Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Sept 24-Oct 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canada certainly gets its fair share of royal visitors - more than any other commonwealth nation per year. Have they not already had Anne, Sophie and Edward this year? Id say Canada nearly gets more royal visits than parts of the UK - hinting at Northern Ireland here!

That has been the case for a while now. The Queen herself has inherited her late mother's attachment to Canada and seems to have passed it onto her family. The Queen mother often spoke about it both publicly and to her family in letters, saying once "Canada made us." Members of the royal family have often spoken about this in speeches during various visits to Canada. The Queen Mother continued to visit the country well into old age (some 15 times) and when she died there was a genuine feeling of sorrow among many Canadians.
By the way, 2017 is the 150th anniversary of Canada's confederation so that will inevitably lead to a number of royal visits.

I'm very excited! I always regretted that I didn't make it up to Vancouver when Charles and Diana were there. I did go to Victoria a few years ago when the Queen was there, and I will certainly be going to see this royal couple when they arrive! Hopefully I'll get some pics to share!

Lovely news! Looking forward to following all their engagements. I wonder if they will take the children with them.

I really doubt that George & Charlotte will accompany their parents. The tour will probably only be a week to 10 days in duration so, I think, the little ones will stay at home with Grandma Carol & their Nanny.

The upcoming royal visit to Yukon will include another glamourous young couple, besides William and Kate. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Grégoire will also be along.

An internal Yukon government email also provides a few other details about the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's visit to the North.

They're expected to arrive in Whitehorse on Sep. 28, and spend a day in the territory with the Prime Minister and his wife, as well as Governor General David Johnston.
Read more: PM Trudeau to join royals on Yukon visit next month - North - CBC News

George and Charlotte - it is being leaked - are off to Canada too.

A "family-friendly" programme is being co-ordinated between Kensington Palace and the Department of Canadian Heritage.

A heavy outdoors focus for the visit - including William getting George to do some fishing.

The "Daily Mail/Mail Online" has all the details.

Last edited:
This time last year The Daily Fail said the Cambridges were going on an official Caribbean tour in early 2016. That tour never happened.

No offense, but I caution all posters who are putting blind faith in The Fail.

Last edited:
This time last year The Daily Fail said the Cambridges were going on an official Caribbean tour in early 2016. That tour never happened.

No offense, but I caution all posters who are putting blind faith in The Fail.

The Mail actually said they would be undertaking a tour in the spring - probably to the Caribbean. They did undertake a tour - only it was to India and not the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Princess Charlotte could be going on her first royal tour next month when her parents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, visit Canada.

According to The Sunday Times, plans are in place for the princess to join her brother, Prince George, on the eight-day trip.

While this would be the first official trip for Charlotte, who celebrated her first birthday in May, this would be the second for her three-year-old brother. He joined his parents when they visited Australia and New Zealand in 2014.

.... “The Prime Minister certainly has invited William and Kate and family to come to Canada whenever they are available on their schedule,” she said in a statement earlier this year.

It is understood that the children will join their parents on some of their engagements while in Canada.
Readmore: Princess Charlotte could be going on her first royal tour next month*

Charlotte is older than George his first tour. He was 8 1/2 months old (went April 2014). Charlotte is almost 16 months now. Given, having two smalls ones on a tour is more work.

I imagine maybe some sort of playgroup engagement for two kids. George can do more things like we saw at the air show than his sister. Maybe a visit to the Canadian military or the Mounties with his parents or even Prince George, BC.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I imagine maybe some sort of playgroup engagement for two kids. George can do more things like we saw at the air show than his sister. Maybe a visit to the Canadian military or the Mounties with his parents or even Prince George, BC.

If they go to Prince George, I hope George get's to do his first unveiling of something (with steady hands from his parents ofc!). Imagine how cool it would be to have the sign with "by Prince George" in that town :p

Nothing confirmed, but it looks like the Cambridges will visit the west coast between Sept 25 - Oct 1.

According to sources from the Monarchist League of Canada, Prince George and Princess Charlotte have been confirmed as well.

It's exciting for monarchists because Canada was the first country W&C visited after their wedding and now they're returning as a family of four.

Rudolph do you know which west coast cities/towns they'll be visiting?

Emily Andrews on Twitter said they are flying into Vancouver. That's will probably be the base location since they are bringing the kids. The itinerary should be coming out soon since we are approaching a month out.

Rudolph do you know which west coast cities/towns they'll be visiting?

They've announced they're visiting Whitehorse, which is the logical place to visit in the Yukon. It's being said that they're landing in Vancouver which is also logical - YVR is the main airport. It's fair to assume they'll make it to Victoria, which is the capital of the province. I think there's a lot of desire to see them go to Prince George, and I'd like to see them make it to Haida Gwaii, which was formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands (because why not?).

Thank you Skippyboo and Ish for your replies.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit British Columbia and Yukon, Canada, from 24 September to 1 October

In British Columbia, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit #Vancouver, #Victoria, #Bella Bella, #Haida Gwaii, and #Kelowna.

In Yukon The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit #Whitehorse and #Carcross

Canada certainly gets its fair share of royal visitors - more than any other commonwealth nation per year. Have they not already had Anne, Sophie and Edward this year? Id say Canada nearly gets more royal visits than parts of the UK - hinting at Northern Ireland here!

Visiting in the fall will be lovely - very different from their last visit. I could see them bringing the children - after all George has been "introduced' to Australia and New Zealand so i feel its only natural to "introduce' him to Canada. After all these are potential Commonwealth countries that he will be King of (if they don't become republics before that time)

I think it is natural that Canada gets its fair share of royal tours. Historically, Canada was the first self-governing "dominion" of the British Empire achieving that status in 1867. Today, Canada still remains the most populated and the largest of the remaining 15 Commonwealth realms. In a way, it is still the "jewel of the Crown" outside the British Isles, with Australia coming as a close second.

From various Tweets, looks like the base will be Victoria, the BC capital but the press is encouraged to stay in Vancouver so they can get around easier.

Probably more of a problem for the press pack than the Royals. The kids will probably stay in Victoria when their parents go to the Yukon sort like when they went to Uluru during the Aussie Section of the tour.

There are remote stops here, folks. So remote that Google is hacking up a Hairball when I try to do a grand Map.

Here's a shot at it. Vancouver is just NE of Victoria. Great Bear is about 100 miles NNE of Bellla Bella and Carcross is just D outside Whitehorse. Otherwise - you can see the stops.

My BC born and bred instinct was to go "what? They're not remote!" Then I remembered you have to drive for 15 hours (including the 2 ferries) to get to Bella Bella from Vancouver.

I find it interesting how it's been said that they're flying into Vancouver, but it appears like they'll be based out of Victoria - certainly, if they're going to Haida Gwaii and Bella Bella it makes more sense to be out of Victoria. If they're flying commercially it makes sense (there are more flights to YVR than YYJ), but I would expect them to fly private, especially if the kids are coming.

The Canadian Air Force flew them around last time even going to London to pick them up so safe to say they aren't going to be on commercial flights. Victoria has secured government housing.

When they were in Alberta I was living in BC, now other way :sad: May have to convince my parents who live near Kelowna (about 25 minutes away) to go and take photos. Sad they aren't going to Prince George.

Last time they were mostly back easy though. There are significantly fewer Air Force bases in BC than in Ontario.

According to a news release from the Department of Canadian Heritage, the official welcome will be held on Sept. 24 in Victoria before continuing on to Vancouver. The tour will end eight days later on Oct. 1.

“We’re very excited to have the Duke and Duchess in the country,” Melanie Joly, the minister of Canadian heritage, told reporters in Sudbury, Ont. on Monday. “It’ll be a great trip in B.C. and the Yukon and I look forward to meeting them.”

According to the news release, the visit will highlight the work that Canadians are doing to preserve the environment, improve mental health and highlight Indigenous culture and heritage with both the Duke and Duchess participating in various events and activities.
Read more: Kensington Palace confirms details of Duke and Duchess' fall trip to Canada | CTV News

Back
Top Bottom