Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the boat ride yesterday....Any of my fellow Middle Earth fans here also expect to see Arwen and Frodo on Asfaloth come thundering down those hills at any second w/The Nazgul hot on their heels!?! :D ;)

That scene where the Nazgul are faced down by Arwen and swept away by the flood in Fellowship was shot there.

Love Kate's outfit today and those chairs are just.... :( Very much reminds me of the Oklahoma City Memorial. Seeing that car seat is really going to hit the Cambridges hard when they see it IMO. It'll bring it all very close to home I think.

I also want to thank you all for providing all the links to...well...Everything so far this tour. My Family got blindsided by a Health Emergency, not my Dad this time, but still close and....I'll get more into it over in Member's Corner later, but I wanted to thank you all for giving me something to distract me the last couple of days. Please keep them coming!!

Is The Duke wearing a pink shirt - or is that just a trick of the cameras/colors?

William & Kate the Transitional Cathedral in Christchurch #RoyalVisitNZ via @CHCHCathedral pic.twitter.com/0kTXsuOF40

Meeting families at Latimer Square memorial-
"The Duke and Duchess spoke at length with families of quake victims who had gathered at Latimer Square for a memorial.

The couple were scheduled to meet the families of four victims - Jayden Andrews-Howland, 15, who was killed in a bus; Jane-Marie Alberts, 44, who died in the PGC building collapse; Dr Maysoon Abbas, 61, who died in the CTV collapse; and Ian Foldesi, 64, who was killed by falling rocks on the Port Hills.

The conversations were cordial, with smiles, rather than tears, marking the occasion.

Foldesi's family brought his labrador, Tetley, who found his body, to the site.

The dog, which had a union jack scarf tied around its neck, had been lying on the grass, but leapt up for his royal guests.

Alberts' family present included her niece, Summer Oliver, who was injured in the PGC collapse.

The couple couple chose to cross the grass to meet many more, including CTV receptionist Mary-Anne Jackson, who fled the building just before it collapsed. An elderly woman in a wheelchair gave Kate a bouquet of flowers.

A group of children asked William how their New Zealand trip had been.

"It's going well so far, no dramas," he said.

A cheer went out from the crowd as the royal couple arrived by van at the site with Christchurch Mayor Liane Dalziel, Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee and Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority chief executive Roger Sutton.

Some of the children among the families of quake victims clapped as the couple stepped into the grassed CTV site."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Sweet -->"@SkyNewsCam Prince William says he's always missing George" #RoyalVisitNZ
Five sets of twins line up to meet William and Kate in Christchurch pic.twitter.com/B7IzLhNiNM

Last edited:
A poignant event today in Christchurch. It obviously left a big impression on William when he first visited.

Dman, thank you so much for all your links and updates! You're spoiling us!

A poignant event today in Christchurch. It obviously left a big impression on William when he first visited.

Dman, thank you so much for all your links and updates! You're spoiling us!

You're welcome. I'm just glad that I'm able to follow the tour in the evening.

"@GovGeneralNZ A balloon bouquet for the Duchess! #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/1Jij3Reobh"
Very creative.

Pictures:
Press Association Images

Lucky! "
@mrsgooding
We shook hands with Kate. 3.5 hours' wait was worth it! She's so beautiful!
#RoyalVisitNZ
pic.twitter.com/v8ukfYLIOh
"

More meeting crowds, accepting gifts-
"Hundreds of royal watchers lined Latimer Square, which the Duke and Duchess walked through after visiting the Cardboard Cathedral.

The couple has split up to meet the crowd, of which the rows are eight deep.

They have shaken hands while fans screamed, in particular for a wave from the duchess.

Kate got the path while William took the grassy side of the square.

Kate was inundated with gifts for baby George, including balloon flowers, toys and a sheep pillow. She had to pass them off to helpers only to be handed more.

Christchurch 13-year-old Tilly-Belle Robinson gave the duchess a boom she wrote herself entitled 'George meets the Kiwi'.

"She said she would read it to George tonight," she said.

"She's beautiful."

Police had to hold the barrier fence up in some places as the crowd surged forward.

They then stopped to speak with mothers of five sets of twins, all born within about a month if each other, nearly two years ago.

Prince William opened his arms as the five prams were pushed towards them."

Royals acknowledge Cricket World Cup:
"The couple have walked towards the giant cricket ball, marking the countdown to next year's World Cup.

William briefly held the Cricket World Cup, which was on display at the park, before checking out the countdown clock to the start of the competition.

The couple were each presented with Cricket World Cup tops and a onesy for little baby George, by the World Cup organiser."

Last edited:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1m
William and Kate have just been playing cricket. Fantastic pictures for our papers.

The Duchess of Cambridge participates in a game of cricket #RoyalVisitNZ via @9NewsAUS pic.twitter.com/rdU1RHrZdh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mq1m26tP28&feature=youtu.be&ac

The Duke shows off his cricket skills in Christchurch #RoyalVisitNZ @cricketworldcup pic.twitter.com/a03IYorSwG

Last edited:
I thought nobody cared and nobody was going to show up;)

Catherine is doing a wonderful job with the crowds who've been waiting for hours. She really has evolved.

Thank goodness the weather has cooperated and scenes of NZ can be appreciated.

Last edited:
She's found her niche
Her confidance, her relaxing way, she's certainly has grown

Kate's certainly been doing quite well for herself on this tour; her personality has really been coming through.

Last edited:
Kate's certainly been doing quite well for herself on this tour; her personality has really been coming through.

Agreed. You can see that she feels much more at ease, and she seems to be very warm with the crowds and everyone turning up to meet her. She's doing a wonderful job so far.

Watching the boat ride yesterday....Any of my fellow Middle Earth fans here also expect to see Arwen and Frodo on Asfaloth come thundering down those hills at any second w/The Nazgul hot on their heels!?! :D ;)

That scene where the Nazgul are faced down by Arwen and swept away by the flood in Fellowship was shot there.

Love Kate's outfit today and those chairs are just.... :( Very much reminds me of the Oklahoma City Memorial. Seeing that car seat is really going to hit the Cambridges hard when they see it IMO. It'll bring it all very close to home I think.

I also want to thank you all for providing all the links to...well...Everything so far this tour. My Family got blindsided by a Health Emergency, not my Dad this time, but still close and....I'll get more into it over in Member's Corner later, but I wanted to thank you all for giving me something to distract me the last couple of days. Please keep them coming!!
:) I thought that site looked very familiar!!!! Thank you for the information.

Kate reveals baby George's routine-
Kate reveals baby George's routine - National - NZ Herald News

Cambridges wave goodbye to Christchurch-
"After the lunch, the royals emerged from the museum to be greeted by squeals of delight from the crowd. Kate gave them a wave.
They then each laid a single red rose at the Wall of Remembrance to pay respects to New Zealand's fallen airmen.
William and Kate also unveiled a new plaque, 'In recognition of all those RNZAF personnel who have served in peacekeeping missions throughout the world since 1948.'
A final wave before they got back into the motorcade set for the airport and a flight back to Wellington, and baby George."
The Duke and Duchess pay their respects at the RNZAF Memorial Wall #RoyalVisitNZpic.twitter.com/39fVh59Yv4
— Governor-General NZ (@GovGeneralNZ) April 14, 2014

Unveiling plaque in recognition of RNZAF personnel that served in peacekeeping missions #RoyalVisitNZ #royaltourNZ pic.twitter.com/XIQJCpf8bi

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 7m
William & Kate have flown out of Christchurch back to Wellington to be with George. They will spend tomorrow privately. #RoyalVisitNZ

Almost bowled over! The Duchess of Cambridge narrowly avoids getting hit in the head by a ball as she plays cricket in heels and a suit during game against husband Prince William-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Queenstown-early-morning-stop-Royal-tour.html

Royal visit to NZ winding down-
"After an action packed week-long agenda here in Aotearoa, the Duke and Duchess will spend tomorrow resting in private.

On Wednesday, the royal couple will fly out of Wellington Airport and head to Sydney for their first Aussie engagement that evening.

We will continue to bring you all of the best royal bits, galleries, news, video, social media and live coverage from the Australia leg of the tour, so be sure to check back in to our live blog."

- Nicky Park, Life & Style Editor

Last edited:
That cricket appearance may be my favorite ever. What great fun, great chatter with the kids, great for the sport. These two are perhaps the best examples of royal good sportsmanship I have ever seen.

BTW - here is an article about the pin all the New Zealand officials are wearing: Heard of the royal tour tchotchke? Kiwis want one

Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Trip to NZ and Australia, April 7-25 2014

If we believe the DM - the tour group took up two boats.

In this photo, Rebecca and the valet surround the royal couple?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/13/article-2603597-1D10EA9A00000578-54_964x686.jpg

Did anyone ID other members of the party - or can you tell me if I am wrong or right?

EDIT: More on Shotover - I wondered at the Ngai Tahu connection. They bought an 80% stake in Shotover in 1999. There are rafting and jet boat operators elsewhere on the river - but only Shotover Jet in the Canyon.
http://www.shotoverjet.com/about/history/
Finally, Shania Twain's ex owns a lot of the land around the canyon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotover_River

No that's not Rebecca or the orderly. Rebecca and Miguel were in the back row of the boat in the center.

No that's not Rebecca or the orderly. Rebecca and Miguel were in the back row of the boat in the center.

Thank You Skippy Boo - I have issues with discerning facial features. :whistling:

I watched the video Dman posted below (Post 847) and for me it really brings home what it is like to be working the walkabout lines and to be in them. It's footage of the little girl with the balloon bouquet. The calls are incessant. You can watch Rebecca break up a chat going a bit long (in a very diplomatic way). If you watch closely the usually serious female security officer at left you can see her break out in a smile as a group in the back tries very valiantly to get Kate's attention.

I don't know if anyone had noticed this:
"Earlier in the morning, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were encouraged to expand their family by a tribal elder in New Zealand as they touched down in the New Zealand city.

During their official welcome, the couple giggled as Henare Rakiihia Tau, a tribal elder or Upoko Runanga, of the Ngai Tuahutriri Maori tribe, told them in a speech: 'Do what princes and princess do, increase your family.'"
The Duchess of Cambridge plays cricket against husband Prince William in Christchurch, New Zealand | Mail Online

I had noticed when he had said that, Catherine & William gave each other a nice and loving look-
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...and-catherine-duchess-of-news-photo/484441011

Key is keeping it kiwi
-"The royals will be heading to Premier House in Wellington tonight for a private dinner with PM John Key, his wife Bronagh and son Max. On the menu will be lamb and seafood served with wine from Marlborough's Cloudy Bay. Dessert will be a traditional Australian New Zealand pavlova and hokey pokey ice cream to finish.

Mr Key won't be donning an apron - he's hired Kapiti chef Ruth Pretty to do the honours. After spending a weekend with the royals at Balmoral Castle in Scotland last year, Mr Key was one of the first world leaders to see Prince George after he was born and said he had developed a friendship with the duke."

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge meets families of victims of the 2011 Christchurch quake #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/CsHZMkMoqv
William & Kate each lay a stone as a tribute to Christchurch victims #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/bHC7yKLfcx

You're welcome. I'm just glad that I'm able to follow the tour in the evening.

"@GovGeneralNZ A balloon bouquet for the Duchess! #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/1Jij3Reobh"
Very creative.

Pictures:
Press Association Images

Lucky! "
@mrsgooding
We shook hands with Kate. 3.5 hours' wait was worth it! She's so beautiful!
#RoyalVisitNZ
pic.twitter.com/v8ukfYLIOh
"

More meeting crowds, accepting gifts-
"Hundreds of royal watchers lined Latimer Square, which the Duke and Duchess walked through after visiting the Cardboard Cathedral.

The couple has split up to meet the crowd, of which the rows are eight deep.

They have shaken hands while fans screamed, in particular for a wave from the duchess.

Kate got the path while William took the grassy side of the square.

Kate was inundated with gifts for baby George, including balloon flowers, toys and a sheep pillow. She had to pass them off to helpers only to be handed more.

Christchurch 13-year-old Tilly-Belle Robinson gave the duchess a boom she wrote herself entitled 'George meets the Kiwi'.

"She said she would read it to George tonight," she said.

"She's beautiful."

Police had to hold the barrier fence up in some places as the crowd surged forward.

They then stopped to speak with mothers of five sets of twins, all born within about a month if each other, nearly two years ago.

Prince William opened his arms as the five prams were pushed towards them."
Live Blog: Royals in Christchurch - National - NZ Herald News

Royals acknowledge Cricket World Cup:
"The couple have walked towards the giant cricket ball, marking the countdown to next year's World Cup.

William briefly held the Cricket World Cup, which was on display at the park, before checking out the countdown clock to the start of the competition.

The couple were each presented with Cricket World Cup tops and a onesy for little baby George, by the World Cup organiser."
First- that first photo of Catherine melts my heart.
Second- That balloon bouquet is amazing. How creative and pretty.

My only negative comment about this tour will be that whenever William and Catherine are arriving at or in the middle of a royal engagement, I'm off to bed -that's the down side about having different time zones. Having said that, it's always nice to have a look at the photos in the morning.
Here are two articles from The Telegraph about today's appearance from William and Catherine. I don't think they've been posted before:

Royal tour: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge take their sporting rivalry to the cricket pitch - Telegraph
Royal tour: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge urged to have more children - Telegraph

Does hokey pokey ice cream involve sticking various body parts in and out while turning oneself around while eating it?

I imagine that the while William and Kate are meeting people on a walkabout it's hard for Rebecca and Miguel to keep them somewhat on schedule since people are so much more chatty with them than they would be with the Queen for example.

Agreed. You can see that she feels much more at ease, and she seems to be very warm with the crowds and everyone turning up to meet her. She's doing a wonderful job so far.

I'm in agreement with the both of you. In my opinion, Catherine has never lacked in 'people' skills, but there's something different about her interactions on this tour. Her confidence has no doubt risen in the past (most) three years, and it shows. It's a pleasure to watch her interactions.

What is the point of this tour again? To me it seems like another of their holidays with activities like whine tasting, rugby coaching, sailing etc etc. Is this qualified as 'work' or 'representing a country'?

And I dont get the talk about the big issue that the Cambridges are spending the night without George. They had no trouble to leave him behind when jetting to the Maldives.

To me its pure PR without substance, even more so that the British subjects have yet to see George in person (apart from him leaving the hospital after birth), they only get pictures from time to time because the kid's privacy is to be protected, yet W&K have no problems showing him around a couple of times during this prolonged vacation aka as official visit.

Not too sure about the people they meeting in NZ but honestly speaking from my personal experience when William and Catherine visited Singapore in 2012, ordinary Singaporeans did not really get to see them very up close, let alone speak to them. I took 2 days off work to follow them around, only to realise that priority were given to British citizens staying in Singapore. At most venues, right in the front of the barricades were British citizens (waving their union jack), the British council and children from the international school.

If you go back to look at their tour pictures in Singapore, except for staff of the places they visited, you can always see them chatting only with Caucasians, not the other native Singaporeans - Chinese, Malays or Indians.

Last edited:
I think the more fair comparison of this tour to the 2 previous one is Canada. In Singapore, Malaysia and USA, the Cambridges were acting as representatives of Great Britain. In NZ like in Canada, they are acting as representatives of the Queen of the country they visiting. Both the governments of NZ and Australia had input into the itinerary. Rugby, sailing and wine are a big deal in NZ.

Does hokey pokey ice cream involve sticking various body parts in and out while turning oneself around while eating it?

I imagine that the while William and Kate are meeting people on a walkabout it's hard for Rebecca and Miguel to keep them somewhat on schedule since people are so much more chatty with them than they would be with the Queen for example.

Hokey Pokey ice cream is plain vanilla ice cream with bits of honeycomb pieces in. It's lovely homemade.

Duke & Duchess of Cambridge: Trip to NZ and Australia, April 7-25 2014

Thanks for the info. Hokey Pokey is in the US is a dance that you would do with little kids.

Last edited:
The Duchess has done am amazing job, I'm sure it won't be long before she is given one of these by the Queen. Well deserved too!

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Honours/RoyalFamilyOrders.aspx

I agree, angieuk. I think The Queen will be giving (if not already) Catherine the Royal Family Order. Catherine has grown a lot in her royal life. You can tell that she not only enjoy her official engagements and meeting the people but she also enjoy supporting William. You can really see they're love and bond on this tour and the joy and happiness George has brought them.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 29m
While the royal party are remaining in Wellington for the next 36 hours, the press pack are flying ahead to Sydney this morning....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom