The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #581  
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,927
Sorry but I find this visit is becoming pointless already ... and they havent even arrived in celebrity country.

What I like is seeing William being very comfortable travelling with his new wife, they look like a good team.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #582  
Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 AM
dazzling's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 22,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Sorry but I find this visit is becoming pointless already ... and they havent even arrived in celebrity country.

What I like is seeing William being very comfortable travelling with his new wife, they look like a good team.
Why is it a becoming a pointless visit?


__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #583  
Old 07-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,927
For me the trip is getting too long and is being dragged on by silly events / holiday activities such as public cooking and boat racing.

I fear the worst when they go to California to rub shoulders with so called celebrities, turning into the Disney couple of royalty.
Reply With Quote
  #584  
Old 07-05-2011, 04:53 AM
Humera's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 7,805
This is a newly married couple on their first official tour of a country Prince William will one day be King of. His parents' tour was much longer and so were the tours of his grand and great-grandparents. Canada's too big to cover in one small visit so various members of the royal family usually try to visit different regions during each trip. So yeah, if they were visiting a republic, the visit might be too long. But not a nation that's part of their 'realm.' The whole point of these visits is for the royals to meet ordinary Canadians and for them to meet their future monarch.

As for the events, the couple themselves helped choose the activities they participated in. Their chosen theme for the visit is youth and they've focused on that. They've even said that they want people to address them informally, as confirmed by the Queen's Canadian secretary. The couple have deliberately granted people more access to them than, say, the Queen would because the protocol for her is much stricter and she doesn't do a lot of walkabouts. None of this is random or pointless. Each activity and event has been carefully choreographed.

The particular search and rescue exercise that William took part in is unique to Canada and Britain has sent its pilots here to learn the manoeuvre. One of the articles mentioned that William had heard about it from his colleagues at home and wanted to try it. Catherine wanted to visit PEI because of her fondness for Anne of Green Gables.

William and Kate's visit to Quebec was significant because the Queen hasn't been there in several decades and Charles and Camilla weren't well received there. But this young couple was. It was an important exercise in forging a better image of the monarchy in the province.
Reply With Quote
  #585  
Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,502
Humera, thanks for drawing attention to the "special" S&R exercise.
This alone will have a far-reaching and long-lasting effect.

I think HM may have had a hand in helping William to speak French there - her command of French is very good.
Reply With Quote
  #586  
Old 07-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Excellent post. Reading the press, and the internet boards, one would come to the conclusion that Charles was a monstrous father and any piece of goodness William has in him is from his mother. Which is quite obviously not the case.
To be honest as a onlooker who's only read the rags<for free at downtime as a cashier> and came to TRF for hats at Ascot, its easy to see where Charles would be the bad guy. Its uncanny that the press of so long ago still lingers. One thing Diana never stated in any way, shape or form, is that Charles was anything other than a loving father. They both did a fantastic job loving William and Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #587  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,993
Let's not turn this into a discussion on the parenting of William with an off topic turn on who has made a bigger impact - Charles or Diana.

The topic of the thead is the Cambridge Visit to Canada.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #588  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,099
Oh how that doesn't shock me at all.

I would suggest a talk to the people who own hotels and restaurants in the island before defying the travel as pointless. Never mind the relationship strengthening between Canada and the Monarchy. Anyways, I am really surprised by the amount of events, considering they have been married for not even 3 months. I remember everyone saying to expect the couple to do very few engagements this years, so that Catherine wouldn't fell overwhelm. We can all agree that is not the case , good :)

This day, even if not sartorial wise, has been the best one so far.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
This is a newly married couple on their first official tour of a country Prince William will one day be King of. His parents' tour was much longer and so were the tours of his grand and great-grandparents. Canada's too big to cover in one small visit so various members of the royal family usually try to visit different regions during each trip. So yeah, if they were visiting a republic, the visit might be too long. But not a nation that's part of their 'realm.' The whole point of these visits is for the royals to meet ordinary Canadians and for them to meet their future monarch.

As for the events, the couple themselves helped choose the activities they participated in. Their chosen theme for the visit is youth and they've focused on that. They've even said that they want people to address them informally, as confirmed by the Queen's Canadian secretary. The couple have deliberately granted people more access to them than, say, the Queen would because the protocol for her is much stricter and she doesn't do a lot of walkabouts. None of this is random or pointless. Each activity and event has been carefully choreographed.

The particular search and rescue exercise that William took part in is unique to Canada and Britain has sent its pilots here to learn the manoeuvre. One of the articles mentioned that William had heard about it from his colleagues at home and wanted to try it. Catherine wanted to visit PEI because of her fondness for Anne of Green Gables.

William and Kate's visit to Quebec was significant because the Queen hasn't been there in several decades and Charles and Camilla weren't well received there. But this young couple was. It was an important exercise in forging a better image of the monarchy in the province.
You get an Amen here! but I fell 'some' could care less, they just like nitpicking everything, it's their thing
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Reply With Quote
  #589  
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Humera's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 7,805
Here's a video of the couple arriving in Yellowknife: CBC.ca Player

Towards the end there were two children waiting to give flowers to Kate, William talked to them for a couple of minutes and held his umbrella over them until Kate finished greeting all the officials. Really sweet of him.
I believe the little girl was cold and that's why William stroked her arm. Towards the end of the clip you can hear a woman offering the girl a sweater.

A couple of screen-shots


Reply With Quote
  #590  
Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Windsor, Canada
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Here's a video of the couple arriving in Yellowknife: CBC.ca Player

Towards the end there were two children waiting to give flowers to Kate, William talked to them for a couple of minutes and held his umbrella over them until Kate finished greeting all the officials. Really sweet of him.
I believe the little girl was cold and that's why William stroked her arm. Towards the end of the clip you can hear a woman offering the girl a sweater.


Thanks so much for this link. I've been watching CPAC and CBC here in Canada constantly but missed this arrival.

There's a lovely photo of Catherine looking at the sign mentioning her grandfather here...

Search and Rescue Demonstration at Summerside Harbour / Démonstration d
Reply With Quote
  #591  
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 8,012
Spletnik -Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge -- A sports day and other activities
Reply With Quote
  #592  
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Marika86's Avatar
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Villa San Giovanni, Italy
Posts: 4,722
Some photogalleries

Prince William &#038; Kate: Boat Race on Prince Edward Island! | Kate Middleton, Prince William : Just Jared

William and Kate take part in a boatrace on day five of their royal North American tour

William et Kate au Canada: Une éblouissante passion et une divine robe S. Burton
__________________
Marika86
"It's very special, as Kate is very special. It's my way of making sure my mother didn't miss out on today and the excitement." Prince William, November 16 2010
Reply With Quote
  #593  
Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,862
Wait...,isn't today Day 5? Yesterday with boatrace Day 4,yes?
Reply With Quote
  #594  
Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,099
A update on the itinerary from @RoyalWeddingCTV: Royal officials are saying Will and Kate will make a stop in Slave Lake, the northern Alberta town that was damaged by wild fire

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...lave-lake.html
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Reply With Quote
  #595  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Meanwhile... back in the UK, I can imagine that there are 4 people that are beaming from ear to ear as they follow William and Kate's Canadian tour. They would be HM, the DoE, Charles and Camilla.

One the most outstanding aspects of this entire tour to me is that both William and Kate did NOT act like they were performing official state duties in going from place to place but more so as a happy couple on a vacation and joining in with the people they meet exploring Canada. They were just as happy to meet the people they did as the people were to meet them. That I think is the pure charisma that is Team Will&Kate. I really don't think either William or Kate know how to put on a facade and when you meet them, what you meet is the real person. This is perhaps why we do see glimpses into how they feel about each other. After all of the years together and keeping what they feel for each other from public view, it must be such a relief to just be able to be who they are and not be afraid to show it.

One time that stood out for me and I really wonder what they were talking about is when William was on walkabout on Canada Day outside the Hall. One person handed William a gift that she had obviously wanted to give to Kate. It was some kind of a circlet-tiara type thing and William held it and scrutinized it and was making comments and obviously asking questions. I will bet my last doughnut that person in the crowd didn't mind one little bit she got William instead of Kate. This alone shows how strong they work together as a team.

And this folks is William and Kate just starting out. They're going to be captivating the world bit by bit.
You said that very eloquently ! I think this team is doing their country and family very proud. Heck, they make me proud, and I'm not even British (go figure) .

I love the 'what you say and what you get' aspect of the tour/couple. I'm a big believer in being oneself regardless of situation, and they're doing that rather well. I can't wait to see/read more.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #596  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:08 PM
bweir's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 98
I have to say that one of my favourite little moments was one captured by CTV yesterday (not sure if CBC got it as well) at the beach clambake when the Duke of Cambridge asked the chef preparing the lobster what they called a particular part of the crustacean in Prince Edward Island. The Chef's response and the Duke and Duchess' reaction to what he said was priceless!
Reply With Quote
  #597  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir
I have to say that one of my favourite little moments was one captured by CTV yesterday (not sure if CBC got it as well) at the beach clambake when the Duke of Cambridge asked the chef preparing the lobster what they called a particular part of the crustacean in Prince Edward Island. The Chef's response and the Duke and Duchess' reaction to what he said was priceless!
What was the Chef's response and their reaction?
Reply With Quote
  #598  
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
A update on the itinerary from @RoyalWeddingCTV: Royal officials are saying Will and Kate will make a stop in Slave Lake, the northern Alberta town that was damaged by wild fire

William and Kate to stop in Slave Lake - Edmonton - CBC News
To me, this says volumes about this couple and their desire to show compassion to those who are in need. Again, well done

Thank you for the post Mia Mae
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #599  
Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
bweir's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
What was the Chef's response and their reaction?
"Well, Sir, here in Prince Edward Island we... we call that sh*t!" - Chef

TRH's guffaws afterwards spoke volumes. lol

Evidently the Duke of Cambridge is not well versed in preparing lobsters.
Reply With Quote
  #600  
Old 07-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir View Post
"Well, Sir, here in Prince Edward Island we... we call that sh*t!" - Chef

TRH's guffaws afterwards spoke volumes. lol

Evidently the Duke of Cambridge is not well versed in preparing lobsters.
Oh goodness! I'm amused (then again, when one is sitting and waiting to hear if she'll be serving on a jury and not having gotten much sleep the night before, it's not very shocking...almost everything becomes amusing).
__________________

__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014 Warren The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 768 10-10-2015 11:38 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of New Zealand - April 7-16, 2014 muriel The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 937 01-14-2015 07:32 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia biography birth britain british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles china chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life fashion and style genetics george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! henry viii history house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical monarchist movements monarchy mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee politics portugal prince harry queen consort queen louise queen victoria solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech st edward sussex swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition united states wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×