Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how easily people can behave judgmentally when they aren't interacting with each other face-to-face, but over the Internet.

We scoff at the rich and famous when they complain because we believe that they have it so easy compared to us, but I believe that public life has its own (different!) challenges that we can't even begin to imagine because we've never been in the public eye. Yeah, sure, the couple have people around them to do things for them that we'd do for ourselves, but can we really handle having to stand outside for hours (often in inclement weather) while our senses of sight, smell, touch, and hearing are being overstimulated; while we know that our every move is being followed by a multitude of cameras that will beam live video all over the globe; and while we know that what we say, do, and wear can and will reflect well or badly on the royal family and the country we are representing?

---

It's amazing how quickly these nine days have passed--it seemed like yesterday that they walked off the plane in Ottawa.

Last edited:
So that's how its done here? Amongst some of the posters? Opinions disagreed with are made fun of? Unpleasant. Unfortunate. jemagre makes good points - she states her opinion well - everyone deserves a fair and respectful hearing without fear of ridicule IMO.

No, when you make nasty spiteful comments about someone who has passed her first major Royal Tour as a Member of the Royal Family w/flying colours, you get called on it. It's one thing to post something critical of someone in the public eye when it's obvious that person *has* made a major boo boo or stupid comment. I'd be first in line to state my displeasure if that was the case.

However, not only does postings like jemagre and yours that I have seen over the last week not only show us what you truly think of Catherine, but also what kind of a person you are as well. Jealousy is never a very nice impression. Which is the only explaination I can possibly think of for why you keep attacking her for no reason whatsoever.

I actually have to laugh at some of the "trying to stir things up" postings of the last few days. It must just be killing all of you who have making these attempts that Kate has done so well for some of you to post some of the things I've read.

The Tour was a Triumph!! Both Kate and William were amazing this week!!

Deal w/it!!

BTW...I have no idea where this "rumour" of them being unhappy to wear the hats came from, but it's the first I've heard it. Considering the source of this "statement", forgive me if I just ignore it.

Sherlock...Well done!! :flowers:

The CBC has several video clips worth watching:

Official Royal Goodbye

Royal Highlights

Diamond's Royal Hug

CPAC will also be showing highlights of the tour.

I am not a Will and Kate follower but this has been a great visit to watch...and what a wonderful launch for the newest member of the royal family. I think it's precisely what the Queen must've been hoping for as she'd been said to be watching this trip closely.

Looking forward to the couple's next visit! Although I think we'll probably see other members of the royal family visit Canada before that.

Question what's CPAC? I'm just asking cause I'd love to watch the tour all over again. Also I wanted to add that even the journalists and other commentators mentioned how it's not easy to have conversations with just anyone especially people you've never met before. So actually I do think it's quite wonderful to see that both W &K have that quality to make absolutely anyone feel at ease.

Last edited:
I remember reading that Diana was once asked what it was like to be a princess and she replied "it's like going to three or four weddings a day - as the bride". We really have no idea how difficult public life can be unless we are IN public life.
Exactly...

No, when you make nasty spiteful comments about someone who has passed her first major Royal Tour as a Member of the Royal Family w/flying colours, you get called on it.

I saw nothing spiteful in what she said - just an opinion. You and I may not agree with the opinion but there is nothing to be 'called on'. IMO.

However, not only does postings like jemagre and yours that I have seen over the last week not only show us what you truly think of Catherine, but also what kind of a person you are as well.

Really? :ermm: It sounds bad whatever you are suggesting but I haven't a clue. You seem to have a vivid imagination.

Jealousy is never a very nice impression. Which is the only explaination I can possibly think of for why you keep attacking her for no reason whatsoever.

Jealousy? :ermm: Amazing. I don't like her make-up. I think that about sums up my criticism - oh, and that she is too thin. That latter has me concerned because she is a role model. That's it. No attacks - just my opinion like anyone else's.

I actually have to laugh at some of the "trying to stir things up" postings of the last few days. It must just be killing all of you who have making these attempts that Kate has done so well for some of you to post some of the things I've read.

My posts have been intense for you it seems - you have interpreted them in a very negative way. Puzzles me but nothing is 'killing' me. I have been sharing like everybody else. I am on the thread because I have an interest. I do enjoy the fashion. I can enjoy and still have observations. Clearly I don't share your passion.

The Tour was a Triumph!! Both Kate and William were amazing this week!!

Deal w/it!!

That's great! I can see that it was. Why in the world would you think someone can't 'deal with it'? :ermm:

I am not a subject of William and Kate. My interest is not the interest of a Canadian. That's the way it is. I am happy for the Canadians. I am happy for you that you are happy. But I'm not sure why your happiness should then mean you oppress others into silence.

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but this is the text of Prince William's final speech in Calgary.

Prince William

I loved how he said that Canada had exceeded their expectations, and that they would return. I've noticed that William and Kate have both seemed genuinely fascinated during their tour of Canada, and I think Canada should be proud! Canadians across the country have been fascinated by the royals, but I think William and Kate were also fascinated by the country. We have a spectacular nation that we too easily underestimate. Canadians were eager to show off our nation to William and Kate, and they, in turn, were down-to-earth and approachable and suitably impressed. I don't think it's an exaggeration when I say that with this tour, William and Kate have probably ensured the monarchy will be around in Canada for some time to come.

William's reaction. :lol: I wish this video had the entire Stan visit because both of their reactions/quips were pretty funny.

Last edited:
:previous:Exactly, it's not like she climbed a mountain in the Canadian Rockies or went camping with the bare necessities.:bang:

:previous:Right! She is an adult therefore should be able take care of herself, no excuses!:angry:

:previous: Great observation...a good meal, couple hours of sleep and a quick shower is all the rest they needed. Anymore is just being lazy!

:previous:I completely agree with you...3 mos. as a member of the BRF is plenty of time to be prepared to make speeches, review troops, perform ceremonial openings, etc. and by herself nonetheless!

:previous:Ha! Heels, people swing hockey sticks with ice skates on! Heels...:argh:

:previous:That was a bad thing to do...even if they wore them later on that was still wrong...:sad:

:previous:Yeah, and she should stop recycling her outfits...with all that money she should just stop kidding herself and buy a whole new wardrobe.

:previous:I agree...again she's been married for nearly 3mos...I don't know what's taking her so long.:unsure:

I just wanted to say that I was not offended. :flowers:

I know that people disagree with me but I think that its okay because not every loves the work they are doing and people should point that out.

Just to let everyone with BBC World know they are showing a highlight show of the trip to Canada in about 20 minutes!!

That IS disgraceful, and I think it's a pretty blatant form of sexual harassment. Reports from the day said that it was insanely windy and no one expected it to be that bad. Kate likely did all she could to prevent it, and humiliating her like that is uncalled for.

I agree they shouldn't have published the photos, but could she not have worn slacks?

ghost_night554 said:
Very disgraceful thing of the Toronto Sun did.This photo was just printed this morning

Kates Marilyn moment in Calgary | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
Wind blows Kate's dress sky-high!

Terrible!. Doesn't surprise me that it is the Sun publishing them...how low can publishers get!?!.
At least it's not as bad as some of the photogs in Britain I've seen footage of - sticking their camers up celebrites skirts as they are walking away...how can they possibly get away with that!

lancchick said:
I agree they shouldn't have published the photos, but could she not have worn slacks?

Wind was unexpected and she was on her way to an event she needed to be dressed appropriately for. Plus she's not the one at fault here. I know she's a public figure, but I don't think that makes it ok for someone to take advantage of an embarrassing moment beyond her control and that's what this paper did.

Wind was unexpected and she was on her way to an event she needed to be dressed appropriately for. Plus she's not the one at fault here. I know she's a public figure, but I don't think that makes it ok for someone to take advantage of an embarrassing moment beyond her control and that's what this paper did.

Although I deem publishing that photo of Kate as rude, crude and downright lewd, our Kate has one very good looking public figure. Running pictures like this I think does nothing but put the publication in a very bad light.

Osipi said:
Although I deem publishing that photo of Kate as rude, crude and downright lewd, our Kate has one very good looking public figure. Running pictures like this I think does nothing but put the publication in a very bad light.

Agreed, I don't think it reflects negatively on Kate at all

I just wanted to say that I was not offended. :flowers:

I know that people disagree with me but I think that its okay because not every loves the work they are doing and people should point that out.

I still do think you grossly underestimate what this tour was like for Catherine. Even Sarah, Duchess of York has said that tours like these are gruelling. They are not as "easy" as they might look to you.

A bit more respect for at least holding on so long and not letting on how tired one must be won't hurt and is in its proper place - IMO.

That IS disgraceful, and I think it's a pretty blatant form of sexual harassment. Reports from the day said that it was insanely windy and no one expected it to be that bad. Kate likely did all she could to prevent it, and humiliating her like that is uncalled for.

This wasn't sexual harassment, and that's actually demeaning to women (and men) who have suffered from actual sexual harassment. The kinds of cameras photogs use in situations like this have a rapid shutter. Meaning, you push the button once, and it'll snap five or six pictures in a row. How do we know that when that particular photographer pushed the shutter, the wind hadn't blow up the back of her dress? You're basically accusing this person of intentionally taking a picture of a woman's underwear, which is incredibly, incredibly rude.

You don't accuse people of something that serious without iron-clad proof.

The Sun is not the first publication to print those pics. Some posters even put the up here. Relax people! It's not 'disgracful' , it's how it is as a public figure and I'd venture it bothers the Duchess far less then anyone else....heck, it's kudos to her that she looks so good, I see no cellulite :) I'm just saying it's not that bad....

I agree completely. The photographer even admits he didn't know he had such a photo until he went back and reviewed the shots. A gentlemen and anyone who would ever want permission to be part of a photo crew again, would have deleted them.

This wasn't sexual harassment, and that's actually demeaning to women (and men) who have suffered from actual sexual harassment. The kinds of cameras photogs use in situations like this have a rapid shutter. Meaning, you push the button once, and it'll snap five or six pictures in a row. How do we know that when that particular photographer pushed the shutter, the wind hadn't blow up the back of her dress? You're basically accusing this person of intentionally taking a picture of a woman's underwear, which is incredibly, incredibly rude.

You don't accuse people of something that serious without iron-clad proof.

The photographer may not have realized what he/she shot, but the editor sure knew what he/she was publishing. Shame on the editor for showing his/her classless side.

Guys, it's the Sun. This is the paper that has a Daily SUNshine girl in a bikini on Page Three every single day in their paper. This doesn't shock me in the slightest they'd publish that picture. It's their MO in fact.

It does lower my opinion of them, which is surprising. I didn't think that was possible.

Very touching indeed. If anyone would know about looking after a younger sibling after losing a parent far too early, it would be William.

Duchess of Durham said:
The photographer may not have realized what he/she shot, but the editor sure knew what he/she was publishing. Shame on the editor for showing his/her classless side.

Yup, and the editor in question knew there was no newsworthy reason to publish the photo. Embarrassing the duchess and adding the comments about the type of underwear she wears IS most certainly sexual harassment, albeit from the editor, not the photographer. (although the photographer did send it along to the editor)

Taking the picture probably was unintentional, using it WAS intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom