Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ He arrived in Sydney wearing some sort of warm-looking, limb-covering, outfit that nevertheless allowed people to see his face. No excuse for him being scantily dressed in New Zealand.

Probably a onesie similar to what he wore enroute would have served the purpose.

By the look on her face upon stepping out from the plane, she looked really surprised at how cold and windy it really was. I think George's legs looked a bit "mottly" from the cold, but until you have really experienced Wellington, you don't really know these things. Also I would imagine her shoes would have been slightly wet from the damp ground after their Maori welcome.

That kid's used to the cold wind and rain. He lives in England, after all. And he did have warm sweater on - no worse than a girl in a dress this time of year. He didn't seem to care, I'll bet he's too confused to notice the cold at this point.

I wanted to like Kate's outfit, but frankly, she looked like a fight attendant from days gone by. :p

...He was outside for maybe 2 minutes max. I think he was ok.
Seriously. This is such a non-issue.

He looked fine. He wasn't upset or crying or fussy and he looked comfortable.

The child has not only his parents, but his own security and nanny and entourage.

Spare a thought for the millions of kids the world over who are cold, hungry, poorly-clothed, etc, and don't spend too much time worrying about a baby who is far more than adequately looked after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think it would have been ok if the nanny took George down the stairs or at least William did. they are there to shake hands and do work, having to shlep a baby on your hip at the same time, a big, energetic one, that smacks of superwoman I think.

I really think it would have been ok if the nanny took George down the stairs or at least William did. they are there to shake hands and do work, having to shlep a baby on your hip at the same time, a big, energetic one, that smacks of superwoman I think.

I think the headlines would have been ugly if the first glimpse of George had been in the nanny's arms, rather than with his parents.

Plus, like others have pointed out- that was a long flight and he was probably exhausted, so being carried by his mother might have been the best way to prevent him from getting fussy.

Kare had enough of a challenge getting down those steps, worrying about her hat, her dress lifting in the wind, the wet steps....

Exactly! She should not have had to worry about all those things at all! Where are her assistants to avoid that situation (get her prepared to face the difficulties)? Not that she or they did not know what was coming...

Last edited:
Exactly! She should not have had to worry about all those things at all! Where are her assistants to avoid that situation (get her prepared to face the difficulties)? Not that she or them did not know what was coming...

Considering that the greeting went successfully and no mishaps occurred, it's safe to assume the Cambridges and their staff were
prepared.

yes, despite her hair getting loose, the hem of the coat and dress getting up and not beeing able to hold the hand rail (as her husband did), everything else went smooth :whistling:

In hindsight, William should probably have carried George off the plane, but hindsight's a wonderful thing.

And people would have criticised her for not carrying her own son and that she such a bad mother ... blah , blah , blah . She can't win this .

I think Kate did very well coming down the stairs carrying her son, leave her alone she is George's mother and I think she wants to be close to him as much as she can considering she is part of the BRF, good on her and Kate, Wills and George welcome to Kiwiland:flowers:

yes, despite her hair getting loose, the hem of the coat and dress getting up and not beeing able to hold the hand rail (as her husband did), everything else went smooth :whistling:

She didn't slip or trip, her hair would have blown in the wind no matter what, and her dress didn't blow up far enough to be indecent or look inappropriate.

It really was fine.

I never knew leaving an airplane could trigger so much debate. Goodness me are people seriously suggesting she can't carry her own son down the stairs. And as for what George is wearing. I am sure that two minutes outside in mild conditions won't bother him a bit.

I think my favorite one was George sitting with Grumpy Great Granny at the Olympic opening ceremony. :lol:

I never knew leaving an airplane could trigger so much debate. Goodness me are people seriously suggesting she can't carry her own son down the stairs.

No-one is suggesting she can't carry her child down the stairs. Some people, however, are suggesting that she wasn't wise to do it in the prevailing weather conditions, wearing the clothes and shoes she was wearing, when the child's father, who was wearing stable footware and sensible clothes that weren't likely to be blown up and reveal his underwear, could have easily and quite properly carried his child to the bottom of the stairs and averted the possibility of his wife tripping in those heels and tumbling down the stairs with the child.

It was delightful to see Prince George sitting on top of the wall and also seated on the bicycle seat!!
Those were all priceless.
I imagine William and Kate would get a laugh out of it too

...if it was me, my baby would have also had a hat on, as well as a blanket to cover him.
Your baby was obviously better behaved than mine, any time I plopped a hat on his head he promptly grabbed it and threw it as far as he could at that age.

66 degrees is not cold

Babies who are exposed a bit to the elements are generally healthier than those who are always indoors, or wrapped up, or overdressed. My son was a November baby in a cold winter, and he seldom had anything heavier than a light blanket thrown around him when I took him the 20 steps from house to car, and never even had a cold until he was nearly two years old. Of course when we took him out to play he was dressed in a liittle hooded snowsuit....(mother begins to weep in wistful memory of that adorable little baby:)) And now as an adult, he camps out in the snow in the Rocky Mountains. George looks like a bold little chap to me.

I'm happy to have so many great pictures of George! He's one of the cutest babies I've seen in awhile. I think he looks more like Kate and her father, but I did laugh at some of the photos where his "grumpy" face is very similar to that of QEII. :)

Hope the family is able to rest up… I'm really looking forward to this tour!

True, even if William carrying him down the steps would have been a better idea.

No-one is suggesting she can't carry her child down the stairs. Some people, however, are suggesting that she wasn't wise to do it in the prevailing weather conditions, wearing the clothes and shoes she was wearing, when the child's father, who was wearing stable footware and sensible clothes that weren't likely to be blown up and reveal his underwear, could have easily and quite properly carried his child to the bottom of the stairs and averted the possibility of his wife tripping in those heels and tumbling down the stairs with the child.
Have to be honest, there was a moment there at the top of the steps when I thought she was going to lose George.

...It's not the end of the world but as one of the most photographed woman in the world, she should have known a little better. Otherwise i think she looked fantastic in this very regal outfit.
Yes indeed she has been caught out again. It is really starting to get more than a little old and surprisingly she has learnt nothing from her own past wardrobe malfunction experiences. Catherine and her Marilyn Munro moments are getting a tiny bit tacky I'm afraid.

Beat me, shoot me, put me on 'Ignore", it still doesn't alter the fact that the wife of the second in line to the throne is either thick as a plank or vain about how good her legs look.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe George was fussing and that Catherine was the only one who could sooth him? Babies usually rule the roost.

Beat me, shoot me, put me on 'Ignore", it still doesn't alter the fact that the wife of the second in line to the throne is either thick as a plank or vain about how good her legs look.

Or you know, wind is a thing that exists.

One of the three, surely.

I really like how the kids and the people who got to meet the Cambridge's during the welcoming ceremonies focused on the real stuff. They were delighted to meet William & Catherine and the officials who met George. They all were battling the heavy winds and their clothing were going all over the place, luckily, nobody (including Catherine) flashed anything or became too embarrassed.

All this noise about the wind showing a little leg from Catherine is just nonsense. It happens folks. It happened to The Queen and many other royal ladies. Catherine is no different. None of them really make a big fuss over a little gust of wind. None of them like it happening but it happens.

Or both. :rolleyes:

These days I regularly find myself in the extraordinary situation of citing Diana as an example of how Kate should be behaving. I say "extraordinary" because I was not a fan of Diana, but I will give kudos where it's due, and Diana would not have made this sort of blunder. She learned her lesson after the sun-behind-the-skirt photo very early on and never repeated it. She had good legs but while she was with Charles she wore appropriate clothes and didn't make a point of showing off her very fine attributes. Diana might have had some personality problems and I believe she made a lot of errors of judgment in respect of her personal life, but when it came to her public life she demonstrated that she possessed that intangible quality that can't be taught in a university: class.

Last edited:
...being carried by his mother might have been the best way to prevent him from getting fussy.
You are so correct. A baby that young will go from angel like state to full blown tantrum in seconds so the best place is in mom's arms. That is where they usually feels the safest.

Actually, Diana had several wardrobe mishaps due to the wind.

As for not showing off her legs, she most definitely did. She ditched the below the knee skirts/dresses a few years before the divorce.

I just hope something cool and interesting happens soon so that we can stop dwelling on Wind And How It Is A Thing That Shows Major Character Flaws.

Don't worry, the next non-controversy is just around the corner. :whistling: It's gonna be a long 3 weeks.

Last edited:
...Diana would not have made this sort of blunder.
Diana also suffered from windy situations too. Yes, Diana had a great deal of class but so does her daughter-in-law.

Diana went through this stuff on several occasions as well. Just because these ladies dresses blow in the wind and a little leg is shown, does not mean they are classless, haven't learned they're lessons or just want to show they're legs off. Sometimes the wind get the best of their wardrobe and they have to fight through it. Over the years, the royal ladies have had hats blow off, shirts blow in the wind and even they've been pushed by the strong winds. It just somethings that happens from time to time.

The polite thing is to ignore it

I was always taught, by my genteel Southern mamma, that it was rude and unkind to point out a person's embarrassing moments.

I once (at least!) had occasion to be thankful that other people thought that way also: When meeting my then-boyfriend's parents for the first time, and being rather grandly dressed for an occasion- just as I shook hands, the elastic in my black silk unmentionables broke and they fell to my ankles. The parents pretended to be admiring a painting (on their own wall) so that I could retreat and retrieve.

That probably wasn't my most embarrassing moment, but it was certainly the most memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom