Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She only had to google the city to find out its nickname and that wind is a feature of that city. She had every chance to find out - if she was at all interested in finding out anything about the places she is going to visit.

That is an excuse I wouldn't accept from a Year 3 (8 year old student) these days let along a representative of a foreign country who has had issues with her dresses flying up before.

The very minimum preparation she should have done is look into the vagaries of the weather in each place she will visit and prepare accordingly - she failed to do so it seems and more excuses are being made for her failures.

'no way of knowing' is far from the truth - 'no interest in knowing' - that seems to be closer to what has happened.

She had so much potential but has so far done nothing with it. I keep hoping that she will prove herself but again and again she fails to do the right thing.

Stop pretending Catherine has caused WW 3!
Her dress has flown up a bit for a second - so what?! There are heavy winds causing EVERY dress to fly up. The dress and the coat seem to be of a rather thick texture (it´s not a thin summer dress), so she has done everything to prevend it from flying up. But the winds on the tarmac were even too heavy for that. And yes, we HAVE seen the same thing happening to the Queen once or twice, too!

I think it was a great performance by the whole of the Cambridge family, happy and dignified as always!
I wish them every success (and fun!) for this royal tour!

Our Aussie republicans (Iluvbertie) are at it again. pay no attention to them, they like to think their criticisms are valid.

I'm sorry but that's an incredible rude and completely out of line comment. Nobody's opinions should be completely ignored or their criticisms declared invalid because people disagree with them.

This is an opinion based forum, if we stuck to the facts and left opinons alone the post count in the threads would be much much lower. Conversation happens when opinions are offered and to completely discount a persons opinion means the conversation with eventually stop dead.

iluvberties opinions are shared by many, including myself, if posters would like to put other posters on ignore because their comments aren't all complimentary, nicey nicey then feel free but that will make for a sickly sweet forum where reality will just be ignored.

Nobody has used abusive language, nobody has done this vs that and it should stay that way. The posters who are getting aggresive because some people offered a different opinion should take a step back else this is going to escalate and no doubt this thread will be closed periodically thoughout the 3 week tour which is of no use to anyone.

The Duchess is radiant in red,wonder what the weather is like in New Zealand at the moment?

The Cambridges were met with cold, wet and windy weather. Current temp is 19'C and is due to stay around the same for the next few days. Looks like rain Tues, Wed, Thurs and then sun Fri and Sat. :flowers:

The Cambridges were met with cold, wet and windy weather. Current temp is 19'C and is due to stay around the same for the next few days. Looks like rain Tues, Wed, Thurs and then sun Fri and Sat. :flowers:

Thanks Lumutqueen :flowers:

19C is not too bad,keep forgetting its autumn down under!

Thanks Lumutqueen :flowers:

19C is not too bad,keep forgetting its autumn down under!

I was discussing this with my mum this morning because we watched the news of the missing Malaysian aeroplane which is always reported from Perth and it looks stunning there! Even their autumn is better than our Spring! :lol:

Stop pretending Catherine has caused WW 3!
Her dress has flown up a bit for a second - so what?! There are heavy winds causing EVERY dress to fly up. The dress and the coat seem to be of a rather thick texture (it´s not a thin summer dress), so she has done everything to prevend it from flying up. But the winds on the tarmac were even too heavy for that. And yes, we HAVE seen the same thing happening to the Queen once or twice, too!

I think it was a great performance by the whole of the Cambridge family, happy and dignified as always!
I wish them every success (and fun!) for this royal tour!

Here, here!!

George looks like William in the face, particularly the top half, but with softened angles...he's going to be striking when he's older.

LaRae

George baby is soo cute he has the most chubby face. :flowers:

I'm sorry but that's an incredible rude and completely out of line comment. Nobody's opinions should be completely ignored or their criticisms declared invalid because people disagree with them.

No, I´m sorry I have to agree with Rudolph, that this poster seems always to be negative only for the cause of negativity!

This is an opinion based forum, if we stuck to the facts and left opinons alone the post count in the threads would be much much lower. Conversation happens when opinions are offered and to completely discount a persons opinion means the conversation with eventually stop dead.

I can´t see why it would be an disadvantage if the thread´s post counts were lower?! I can only speak for myself, but I´m much more interested in royal photos or video clips than "opinions" of people I do not know!

iluvberties opinions are shared by many, including myself, if posters would like to put other posters on ignore because their comments aren't all complimentary, nicey nicey then feel free but that will make for a sickly sweet forum where reality will just be ignored.

Well, nasty comments aren´t necassarily "Reality"...

Nobody has used abusive language, nobody has done this vs that and it should stay that way. The posters who are getting aggresive because some people offered a different opinion should take a step back else this is going to escalate and no doubt this thread will be closed periodically thoughout the 3 week tour which is of no use to anyone.

No, nobody used abusive language. But you still can be mean and negative in a disguised kind of way, you can even destroy a person without using abusive words.

Last edited:
No, nobody used abusive language. But you still can be mean and negative in a disguised kind of way, you can even destroy a person without using abusive words.

I think you need to go back and look at the post, there seems to be a mix between what I've written and your reply. I think there are some missing [/QUOTE] bits at the end of each section.

thank you!
Was her brooch noticed?

I noticed the brooch. I shouted out it is the Queen's fern as I watched the live feed. It was a nice touch just like the maple leaf brooch in Canada. The red dress really stood out when they got to government house which the photographers had to love.

George's cardigan had little guardsmen on his right pocket area but it was hard to see since Kate's hand covered it most of the time.

I was glad they were able to land safely at the airport instead of having to go to the Air Force base and drive 2 hrs back to Wellington.

For goodness sake!

Day 1 and this thread already looks like its going to be a LONG LONG three weeks!

Yes, its possible to have a discussion with positive and negative comments as long as its civil and not personal. What isn't necessary is 2 or more pages about TRF posters instead of the actual topic of the thread, the Cambridges in New Zealand and Australia.

Let's stay on topic.

If a skirt flying up more than once is, apparently, "unforgivable" (what a preposterous idea), then the first for the chop is clearly, Queen Elizabeth II:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/13/article-2129545-12940F97000005DC-48_306x956.jpg

On the left here, along with several other royal ladies:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC0/TT-KPLjmcKI/AAAAAAAABYo/20BVOZXp-z0/s1600/Wind.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/01/article-1372229-0B70529D00000578-52_306x423.jpg

To clarify, the Queen does NOT always have weights in her dresses. I read an interview once with either Karl Ludwig or Stewart Parvin (don't have time to go searching for it right now) about dressing the Queen, and he was asked about always putting weights in the Queen's dresses and coats. He said that was a myth, some outfits do get weights added, but a lot of HM's outfits would be ruined by adding weights.

Kate was wearing quite a long style for her today, the fabric was not particularly light, the issue she had was that she didn't have enough hands at the moment to do everything she needed to do. In hindsight, William should probably have carried George off the plane, but hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Plus, Kate has the most fabulous legs. I'm always glad (and a little bit jealous) to see them!

Last edited:
I loved Kate's outifit but with that hat she reminded me of a stewardess :)

Poor Catherine - hair, hat, baby, high heels, wet stairs and then such wind, and the long coat and shorter dress didn't have a chance -

I've just caught up with a morning TV news show that I had recorded, and in the second of the two crossovers to the reporter in NZ, this channel actually played the duchess' coat and dress flying up to reveal her underclothes in slow motion :sad:.

(Bad enough at real time speed, not necessary to be broadcast like that.)

Sun Lion.

Personally, I think Kate does this as a silent nod to all those chorines Will's male ancestors kept hidden behind the scenes. Or, some not-so-hidden. :p So much for those carefully sewn weights.

If a skirt flying up more than one is, apparently, "unforgivable" (what a preposterous idea), then the first for the chop is clearly, Queen Elizabeth II:[

It's not unforgivable but rather surprising for a supposed highly trained Princess to be caught , again, in such posture :

Kate caught out again! Duchess of Cambridge's skirt flies up as she juggles baby George and holds onto her hat in windy Wellington | Mail Online

It's not the end of the world but as one of the most photographed woman in the world, she should have known a little better.

Otherwise i think she looked fantastic in this very regal outfit.

Kate looked amazing! I love everything about her outfit!

George is just beyond cute! It will be great weeks to observe this sweet family

And everyone, please, be nicer amd more respectful to each other :flowers::)

There will be media coverage of the baby group but the public can't show up and watch.

Prince George is adorable and I'm glad that we got a lot of photos of the Cambridge's arrival in the end. George also seems to be quite a curious and alert baby, which just adds to his cuteness. I particularly like these photos: One, Two and Three. :)
Some articles regarding the tour from The Daily Mail and The Telegraph, apologies for any reposts:

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge begin New Zealand and Australia tour with Prince George | Mail Online
By George, he's a looker...and it's all in the genes. The young prince and the photos that show he's the image of his parents | Mail Online
Prince George gets kangaroo backpack on brief stop in Sydney | Mail Online
Royal tour: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George arrive in Wellington - Telegraph

It's not unforgivable but rather surprising for a supposed highly trained Princess to be caught , again, in such posture :

Kate caught out again! Duchess of Cambridge's skirt flies up as she juggles baby George and holds onto her hat in windy Wellington | Mail Online

It's not the end of the world but as one of the most photographed woman in the world, she should have known a little better.

Otherwise i think she looked fantastic in this very regal outfit.

Given how windy it appeared to be, the only alternative that would have 100% protected her modesty was a pair of trousers. Imagine the outrage if she had arrived in NZ in a pair of trousers.

Given how windy it appeared to be, the only alternative that would have 100% protected her modesty was a pair of trousers. Imagine the outrage if she had arrived in NZ in a pair of trousers.

But why is that? Trousers would have been the most sensible item of clothing for her to wear. She's so thin she'd have looked terrific in trousers.

If a skirt flying up more than one is, apparently, "unforgivable" (what a preposterous idea), then the first for the chop is clearly, Queen Elizabeth II:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/13/article-2129545-12940F97000005DC-48_306x956.jpg

On the left here, along with several other royal ladies:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC0/TT-KPLjmcKI/AAAAAAAABYo/20BVOZXp-z0/s1600/Wind.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/01/article-1372229-0B70529D00000578-52_306x423.jpg

To clarify, the Queen does NOT always have weights in her dresses. I read an interview once with either Karl Ludwig or Stewart Parvin (don't have time to go searching for it right now) about dressing the Queen, and he was asked about always putting weights in the Queen's dresses and coats. He said that was a myth, some outfits do get weights added, but a lot of HM's outfits would be ruined by adding weights.

Kate was wearing quite a long style for her today, the fabric was not particularly light, the issue she had was that she didn't have enough hands at the moment to do everything she needed to do. In hindsight, William should probably have carried George off the plane, but hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Plus, Kate has the most fabulous legs. I'm always glad (and a little bit jealous) to see them!

It always goes to show that it's just something that happens every now and then. It's not something that the royal ladies like or don't know any better, like some are saying. Sometimes the wind do it's thing and everyone just have to deal with it. Have all the weights you want in a dress, mother nature will show you a thing or two when it gets ready.

Exactly!

As pictures haves have shown, more senior Royal ladies have been caught by wind perhaps we should cut Kate some slack. The picture of Queen Elizabeth II appears to be from the 70's or 80's. So I would imagine having been in the public eye....I don't know all of her life....she should have known better. But it happens.....and you move on.

My point is....everyone has a bad wind day....its been known to happen to Zonk once or twice:whistling:

But why is that? Trousers would have been the most sensible item of clothing for her to wear. She's so thin she'd have looked terrific in trousers.

Roslyn...have you visited the Letizia fashion threads?! She rocks pants all of the time. Sometimes its a nice pants suits...and sometimes its not. And we definitely hear from those who wouldn't mind her showing up in a nice dress or two. You can't please everyone!

But we won't go off topic too much.

Last edited:
Well its obvious that Catherine should have dropped George and held her skirt down.

I don´t understand why there is such a discussion about the Duchess of Cambridge skirt and legs! I think she behaved very well. She had George in her arms, she had high heels, she had to down the stairs...the last of her worries was the skirt!

So...changing the subject...George was really a cutie and behaved quite well! Seems to be a happy and energetic baby! I´m looking forward to see him again!

Having seen the video footage of the arrival and alighting from the aircraft, I can honestly say that Catherine looked as elegant and regal as ever. Yes, twice or three times the wind caught Catherine's hem for a second or so as she was coming down the steps, but frankly the whole issue is quite unnoticeable unless one seeks to view nano-second snapshot stills.
To be honest, I think all this fuss perpetuated by some very fussy forum members and a rather common newspaper is unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom