Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too shabby!:lol: that fast boat tour they are going on - Brave people!

Both Admiralty House and Kirribilli House are open to the public one day a year.

Where as Kirribilli House is more along the lines of having charm and character, Admiralty House is stunning with grand staircases and stained-glass windows, (of ships, anchors and naval things - I remember lots of red, years since I got a look inside).

Yes not too shabby - and a quick commute to many of the places the Duke and Duchess have to be while in Sydney.

Sun Lion.

Have to agree with you cepe. I believe that attitudes will change as the tour date approaches. If people have the opportunity to go to see them then likely they'll make the effort. I recall discussing the then upcoming London Olympic Games with some British posters. The vast majority were rather negative about the traffic, tourists, security etc...Having been through a similar situation during the 1984 Los Angeles Games, I reassured them that their outlook was likely to change a few days before the event. ;) Once the Opening Ceremonies took place they were very excited and proud that their nation was hosting.

Sydney had the same expressions of negativity regarding the traffic, tourists, security, parts being closed down, etc., when the Olympics where here in 2000 TLLK.

But in our case, they actually did all leave town! :lol:

Sydney has never functioned so easy-peasy as it did for those two weeks.

(No-one is going to leave Sydney to escape W and C though - won't be on the same scale.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

I was not attempting to be negative why do you count an honest observation as a negative. I don't see the point of pretending that people other than those on this board care about the royal houses in any country. Yes maybe as Sun Lion pointed out it is because Perth is not part of the tour. However it is just a reality, most people have a life, money worries, family issues to concern themselves with a royal tour. If it makes an ounce of difference I am personally looking forward to the tour.

I'm looking forward to it too Eden - that's why I'm sitting here posting away when I should be getting real-life things done! :lol:

Anyway, yes, I totally agree with you.

All the "buzz" about the Royal Tour is coming from the media - who have to have a product to sell - not from the general public, family members, work-mates etc.

This has flared up because the itinerary came out, so there was something to report.

We will all be saturated in W and C and little G by the Tour's end - but it won't "mean" much, if anything, to people's everyday lives.

As soon as it's over, it will be forgotten. (Though the women's mags will carry it on for a week or two more.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

This trip will hi-light a lot of places that I would like to visit. NZ and Australia should use it to promote tourism.

Sydney had the same expressions of negativity regarding the traffic, tourists, security, parts being closed down, etc., when the Olympics where here in 2000 TLLK.

But in our case, they actually did all leave town! :lol:

Sydney has never functioned so easy-peasy as it did for those two weeks.

(No-one is going to leave Sydney to escape W and C though - won't be on the same scale.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.
LOL My sister left Atlanta during the Olympics in 1996. Have to say that L.A.'s traffic was actually pretty light during the Games.;)

This trip will hi-light a lot of places that I would like to visit. NZ and Australia should use it to promote tourism.

Hi Grandma828,

It would be good if anyone was inspired to visit, but I don't think W and C will have much affect on Australia's tourism industry.

Over the last couple of years a lot of locals realised they could go to the US and do lots of cheap shopping - when our dollar was worth more than yours - instead of holidaying locally.

And lots of foreign tourists stopped visiting Oz as the high Australian dollar also meant a lot of prices were too high for them to be able to afford to come here like they used to.

(This will eventually change though - no boom lasts forever.)

Cheer, Sun Lion.

The money spent on this tour is probably less than what the govt paid for Oprah to come and do her show down under. ;)

The money spent on this tour is probably less than what the govt paid for Oprah to come and do her show down under. ;)

You could well be right with that Skippyboo - and despite all the "noise" about Oprah's visit, I think the outcome was no particular improvement for our tourism industry.

(Also, Oprah did herself no favours locally with her complaining about the helicopters when atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge - very ungracious of her.

Some of the lucky attendees, who got the free trip with her, didn't seem to appreciate it - I ran into a lot of them one day down at Circular Quay - but maybe it was more about Oprah for some, than it was about a trip to Oz, so I'll cut them some slack if they didn't like what they saw here.)

It might be quite an economical Royal Tour for the Duke and Duchess, as no-one is trying to cover the length and breadth of the continent this time.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

My friends spent a whole month in Australia one year and a month in New Zealand the following year. I always wished I had the money to really explore the world and all the interesting cultures. It would be such an education.

First Photos of Duchess In Front Of Sydney Opera House - So Now I Can Relax.

Hi All,

I've just been up the shops and seen the first pictures of the Duchess of Cambridge in front of the Sydney Opera House.

Well now I can relax about the upcoming Royal Tour - this is the iconic Aussie shot and I've seen it. :lol:

And very nice it is too.

The editor/s have Catherine in an outfit that goes very well with the famous building - and all with a glorious sunshine blue Australian sky.

(Which might be better than the actual weather by the time they are here in the middle of Autumn.)

Good on you "Hello" to trump all the other magazines with this.

(Prince William and Prince George also get the Opera House treatment on the inside pages.)

I think this upcoming Royal Visit must be a godsend for the magazine and media industry.

Still some time off, and yet such coverage where-ever I turn.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Little Prince George to Meet George The Crocodile!

Today's Northern Territory newspaper's front page - shown on several TV channels here in Sydney this morning - is about little Prince George being set to meet George the crocodile when he visits NT on the Royal Tour.

Hope PG is not caught napping during these official occasions, with George the Bilby at Taronga and now George the croc up north :lol:.

Sun Lion.

We Are So Getting Into This Royal Visit In Oz...

...The Duchess of Cambrige also made the papers today - this time Sydney's.

Most of the Fashion Confidential page is given over to a discussion of Catherine's hair, under the heading "Tizz over Kate's frizz for tour Down Under"

Three of Sydney's higher-end hair stylists have each got to give their opinion about how Catherine can avoid the "frizzy hair" she succumbed to when in Borneo, Malaysia and Queensland in 2011.

The report says "speculation she is planning a hair makeover is starting to build".

(Is it? I didn't know. :lol:)

Two photos of Catherine, one with smooth hair - "tended to by royal-standard mane-tamers" - and frizzy hair - which I personally think looks very nice.

I told you it's getting so we can't turn around here without Royal Tour info everywhere, despite weeks yet to go.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

And P.S. That Queensland humidity must be bad - put in with Borneo and Malaysia, but she only changed planes there, so look out for the Brisbane and NT legs of the Tour when C will actually be outdoors in it all.

Last edited:
If PG is going to be caught napping, I hope it's by George the Bilby and not George the croc. :D

:lol: You made me laugh Roslyn - and GracieGiraffe the other day about Catherine keeping her head on her shoulders.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

In her Diamond Jubilee Year Her Majesty the Queen granted an exclusive portrait sitting to New Zealand artist Nick Cuthell, to fulfil a commission for the New Zealand Portrait Gallery.

The portrait, to be unveiled at Government House on April 10 by Prince William the Duke of Cambridge, will become part of the New Zealand Portrait Gallery’s permanent collection in Shed 11 on Wellington Waterfront-
Wellington.scoop.co.nz » Royal portrait by Nick Cuthell to be unveiled by Prince William

And Still It Comes...

...I just turned a few more pages of today's Sydney paper and was met by a full-page article - with large photo of William, Catherine and George - titled "Royal tour rewind"

Too much for me to read properly, but it seems to be comparing the 1983 Baby William Royal visit with what will be the 2014 Baby George Tour.

Apparently the British press were "driven mad" by what seemed, to them, to be the huge distances involved in trying to follow Diana, (she went seven times in a month), and Charles, (he went less), when they visited their baby Prince stationed away from prying eyes at "Woomargama", beyond Albury.

(Another no-fly zone was declared, as the British press hired aircraft hoping to catch baby William lying by the pool!)

Upshot of the report is that in 1983 there were "blazing fights" every day about Diana upstaging Charles, but that Willaim has grown up with the idea that crowds love "a glamorous, young royal female".

Sun Lion.

And Yet More...

... Same newspaper, another regular columnist writing about the Duke and Duchess and their upcoming visit, underneath a large photo of Ayers Rock/Uluru.

So much media attention, so far out from actually being here - it must be going to be the biggest thing for Australia for this and several years to come, the way things are shaping up.

Sun Lion.

Sun Lion- what's the source for George visiting his namesake crocodile? I ask because everything that I have read about the tour is that George is staying put in Wellington, Sydney and Canberra while his parents travel back and forth except for a night in the South Island and a night in Uluru (ayers rock).

George The Crocodile Has Own Facebook Page.

Sun Lion- what's the source for George visiting his namesake crocodile? I ask because everything that I have read about the tour is that George is staying put in Wellington, Sydney and Canberra while his parents travel back and forth except for a night in the South Island and a night in Uluru (ayers rock).

Hi Skippyboo,

Several of the TV Channels broadcast the front page of the main newspapers of each state each morning, and today's front page of the NT newspaper was mostly a picture of a little suitcase, filled with various things including a crown-wearing crocodile.

Was shown on various channels, and the commentators said little Prince George was to "meet" George the croc, but I've just found the paper on the internet, and no such claim is made in the actual article.

(George the Crocodile - "called the Royal crocodile" - has his own face-book page, and he has already met London's Lord Mayor Boris Johnson.)

The newspaper is called "NT News", and the front page headline is "By George, Can't Wait To See You".

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. I'm a bit disappointed little PG won't be involved, but maybe George the crocodile will have some photos with the Duke and Duchess posted on his facebook.

Last edited:
Maybe they can loan George the crocodile to the zoo in Sydney for the day :)

First Anti W & C Royal Visit Letter To The Editor Published.

The first anti Duke and Duchess of Cambridge letter to the editor was published in today's newspaper.

Refers to the "British" Royal Family, and headed as "Forelock-tuggers are snubbed by young royals" - because W and C have turned down attending the races at Randwick, and are overlooking Bondi for Manly.

As mentioned in a previous post, the Republican Movement here in Australia has announced it is starting a renewed campaign to coincide with the upcoming Royal visit.

Though I don't see Oz resorting to the quick-drying cement down the public toilets and acrid, sulphur smells used at the ballet attended by Prince William's parents in New Zealand back in the 80s.

Wasn't there also "mooning" and paint thrown at the vehicles - it won't come to that here I think.

Sun Lion.

Warming up at New Zealand House in London for the Cambridges' tour down under. pic.twitter.com/IaE7Lw6ZxY
@ChrisJack_Getty: Incredible #Maori performance at the #NewZealand High Commission tonight #RoyalTourNZ pic.twitter.com/nXNj9qCi30” can't wait!
Stamps and coins being released in #NewZealand in celebration of the #RoyalTourNZ pic.twitter.com/7SdJFRGjfv

Last edited:
Young Skaters W & C To Visit Were On TV.

"A Current Affair" has just had a short clip of some of the young skaters the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be seeing when they visit Adelaide's "poor cousin" - Elizabeth in South Australia.

Acting as role models, they visit schools to promote safe skating and healthy living - "eat fruit" and "don't drink engery drinks guys" :lol:.

They're hoping George goes along with W and C - and that he won't be napping.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Actually, I wonder if the good relationship Prince Charles developed with the South Australian Premier when he and the Duchess of Cornwall visited, influenced W & C on their going to SA.

Prince Charles was reported last year as planning to open an office of his building charity in South Australia - the first office outside of the UK.

Last edited:
General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

I imagine it had to be hard to decide where they were going to visit in each country. You have William who has been to both several times and Kate who hasn't been there before. Plus you add George to the equation. You don't want to go to the places that C&C visited in 2012 and the Queen in 2011. Both governments are going to have influence on the itinerary. Some places are obvious like Christchurch and where the huge fires were in Australia. The others not so and of course the places left off with complain.

Have The Republicans Just Had The Rug Pulled Out From Under Them...

The first anti Duke and Duchess of Cambridge letter to the editor was published in today's newspaper.

Refers to the "British" Royal Family, and headed as "Forelock-tuggers are snubbed by young royals" - because W and C have turned down attending the races at Randwick, and are overlooking Bondi for Manly.

As mentioned in a previous post, the Republican Movement here in Australia has announced it is starting a renewed campaign to coincide with the upcoming Royal visit.

Though I don't see Oz resorting to the quick-drying cement down the public toilets and acrid, sulphur smells used at the ballet attended by Prince William's parents in New Zealand back in the 80s.

Wasn't there also "mooning" and paint thrown at the vehicles - it won't come to that here I think.

Sun Lion.

Have Australia's Republicans just had the rug pulled out from under them - Yes.

Is the upcoming Royal Tour by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge political - No.

Has the outgoing Governor-General of Australia, Quentin Bryce - with the approval of Her Majesty The Queen - just been made a Dame - Yes.

Does the Leader of the Opposition in Australia's Federal Parliament, Bill Shorten, agree with the re-introduction of Knights and Dames - announced overnight - in Australia's public life - No.

Is Dame Quentin Bryce, Mr Bill Shorten's Mother-in-Law - Yes. :lol:

Is the upcoming Royal Tour by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge political - No.

I love Oz.

Cheers Dears, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
If You Thought Prince George Looked A Bit Old-Fashioned...

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 2h
Prince George gets his first magazine cover! Australia's @WomensWeeklyMag's April issue gears up for the royal tour pic.twitter.com/dCbwsw2Ewh

If you thought Prince George looked a bit old-fashioned on his "Australian Women's Weekly" cover posted yesterday by Dman, there is an explanation in today's newspaper.

The powers that be at the magazine deliberately went for a retro look, as it was a "creative nod" to little Prince George's father's first AWW magazine cover photo from just over thirty-two years ago.

It was done as a "bit of a tribute" - and that point is emphasised by having the two cover shots side by side within the issue.

Other interesting points made in today's report are the change in price from William's original magazine costing 70c - George's will set you back $6.95 - and crochet is not the selling point it once was. :lol:

Cheers All, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
As HMQ is now off to Windsor for a month, I was wondering if this was a final briefing from her on the trip and for Catherine to pick up all those lovely jewels ;)

Other than the fact, those jewels probably aren't at BP, it's just over a week until they leave those jewels (if she takes any, because nothing big is actually planned) will probably go from their current location straight to the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom