Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have dropped comments to people at college, friends at the beach and at dinner on Saturday night regarding the tour and the response has been 'who bloody cares'. The average West Australian it seems (at least those I have spoken to age range 18-48) are not interested. A couple people even commented that they thought we had gotten rid of the monarchy already! I will be interested to see just how well this tour is received.

Hey Eden - just as well WA was left off the itinerary by sound of it ...:lol:.

Maybe that's why we're already focusing on the "family" and "baby Prince" aspects - as noted before, Prince William's previous visit did not draw the Sydney crowds that Oprah Winfrey and Ellen DeGeneres did.

A lot rests on Catherine, and the idea of an attractive, young family group, for this Tour.

I hope their health keeps ups - people will be disappointed if someone is unwell/misses an event etc.

They really need to come with "all guns blazing" these days to make a mark - everyone is so saturated with the rich, beautiful, talented and famous etc., in everyday life now.

The Premier of NSW Barry O'Farrell, was on the telly tonight - I don't want to say imploring - but making a point of asking that people get out and give the Royal Couple "the welcome they deserve".

The Easter Sunday Church Service, Good Friday Royal Easter Show Day and Anzac events would have had big crowds anyway - so they won't look neglected on these occassions. Smart organizers somewhere.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
The Show on Good Friday is already so bad due to crowds that having them there will make it a no day for many people. I never go on Good Friday as there is no room to move and this will be no different.

I too am hearing of absolutely no interest amongst my friends, colleagues or students. No interest at all. School holidays means that most of us will be away anyway - a number of our students are going on overseas holidays so that is more important to us.

They create zero interest out where I am.

The Show on Good Friday is already so bad due to crowds that having them there will make it a no day for many people. I never go on Good Friday as there is no room to move and this will be no different.

I too am hearing of absolutely no interest amongst my friends, colleagues or students. No interest at all. School holidays means that most of us will be away anyway - a number of our students are going on overseas holidays so that is more important to us.

They create zero interest out where I am.

Good Friday at the Show is a madhouse - bad both if it's hot and sunny, and if it's wet and raining. Absolutely for the die-hards only - give me any other day.

Only good result if things pan out as you and Eden are seeing, is that people like me might have a chance to get a good photo or two :lol: , though I think it will be a big media thing all the time they're here.

Yes, school holidays = ghost town. If the traffic in Sydney is moving, it must be school holidays and most people have left.

Sun Lion.

Last edited:
I guess it´ll be as always: First people moan, declaring no interest. But when the Royals have arrived (especially these 3), crowds start to build up. I mean, who thought of the last Queen´s tour to become such a huge success before?
And there´s always talk of the young people not being intersted, but when the Royals do a walkabout you can see 100s of young people lining the street, getting out their smartphones for selfies etc ...

One reason why so many school kids are there is that these tours are normally undertaken during term time so they bus the kids from their schools to the royal visit - my school took Year 8 last year to see Mary and Frederick but this year no such excursion to see William and Kate - had they been here during term time again we would have take a group to see them.

A lot of people turn out to see them simply because it is a free show - not anything to do with liking them but more to do with seeing a show - would also turn out to see any celebrity.

I loved the stories about the number of people who turned out to see Harry when he came out to see the naval review yet where I was no one even ev as they turned out to en knew he was here

One reason why so many school kids are there is that these tours are normally undertaken during term time so they bus the kids from their schools to the royal visit - my school took Year 8 last year to see Mary and Frederick but this year no such excursion to see William and Kate - had they been here during term time again we would have take a group to see them.

A lot of people turn out to see them simply because it is a free show - not anything to do with liking them but more to do with seeing a show - would also turn out to see any celebrity.

I loved the stories about the number of people who turned out to see Harry when he came out to see the naval review yet where I was no one even ev as they turned out to en knew he was here

Agree Iluvbertie.

The Naval Celebrations were one of the best things I've ever seen in Sydney and I had four big, full days from early morning to late night, plus later seeing special concerts, the final city march, and the tall ships and foreign navies sailing off days later.

No-one would have known Prince Harry was there if he wasn't shown on TV.

He certainly didn't take away from it, but he also really didn't add anything to it for the general public.

The whole occasion was too big for one lone Royal to stand out in anyway.

And I say that having experienced running into him, as it were, three times on the main day on the Harbour.

W and C will do well because of the "free show" effect - then we'll all get back to our lives as soon as the cars drive off, and it's no longer on the news.

Sun Lion.

1990s - the royals were on the nose and the idea of rubbing their wealth in the faces of ordinary people was one thing that they were advised no to do as it would only turn people against them more.

Personally I am pleased we are not going to see that showiness considering that Kate wouldn't wear anything properly and would cover any jewels with her hair.

The days of flouting one's wealth has gone.

I don't think the royals were rubbing their wealth in the faces of the people. They wore jewels that were passed down to them. Funny how no one feel the same about the other European royals, who make sure to wear they're jewels every chance they get.

I think the British royals allowed people to bully them into losing the beauty they once had.

I like the hub and spoke system they are using. It lets George stay in a secure location while still having access to his parents plus logistically it save the time and energy of transporting all the luggage around the 2 countries if they went city to city.

I would think the press pack following the tour will be huge and very international due to the presence of the chubby cheekster Prince George. It give the 2 countries a lot of publicity for their tourism industry.

Remarks by Miguel Head, Private Secretary to The Duke of Cambridge on Their Royal Highnesses's upcoming tour to New Zealand and Australia-
Our view

I guess it´ll be as always: First people moan, declaring no interest. But when the Royals have arrived (especially these 3), crowds start to build up. I mean, who thought of the last Queen´s tour to become such a huge success before?
And there´s always talk of the young people not being intersted, but when the Royals do a walkabout you can see 100s of young people lining the street, getting out their smartphones for selfies etc ...

Yep. I remember these same kind of comments (no one cares, it's all media hype, everyone will be on vacation) for the Cambridge's wedding, their Canadian tour and even the Queen's Jubilee. Yet when the time arrived, there were huge crowds.

I'm sure there are tons of people that don't care, but there are also tons that do. This tour may not bring the biggest crowds ever, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people that come out to see them. And more importantly, this tour is a great way to showcase Australia and New Zealand. I've never been to either country, so I'm really looking forward to seeing and learning about all of the different places that William, Kate, and George visit.

I like the hub and spoke system they are using. It lets George stay in a secure location while still having access to his parents plus logistically it save the time and energy of transporting all the luggage around the 2 countries if they went city to city.

I would think the press pack following the tour will be huge and very international due to the presence of the chubby cheekster Prince George. It give the 2 countries a lot of publicity for their tourism industry.
Agree.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Here are a couple of photos I've taken, from the water, of Admiralty House and it's neighbour Kirribillli House, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be based in Sydney.

(The smaller Kirribilli House is for the Prime Minister of Australia's use when he is up here from Canberra.)

W and C will look out across the Harbour to the Opera House opposite - (these photos are from the side, not the front).

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Not too shabby!:lol: that fast boat tour they are going on - Brave people!

Last edited:
W and C are trailling in the footsteps of CP Frederik and CP Mary of Denmark at bit with the National Portrait Gallery, National Arboretum and Admiralty House.

Even racing each other in yachts has been done by CP Frederik and CP Mary.

i doubt W and C are deliberately following the footsteps of F+M. catherine is patron of the National Portrait gallery in london, and they have taken part in races in earlier tours in canada, and other hiking activities while in malaysia, so this is just following on from their interests and the causes they already support.

This thread is full of negativity for what should be a positive tour.

This thread is full of negativity for what should be a positive tour.

Happens before any major royal event. Jubilee; wedding; royal tours - all of them. Negative people have a 4 week window in which to have their say and then will go away during the event because (as in the past) they will be proved wrong.

JB ‏@Royal_beans 1h
Courtesy call by Prince William on King Tuheitia cancelled because 90 minutes 'not enough' to meet Maori protocol. #royal #royaltour

Boom! I wonder how this will resolve.

I think William will have to step in. KP have already said that they have agreed a schedule set out by NZ Government so aren't taking any responsibility. I think they may have had more to do with it than that, otherwise why were they out there for a week or so for a pre-tour recce.

And NZ Republic are already having a go - this from Twitter
Prince William is not visiting Turangawawae because a photo opportunity in Cambridge is more important to his PR team than meeting Tuheitia.

I know that the "hub" idea and being with George is v important but according to the articles I've read today, the 90 minutes offered to the Maori's is longer than usual. Lots of time being spent travelling it seems.

HMQ will not be pleased.

Happens before any major royal event. Jubilee; wedding; royal tours - all of them. Negative people have a 4 week window in which to have their say and then will go away during the event because (as in the past) they will be proved wrong.

I was not attempting to be negative why do you count an honest observation as a negative. I don't see the point of pretending that people other than those on this board care about the royal houses in any country. Yes maybe as Sun Lion pointed out it is because Perth is not part of the tour. However it is just a reality, most people have a life, money worries, family issues to concern themselves with a royal tour. If it makes an ounce of difference I am personally looking forward to the tour.

I was not attempting to be negative why do you count an honest observation as a negative. I don't see the point of pretending that people other than those on this board care about the royal houses in any country. Yes maybe as Sun Lion pointed out it is because Perth is not part of the tour. However it is just a reality, most people have a life, money worries, family issues to concern themselves with a royal tour. If it makes an ounce of difference I am personally looking forward to the tour.

Was not picking on you - sorry if you thought I was.

There are negative reports on Australian news, press, twitter, the Maori people, republican movement in NZ - lots and lots of people having their say.

I'm getting confused because this subject is being discussed in 2 threads and I'm trying not to repeat myself. :flowers:

Was not picking on you - sorry if you thought I was.

There are negative reports on Australian news, press, twitter, the Maori people, republican movement in NZ - lots and lots of people having their say.

I'm getting confused because this subject is being discussed in 2 threads and I'm trying not to repeat myself. :flowers:

And Cepe - you get a hats off for trying to not repeat, rather than to post the same thing (almost) on thread, after thread, after thread. :whistling:

Funny how republicans are using the Moari King to attack them. :whistling:

The whole situation sounds very silly, IMO.

Sorry cepe - I didn't realise the thread about the Royal Tour to Oz and NZ was opened again.

(Maybe someone will pop all the posts together - if it's not too much work.)

If the Tour thread stays open - (still six weeks before they arrive here in Australia) - I'll put anything new I post, regarding W and C, that's in the Australian media, in there.

Sun Lion.

Last edited:
The tour thread is still locked. It's the Current Events and General info threads that have similar posts about the tour.

So basically the Moari King wanted more than 90 minutes but because of the tight schedule they couldn't give more than 90 minutes and so the King rejected it. So in reality it wasn't cancelled because it was never arranged trust the media to spin it in a negative light.

i doubt W and C are deliberately following the footsteps of F+M. catherine is patron of the National Portrait gallery in london, and they have taken part in races in earlier tours in canada, and other hiking activities while in malaysia, so this is just following on from their interests and the causes they already support.

I doubt it too carlota.

The organizers on the Australian side have to juggle many issues when sites and events are being proposed.

What suited the Danish CP Couple wouldn't be too different from what will suit the Duke and Duchess regarding iconic photo opportunities, Australian activities, being seen by the general public, nationally important buidlings etc.

There is a wildlife park near Sydney - "Featherdale"- where all the Hollywood and Rock'n' Roll stars have their koala experience/photos.

A few special stars have had the Aussies wildlife brought backstage to them - Bruce Springsteen just last week - but we have more than one place to see a koala here.

Even in the CBD at Darling Harbour koalas are sitting in the open in a few temporary tree branches to be photographed - but everyone sticks to the same, same thing - easier than sowing new ground maybe.

The National Aboretum in Canberra seems to be the place for famous tree-planters now, rather than the Botanical Gardens or Government House grounds.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

The tour thread is still locked. It's the Current Events and General info threads that have similar posts about the tour.

Thanks Skippyboo - that makes sense, the Tour is still some way off.

Probably things will quieten down again here in Australia too - now the itinerary has been and gone on the news.

Something "big" will have to come out if the Duke and Duchess are to be all over the media here, before it all actually kicks off.

I don't see that happening - though we'll hear from any UK dress designers and things like that on the chat shows. (We get a lot of that these days, even without a Royal Tour on the horizon.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

So basically the Moari King wanted more than 90 minutes but because of the tight schedule they couldn't give more than 90 minutes and so the King rejected it. So in reality it wasn't cancelled because it was never arranged trust the media to spin it in a negative light.

Yes. And if you read on, he has not met with the royals in a while. They don't say so, but I presume some of the same reason was at work with those schedules.

I'd be hanging out on the curb with a tea to go if the couple would care to visit my neck of the woods. :lol: W and C - are you listening?

Have to agree with you cepe. I believe that attitudes will change as the tour date approaches. If people have the opportunity to go to see them then likely they'll make the effort. I recall discussing the then upcoming London Olympic Games with some British posters. The vast majority were rather negative about the traffic, tourists, security etc...Having been through a similar situation during the 1984 Los Angeles Games, I reassured them that their outlook was likely to change a few days before the event. ;) Once the Opening Ceremonies took place they were very excited and proud that their nation was hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom