys. In Germany the president is elected by parliament, the goverment and the oppositional parties) as a first step into the republican direction and after that fight for a system to vote a head of state I choose, if that´s what´s important to australian people.
This constant moaning and argueing about the monarchy but at the same time voting against a chance for a change of system is beyond me...?! (You´re, of course, not meant personally!)
Your 2nd remark, Royalists were only a small group I can only say, that if a Democracy is not in the majority in favour of the monarchy, it deposes it! All european monarchies, but also for instance Thailand or Japan, have a clear majority in favour of their royal families (one country more, the other less - but still). Some monarchies are 80, 85% or more in favour.
I cannot think of hardly any country a president would ever reach a number of support like this, because there would have always been people who voted against him.
If the number of people in favour of a monarchy on the whole planet is greater or smaller than the one who is against is not important because the earth is not a monarchy nor a republic. What counts is the support for the one or the other system in a particular country.

Well, if I was a staunch republican I´d accepted the australian governments proposal (in fact not unusual in many democracys. In Germany the president is elected by parliament, the goverment and the oppositional parties) as a first step into the republican direction and after that fight for a system to vote a head of state I choose, if that´s what´s important to australian people.
This constant moaning and argueing about the monarchy but at the same time voting against a chance for a change of system is beyond me...?! (You´re, of course, not meant personally!)
Your 2nd remark, Royalists were only a small group I can only say, that if a Democracy is not in the majority in favour of the monarchy, it deposes it! All european monarchies, but also for instance Thailand or Japan, have a clear majority in favour of their royal families (one country more, the other less - but still). Some monarchies are 80, 85% or more in favour.
I cannot think of hardly any country a president would ever reach a number of support like this, because there would have always been people who voted against him.
If the number of people in favour of a monarchy on the whole planet is greater or smaller than the one who is against is not important because the earth is not a monarchy nor a republic. What counts is the support for the one or the other system in a particular country.

This is not the thread but I will be very interested to see the response from Australians and New Zealanders to this point. I think the distinction between the situation in Australia and countries like Thailand and Japan, is that the latter's royal family actually lives within their borders.

It is fascinating to see William and Catherine's reception in New Zealand. They are obviously a celebrity couple, but their celebrity is based on their royal status. I tend to think they would receive the same reception if they were simply the future King and Queen of Britain versus the Sovereign and Consort of the Commonwealth

Last edited:
As US Royal Watcher says interesting subject and a good topic for discussion. Perhaps a new thread could be started as this isn't really the correct thread for it? Also it would enable both Australian and NZ views to be put forward. This thread is for NZ part of the tour and wont be particularly active after this week.

:previous:
Popularity of the Monarchy in Australia and New Zealand. How about that for a title?

Sun Lion, I'm sorry to hear of your injury and I'm pleased to hear that you're recovering. I look forward into reading your posts during the Cambridge's Australia tour.

I've noticed that there have been no public appearances from William and Catherine today. I'm assuming that they're having a rest day.

I think Frelinghighness was referring to one of our Australian member's post in the earlier pages of this thread, which was stating that not many people in their area and the rest of the country was interested in the tour. That's the impression I got, although of course I could be wrong. :flowers:

I believe her "wink" icon shows that she was speaking tongue in cheek and in jest, but far be it from me to put words in anyone's mouth!

And I'm sorry to hear of your injury, Sun Lion. I hope you'll feel better soon and will be fast on the road to recovery. You have to keep us in the loop!

Last edited:
Rain Has Stopped - But Air Is Cold Here In Sydney.

Hi Everyone - and thank you for you're kind thoughts.

I saw the news last night and they said all that rain here in Sydney was the wettest start to Autumn in twenty-four years.

Hopefully it is over now - still some heavy clouds about, but no wind.

Coldest morning for a long time though - but as long as the rain is finished.

Another reporter was on TV last night telling people to get in place early, as thousands are expected to line up on the Opera House Forecourt, as the Duke and Duchess are expected to do a bit of a walkabout.

We should get saturation coverage of the Australian leg.

Some TV channels are advertising the ''spetacular pictures'' they will be broadcastng throughout the Tour.

I'll be propped up in bed, flipping between the channels, come afternoon.

Cheers All, Sun Lion.

Prince William will walk the grounds of the Royal New Zealand Police College in Porirua today, more than 33 years after his father opened the facility.

The prince and his wife Catherine will visit the college as one of their last functions during their 10-day tour of New Zealand, before they head for Australia-

Royals return to police college - National - NZ Herald News

Video:
Wet farewell expected for royals-
Wet farewell expected for royals - NZ News - Video - 3 News

Rumour has it....
We've heard whispers that Prince George will visit the Police College with his parents today. There's talk that he will be in tow to watch the police dog training. We know the future King loves his own pup, Lupo so will we get another glimpse at the King of cuteness?

- Nicky Park, Life & Style Editor
Live Blog: Royal visit to NZ - National - NZ Herald News

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom