Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its McQueen
Thanks RoyalDaisy - I just saw your post. It looks to be a very comfortable outfit. I'm assuming it's not too hot in South Australia, with those long sleeves. I think they both look Royal - but not overdone.
This industrial town, Elizabeth, is going to lose a major employer when the ''Holden'' car factory closes down in a couple of years - that's why the Duke and Duchess are driving about in ''Holden'' cars.
The man from the ''Women's Weekly'' said he and his staff were still going through photos at midnight last night trying to select which they will publish in their souvenir issue - out on May 1st. They went through nearly a thousand shots of the Duchess from the last couple of days, and couldn't find one where she didn't look composed, was caught pulling a face, looking tired or bored.

As Queensland TV carried the national coverage for their day, we're now getting South Australia's coverage for today.
People weren't allowed to camp overnight because of security - but some started to arrive at 3.45am this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canberra tomorrow
"According to the ACT Chief Minister Katy Gallagher, Prince William, Kate and son Prince George are saving the best for last on their 10-day tour of Australia. During their visit to Canberra tomorrow, they'll be planting a tree at the National Arboretum, visiting Parliament House, touring the National Portrait Gallery and wrapping up the day with a reception hosted by the Governor-General Peter Cosgrove."
Live Blog: Royal visit Down Under - National - NZ Herald News

To put things into persepctive in regards to PR:

W&K's visit to New Zealand and Australia has gotten a pretty good coverage in the press here in Denmark. Especially considering that's it's on the other side of the globe, that we have our own royal family and that the BRF as a consequence isn't that interesting or wellknown to the general public.

Here are two examples: a 110 pic gallery of the visit so far, - no doubt to be updated: Se alle billederne: William, Kate og George på besøg i Australien | www.bt.dk
And article with pics comparing W&K to Diana and Charles at Ayers Rock (sorry can't remember the aboriginal name off hand): Se billedet: Kate og William kopierede Charles og Diana - Royale | www.bt.dk

And that's from one nation wide newspaper.

Last edited:
Muhler,
Thank you for your links.:) It is remarkable as you say for DK to have such coverage for another RF. The family has been very well received. Lots of media coverage and a regeneration of goodwill for the BRF as a consequence. The new generation of royalty i.e. William, Catherine and Harry is really touching a chord with us here.

The aboriginal name for Ayres Rock is Uluru. An ancestor of mine discovered The Olgas ( Kata Juta) which is another rock formation near Uluru.

Next week Kate and William celebrate 3 years of marriage. They still look as happy as they were on their wedding day pic.twitter.com/JI3KXD2BXf

Paul Harrison@SkyNewsRoyal 16h
#RoyalTour 'William, Kate and George: Downunder', #Sky1 Sat 6pm: What are the tour goals? And do they achieve them? pic.twitter.com/LTjCguBRyL
#RoyalVisitAus Want to watch the whole tour in 1 hour? Then watch this on #Sky1 on Saturday: pic.twitter.com/ADGyNAHN4O

Royal Visit | 9 News Adelaide - YouTube

Last edited:
According to Tim Ewart of ITV, William and Catherine have been told of the death of MArk Shand

Kate & William in Canberra told of Mark Shand's death - ITV News

I think that after a suitable period of time, William may take up leading Mark's elephant charity.

EDIT: Ive read that Mark Shand was in fact a Trustee of the Charity - sorry for error. But I think William would love to get involved.

Last edited:
Patron not leading the charity. It would need total dedication.

:previous:
I could see Charles, Camila, William, Catherine and Harry all getting involved.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 10m
#royal #Beaking Ken Palace: "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were saddened to learn this morning of the tragic death of Mark Shand..."

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 9m
#royal Kensington Palace re William & Kate reax: "...Their thoughts are with The Duchess of Cornwall and her family at this time."

Bright, bright green for the Duchess at today's tree-planting. And the Duke is being reported as wearing a gold tie - though it doesn't come across as gold on my telly. Australia's National colours are green and gold.
And bright, bright Autumn sunshine - with a bit of a breeze.

Six year old twin boys helped the Duke and Duchess by watering the English Oak - little red watering cans - I guess they get to keep those :lol:.
Pod Playground looks fun.
The National Aboretum is being planted in an area previously burnt bare by bushfire.
The Danish Crown Prince Couple, and the Sultan of Brunei, have planted a tree already.

The Duchess' outfit is by Catherine Walker.

Off to Parliment House next for the Duke's speech.
(Parliment House is is ''buried'' under one of Canberra's hills - large flag-pole on top, with grass growing up and over it.)
TV broadcast now from inside the Great Hall of Parliment House, with people behind ropes waiting for the Royals.
The Hall is marble - with fossils caught within the marble. There is a small sea-horse on one of the steps everyone tries to find.
Singer Gurrumul Yunupingu can be head rehearsing for this afternoon's event.
A couple of sneezes from W when he got out of the car for the tree-planting - Australia's pollens etc different to UK maybe.

Really, a bright green? I can't wait to see those pictures. I hope William doesn't call Kate a lime! :lol:

Sun Lion- :previous: One wonders what William's comment on today's bright outfit will be?:lol:
Catherine Walker-:flowers:
Barrenness of Books- - limes, bananas, we can have a fruit salad!:lol:

Last edited:
Reporters think the Duchess may change clothes between events.
Now after noon local time, so maybe they've ducked back to see PG at Yarralumla for lunch, and the Duchess will be able to try another outfit.
P.S. I love colour - brights, pastels, anything - fruit salad sounds good to me!
Arrived - same outfit.
Traditional Greeting now, and meeting our Federal politicians.

I like that green dress! William's tie looks grey to me, not gold. *peers closely at photo* Actually it looks like something from Christian Grey's wardrobe.

When is the Gov. Gen.'s reception? What time?
Bring on the still photos! I'm dying to see this dress.

The Duke said - in his speech - that he and Prince Harry will be attending next year's Anzac ceremonies at Gallipoli.

(In Turkey if you weren't sure - big event - one hundred year anniversary.

People had to enter a ballot to get the chance to be allowed to be there.)

Last edited:
Thanks- never heard of the place. But isn't ANZAC an Australian/New Zealand thing? What's Turkey got to do with it?
Something to look forward to- if Prince William says he's going, then there is no guesswork. Those Royals sure do plan in advance!
Sun Lion- what time is the Gov. Gen.'s reception?
And can we have some still photos of Kate and her green dress please?

Last edited:
The Duchess has teamed the outfit with emerald and diamond drop-earings and nude-coloured heels. Hair loose.

Interesting idea that if the Gallipoli Campaign had not failed in 1915, and the Allied troops had been able to move onwards, then Russia may not have lost it's Royal Family and fallen to Communism. Also, if on their side, the Russian Royals had gotten their jewels out, Communism may have failed, as they had to break up those jewels to pay to get a foothold in the early years. (Maybe there is a thread about this already on TRFs if you're interested.)

The Governor-General's Reception is this evening, local time, I think.
Only that - or Anzac Day tomorrow - to bring out the famed ''Wattle'' Brooch.

Back
Top Bottom