Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweetest part of the entire tour. How wonderful they were able to grant her wish...
And if I understand from reading the Royal Tour article correctly, Diamond gets to go to Disneyland too! How wonderful! I shared the letter with my mom- we both are in tears!

The pictures from Calgary are wonderful. I wasn't sure how they'd both look in stetsons but they pulled it off really well. Their entire outfits looked natural and quite cute.

I also thought that the visit to Slave Lake was a great gesture on their part. Very often even terrible incidents like the wildfires that ravaged that town tend to get forgotten with time or at least disappear from the public's attention when they're no longer front page news. William and Kate's visit reminded us of the catastrophe that took place only a couple of months ago and the toll it took on the lives of its people. The residents clearly appreciated and were uplifted by this visit and felt that they hadn't been forgotten. The royal couple had a private meeting with them as well.

This reminds me of the Queen Elizabeth's visit in 2005, when she visited the families of the four Mounties who had been killed just a few months earlier. She attended a public ceremony to honour the victims and then met privately with their families. Therefore William and Kate's visit to Slave Lake comes as no surprise to me and I rather expected it. This is the sort of thing the royal family always does, not just in Canada but at home and elsewhere in the Commonwealth.

William and Kate spent their last 24 hrs at Skoki Lodge. Details here....
Twitter

Pic of the Lodge
#royaltour #Canada #Calgary This is where William and Kate sp... on Twitpic

That looks like a lovely place to stay. It has also become somewhat of a tradition for members of the royal family to stay at such places during their visits to Alberta.

William's great-grandparents stayed at Jasper Park Lodge in 1939 (a beautiful photo of the royal couple)

I loved William's speech from last night! Here's the
full text

And of course, this was my favourite part:

In 1939, my great grandmother, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, said of her first Tour of Canada with her husband, King George VI: `Canada made us`. Catherine and I now know very well what she meant.

Canada has far surpassed all that we were promised. Our promise to Canada is that we shall return.

Hello, my first post here. I wanted to say how much I enjoyed this tour and I think they couldn't have chosen a better country for their first official tour. Beautiful country and such a warm and welcoming people.

I have question, weren't they supposed to attend a black tie event tonight?

Are there any pictures or information from the couples event which was at 7:25 p.m. Government of Canada Reception at BMO Centre

Are there any pictures or information from the couples event which was at 7:25 p.m. Government of Canada Reception at BMO Centre
The BMO event was the one where William made the speech promising to return to Canada.
Video from the speeches: CBC.ca Player
Photo:Photo from Reuters Pictures ther are many more on The Canadian Heritage's flickr account and on Getty Images
There is more footage from inside the National showed it but it seems none of the agencies have had a chance to upload it yet.

There was no black tie event,aliela. The only one I know of will be the Bafta's in LA on Saturday.

Going to bed now see you all bright and early tomorrow morning for the end of this tour.

Last edited:
The BMO event was the one where William made the speech promising to return to Canada.
Video from the speeches: CBC.ca Player

I was going to post this video. Great speeches, the PM's was funny and of course William and Kate look really good.

The PM announced the Government of Canada's gift to the couple, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Parks Canada Youth Ambassadors Program which marks the 100 years of Parks Canada.

I have to add that I loved the opening of William's speech and the laugh!

Some great quotes also from the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, about her connection and fondness for Canada (both from the PM and the Duke)

The article is cute. It must indeed have been nice for William to get out of those suits in this hot weather and he did look really good. I'm glad the couple enjoyed themselves so much. You could see it on their faces.
Here's a great photo of William taking on the reins.

Last edited:
William appears to be wearing the same thing as last night...more white for Kate.

William and Kate have now left. I assume they have gone to change and then they head off to the zoo

ghost_night554 said:
William and Kate have now left. I assume they have gone to change and then they head off to the zoo

I love the Calgary Zoo!!. It's one of the best ones I've been to. So jealous!! LOL

Loved that they attended the Parade attired, well at least Kate was, in new Western garb. Love that Will wore what he did last night, as it shows he really could care less about the clothes, but rather getting on w/things.

I did have to take a break from coverage, as I'm also a Space Geek and it was w/a heavy heart I watched Atlantis and the Shuttle Program's Final Launch. A bittersweet day all around w/that and the end of the visit to Canada.

May we see them back here again very, very soon!! :eek:)

I would bawl my eyes out if he were to ever sing "Remember When", or even "livin' on Love".

So the last day's coverage on CBC starts at 4am!!!! OMG!!! It better be good! LOL
Does anyone know how well CBC is going to cover them in Cali?

Oh God...then I'm glad I won't be the only one blubbering like a dork. He has a way with expressing his emotions with his facial expressions, so a song with moving lyrics will just do me in.

I had tech issues again, so I missed whatever coverage they had last night or this morning. Bummer.

Georginaitv georgina brewer

Kate wearing a satin and wool scarlett Marianne coat-dress by Catherine Walker, with same brooch that she wore on Canada Day #royaltour
Pics are coming up apparently. I dunno where they're showing this can't find this on CBC

Regaleyes Mark Stewart

Kate makes another patriotic fashion choice to say goodbye to Canada wearing a red Catherine Walker coatdress & the Queens maple leaf brooch
monarchist Monarchist League

The little girl giving Catherine flowers lives in a shelter with her mother. #royaltour

What a dream come true! A little girl +her mom living in a shelter get to see Will + Kate because Melissa donated her wristbands! #royalsyyc
Will and Kate have arrived at zoo. Kate accepted flowers from little girls on the walkway. Beaming faces from royal watchers. #royalsyyc

Last edited:
People in the public eye who I most admire tend to be ones that have that quality- they do not do charity work for " show", they do it, they get involved, because they care. They are not part of charity to be wealthy figureheads, to give money, but never to give their heart and time in service to others. Instead they do give their hearts and time in service to others in service. This is certainly true of W&C.

BTW. I just read the story about little Diamond!:twohearts: Where are the tissues? Need I say more? That speaks volumes to the kinds of people W& C are. As does them going to see fire victims!And the list of compassionate acts goes on and on, and to think this is only the first tour! The UK is lucky... The world is lucky...
To top it all off, my heart is a- flutter at the thought of Will in a Stetson, and plaid shirt. Kate is one lucky gal!...:cool:;)
Added: I just read the letter Diamond wrote! Man oh man, Daria you were right, there are no words!

I was talking to one of my close friends last evening, and couldn't help but ramble on and on about the Canada visit. This person is not into royalty, but started to see my reasons for liking William and Catherine after hearing more about them prior to the wedding and of course my 'updates'. She's a big fan of Angelina Jolie, and told me several times that she likes her because she actually gets hands-on involved in the charities she supports. I thought about that statement while following the tour, and couldn't help but make the comparison. It's wonderful to see. My friend will not become a royal watcher anytime soon, but she does hold a bit of a soft spot for these two (more for Catherine than William though).

Kate in Canada? That's the title.

You think she came by herself:ROFLMAO:

What did John F. Kennedy say? I am the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris!

Yep, that's the title :bang: typical ITV I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom