Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for not showing off her legs, she most definitely did. She ditched the below the knee skirts/dresses a few years before the divorce.

That's why I said "when she was with Charles", but I may not have made myself clear. I meant when the marriage was still functioning, not when she was physically at the same place as Charles. She certainly started showing off her not inconsiderable attributes after the marriage had gone kaput.

Don't worry, the next non-controversy is just around the corner. :whistling: It's gonna be a long 3 weeks.
Yep. Three weeks on our turf under our scrutiny. She's bound to make some more blunders. It's a shame she seems to get little help from her husband. He should have carried George down those stairs.

Sigh. This is inaccurate, and these things happen to most of the royal ladies at some time or another. People are choosing to remember what they'd like to remember, and it's not accurate.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps

Fair point. As I said, I was not a fan of Diana and I did not buy women's magazines to see photos of her or seek out news footage of her on the TV because I really didn't care much for most of what she wore and wasn't interested in seeing her in those dowdy clothes she used to wear in the early years, so if the incidents were covered it is likely I didn't see those photos. Diana became a lot more interesting to me when the cracks in the marriage became apparent and she started to look pouty and bored in public. That coincided with her dressing in a way I found much more attractive and I started to pay more attention to her. And of course we didn't have the internet then to show us all her wardrobe malfunctions minutes after they happened.

I just hope something cool and interesting happens soon so that we can stop dwelling on Wind And How It Is A Thing That Shows Major Character Flaws.
I doubt she's going to do anything "cool and interesting". These people are not allowed to actually do anything controversial or to express personal opinions so we do not get a chance to see their major character flaws until their marriages founder and they start allowing people to write books about them and giving television interviews, we have to make our decisions based on what we do see, so when they allow themselves to be caught smiling and playing with their hair during extremely solemn ceremonies, conclusions are drawn.

Last edited:
"Miserable" Weather for Cambridge's Rest Day.

Hi Everyone,

I've just had a chance to catch up on some of the Austalian TV news reports - I'm recording a few.

It's going on for 4.00pm Tuesday here, so I guess that means it's early evening where W, C and PG are - I think Sydney is two hours behind Wellington.

All the reporters broadcasting back to Australia are saying the weather there today, the "rest" day, is much worse that yesterday's arrival day.

"Miserable", "blowing a gale" etc and the footage looks like Wellington Harbour is shrouded in mist/fog/low cloud.

All the reporters are under umbrellas and wrapped up.

One reporter said on air that she has had to go and buy thermal underwear.

This is a shame as apparently the Duke and Duchess had specifically chosen their "rest" day hideaway location based on their being a lot of "greenery", as they wanted to be able to get outdoors with little PG.

As there was no real "news" for today, we've been given a bit more detail about yesterday's plane change and activities - and a bit more footage and comments from those who met the Royal Couple.

One reporter said that the people - adults and school children alike - who performed and met the Duke and Duchess at Wellington's Government House yesterday were not allowed to have umbrellas. They all looked soaked to the skin and shivering when speaking on camera, but were full of excitment and really up about the experience.

Yes, Spheno and Skippyboo - all reports I saw yesterday and today's "fresh" crossovers spoke about the Queen's diamond and platinum fern brooch. We were told by all the reporters -I saw about six different ones, all female - about this piece of jewellery, it's origins and meaning.

One reporter - whether this was her take on things, or she was officially briefed - told us to be aware that this Tour was to contain a lot of "symbolism".

One reporter passed on some of the Duke and Duchess' comments to the children at the Government House ceremony.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Sigh. This is inaccurate, and these things happen to most of the royal ladies at some time or another.
I never saw some of these photos but they do go to show how the wind does affect us all at one time or another. I must admit though that Catherine's legs are quite stylish when compared to some of the others [according to my grandson] although I am sure that she doesn't do on purpose. I do remember once years ago that Princess Anne's dress went up over her waist on windy day and she was standing with her panties and part of her back exposed. Actually she had a lovely figure and it was commented on quite favorably.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I said "when she was with Charles", but I may not have made myself clear. I meant when the marriage was still functioning, not when she was physically at the same place as Charles. She certainly started showing off her not inconsiderable attributes after the marriage had gone kaput.

No I understood. I just don't think it matters whether the marriage was functioning, or it was kaput. She was still married and still representing the royal family. So while a member of the BRF, she did show off her "very fine attributes".

Yep. Three weeks on our turf under our scrutiny. She's bound to make some more blunders. It's a shame she seems to get little help from her husband. He should have carried George down those stairs.

Maybe Kate didn't want William to carry George down the stairs, or maybe George didn't want to be carried by his dad. I'm sure if she felt she couldn't maneuver down the stairs, she would have asked for (and received) his help.

There is no doubt that Kate will make some blunders in her lifetime, she's only human.

Just can't figure out *Why* the interest in the skirts flying? Now we all know what the human body looks like, no big deal there....skirts will fly when the wind blows regardless of who you are....
Now for Catherine carrying the baby, she acts like a mother it seems to me, she carries her baby and she did a great job doing so walking down the ramp............what's the big deal?:bang:

I am beginning to feel very sorry for Catherine, mostly her, and William for the thing is: Be damned it they do and be damned it they don't* ........let's not makes this a long *Negative* 3 weeks, this is to be informative and fun.

No-one is suggesting she can't carry her child down the stairs. Some people, however, are suggesting that she wasn't wise to do it in the prevailing weather conditions, wearing the clothes and shoes she was wearing, when the child's father, who was wearing stable footware and sensible clothes that weren't likely to be blown up and reveal his underwear, could have easily and quite properly carried his child to the bottom of the stairs and averted the possibility of his wife tripping in those heels and tumbling down the stairs with the child.

Perhaps shes rather proud of her obviously fine looking legs and doesnt give a toss if they are exposed because shes a young carefree woman who accepts that these sorts of things happen and they arent plan for. Perhaps she wore the dress because she liked it.
Perhaps Will was supposed to carry George but the baby stacked it and wanted mum instead.
To suggest that there are 'lessons' to be learnt from this experience is ridiculous.
I think that this says more about the sickos that take the pics with their lens trained on her crutch hoping for a puff of wind.

Even if you can see some of her undies what can you really see? nothing.
It still amazes me how uppity people get about Paparazzi snaps that are intended to invade and go beyond the boundaries of what is decent to publish or not why would you publish it?

So they didnt wave Im sure theyll be waving lots when its our turn.
I think some people just like to find the negative in everything :whistling:

I don't like to be told that my opinions are ridiculous, but I do concede that it is ridiculous to suggest there are lessons to be learnt from this. Kate has demonstrated that she doesn't learn from experience.

PG Delivers The Punch-Line In Today's Political Cartoon.

PG didn't make the front page of my Sydney newspaper today.

(He did in other states, but we've just had the end of a high-profile court case and that got it.)

But he did get to deliver the punch-line in today's political cartoon.

Sydney has been to-ing and fro-ing for decades, about building a second airport at a place called Badgery's Creek.

The cartoonist has drawn the Duke and Duchess ascending the Royal NZ Air Force plane with little PG looking back at us, and his nappy carrying the message "I'd rather land at Badgerys".

Also, reporters on TV today said it's not confirmed that PG will attend tomorrow's playgroup event, as the Duke and Duchess don't want to disappoint people by saying for sure that he will be going, and then he ends up being out of sorts and doesn't go.

The 6.00pm news has just shown the families, adults and babies, who will meet the Royals tomorrow and interviewed a few of them.

A booklet, "Well Child...Tamariki Ora...Health Book" was shown.

A copy of this is to be presented tomorrow.

It's a parenting book - in both English and the Maori language.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
To talk about something else for a moment. ;)

How is this visit being covered in New Zealand?
What's the word on the street?
I ask because I understand that the popularity of the BRF is going down, or perhaps rather out, in New Zealand.

I do of course realise that the visit has hardly started yet, but how is the trio recieved so far?
With more or less indifference?
Nice to be visited by our British cousins attitude?
Or are people genuinely pleased with being visited by their royal family?

You understand what I mean?

Last edited:
Hi Muhler...

Hi Muhler,

I wish I could say -

I saw an interesting clip on the internet from a NZ TV show where the presenter said don't judge the crowd size as meaning much, as the weather is keeping people away.

Also, yesterday's Ceremonial Welcome and tomorrow's Plunket Playgroup events were not open to the public, but invitation only.

Certainly the media interest is very high.

At least four Australian TV channels have on the ground reporters there broadcasting back and we're getting live coverage as things happen.

Updates throughout the day on all the breakfast and news - day and evening - shows.

Certainly there will be plenty of people not noticing they're here - my husband for one! :lol:

I haven't told him yet that I may like to get a look in real life when they are in Sydney - see how that goes when the time comes.

I think people would be a bit put out if they didn't Tour - after going to Canada, US, Asia and the South Pacific.

They had to come really after being to those places.

Best Wishes to you and all the lovely Danish Thread Posters, Sun Lion.

I don't like to be told that my opinions are ridiculous, but I do concede that it is ridiculous to suggest there are lessons to be learnt from this. Kate has demonstrated that she doesn't learn from experience.

I bet you don´t like it ... {edit JessRulz - remove personal attack}That´s sad, but obviously not reversable...
The Duchesses appearance yesterday was impeccable, in my opinion. She dealt with climate circumstances as best as one could.
In fact I liked it much better than Charles and Diana did it 31 years ago: Diana in a simple leisure-time dress, William being carried by his nanny behind.
Catherine was very elegantly dressed and carried her son herself (yes, William could have carried him as well. But he didn´t. And who gets the blame? Kate, of course!)
So, if you WANT to find something negative, you´ll always be successful! I just wished that some people here were just a bit honest and simply admit that they don´t like Pr. Williams wife! If one doesn´t like a person, no one is able to be objective - that´s simply not possible!

...It still amazes me how uppity people get about Paparazzi snaps that are intended to invade and go beyond the boundaries of what is decent to publish or not why would you publish it?
Very, very well put, thank you! I couldn´t agree more on how hypocritical celebrity-photos these days are being consumed by the public!
Sometimes I´m wishing back the old days where one just could enjoy royal events and photographs without the dirt being poured upon it by others!

What is the point of arriving and then to disappear for 48 hours? Starting the tour and breaking it takes the momentum away, but of course these two are not the most PR-savy people on the planet.

For God sake the BRF are only human..leave them be, we are lucky that they visiting us! and bringing us joy.....I dislike people that are jealous of their status and display this publically, if we didn't have royals we wouldn't have this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
For God sake the BRF are only human..leave them be, we are lucky that they visiting us! and bringing us joy.....I dislike people that are jealous of their status and display this publically, if we didn't have royals we wouldn't have this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, debrann! Also agree on your post.
I come to the conclusion this board is a madhouse!

We all seem to think that William and Catherine, if they´d ever bother to visit a forum like this, would ever care or give the slightest damn about what we have to say! Even the thought of it makes me laugh....:lol:

Thank you, Sun Lion. :)

Your input are always appreciated.

I've had a look at New Zealand and it's Maori culture, but there are a few things I couldn't find the answers to, perhaps someone here can help?
And I ask because I genuinely wish to learn about New Zealand. (Frankly, I don't care if Kate flashed the crowd for three nano-seconds. If anyone was flashed yesterday it sure was Kate! :p).

Anyway, to my astonishment I've learned that New Zealand has abolished its combat fighter capabillity. Does, that mean that Australian fighters cover New Zealand airspace?

I understand that the Maori warrior culture has been adopted by the armed forces to some extent, as we saw yesterday.
How much has the Maori culture and costums taken up in New Zealand in general?
I understand the Maoris constitute some 15% of the population. But how about the rest? Is the Maori culture one, more or less secondary, part of the national heritage or is it a significant part of the New Zealand national identity?
In other words is it fashionable to be Maori?

- To explain: The Viking heritage is a part of my national and cultural identity, even though few, if any, of my ancestors would have been genuine Vikings.
That's what I'm getting at when I ask about the Maori influence.
Because I've also heard the New Zealanders being described as more English than the English.

Last edited:
What is the point of arriving and then to disappear for 48 hours? Starting the tour and breaking it takes the momentum away, but of course these two are not the most PR-savy people on the planet.

Recovering from JetLag?
BYe Bine

I do not know the reason for the duke and duchess to 'disappear' for 48 hours, but I do know that during state visits to other continents Queen Beatrix sometimes would fly there in advance, take a day or two to get rid of the jetlag /get used the climate, and after that start the visits fresh and energized. The last time this happened was during the state visits to Brunei and Singapore in 2013. During longer visits she usually took one or two days off in the middle too, as do WA and Máxima.

We can be sure that the programme has been decided by Foreign Affairs / the palace and that the duke and duchess had little say in it. TBH, the momentum is whenever the duke and duchess appear, now, in two days or in two weeks. They have enough media presence while they are young to warrent a high interest in their visits. When they get middle aged I suppose it will fade, life can be cruel ;).

Last edited:
I bet you don´t like it ...
{edit JessRulz} That´s sad, but obviously not reversable...
The Duchesses appearance yesterday was impeccable, in my opinion. She dealt with climate circumstances as best as one could.
In fact I liked it much better than Charles and Diana did it 31 years ago: Diana in a simple leisure-time dress, William being carried by his nanny behind.
Catherine was very elegantly dressed and carried her son herself (yes, William could have carried him as well. But he didn´t. And who gets the blame? Kate, of course!)
So, if you WANT to find something negative, you´ll always be successful! I just wished that some people here were just a bit honest and simply admit that they don´t like Pr. Williams wife! If one doesn´t like a person, no one is able to be objective - that´s simply not possible!

As things stand, these people expect to one day be my King - my Head of State - and his consort. I sincerely hope that before that day comes my country is a Republic, and we no longer have to endure having foreigners as our representatives on the world stage. But until that day comes his grandmother is my monarch and one day his father - whom I do like and respect - will be my monarch and I reserve the right to think and say whatever the hell I want to think and say about them. And you're actually quite right in one respect: I hold William and his wife in fairly low regard. No surprises there. I had high hopes for her because she had a university education and I expected her to actually contribute something substantial and not just her ova, but I am finding her very disappointing. Diana had far less education but, in my opinion, had far more substance.

I hope the royals will continue to have a presence in New Zealand and Australia and I think Their Royal Highnesses The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge will make a fine King & Queen someday.

I hope the royals will continue to have a presence in New Zealand and Australia and I think Their Royal Highnesses The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge will make a fine King & Queen someday.

They might, but I hope to hell they are not king and consort (for she will never be Queen of Australia for we don't have that role in our Constitution) of my country.

I'm just saying that no matter what happens in the future, I hope the royals will continue to visit great places like New Zealand and Australia.

Despite the war for independence, the ties between America and the United Kingdom will forever be strong and we always welcome the British royals here in America. Many of us Americans love the British royal family.

Okay, that is more than ENOUGH.

If you cannot be respectful of others' opinions, or accept that not everyone has the same opinion as you, please take a break from this thread - or forum - until you can control yourselves. That goes to those on all sides of the spectrum - positive, negative, whatever.

If this thread continues with the personal attacks, the culprits may find themselves with their posting privileges suspended for the duration of the tour.

JessRulz
TRF Admin

Thanks JessRulz... I checked in this morning to see if there was any real news...

It is 1am right now in Wellington so nothing will be going on right now. George's baby playgroup is in the afternoon in NZ so it will be in the middle of the night in UK and late evening for the East coast of the US and Canada.

If my calculations are correct, it should be 9:00 PM (CST-TX) for the playgroup event!! Can't wait to see PG with the other children...

understand that the Maori warrior culture has been adopted by the armed forces to some extent, as we saw yesterday.
How much has the Maori culture and costums taken up in New Zealand in general?
I understand the Maoris constitute some 15% of the population. But how about the rest? Is the Maori culture one, more or less secondary, part of the national heritage or is it a significant part of the New Zealand national identity?
In other words is it fashionable to be Maori?
That's what I'm getting at when I ask about the Maori influence.
Because I've also heard the New Zealanders being described as more English than the English.
Well, this is not an exact fit, but someone posted this link on Twitter and I remembered your interest:
Duchess of Cambridge and the meaning of the Maori warrior's tattoo | World news | theguardian.com

From British Royals's Twitter

Prince George's first public engagement with @PlunketNZ will be Wednesday 3pm NZ time (4am London, 11pm New York, 8pm LA) #RoyalVisitNZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom