Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the "off schedule waving" and that she bothered to grab the flowers. Nicely done. :flowers:

Thank you Roslyn & Sun Lion for the fascinating information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Thank you for the opportunity to watch LIVE television from Sydney; especially to imagine how warm it must be there! This cold Canadian is envious but wishes all a Happy Easter:flowers:
It's a beaut day here in Sydney gerry - 24 degrees, slight breeze coming from the west, (not off the Harbour), light blue sky and deep sapphire blue water. Manly may be a bit more breezey this afternoon as it's open to the ocean - but then you get all those lovely negative ions in the air from the sea, and feel really alive.
Hope you got a glimpse of some of Sydney's palm trees - a lot of people don't realise we're officially ''sub-tropical'', and as well as lots of bushland, the city is covered with palms too.

Was the Duchess scheduled to speak this afternoon? One of the Australian TV channels is saying she may speak ''officially'' later today.
Rob Jobson is a guest on an afternoon TV show currently - saying no footage from Bear Cottage. Rob relayed that the Duchess said - on seeing a piece of alpaca wool at the Show this morning- that it would help with W's bald patch - but he may need a bit more.

Estimates of ten thousand people at Manly Beach - and all the balconys along the beach-front are filled with people drinking wine, with their cameras ready. The Prime Minister and his wife are expected to meet the Duke and Duchess at the beach - and Barry O'Farrell's replacement Mike Baird.
More footage of the Queen Mother at Manly in 1958 being broadcast.

The Duchess did give a speech at Bear Cottage, and it will soon be released. Photo from the speech now released. Royal party now leaving Bear Cottage. The Prime Minister and his wife, are with the Duke and Duchess.
(Running half an hour over schedule.)
Tremendous live coverage on two Australian TV channels - watching the Duke and Duchess on Manly Beach for over an hour, interacting with the crowds, surf-life savers, Prime Minister and new NSW Premier.

Looks like the Duke and Duchess have just arrived back at Admiralty House - 5.40pm local time - the helicopters are back! (Two police helicopters.) Evening news has footage of the Duchess singing with the Bear Cottage children.

(The tugs yesterday brought an oil tanker in along passed Admiralty House - not a cruise liner, but it's dark here now, and a ship is sounding it's horn off, so W and C will soon be able to see a cruise ship sail past them - truly beautiful all lit up.)

P.S. The Queen's trainer is now on the telly - the Queen's horse ''Carlton House'' is the favourite to win it's race tomorrow.

Baby George is sooooo adorable little boy!! :heart:
I look his nose that mama Kate's. :w00t:

Video:
Thousands welcome Royal couple to Manly- The Duchess of Cambridge's Speech-
Thousands welcome Royal couple to Manly | Sky News Australia

Well delivered Your Royal Highness!

#royal visit. The duchess gives a speech at a hospice in Sydney. pic.twitter.com/bwlGhRQrfh

William looking on lovingly as his wife deliver her speech.

Text of Duchess of Cambridge's speech-
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/04/18/text-duchess-cambridges-speech

Queensland tomorrow-
"Tomorrow the duke and duchess are off to the land named after Queen Victoria, the baby future king's great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother. There they'll be visiting the RAAF base in Amberley - Australia's largest operational air base. The couple will inspect the F/A-18F Super Hornet, plant a tree in the memorial garden and meet RAAF personnel and their families. Later they'll head to Brisbane for a civic reception to be hosted by Premier Campbell Newman and Governor Penelope Wensley.

Expect plenty more enthusiastic crowds, sunshine and flowers. Don't expect to see baby George though!"
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

Last edited:
Duke of Cambridge speaking to surf life savers on Manly beach.. check out the guy at the end - YouTube

The Duchess of Cambridge's private secretary, Rebecca Deacon, kicks off her heels but Kate hangs onto her wedges! pic.twitter.com/PuHBtC3cGE
Showed a tuft of alpaca hair Kate turned to William and said 'you need it more than me' and pointed to his head. Fortunately he laughed.
The Duchess of Cambridge has suggested the perfect solution for her husband's growing bald patch - an alpaca toupee.
Prince William and Aussie PM Tony Abbot on Manly Beach today #royalvisit #sydney pic.twitter.com/zrfCaRZnos
Kate's Baywatch moment: Duchess runs on towering wedges as she joins William on Manly Beach in Sydney to meet famous lifeguards-

Last edited:
The ABC reports that this visit is costing Australians 1.5 to 2 million dollars.:eek:

Considering our up-coming budget cuts, I hope the returns will be worth it!

IMHO, the Aussie spirit is the star of the show, so far. Fun, funny, outgoing, open-minded and welcoming.

Oh - and a tip of the hat to that big, warm yellow thing in the sky. :flowers:

Why thank you AdmirerUS. You are most welcome to come on over!!! We will make sure we put out the red carpet for you too!!:winkiss:

Videos:
Royals impressed by the Easter show and Manly Beach-
Video | ninemsn news

Kate And William: Royals Visit Aussie Beach
Kate And William: Royals Visit Aussie Beach

Duchess thanks Australia for welcoming her and George-
BBC News - Duchess thanks Australia for welcoming her and George

A motorboat, a bike, a giant wombat & now this! "@ArthurJEdwards William & Kate collect another gift for baby George pic.twitter.com/vfbu6ZDFCz"

Last edited:
The ABC reports that this visit is costing Australians 1.5 to 2 million dollars.:eek:

That's nothing at all. That's pocket change to goverments.

I like William's relaxed attitude when meeting with people. He and Harry appear to have inherited their mother's gift for putting people at easy.

This is what I stayed up till 11:45 PM last night for folks.
I don't have words here. so I think I'll borrow some from a man I respected a lot-
The age of miracles is not past us.
I also read in a book once that where there is great love, they're always miracles. If this doesn't prove that, I don't know what does.
My favorite picture has to be William with the little princesses.:D

Last edited:
Kate and William are moved to tears as Royal couple visit Sydney children's hospice | Mail Online
The two people have got to be close to angels, in my opinion. If they're not angels already.

I'm referring to the photos in the daily Mail article from bear cottage.
If that doesn't choke you up, then I don't know what will.
Have no more tears left.
Love seeing photos of Catherine seeing with children, and the photo of William listening to the young lady, I believe that is what we call opening one's heart on a moments notice. Very special indeed.
Young Daniel's joy at meeting The Duchess was infectious, and priceless.

IMHO having a child has heightened their feelings when meeting with terminally ill children and their families. Apparently one child is the same age as George. Sometimes these emotions can be overwhelming even if you've done your best to keep them in check.

IMHO having a child has heightened their feelings when meeting with terminally ill children and their families. Apparently one child is the same age as George. Sometimes these emotions can be overwhelming even if you've done your best to keep them in check.

Oh, I so agree.
One of the things that really stood out to me was how relaxed Catherine was on this engagement in comparison to similar engagements on other tours.
She wasn't as reserved, and seemed much more at ease.

I've certainly got my money's worth out of it AfricanAUSSIE :lol:.

Yesterday afternoon I just sat here watching the Duke and Duchess on Manly Beach. I watched all the action for over an hour - and that was just one channel, I've still got to catch up with the other's broadcast.
Lots of good footage live from the Show in the morning - then footage from inside Bear Cottage on the evening new shows - but to just sit here and watch the Royals on the beach, for so long, can't be topped for me.

I bet the people there couldn't believe how much they got to see of the Duke and Duchess.

Itinerary-Queensland
Saturday 19th April
Queensland

10.30am Australian Air Force base at Amberley

2pm Brisbane Convention Centre Reception

2.50pm Public walkabout

"The Duke and Duchess are off to the land named after Queen Victoria, the baby future king's great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother. There they'll be visiting the RAAF base in Amberley - Australia's largest operational air base. The couple will inspect the F/A-18F Super Hornet, plant a tree in the memorial garden and meet RAAF personnel and their families. Later they'll head to Brisbane for a civic reception to be hosted by Premier Campbell Newman and Governor Penelope Wensley."

Last edited:
Glad that you are enjoying the Cambridges Sun Lion, and sorry about your foot.

Showed a tuft of alpaca hair Kate turned to William and said 'you need it more than me' and pointed to his head.
Turnabout is fair play following William's banana comment the other day, I see. Nicely done, Kate! ;)

Glad that you are enjoying the Cambridges and sorry about your foot.
Thank you TLLK.
It's been really marvellous, the amount of TV coverage here.
It was an interesting contrast between the Duke and Duchess, and the Queen Mother at Manly.
The Queen Mother was very dressed up - formal hat and flowing dress - and was driven along the beach standing up in the back of a Land Rover - so everyone could see her, no walkabouts then.
The Carnival she attended was a full-blown adult affair - she was there in summer - and a real slice of Australiana.
Now it's Autumn, the carnivals are over, hence the "Nippers" display for the Duke and Duchess and not a real surf life-saving carnival.
It was really great to see yesterday - and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.
(The footage might not have shown the bright sunshine totally - at that time of day, the pine trees along the promenade shadow the beach.)

Picture: Kate & William departing for Brisbane #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/SjGZl5nDGv
This was Kate meeting Max, who was perfectly healthy until struck with bacterial meningitis 6 weeks ago. pic.twitter.com/LxC0sRIo2O
Max's mum and dad Amy and Rob were AMAZING! Such strength in face of their baby boy dying. pic.twitter.com/45fD2ClxbY

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to meet military families-
"Queensland families still grieving the loss of loved ones in Afghanistan and Iraq will spend time with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today. For some of those families, it will be the first time they've returned to the Royal Australian Air Force base at Amberley, west of Brisbane, since the bodies of their lost relatives were flown home for burial. Wing Commander Paul Rickert says the meeting will be an important moment for the families. The royal couple has plenty in common with military families, with Prince William having spent seven and a half years in the military before retiring from the RAF to take up official duties."

Last edited:
Five and a half hours of live TV coverage has kicked off in Australia - we're certainly getting to see the Duke and Duchess.
The Super Hornets will do a fly-over as W and C disembark their air-craft - and again, when the tree-planting takes place.
''God Save The Queen'' and ''Advance Australia Fair'' will be played.
(We're tracking their plane as it flies to it's destination!)

The four Super Hornets have just taken off.
Both the Duke and Duchess will do the flight simulator.
Footage will be released after it has been cleared - as the area is restricted.

They've landed.
The Duchess is wearing the L.K. Bennett ''Poppy'' dress - $600 Australian dollars - with a small blue clutch and dark heels.

Last edited:
...The age of miracles is not past us...The two people have got to be close to angels, in my opinion. If they're not angels already...Very special indeed...
You pretty much expressed my thoughts.

Pocket change. The money will be returned 100 times over in the Blue Mountain area because tourists will be start returning there now that they know the area is up and running.

SunLion, I'm jealous of all the TV coverage you're getting in Australian of the trip. All we get here in the States is about 30 seconds each night on the evening news. Thank goodness for the internet. The Daily Mail has great photos but I usually don't bother to read the narrative. Also, there are sites dedicated to what Kate is wearing, even her shoes and jewelry. Such fun.

Back
Top Bottom