Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From all the comments here it seems that no one would want the very gruelling (what a funny word for travelling about and waving to people, with all the organizing and hard work done for you). All they had to do was wake up in the morning get dressed look at the schedule and a car would come to pick them up.
When I come to think of it, it sounds very much like the last cruise I took, such a chore working out what clothes to take and having to be nice to the people at our table. Of course they had another gruelling task, they had to make sure the photographers got a good picture. No, I am afraid that doesn't sound like hard work to me, they have their next holiday to look forward to, so that they can recover from it as well. I almost forgot, William is a hard working serving officer, the grindstone every day when he is on the base.

I did pay attention. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I can't see/hear/understand anything.

As for the tree planting...she threw dirt on the tree. Someone else planted it. She steered a boat and paddled with help from someone else. It was nice she spent time with sick children but it was only about an hour. You could so much more in that arena if that is what you are interested in.

As for the press she knew what she was signing up for. After all she dated William for 9yrs and while doing so had her privacy invaded and her family attacked on a constant basis. There was also the pre-engagement events of his Sandhurst graduation and Garter ceremonies in which she got a taste of the media spotlight while standing with the family. She also had knowledge of how the press attacked Diana/Fergie and every other member of the royal family. If she was not prepared for the lifestyle then she shouldn't have married in to it. I am not saying she deserves to be chased while driving or anything that extreme but you know that touring is in your future so you can easily step-up to the plate for that.

Did William not say in the engagement interview that he dated her for so long so she could back out if it all got to be too much?

Also why did they feel the need to take personal trips on the Canadian taxpayers dollars? They could have saved that for after the tour and paid for it privately. They toured for 8 or 9 days. That is not a long time.

you're right...8 or 9 days is not a long time but when you've crossed multiple time zones and have jet lag then that makes these trips grueling. the time difference between the UK and the east coast of canada is 4 hours, then 5 hours in ontario, 8 hours in calgary and then, correct me if i'm wrong...9 hours in california. then they have to go back again.

i havent gone through your conversation but i don't believe catherine is afraid of what is instore for her in terms of the press intrusion. the 8 years she has been with william have given her an insight that diana and sarah didn't have so you're right, if she wasn't prepared then she shouldnt have signed up for it. But she did...i believe she went in with her eyes wide open and is fully prepared to deal with the intrusion. as for taking personal trips on the canadian tax payer...i think most canadians - not all but most- were only too happy to let them have a little down time on us since they chose to come here as their first official visit. :flowers:

WillKate said:
Videos from the Calgary...includes footage of them leaving Skoki Lodge

Video Collection: Royal Tour

I am going through withdrawals. :lol: Watching some clips from Canada.

I love the moment @ 3:15. I wonder what he said. The way he looks at her is just....:wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsiWht2T7wc

I'm going through withdrawl as well :( I've been watching everything that I've PVR'd. It was so nice how spoiled we were with the wall-to-wall coverage. Can't wait till they come back! - hope it isn't a long wait!.

I'm going through withdrawl as well :( I've been watching everything that I've PVR'd. It was so nice how spoiled we were with the wall-to-wall coverage. Can't wait till they come back! - hope it isn't a long wait!.

Put me on the list of those who are going through withdrawals as well. I think I've talked my friend's ear off, and she's not even a Royal fan/watcher. Though I will say, she has taken a liking to Catherine, and gets really angry if anyone criticizes her. Can I say that I'm very proud?

WillKate, thank you for the videos. I will be watching them at some point today.

I want to say congratulations to Catherine and William for such a fabulously succesful tour!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Watching clips from the Canada tour. Can someone help me figure out the conversation @ 1:12:50? Kate offers something to William and says, "please, for me?" and he goes, you can't do that. Its not happening. :lol: What does he say after that? ......later? They're so cute! :wub: Its sickening really!

CPAC - Video on Demand

I don't get the criticism that Catherine didn't work (or didn't work too hard) on this tour.

Let's be real, while the work that Catherine (and William) for that matter can't be compared to the life and work of a waitress, a construction worker, a lawyer, doctor, etc. it can and should be compared to the same amount of work that other Royal ladies )and men for that matter) do on these tours. tThey are briefed about people and cultural aspects of the cities/countries that they are visiting. They are very much animals in the zoo when they are out and about as every aspect (look, clothing attire, hairstyle, wave, smile, etc.) is pictured and analyzed to the TENTH degree. They are expected to peppy and happy ALL THE time whether they have a headache, are grouchy or just having a bad day. even when they are not*.

Catherine did the same thing as Camilla, the Queen, Sophie, Mathilde, Maximia, Margrethe, Sofia, Silvia, Victoria, etc. do every time they step out of their castle to do work. Is is different because its Catherine or do they not "work" as well?

Again, I realize that this isn't the same type of work they you and I do so I am no way trying to compare the two. I am open to negative and position opinions I am just trying to understand is it Catherine that is the problem or royal work in general?
Zonk, thanks for this post! I so agree! To me, William and Catherine were nothing short of amazing, and though I know they are human, and not above fault, it is hard to read the few critical responses. I am still trying to figure out what causes a few people's negative reactions. I highlighted what I think the real issue is. From reading opinions, my personal opinion is Royal work in general. I think people see the Royal world of servants, and limos, and say that is not work. Compared to their jobs, it does not look like work. But it is work, even if you cannot compare it to your profession.
* For all members- That is why I say it is hard work being Royal. The limos, the travel, the staff, those are work benefits. Work benefits that IMO, most Royals work hard to earn. Now you might be saying, " I work as hard as they do as a Dr. as a lawyer, etc. but I do not get palaces, butlers, maids, dressers, cooks, and limos. No you don't! But you have the luxury to stop working at the end of the day.. They never ever stop being Royal! So there is the trade off- Be Royal= Have luxury, never stop working /living in the public eye VS. Be average Joe- no luxury, work hard, but live out of the spotlight! Do you have to work/live in the public eye? Yes, the Royals have luxury. But they pay for it by being in the public eye. So in a sense, you could say that their work is easier, because, they have luxuries, but I would never say that they don't work, because I imagine being in the public eye is hard work. I do not think luxury would make being Royal any less work! Their life is public, and their life is work.
Would you trade your job and living out of the public eye for luxury, but the rigor of living/ working in the pubic eye? Not me!

Last edited:
Would you trade your job and living out of the public eye for luxury, but the rigor of living/ working in the pubic eye?

I would seriously consider it... and this not a joke response... quite real in fact. I admit that I would seriously need to upgrade my skills in the art of public speaking but I would probably give it the ol` college try.

Roseroyal and Zonk, you have hit the nail on the head. These people do indeed work, and I will say that their jobs are a heck of a lot harder than they look. It's like acting, only they don't get a redo if something goes terribly wrong. Sometimes I feel like I'm watch a theatre production of sorts, because everything is orchestrated, but I realize that the theatre/movie actors have rehearsals while royals do not. They have to go out there and put on their best smiles and manners, while the rest of the world watches and either admires or criticizes, and if something goes wrong, there's no redo, and the mishap is all over the press. People are analyzing the mistake, and forget about the good that the person has done. I give royals a great deal of credit for what they do, because it's not easy to keep going when you're feeling tired/depressed/sick, whatever. Yes, they cannot stop working, and there's no such thing as a 'sick' or 'personal' day, and because of the toll their work takes on them, they could use all the help they could get. I see the servants and the drivers and all the other trappings as necessities, because if one had to go around and be social for days at a time, and then come home and worry about cleaning the house, doing laundry, cooking, etc., one would go insane rather fast. For the same reason I give credit to those who do any type of work that involves being with people, because it takes a lot to always be peppy and smiling.

Daria_S said:
Roseroyal and Zonk, you have hit the nail on the head. These people do indeed work, and I will say that their jobs are a heck of a lot harder than they look. It's like acting, only they don't get a redo if something goes terribly wrong. Sometimes I feel like I'm watch a theatre production of sorts, because everything is orchestrated, but I realize that the theatre/movie actors have rehearsals while royals do not. They have to go out there and put on their best smiles and manners, while the rest of the world watches and either admires or criticizes, and if something goes wrong, there's no redo, and the mishap is all over the press. People are analyzing the mistake, and forget about the good that the person has done. I give royals a great deal of credit for what they do, because it's not easy to keep going when you're feeling tired/depressed/sick, whatever. Yes, they cannot stop working, and there's no such thing as a 'sick' or 'personal' day, and because of the toll their work takes on them, they could use all the help they could get. I see the servants and the drivers and all the other trappings as necessities, because if one had to go around and be social for days at a time, and then come home and worry about cleaning the house, doing laundry, cooking, etc., one would go insane rather fast. For the same reason I give credit to those who do any type of work that involves being with people, because it takes a lot to always be peppy and smiling.

Very well said. It's 24-7, and it can't be as easy as we imagine it to be!

Daria thank you! What an interesting way to look at it!

Roseroyal and Queen Penelope, thank you for your kind words!

My analogy came to me when I was reading about the wedding and the preparations that went into putting it all together. On April 29th I felt as if I were watching a Broadway/West End production. The only difference being that this was actually real, and there would be no evening performance of any sort and an opportunity to fix a mistake. I also feel that when actors/royals interact with their fans, there needs to be courtesy on both sides. The actors/royals should really avoid being divas, because that sends a really negative message and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. People have waited for hours in all kinds of weather to catch a glimpse, get a handshake and maybe even a picture of/with a person they admire. Not good PR if one believes that meeting fans is beneath him/her. In the theatre world, people like Nathan Lane come to mind. He doesn't believe in interacting with his supporters. Now, fans/supporters should understand that a walk-about/stage door appearance is a privilege, and that the person who is coming out/around is not here to be grabbed, pushed or yelled for. It's simply rude. I remember seeing a few impromptu walk-abouts in Canada, and those were probably done at the discretion of William and Catherine and most likely their team, and since it wasn't planned, our favorite couple gave up their own time.

Watching clips from the Canada tour. Can someone help me figure out the conversation @ 1:12:50? Kate offers something to William and says, "please, for me?" and he goes, you can't do that. Its not happening. :lol: What does he say after that? ......later? They're so cute! :wub: Its sickening really!

CPAC - Video on Demand
Thnx sooo much for posting that I am in LOVE with their online coverage. WAY better then CBC's on demand coverage.

Also cute pic from Blachford Lake

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo922lHKTE1qk8ze6o1_500.jpg

Pics of the couple arriving at Lake Louise
http://www.princess-diana-remembered.com/4/post/2011/07/william-and-kate-arrive-at-lake-louise.html

Last edited:
Thnx sooo much for posting that I am in LOVE with their online coverage. WAY better then CBC's on demand coverage.

Also cute pic from Blachford Lake

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo922lHKTE1qk8ze6o1_500.jpg

Pics of the couple arriving at Lake Louise
William and Kate arrive at Lake Louise - Princess Diana Remembered
Thank you for lovely the pics. :flowers:

Did you watch the clip I posted? I can't figure out what William says at the end. I could only hear...we'll talk............later. Can you help me out?

Did you watch the clip I posted? I can't figure out what William says at the end. I could only hear...we'll talk............later. Can you help me out?

i tried watching the vidoe, but it just says connecting to video, then says says and i have to press the play button again,then is says connecting to vidoe...it is never ending.

a great, immensly THANK YOU to all our friends from Canada and USA during this trip. I didnt post much but I read al your posts and was very happy to the links everyone involved posted on the forum for our great pleasure.

We had first hand reports from our "forum's reporters" and the job done by members of this forum was fantastic.

GREAT GREAT THANK YOU ....

I'll have a go. I'd have done it last night but I took an allergy pill and it basically made me drowsy and I fell asleep :lol:

Ok he says "Let's take it with us we'll have it later"

Last edited:
Would you trade your job and living out of the public eye for luxury, but the rigor of living/ working in the pubic eye?

I would seriously consider it... and this not a joke response... quite real in fact. I admit that I would seriously need to upgrade my skills in the art of public speaking but I would probably give it the ol` college try.
I hear what you are saying.... I have often thought I would like to try it for a year, and then go back to normal if I did not like it. But Royals do not have the backout option. And being Royal day in day out, year after year, I do not think I could do it.

Roseroyal, your post got me thinking. I think it would really interesting if there was a possibility for one to shadow a royal for a day and see what it was really like. I think people believe it's so easy, because they only see the glamor and the privileges (kind of like with actors and other famous persons). What we don't see is the stress these people must experience on daily basis. The knowledge that going outside could mean being hounded by the press, and one's presence at an event or a walk-about means that people want to talk and share their stories. I cannot imagine that the members of royal families don't take what they hear when amongst the people home. It's not easy to just shrug off when someone tells you about a family tragedy, or what have you. I think if public had their eyes opened a little bit, they would be less likely to criticize and assume that these folks have it easy.

Just got through the video clips. I'm amused by the title 'Kate in Canada'. Implies that she went on her own, though of course I understand that they were referring to the focus of media being on her. Thank you WillKate for sharing.

I LOVE THE ROYAL FORUMS! I can't wait to spend a whole weekend going through all the William and Catherine posts.

Hey Brit :p,
You are right, I felt the urge.
Look :D

To India? where did you read that, Ghost?
Mia so sorry I never got back to you on this. I SO thought. I finally found out I heard it on CBC

Found this quote on royalinsight by one of their members.
According to my friend, Catherine let it slip yesterday that her and William will be visiting Indian soon. She says she saw it on CBC when they were interviewing people about meeting them yesterday. Anyone else in Canada see this? Would they do another tour so soon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom