Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This really was a great tour. I think it's going to be remembered as a huge
moment in Kate's transformation into a senior royal.

I agree, I know William, the royal family and the Middleton's must be very proud on how much she has grown into her role as a senior royal and the way she is helping and supporting William. I'm also proud of how William is supporting her as well. The love and support must be on both ends and you can really tell that's the case.

Diana once said that her and Charles's official tour to Australia and New Zealand had changed her, I think the same may have happened to Catherine.

William, Kate and George depart-
"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are heading for home after their three-week official visit to Australia and New Zealand with baby George. The royal couple's last day in Australia was spent marking the 99th anniversary of the dawn landing of Anzac troops at Gallipoli. Kate, wearing the outfit she wore to the national service, carried baby George up the stairs and into the plane, where the family waved goodbye to Australia. They'll fly to Sydney before transferring to another flight for the trip home."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Gorgeous photo of William comforting George from @MEDIAMODEAus pic.twitter.com/W4wTCgHNDH
William, Kate & George wave goodbye from the plane door as #royalvisitaus ends via @hellomag http://goo.gl/aCm8um pic.twitter.com/FkbgpJrjOB
The Royals wave farewell as they depart Canberra. Photo @ellinghausen via @theage_photo #Royals pic.twitter.com/qF231UxFPQ

Last edited:
Cannot believe the Royal Tour has come and gone. I enjoyed watching every moment on TV, reading every article in newspapers and comments on various message boards. Thank you to all who contributed in keeping us up to date with all the visits of Will and Kate ( and George on occasions.) He definitely was the star of the show. I expect to have some withdrawal symptoms over the next few days. THANK YOU everyone.

Honestly out of the whole trip, I am very surprised on how well George behaved during the tour. Every pictures, videos shows that the 8-months old is born to be in the public eyes for the whole of his life - totally unfazed by all the attention and new faces in front of him. Instead he remains looking excited and sociable - love how he was crawling among all the toys during his first official engagement.

Has been a wonderful tour both NZ and Australia loved seeing the royals in the daily news. It was very moving to see the couple at the dawn service I really like that the only thing that ruined today was Tony Abbott getting his mug in every shot was sickening to see him grovelling to the royal couple blegh!!!! :sick:

Honestly out of the whole trip, I am very surprised on how well George behaved during the tour. Every pictures, videos shows that the 8-months old is born to be in the public eyes for the whole of his life - totally unfazed by all the attention and new faces in front of him. Instead he remains looking excited and sociable - love how he was crawling among all the toys during his first official engagement.

I agree. He was the star performer!! Not a tear or tantrum in sight. Feisty baby which is awesome. What I did want to see was the attachment between him and his parents. I did not observe it. Not even in the candid photos taken of their day off in Canberra.

Was looking out for it on their last photos as they left but...NADA!:ermm:

What I did want to see was the attachment between him and his parents. I did not observe it. Not even in the candid photos taken of their day off in Canberra.

What exactly would have satisfied your wish? To me there were many subconscious moments when both parents demonstrated their genuine affection. Given that most of the time these moments were in the public eye -I think it speaks volumes for the close relationship between parents and child. You say the candid photos didn't achieve this either - again what would have pleased you?

Well, now that the show is over, what's the word on the street in Australia?

Do people find it made a difference?

What visit?!?

A sigh of relief. Because no one screwed up?

This visit just emphasized, the need for Australia having it's own official head of state?

Or an absolutely "No way!!" to the above?

I think you get my meaning. ;)

It has been so lovely having having the royal couple (trio) in Australia for a visit. I hope that they will return again soon and visit Perth too.

I agree. He was the star performer!! Not a tear or tantrum in sight. Feisty baby which is awesome. What I did want to see was the attachment between him and his parents. I did not observe it. Not even in the candid photos taken of their day off in Canberra.

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/i...e-tour-australia-and-new-zealand-day-14-1.jpg

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/s.../2014_revamp_615x346/20140409/bbygeorge3e.jpg

Nada?!? The "attachment" between parents and baby was clearly visible every time they appeared together. I cannot think of how you came to this conclusion (yes, I know, you don´t like the Cambridges, heaven knows why, but still bother to post on this thread, but still...).

I think this was one of the most successful royal tours ever; HM must be more than satisfied and pleased with the Cambridges. W and C have done such a great job for the Monarchy already! Every appearance well poised and royal while still accessable and caring. They´ve won my deepest respect.

Last edited:
Well, now that the show is over, what's the word on the street in Australia?
From Western Australia, no real concern! But I guess others will interpret this as angst because we were left out of the itinerary. I have dropped the observation amongst college colleagues, neighbours, family, other school parents and to a shop assistant, that they Cambridge family are in Australia the response was blank looks & shrugs of shoulders, then important news was discussed. Soo...........

Last edited by a moderator:
polyesco and Tiggersk8 I am glad you appreciated the link.

Muhler. I think you get the feeling from this thread :) The young family was enormously popular and has re-energised the feeling towards the BRF. I think the ties to the BRF are much appreciated and valued and as no real alternative has been put forward for a head of state, the general feeling is to keep the status quo.

A few years ago without a new generation of working royals, the monarchy was losing it's lustre. But this tour has put paid to that for some time.

HM must be very pleased.

Do we know when they land in UK and if we will see photos? Thanks in advance for info.

But isn't ANZAC an Australian/New Zealand thing? What's Turkey got to do with it?
Gallipoli is significant for Turkey as it is significant for the nation-building of Australia and New Zealand.

Mustafa Kemal, the creator of the modern Turkish state, was the outstanding front-line commander on either side at Gallipoli and was respected by the Allies for his chivalry in victory. His 1934 speech commemorating the loss of the hundreds of thousands of Turkish and Anzac soldiers who perished during the Gallipoli campaign is inscribed on a monument at Anzac Cove (and on the Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Anzac Parade, Canberra):

Those heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives … you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…
You, the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom
and are in peace.

After having lost their lives on this land, they have become our sons as well.

Lest we forget.​

Last edited:
Do we know when they land in UK and if we will see photos? Thanks in advance for info.

Yes - I'm curious too and a bit surprised to not find any tweeted pics of the transfer to commercial in Sidney. I did bother to look - maybe my search skills are taking the day off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE

Was looking out for it on their last photos as they left but...NADA!

Perhaps you haven't known many babies.

Gosh, is the tour over already? Time flies! I enjoyed looking at the photos from it, and agree with those who think that it was successful. I loved the photos of both Catherine and William meeting the children. I liked how we got to see Prince George quite a lot, who is adorable. Although I must admit that I was a little disappointed not to get a photocall of the family like in the 80s with Diana, Charles and baby William. The staff did not looked pleased when carrying that wombat and George's other gifts! I wonder if they thought "oh God, do we have to lug all of this stuff back?" :D

Wearing a bright red cardigan against a chilling Canberra wind, Prince George waved goodbye to Australia today - even if he was looking in the wrong direction.
Wrapped in his mother's arms as she and the Duke gave their own farewell waves, Prince George squirmed about as they stood at the top of their aircraft's steps.
The 9-month-old future King looked pleasantly disgruntled as the Royal couple gave Australians their last glimpse of their cute son before flying back to London.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's little prince bids farewell as Royal tour of Australia comes to an end | Mail Online

There are some good photos of the Cambridges in this article.

This royal tour ended, i must say that i'm favourably impressed by the professionalism and the energy brought by this young couple. It was of course a PR triumph and little George was an extra aaaaw factor. Kate was just perfect and i guess she's now plainly able to fulfill her royal life with grace, dignity and a good amount of strength. I was a little worried by the not so much favourable press seen here and there over the past few months and the somewhat workshy attitude sometimes associated with the Cambridges. Now i can say they are without doubt highly trained royal pros and a great asset for the BRF. Just hope to see them a little more active on the day to day royal engagment front in the near future...

Last edited:
Rosemary also has special significance for ANZAC as it grew wild at Gallipoli.

From an article in the Telegraph by an experienced royal reporter.

William the Conqueror - of nerves
The Duke of Cambridge has admitted in the past that he suffers from nerves on royal tours, finding the prospect of chatting to crowds a daunting one. But royal aides will have been pleased to see the way he conquered his apprehension to give his most confidence performance to date. Where he has been self-conscious in the past as he shook hands on royal walkabouts, he was spontaneous and witty this time around, tickling children and making them squeal with delight.

There is also a lot being written about how well these two work as a team.

IT will be interesting to see what role William takes on next (Foreign office not confirmed, but announcement expected "soon").

Lady Rosie said:
The young family was enormously popular and has re-energised the feeling towards the BRF. I think the ties to the BRF are much appreciated and valued and as no real alternative has been put forward for a head of state, the general feeling is to keep the status quo.

A few years ago without a new generation of working royals, the monarchy was losing it's lustre. But this tour has put paid to that for some time.

HM must be very pleased.

I totally agree with this assessment. Kate and William have injected some much needed glamour that has been missing for a while.

I agree. I think they did a fabulous job on this trip. They showed that they are a caring and compassionate couple who are not afraid to spend time with people and maybe break a few rules of royal protocol. I applaud the effort they made in trying to be somewhat normal. Or at least as normal as possible for a royal. Good job.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree, I too hope to see them carrying out more official engagements in the UK. I think George's full-time nanny (Maria) is a great deal of help to them and William & Catherine are now able to do more and travel with or without George.

They did a fantastic job on this tour indeed. I know their families back at home must be proud, especially Her Majesty The Queen.

Back
Top Bottom