Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Canada - June 30-July 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday is their scheduled day off. Speculation is that they would be going to Jasper in Alberta. Now it has been announced that they will stop in Slave Lake to see the effects of the fire, visit with people etc.

It is a small detour for them. Slave Lake is sort of on their way to (Jasper) and Calgary. I'm sure their visit will be greatly appreciated. The town has been devastated.

I don't see Kate getting any additional gifts of diamonds (Tiara) The NWT is where that gift would occur (or Ottawa) The diamonds come from the NWT.

I read in one article today that Andrew would be going to the NWT later on in the summer. A second article stated that he would be taking Beatrice and Eugenie with him. That would be fabulous. He's vacationed their several times. I don't believe the girls have ever been to Canada. The Duke of York has many ties to this country, so it would be nice if that continued in the York family.

118253015.jpg

Come on over!!! lots to see and do!! :)

:flowers::flowers::flowers: - Would love to! - I'd love to meet with another "Royal Watcher" (My Husband & 2 Son's aren't interested!!)
- let's do a 'High Tea' & if you ever come to Aus; come by for a Barbie!! (BBQ) lol
xoxos

- What a lovely gift idea.
Diamond - always good in my book!
Simple yet very very wear-able for the future.
It will be interesting to see them wearing them after this trip ... lets look for it in the future.
xoxos

Years from now I'm hoping that we'll be able to say, "Look, she's wearing that brooch from Canada. I remember when....and they were just newlyweds." Fun to start out with them on their journey together! :heart:

Cute video.....

William pushing Kate's hair behind her ear and fixing her hoodie :wub:

CBC.ca Player

Request--- Can someone make this video downloadable? I want to save it!

Last edited:
How incredibly romantic and wonderful that sounds...I love the way William is always managing to do what he wants to do while throwing off the Press so that there are NO photos! :whistling:

Harrington Lake is the Private Holiday Property of the Prime Minister of Canada and is one of the perks of the office. As such, the security's pretty tight, so no way, no how the Press would have gotten in there.

I'm glad the Harpers extended the use of the Cottage and property for Will and Kate's use on Canada Day. Sounds like it was a lovely afternoon for them.

Lovely video. Thank you for posting! Seems as this is getting more and more an adventure trip...
The more I see of the young duchess, the more I come to love her!

it was by no means a glamorous tour but i have to say that they have done a beautiful job on their first trip out representing the monarchy. it has certainly given catherine a good idea that her life won't be all glamour and sparkle and that she will get to meet and see how her husband's future subjects live in this part of the world. the UK should be extremely proud of them. i love the way they actually want to stop and talk to people, not just shake hands, say thank you and move on but actually speak with them. and they appear genuinely interested in the gifts they receive and everything they do. i love this couple...they're real and they're fabulous.

I was in the crowd at Province House (Prince Edward Island) yesterday when William and Catherine visited. I (49) drove for five hours, waited in a "prize spot" with my daughter (24) and my niece (16) for nearly six hours. Anyone who knows me well thought I was joking when I told them what I intended to do. (I am not a "fan" of anything in the sense these acts imply and it is VERY out of normal character for me to do such a thing).

The organizers of the event were goofs and the set up was goofy and William was mostly a disembodied voice no one could see because the podium was facing the building and not the crowd (weird but true) and the long drive and wait resulted in a VERY brief glimpse of them.

We talked all the way home about it. We were all cranky at the organizers and the people who are responsible for creating the public itineraries and publishing said information to internet and print sources. There was a lot of confusion about where they would be, what was public and what was private and how one got to those places, etc. I have some -small- bit of influence in my professional role and fully intend to make sure that the people who put it together hear my critique of the form of the event (for whatever good it will do).

That said - each of us is very glad we did it and, disappointment aside, feel that the experience was not just a worthwhile one, but a VERY worthwhile one. Why? Because we felt like we were part of a "tribe", if you will. Because we felt we were giving them what the Monarchy needs - visible, public, active support. Because we felt that we were getting what we needed back from the Monarchy - a willingness to move amongst us, meet us, share in our traditions and successes and understand what we love, want and need.

For a short while we were amongst tens of thousands of other Canadians, celebrating our future monarch, sharing our country and our traditions with them. It was very cool. There was a sense of anticipation in the crowd - not just for the coming moments and days and weeks - but for the years and generations. I likely won't be alive when William takes the throne (unless something terrible happens) - but my daughter and niece will.

They have been polite, interested, engaging, fun but not frivolous, and altogether charming - approachable in the way they should be, distant in the way they need to be.

We all felt it was a bit of a Kennedy scenario... "Ask not what your [monarchy] can do for you - ask what you can do for your {monarchy[]." We felt what we could do for it was ... show up, cheer, wave and welcome them. It was a marvelous experience.

Catherine J, thanks for sharing your day with us. Such a shame you couldn't spend some more time with them. Love your attitude towards it too.
You were luckier than a friends of mine, who lives in Montreal. She was so excited to get to see them or even snap some pictures, but with the protesters, security officers didn't allow the couple to do an walkabout. Few party pooped for other.
I don't even think about meting them, would love to, but seems so far away from my reality. Perhaps they will come for the World Cup. One can day dream

WillKate said:
Cute video.....

William pushing Kate's hair behind her ear and fixing her hoodie :wub:

CBC.ca Player

Request--- Can someone make this video downloadable? I want to save it!

2 words...stream transport. I'm able to save most (if not all) online videos using it. Download the program, play the video, click download and it's saved to your hard drive.!!!! I love this program!

2 words...stream transport. I'm able to save most (if not all) online videos using it. Download the program, play the video, click download and it's saved to your hard drive.!!!! I love this program!

Queen Penelope, you have already become a Empress in my house. Great tip!;)

it was by no means a glamorous tour but i have to say that they have done a beautiful job on their first trip out representing the monarchy. it has certainly given catherine a good idea that her life won't be all glamour and sparkle and that she will get to meet and see how her husband's future subjects live in this part of the world. the UK should be extremely proud of them. i love the way they actually want to stop and talk to people, not just shake hands, say thank you and move on but actually speak with them. and they appear genuinely interested in the gifts they receive and everything they do. i love this couple...they're real and they're fabulous.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head!

Meanwhile... back in the UK, I can imagine that there are 4 people that are beaming from ear to ear as they follow William and Kate's Canadian tour. They would be HM, the DoE, Charles and Camilla.

One the most outstanding aspects of this entire tour to me is that both William and Kate did NOT act like they were performing official state duties in going from place to place but more so as a happy couple on a vacation and joining in with the people they meet exploring Canada. They were just as happy to meet the people they did as the people were to meet them. That I think is the pure charisma that is Team Will&Kate. I really don't think either William or Kate know how to put on a facade and when you meet them, what you meet is the real person. This is perhaps why we do see glimpses into how they feel about each other. After all of the years together and keeping what they feel for each other from public view, it must be such a relief to just be able to be who they are and not be afraid to show it.

One time that stood out for me and I really wonder what they were talking about is when William was on walkabout on Canada Day outside the Hall. One person handed William a gift that she had obviously wanted to give to Kate. It was some kind of a circlet-tiara type thing and William held it and scrutinized it and was making comments and obviously asking questions. I will bet my last doughnut that person in the crowd didn't mind one little bit she got William instead of Kate. This alone shows how strong they work together as a team.

And this folks is William and Kate just starting out. They're going to be captivating the world bit by bit.
Agree with you 110%! They floor me with their level of kindness and compassion. When they said that prayer that they wrote, they meant it.

Last edited:

Queen Penelope, you have already become a Empress in my house. Great tip!;)

Thanks for the tip; I use another download program but more options never hurt!

On topic: I love those little gestures that Catherine and William make towards each other!

Last edited:
Mia_mae and Skippy...

Your very welcome!! I've got to keep lots of videos because of this program!!!

I love the footage of them at the dragonboat race...had to keep that one!!! :)

Watching the live stream from the Slave Lake visit. The royal couple just came people are crying they're so happy and grateful. Heck it's making me cry. They went into the gymnasium to meet with families not sure if we'll get any pics from that but after they will come out and do a walkabout and greet the 2,000 people outside. They were chanting Will & Kate when the couple emerged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom