Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching the CBC last night and they said that there are some holes in the couples' schedule so we might get to see something unexpected. Although their schedule looks packed to me!

They will be free to do whatever they want on July 6, which will be a relief given all the events and air travel of the previous couple of days. I hope they'll spend it enjoying Canada's beautiful natural scenery.

According to this source the most people from Quebec are obviously indifferent to the upcoming visit
Visite royale au royaume des indifférents | Louise Leduc | Monarchie
http://translate.google.ru/translat...presse_B4_manchettes_231_accueil_POS1&act=url

A Quebec Journalist Yves Boisvert has written an article in which he tries to raise antimonarchist spirits

Comment se débarrasser de la monarchie? | Yves Boisvert | Yves Boisvert
http://translate.google.ru/translat...sse_vous_suggere_4413422_article_POS1&act=url

Last edited by a moderator:
No he is NOT. He's just explaining why here in Quebec there is a duality: for most of us the monarchy is irrelevant but we kinda like Will & Kate because they are cool.

Irrelevant because Canada has its own constitution and we no longer need to get approval from London if we want to change it BUT at the same time our head-of-state is the same as a foreign country.

To change that we would have to change our constitution but ABSOLUTELY nobody wants to open that can of worms here (Boisvert explains that even Australia is reluctant to do it).

No he is NOT. He's just explaining why here in Quebec there is a duality: for most of us the monarchy is irrelevant but we kinda like Will & Kate because they are cool.

Irrelevant because Canada has its own constitution and we no longer need to get approval from London if we want to change it BUT at the same time our head-of-state is the same as a foreign country.

To change that we would have to change our constitution but ABSOLUTELY nobody wants to open that can of worms here (Boisvert explains that even Australia is reluctant to do it).
Thank You for your explanations!

Radio-Canada TV (French side of CBC) just reported on W & C. They called her Princess Kate (grrrr!). My national TV making such horrible mistakes.

They talked about the preparations at Rideau Hall for tomorrow. 90% of the food is there and coming from the different provinces of Canada (maple sugar from Ontario, strawberries and rhubard from Quebec, etc... but the shrimps from BC are still in the water there - they should be catched today, shipped by plane tonight and in Ottawa by tomorrow morning).

They say it's probably the most followed royals in the world as over 300 foreign reporters are in Ottawa for that visit. Last year about 20 were there for her Majesty.

Last edited:
300 foreign reporters...WOW!

And to think while I am sure this visit is costing the Canadian taxpayer a pretty penny (i.e. in regards to security costs). Those reporters have to eat and sleep somewhere while in Canada. And hopefully, they will introduce their readers to the beauty of Canada and they might be inclined to visit in the future.

Tnks for explaining. Any other 'inside' information while they are there will be more than welcome :flowers:

And to think while I am sure this visit is costing the Canadian taxpayer a pretty penny (i.e. in regards to security costs). Those reporters have to eat and sleep somewhere while in Canada. And hopefully, they will introduce their readers to the beauty of Canada and they might be inclined to visit in the future.

Amazing, right?! Canada will have to pay for the visit, but for those 9 days they will get the best advertising opportunity.

Last edited:

That's what I tell Mr. Russo when he pish-poshes Royalty. :D

They will be free to do whatever they want on July 6, which will be a relief given all the events and air travel of the previous couple of days. I hope they'll spend it enjoying Canada's beautiful natural scenery.

I hope they get to see some of those incredibly cute black squirrels. When I vacation in Canada, seeing those little creatures is always a highlight of my trip!

I hope they get to see some of those incredibly cute black squirrels. When I vacation in Canada, seeing those little creatures is always a highlight of my trip!
I see those in my backyard almost every morning:D often running on top of the fence.
They've destroyed several plants in my mom's vegetable garden.

I like Prince William's standard. Catherine doesn't have one of her own or will she eventually get one I wonder?

I like Prince William's standard. Catherine doesn't have one of her own or will she eventually get one I wonder?

I am wondering that too Humera - because I thought I saw the three acorns from the Middleton family coat of arms on the right side of this standard?

This is William's standard. Kate won't have a standard of her own (not born royal), but they will have a blended coat of arms that will have the acorns. For anyone who does not know, the red scallop shell is from Diana's personal coat of arms.

Someone please correct me if I am incorrect. Thx.

I hope the other channels,as Canadian TVA will cover their arrival as well

Does anyone know where they will be staying in Charlottetown? My guess is the Rodd Charlottetown but I'm not sure. George VI and Queen Elizabeth were there during their 1939 visit and Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip were there in 1951. Back then, it was just "The Charlottetown" and was owned by Canadian National Railways.
I'll be watching the Canada Day celebrations from Ottawa, via the CBC and the internet

I never noticed are squirrels were different until a visitor mentioned their colour.

This is William's standard. Kate won't have a standard of her own (not born royal), but they will have a blended coat of arms that will have the acorns. For anyone who does not know, the red scallop shell is from Diana's personal coat of arms.

If the Canadian Heraldic Authority follows British practice on this, then Catherine won't have her own standard until she's the Queen consort. (Right now, she just uses the standard for "other members" of the royal family in the UK, the royal standard with an ermine border.)

Love the black squirrels on the emerald green lawns in Toronto near one of the universities

More on Prince William's flag

Article with video:

Personal Canadian flags unveiled for Prince Charles, Prince William

Prince William's flag is more like the Queen's, with a blue roundel surrounded by golden maple leaves, and containing his royal cipher, a coronet perched atop a stylized "W".

Above both roundels is a three-pointed white label, which designates all heirs. Prince Charles, as the next in line to the crown, has an all-white label, while his son's features a red shell in the middle, taken from the family's coat of arms.

As for anyone wondering why Kate hasn't received a personal Canadian flag, Boudreau said it is up to the Queen to decide who gets a flag, coat of arms or other bestowment.

Read more: Personal Canadian flags unveiled for Prince Charles, Prince William

Another article:

Prince William's personal flag in Canada revealed

Prince William will have a special marker shadowing him on his visit to Canada this week: his own flag, the first in 50 years to be created for a member of the Royal Family.
Immigration Minister Jason Kenney revealed the flag Wednesday, along with one created for William's father, Prince Charles. Prince William's personal flag in Canada revealed - Ottawa - CBC News

Last edited:
The Telegraph will show on its website the arrival live of William and Kate on th Tarmac of Ottawa airport.

Last edited:
I can't find anything on the tv listings from Saturday onwards though I assume if anything I'll just go ahead and stream it live online on CBC

Why would the Canadian government honor both HRH the PoW and his elder son, HRH the DoCam, by creating personal flags for each? Just to create more media/public attention to increase tourism { = revenue} to Canada? Truthfully, with no 'elbow grease' from either prince, as they were both born into the BRF, I do not understand the honor to either. I could understand if HRH the DssOCam, who was not born a royal, and if warranted, would in the future, receive an honor from the Canadian governmenyceither prince put forth to deserve a personal flag from the Canadian government?

Why would the Canadian government honor both HRH the PoW and his elder son, HRH the DoCam, by creating personal flags for each? Just to create more media/public attention to increase tourism { = revenue} to Canada? Truthfully, with no 'elbow grease' from either prince, as they were both born into the BRF, I do not understand the honor to either. I could understand if HRH the DssOCam, who was not born a royal, and if warranted, would in the future, receive an honor from the Canadian governmenyceither prince put forth to deserve a personal flag from the Canadian government?

because both the PoW and the DoC are heirs to the Canadian monarch, ie. Queen Elizabeth II (until now she was the only member of the royal family to have a Canadian standard). Charles will one day be King of Canada and would've received his own Canadian flag eventually, so would William.
This is all explained in the articles I've posted above.
The Governor General's website also has more on the royal tour and the three royal flags (the Queen's, Prince Charles and William's): The Governor General of Canada > 2011 Royal Tour

The way things stand, only the monarch (present or future) get their own flags. Consorts don't. So I doubt Catherine will get one.

Last edited:
The Duke of Cambridge (front right) talks to James Wright (left), the Canadian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom as he and the Duchess of Cambridge (rear right) walk to board a plane of the Royal Canadian Air Force at London's Heathrow Airport to travel to Ottawa for their first overseas tour as a married couple.

Belga picture gallery

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom