Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the point of this tour again? To me it seems like another of their holidays with activities like whine tasting, rugby coaching, sailing etc etc. Is this qualified as 'work' or 'representing a country'?

And I dont get the talk about the big issue that the Cambridges are spending the night without George. They had no trouble to leave him behind when jetting to the Maldives.

To me its pure PR without substance, even more so that the British subjects have yet to see George in person (apart from him leaving the hospital after birth), they only get pictures from time to time because the kid's privacy is to be protected, yet W&K have no problems showing him around a couple of times during this prolonged vacation aka as official visit.

I'm fed up with speculations on a possible pregnancy!
1) William said that at the moment one is enough
2) She drank wine
3) She would'nt have done the shotover (The expert told that he has the duty to ask if there are some women pregnant aboard)
4) I think William meant that George is getting more and more bigger everyday, hence the shawl.
STOP IT :)

Apparently the woman who made the shawl actually said he said "sometime" and not "soon"...so that might mean he wants one for the next one.
I wouldn't use a shawl on a baby that wasn't a newborn, and I especially wouldn't use one on a boy George's size.
Don't understand how the reporters confused what she said.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we believe the DM - the tour group took up two boats.

In this photo, Rebecca and the valet surround the royal couple?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/13/article-2603597-1D10EA9A00000578-54_964x686.jpg

Did anyone ID other members of the party - or can you tell me if I am wrong or right?

EDIT: More on Shotover - I wondered at the Ngai Tahu connection. They bought an 80% stake in Shotover in 1999. There are rafting and jet boat operators elsewhere on the river - but only Shotover Jet in the Canyon.
http://www.shotoverjet.com/about/history/
Finally, Shania Twain's ex owns a lot of the land around the canyon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotover_River

Last edited:
It wasnt all of the royal party. I saw at least 2 elderly people, including one with a walking stick, get on board. They could be local officials but not members of the royal party.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the point of this tour again? To me it seems like another of their holidays...
They are there because they were invited so they didn't initiate a "PR" exercise. Number of reasons for the tour -

1. Reinforces the link between the monarchy and New Zealand (generally and with formal events including investiture, mtg PM and Leader of Opposition)
2. Commemorative events linked to start of WWI - something NZ takes v seriously. This will be continued in Australia with ceremonies linked to ANZAC day)
3. Thank you to current members of the military
4. Highlight hospice movement - only in its early stages in NZ
5. Show NZ to the world. According to reports I've read NZ spend millions each year promoting their country in order to attract visitors. This tour has done that for something like 1/10th of the cost. This is important to the country.

Thousands of people have turned out on this tour so far. So it means something to New Zealanders.

EDIT: Forgot to add - the visit to Christchurch (2nd by William) to support and promote the work being done to restore the town after the earthquake in 2010

Last edited:
It wasnt all of the royal party. I saw at least 2 elderly people, including one with a walking stick, get on board. They could be local officials but not members of the royal party.

Thanks. The GG site breifly noted local Ngai Tahuwere invited to be in the tour group. But as to who they were, ?

What is the point of this tour again? To me it seems like another of their holidays with activities like whine tasting, rugby coaching, sailing etc etc. Is this qualified as 'work' or 'representing a country'?

And I dont get the talk about the big issue that the Cambridges are spending the night without George. They had no trouble to leave him behind when jetting to the Maldives.

To me its pure PR without substance, even more so that the British subjects have yet to see George in person (apart from him leaving the hospital after birth), they only get pictures from time to time because the kid's privacy is to be protected, yet W&K have no problems showing him around a couple of times during this prolonged vacation aka as official visit.

They are getting to know a lot of organizations and activities in their host country. This tour was jointly organized with the NZ and Australian governments, so your beef is with them. This is the norm for British tours, so why all the fuss?

I'm fed up with speculations on a possible pregnancy!
1) William said that at the moment one is enough
2) She drank wine
3) She would'nt have done the shotover (The expert told that he has the duty to ask if there are some women pregnant aboard)
4) I think William meant that George is getting more and more bigger everyday, hence the shawl.
STOP IT :)

I'm getting a little sick of them too. I remember that elsewhere on the internet, there were pregnancy speculations a while ago, when George was only six months or so. I personally think that it's too soon for Catherine to have another baby since George is only eight months, although it is possible as I used to know two sisters who were born eight or nine months apart from each other. Everyone used to think they were twins as they looked alike too. I remember that there was an article (I think in The Daily Mail) a few months ago saying that William and Catherine aren't going to have another baby just yet. IMO they will wait until George is around two or three years old.

Back to the tour, I love that photo of Catherine hugging the little girl and giving her a traditional Maori welcome. Very sweet.

I think events like the sailing/rugby coaching etc. were organised by the NZ government because Kate & William are known to be very sporty people - a combination of wanting to please their guests and also perhaps attract a slightly wider public. I guess there aren't too many royal visits when these kind of active pursuits can be included. I don't see them as in anyway " downtime" in that they are still very much in the public eye - in fact there's probably more opportunity to be caught out off guard!
As for leaving George, the press make much more of this. No doubt William & Kate must be constantly asked about this, and there comments are inevitably reported.

They are there because they were invited so they didn't initiate a "PR" exercise. Number of reasons for the tour -

1. Reinforces the link between the monarchy and New Zealand (generally and with formal events including investiture, mtg PM and Leader of Opposition)
2. Commemorative events linked to start of WWI - something NZ takes v seriously. This will be continued in Australia with ceremonies linked to ANZAC day)
3. Thank you to current members of the military
4. Highlight hospice movement - only in its early stages in NZ
5. Show NZ to the world. According to reports I've read NZ spend millions each year promoting their country in order to attract visitors. This tour has done that for something like 1/10th of the cost. This is important to the country.

Thousands of people have turned out on this tour so far. So it means something to New Zealanders.

EDIT: Forgot to add - the visit to Christchurch (2nd by William) to support and promote the work being done to restore the town after the earthquake in 2010
Excellent response! Also it has links to their foundation and charitable focus.:flowers:

And my heart has melted for a hundredth time! Kate hugging that little girl was absolutely precious, and in the picture with her rugby team, it's hard to tell who is having more fun, her or the kids. This tour is a joy to follow. This couple is making so many people smile.

Same here, on all counts. :D
Is it wrong that I'm already dying for the next tour?:ROFLMAO:

Interesting to see how Catherine has gained in confidence since the first tour to Canada. There is much more interaction with people and an increase in walkabouts. This video was posted on youtube by someone waiting outside the church. Good sample of Catherine talking as well as the locals!

https://t.co/Ilcml8pDIK

Will and Kate walking into the Cathedral Source: govgeneralnz's photo Instagram#RoyalVisitNZ
— Kelly Mathews (@allthingsregal) April 12, 2014

My very thoughts!!! Children are so perceptive...the little girl at Rainbow Place said that Catherine had "smiley eyes"...so sweet!

First- all I can say is "aww". This melts me like a stick of butter. Just keeps getting better and better.
Second- out of the mouths of babes. Says a lot about Catherine, doesn't it? Adults tend to complicate things more than needed- I know I struggle for words when explaining what is so special about Catherine. Children go for the heart of the matter, and sum it up perfectly. They're capable of saying the most poignant things. And also the most hysterical sometimes. :lol:But they always get it right.
Third- go back to Point number one.

Last edited:

And to me it does not. 450 journalists have been accredited for this tour, so where ever they go 450 reporters go too, plus the thousands of members of the public who show up. Investitures, laying wreaths, hospice visits, appearing at strangers' children's rugby games, opening a bicycling venue, making conversation with hundreds of people they have never met are hardly things anyone would do voluntarily while on vacation. Even those things they might chose to do if truly on vacation, for example Catherine clearly loved sailing and probably would have liked to sail all day, they can only do for a short while before they move on to the next stop because the stops are chosen to showcase New Zealand. Every Royal who has spoken about tours and every person who has spoken about accompanying Royals on tour have said that they are exhausting.
I would agree it is PR, for the country and for the Royals, which is undoubtedly why New Zealand invited them and the Queen asked them to go.

I read somewhere that internet searches for travel in New Zealand increased by 158% on the first day they were there.

^Well-said.

This tour looks exhausting to me- not remotely like a holiday.

Strict schedule, tons of obligations, world media following you everywhere- not at all relaxing.

Royal Visit NZ: Monday's agenda in ChCh:
The Duke and Duchess will fly to Christchurch today, where they will receive a traditional Maori welcome when they land at 10.35am.

They will embark on what's expected to be a long walk around Christchurch's Latimer Square from 11.30am.

At about 12.20pm they are scheduled to drive to the botanical gardens and open the visitors' centre garden soon after.

Kate and Will will have lunch and talk about the Christchurch redevelopment from 1.15pm..

Tomorrow will be a rest day for the royal couple before they fly to Australia on Wednesday.

We'll have all the highlights, pics and best bits of social media throughout the day.

- Nicky Park, Life & Style Editor
Live Blog: Royals in Dunedin - National - NZ Herald News

Live Video Coverage:
CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit the Christchurch Wall of Remembrance on their royal tour of New Zealand

Watch Reuters Live Online live at Livestation.com

The Royal Record ‏@TheRoyalRecord 6m
Will and Kate have left Queenstown for Christchurch, via @aaproyalvisit. Their first engagement is scheduled to start in 35 minutes.

Last edited:
Sadly, that live feed, for now is covering news of shootings this PM in Kansas City. :sad:

Last edited:
Poignant sight of 185 chairs, one for each person who died in the Christchurch earthquake, including a baby car seat pic.twitter.com/ojaPBjawHH

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4m
Kate's wearing red and black today because they're the colours of Canterbury - the region of New Zealand they're visiting in Christchurch.

A Maori greeting in Christchurch for William & Kate #RoyalvisitNZ via @Lacey_Wilson pic.twitter.com/JF0RM85XZt
William and Kate at the city council building pic.twitter.com/Mn9y7ymcZ8
The Duchess of Cambridge looks beautiful in Canterbury colours #RoyalTour pic.twitter.com/O9axBYS4cU

Last edited:
Poignant sight of 185 chairs, one for each person who died in the Christchurch earthquake, including a baby car seat pic.twitter.com/ojaPBjawHH

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4m
Kate's wearing red and black today because they're the colours of Canterbury - the region of New Zealand they're visiting in Christchurch.

A Maori greeting in Christchurch for William & Kate #RoyalvisitNZ via @Lacey_Wilson pic.twitter.com/JF0RM85XZt
William and Kate at the city council building pic.twitter.com/Mn9y7ymcZ8
The Duchess of Cambridge looks beautiful in Canterbury colours #RoyalTour pic.twitter.com/O9axBYS4cU
Very poignant picture indeed, especially the baby car seat.:sad:
Kate looks gorgeous today- one of the two best outfits so far in my opinion.

RT @bloggeratlarge: Sir Richard Hadlee running a little coaching sesh waiting for the royals#RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/4CnxCbpJpe
— Royal Central (@RoyalCentral) April 13, 2014

Royals arrive at CTV building-
"The Duke and Duchess have arrived at the site of the CTV building to greet more than 100 relatives of quake victims.

Despite screaming fans on arrival, it is a sombre atmosphere on the corner of Madras and Cashel Streets as the royals pay homage to those lost in the 2011 tragedy.

The relatives have fixed bouquets to a wire makeshift fence bordering the site, and many hold framed photos of their loved ones.

There is special wheelchair access for those injured in the quake to gain access to the site, that is surrounded by empty lots and new buildings - a familiar sight in the post-quake cityscape.

Police line the street and are visible on nearby rooftops, and crowds are also gathered down the roads leading to Latimer Square where Prince William and Kate will do a public walk around after the memorial.

The public are wrapped up warm in coats, scarves and thick jumpers to wait in the biting Christchurch cold this morning.

Many are wearing red, white and blue and waving Union Jack flags like crowds that have met the royals throughout the country over the last eight days."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Morgan Tait ‏@morgtait 1m
TRHs taking their time in the hilly wind to speak with each relative gathered at the CTV site #RoyalVisitNZ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom