Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - Sept 24-Oct 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Touch down in Kelowna. Kate is in a green Dolce & Gabanna dress.

As Canada receives the royal family this week, Prince George and Princess Charlotte have received some sweet gifts!

In the first three days of the family's visit, Prince William and Princess Kate have been handed everything from books to stuffed animals for their kids.

After visiting with some first responders in Vancouver, the royal parents were given two tiny orange customized life-saving vests.
Read more: Prince George and Princess Charlotte Receive Gifts in Canada : People.com

Prince William didn't read briefing papers on Diana link to charity | Royal | News | Daily Express

once again William jokes about being unprepared ... in India he admitted at a high profile reception meeting the superstar of the genre that he had never seen a Bollywood movie, this time he didn't read his briefing notes finding out about the connection to his mother.
some may find it funny but I find it poor preparation and taste with regard to those who make an effort for the event and to meet William.

absolutely, i am with you. seeing how much effort goes to planning and executing a visit like this, to have the 'star' of it all acknowledging that he hasn't prepared is a major let down.

HQ pics from the DM

The Duchess of Cambridge dazzled in a green Dolce & Gabbana dress as she and Prince William arrived in the western Canadian city of Kelowna on the fourth day of their royal tour.

The royal couple left Prince George, three, and 16-month-old Princess Charlotte in Victoria with their nanny to fly to the city in the beautiful Okanagan Valley.

William and Kate, both 34, are the first royals to visit the city since Prince Charles and Princess Diana 30 years ago.

The couple will visit a university campus before tasting local delicacies at a special food fair. Later they will fly to Whitehorse in the Yukon, where they will stay the night.
Read more: Gorgeous in green! Kate delights in £2,000 Dolce & Gabbana dress as she and William arrive in rural Canadian town that Charles and Diana visited 30 years ago | Daily Mail Online

the dress design is unexciting but i love the shade of green. even with a meh dress, she is so svelte and put together than she even manages to make a blah dress look great!

Do you seriously believe, even for an instant, that the Queen reads and recalls every single word of every single briefing document she receives? Really? Or does she, like most people, probably read most of it and the most important bits of it to get a general gist and then ask relevant questions to understand who she's meeting and why?

Honestly, keep scraping the barrel with the criticisms. When William's on a visit and meeting the people there, he tries to make an actual connection. He makes real conversation with the public, he shakes their hands, he gives them hugs when asked, he makes fun of himself and his shortcomings and he participates. Something the Queen generally doesn't do and has never done, much as I love her.

He should learn from Donald Trump's dsastrous performance in yesterday's US presidential debate and realize that being spontaneous and showing up unprepared doesn't always work.

So now we are comparing William to Donald Trump now? :rolleyes:

Several on Twitter think their Highnesses will be staying here tonight. https://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/...emium-jacuzzi-king-with-fireplace-nonsmoking/
At the very least, it is sold out. Whitehorse seems to have very functional hotel accommodations, many with kitchenettes - just like at the Ritz ;)

Just trolling the Hotels available I have to think security is trumping other amenities.

I do hope they get out and look at the Aurora Borealis tonight. Even when it's no great display, it is beautiful.

Oh, Mission Hill must be one of the most spectacular wineries in the world. It can certainly compete with the very best wine farms in the Western Cape region of South Africa!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Several on Twitter think their Highnesses will be staying here tonight. https://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/...emium-jacuzzi-king-with-fireplace-nonsmoking/
At the very least, it is sold out. Whitehorse seems to have very functional hotel accommodations, many with kitchenettes - just like at the Ritz ;)

Just trolling the Hotels available I have to think security is trumping other amenities.

I do hope they get out and look at the Aurora Borealis tonight. Even when it's no great display, it is beautiful.

A nice hotel to have a good time.

What William didn't know was Sheway was based on a facility in Glasgow that was opened by his mother. It wasn't what they did, or who they help. Maybe he knew it was based on a Glasgow facility but not the connection to his mother.

I didn't see any coverage of the connection to Diana prior to them going there on Sunday. So to me, it is a nice tidbit but not vital information.

The event in Mumbai was hosted by an organization that Charles is President of. It was a fundraiser with various celebrities there. Since Mumbai is the center of the Indian film production there were lots of Bollywood people there plus other. But watching a Bollywood film was not needed to meet the celebrities.

The Queen attended a state dinner in the US when George W Bush was President at her table was Peyton Manning who just won a Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts. Did the Queen need to have a knowledge of American football to talk to Peyton at dinner?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Been to Mission Hill and events at the very spot in those photos with the tables. Beautiful winery.

Oh, Mission Hill must be one of the most spectacular wineries in the world. It can certainly compete with the very best wine farms in the Western Cape region of South Africa!

The whole OK valley has lots of wineries in beautiful locations. I've done at least 4 wine tours in the OK in the past year. Many can compete with SA wineries. :)

Young Yukon leaders will now have the opportunity to access a new scholarship that will help fund their participation in conferences and training opportunities that focus on northern policy and international affairs.

"The Government of Yukon is pleased to announce a new Yukon Leadership Scholarship in commemoration of Their Royal Highnesses' historic visit to Yukon and their ongoing work with youth," Premier Darrell Pasloski said. "This scholarship will allow promising young Yukon leaders to take part in exciting learning opportunities and bring new knowledge back to the territory."

The scholarship was announced at a special event with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on Tuesday night. It will be awarded annually to one youth leader seeking to attend leadership conferences, training opportunities or events pertaining to circumpolar affairs.

Through their participation in international events or training opportunities, the scholarship recipients will have the opportunity to strengthen their knowledge of northern issues and network with other young leaders from the North.

Students working on undergraduate, graduate and doctorate degrees, as well as young professionals from the public, non-profit and business sectors will be eligible for the award.

Government of Yukon Announces Yukon Leadership Scholarship

During their visit to the Yukon, The Duke of Cambridge was named Colonel-in-Chief of the Canadian Rangers and The Duchess of Cambridge was named Colonel-in-Chief of the Junior Rangers

Last edited by a moderator:
Marginally off topic but related to yesterday. Musing on the Geoduck: I'm a foodie so I have watched a fair bit of the cooking channel. Fans of the geoduck are thin on the ground. I know it has been featured on cooking challenges more than once. There are people who do love it.

They can live over 100 years; a single clam can feed four adults; they are active in the water rather than passive dwellers in silt. Say it gooey duck.

I've never had one, but confess to loving steamers and clams fried with the bellies on. Geoducks are said to be crisper in texture than smaller clams - so think bite-able while still chewy.

Congrats to the Royal couple for trying them in full view of the press. Tasting a new, odd food is a challenge for most of us.

Anyone here love gooey clams?

Recipes, videos and notes:
The Nasty Bits: Geoduck | Serious Eats
https://youtu.be/IZv0ae5ODhU
https://youtu.be/NgNR-nAlWaw (excellent serious how to video BTW)

wow - i didn't even know what geoduck was! these forums are so enlightening, i get to know about all these things. it certainly looks interesting. i am in general not a big clam fan so i don't think it would be my kind of thing but i am most curious to try it. indeed, well done to WK for trying it out with all the press ready to snap a picture at their reaction!

on a side note about the trip: did anyone else notice that their staff's presence was very prominent in the india/bhutan tour, but we have not seen them in this one at all yet. i remember in the last one we kept seeing kate's PAs out of the planes, carrying clothes and bags or even joining them for a trek in the mountains. this time, it is no longer the case. i wonder if they got told off for stealing the show / distracting the press?

wow - i didn't even know what geoduck was! these forums are so enlightening, i get to know about all these things. it certainly looks interesting. i am in general not a big clam fan so i don't think it would be my kind of thing but i am most curious to try it. indeed, well done to WK for trying it out with all the press ready to snap a picture at their reaction!

on a side note about the trip: did anyone else notice that their staff's presence was very prominent in the india/bhutan tour, but we have not seen them in this one at all yet. i remember in the last one we kept seeing kate's PAs out of the planes, carrying clothes and bags or even joining them for a trek in the mountains. this time, it is no longer the case. i wonder if they got told off for stealing the show / distracting the press?

I have seen pictures of the PA and hairdresser carrying bags off planes. Rebecca Deacon and Miguel Head have been very present at the engagements. Why would they be told off for doing their jobs?

The staff are in photos. Rebecca, Miguel, the Navy Equerry guy are over the photos. Jason the media was in the live feed shot at the Whitehorse Airport. This trip is different from the spring tour. In India/Bhutan, they were moving from place to place so all the staff and stuff had to come too. For the most part, this tour is based in Victoria. Hairdresser and Natasha the PA aren't going along on the day trips. They went to the Yukon because that was an overnight stay and there are photos in the Daily Mail with the luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Prince William didn't read briefing papers on Diana link to charity | Royal | News | Daily Express

once again William jokes about being unprepared ... in India he admitted at a high profile reception meeting the superstar of the genre that he had never seen a Bollywood movie, this time he didn't read his briefing notes finding out about the connection to his mother.
some may find it funny but I find it poor preparation and taste with regard to those who make an effort for the event and to meet William.

This framing of William as a lazy royal is not new. Aside from not reading his preparation notes: his quite clumsy French is another example. His great-grandfather King George VI practized, practized, practized and practized with his speech therapist. That is an example William could have followed: practize with a French teacher to reproduce three sentences in perfect French and make a great impression on the québécois!

Secretary Clinton prepared herself for the presidential debate. That was her homework. And it did pay off: no matter her political colour and opinions, the lady was more than prepared and knew her facts and was able to reproduce it when needed.

William has done little to fight the (unfair) framework of a lazy dude not taking the royal job too serious.

Last edited:
Agree that he should have practiced the French especially since it was only a few sentences.you are right,the pay off would have been worth the five minutes per day effort.

This is what the DM has to say on 'note-gate' - A chip off the old block? :whistling:

It appears that William has picked up the trick from his father, the Prince of Wales.

Charles tends to ignore briefing papers that don't interest him – ie, most of them – often leaving him underprepared.

When he took the Queen's place at the Commonwealth Summit for the first time, in Sri Lanka in 2013, some leaders were shocked at his ignorance on Commonwealth matters compared with his mother's encyclopaedic memory.

HQ pics from today's events

After a night in a rural three-star inn without their children, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were out and about early today soaking up the atmosphere in the gold rush town of Whitehorse.

Mid-way through their eight-day tour of Canada, William and Kate have flown to the northern province of Yukon for two days of engagements, taking in the wild beauty of the region.

Their first stop today was the MacBride Museum, for a lesson in Yukon's history, where Kate was wearing a brilliant pillar box red coat, unusual block heeled shoes with her hair swept back in a severe chignon.
Read more: Kate Middleton and Prince William have an early start in Canadian town of Whitehorse | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom