Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did he say that within earshot of reporters or did someone leak it? Hopefully, they were goofing off which would be a really good thing, as he seems so glum most of the time. Anyway, that's something a smart-@ss husband would say.

Most likely joking around. They seem to keep each other laughing a lot. There's a picture of them in the car yesterday laughing they're butts off.

The remark about her outfit sounds like a playful comment. Spouses tease each other all the time.
A big thank you to everyone who has provided updates on the trip. The photos and videos have been really appreciated.
Totally agree. Thanks to all.

Hope you're feeling better, Sun Lion.

.The only thing that bothers me : Why is STILL wearing those horrible wedges?
Yeah I have to agree. I'm usually not bothered by her heels (didn't really have problem with them at Sportsaid), but this occasion definitely called for flats. It was a bit disconcerting seeing her near the edge of a cliff in wedges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heels or flats, just as long as I can see those good looking "Middleton" legs, I really don't care.

Most likely joking around. They seem to keep each other laughing a lot. There's a picture of them in the car yesterday laughing they're butts off.

Agreed. This is a couple that teases each other in a fun way.

It was a bit disconcerting, seeing her near the edge of a cliff in wedges.

I so agree; if she had taken a stumble so close to the cliff's edge as she did in the vineyards wearing those wedges, that might not have turned out so well. She should have changed into flats on that site.

For me, the best way is just saying 'an individual with...', so that it's always person first...
You're right- that is the best way. And I've never really thought about it before. I hope you don't think bad of me for asking that question, but I'm trying to learn, so I don't offend anyone. For me, the word to avoid has always been retarded. Never really thought about how other words can hurt. Especially, when as you said, there is no suffering.

I don't think badly of you at all. I don't mind answering any questions that you may have.

16-year-old, Sophie Aylward, is presenting Kate Middelton with this dress designed just for her! @woolmark #Today9 pic.twitter.com/SeNYrvGpLn
16yo designer Sophie Aylward is showing off her dress design to the Duchess of Cambridge today! @Woolmark #Today9 pic.twitter.com/KbBgW0XInB
#RoyalVisitAustralia Day in #Sydney for #William & #Kate: Easter Show, Hospice & then the beach! #budgiesmugglers pic.twitter.com/zf2UoA8fTB

I was pondering this too. Looking at many of the engagements for the rest of the tour, I don't any obvious opportunities for bling. Are any events likely to require an evening gown?

I am not sure, but I find it a little disappointing. Everything else has been great! Duke & Duchess seem relaxed and confident in their work. Joking and laughing they just really seem to embrace one another.

Last edited:
Did he say that within earshot of reporters or did someone leak it? Hopefully, they were goofing off which would be a really good thing, as he seems so glum most of the time. Anyway, that's something a smart-@ss husband would say.

He apparently said it in private. Kate was the one who told somebody (in the crowd, I believe) that William had made the remark. If it weren't a joke, I don't think she'd have repeated it.

I was pondering this too. Looking at many of the engagements for the rest of the tour, I don't any obvious opportunities for bling. Are any events likely to require an evening gown?

There are no "black tie" events scheduled at all. So no long gowns - this has been known since the tour was announced.

Catherine wore the diamond fern brooch when she landed in NZ which was a formal event. From the airport they went to the GG House and met formally with Maori chiefs and William inspected military guard etc.

The arrival in Australia was not like that - arrive, drop off PG and off to Opera House - so no wattle brooch (I'm was disappointed but understood). There is a formal reception coming up towards the end of the tour and I'm hoping she wears the brooch then

All the stuff about wearing the Queen's jewels came from 1 British paper (Daily Mail) and 1 "journalist" - Katie Nicholl. Buy a lot of salt if you read either of these. Pictures are good; writing not to be relied on. Your hopes are down to them, not the Cambridges.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 9m
Another beautiful day here in Sydney. There are thousands of people down here aheadf of the royal visit. #RoyalVisitAus

This morning The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will see Aussie sheep shearing at Sydney's Royal Easter Show. pic.twitter.com/70xZLTHiel
A cheesy snap from the Royal Easter Show. #RoyalTourAus #waitinggame pic.twitter.com/YQJBY8rPoG
Even the UK press pack gets the Aussie sniffer dog treatment #royaltourNZ #RoyalVisitAus pic.twitter.com/agw1rpAbh7
Shame Prince George is not with Mum & Dad today think he would like this cutie at Royal Easter Show. #royalvisitaus pic.twitter.com/Rcq6YPstJC
British Royals ‏@britishroyals 2m
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge are expected at the #RoyalEasterShow at 10:45am. Looks like a fun morning! #RoyalVisitAus

We're having an Elvis Presley singsong in the fixed point as the crowd await the royal couple at the showground. pic.twitter.com/XrJYjmLc8d
After the Royal Easter Show, Will & Kate will visit Bear Cottage - only 1 of 2 children's hospices in Oz & the ony one in NSW #RoyalVisitAus

Last edited:
10.15am Good Friday morning, and helicopters are hovering over Admiralty House.

Bet the neighbours are loving that :lol:.

The Duke and Duchess will be presented with a small ''Royal Doulton'' figurine of a rabbit with a surfboard, for PG, this afternoon - as well as the ''Greetings From Manly'' surf-board.

Footage being shown on TV of The Queen Mother attending a surf life-saving carnival at Manly many years ago.

Beautiful blue sunshine day here in Sydney - photographers must be happy.

Last edited:
^^^ The Harbour certainly is a beautiful place on a sunny autumn day. No doubt everyone's happy.

Hey Roslyn - good to hear from you.

TV crossing between the Royal motorcade and the Showground.

(The Sydney Royal Easter Show is the largest event in the Southern Hemisphere apparently.)

The TV helicopter pilot - who followed the motorcade - said people pulled their cars to the side of the road, and got out to have a look at the Duke and Duchess, all the way to the Showground.

Looks like the Royal party will be viewing the ''Districts Exhibitions'' - from where the crowds are waiting - couldn't really miss that.

Arrived - the Duchess in white dress with sleeves down to elbows, by Australian designer ''Zimmermann''.

The dress is not bespoke, just from the designer's normal range, and will be available in the shops in June.

Great to see sunshine and palm trees.

The Duke sampled some chocolate, but it was pistachio nougat for the Duchess.

Last edited:
Those pumpkins are impressive, and the sheep are adorable!
Is Australia famous for sheep shearing and cheese?

Hey Roslyn - good to hear from you.

:wave: Hi Sun Lion. I hope you're on the mend and enjoying the tour.

Sheep have been a big deal in Australia for a long time. Australia "rode on the sheep's back" until the middle of the 20th Century. My mother was from a grazing family and in the 1920s, before the days of refrigeration, they ate lamb almost every day of the year, and she continued to love it for the rest of her 98 years. I was dragged to see all the wool exhibits at the Easter Show and also to wool sales when I was a kid.

"For a century, the wool industry gave Australia one of the highest living standards in the world. The economy rode high on wealth from primary exports. By the 1950s, wool was synonymous with the Australian way of life." Things started to change after that with emphasis on mining and other stuff. A little doco with some background and addressing the changes for anyone who's interested: http://dl.nfsa.gov.au/module/1592/

We make some very fine cheeses, too.

Last edited:
:wave: Hi Sun Lion. I hope you're on the mend and enjoying the tour.
Doing my best Roslyn - won't be up to seeing anything in ''real life'', but enjoying all the TV coverage.
And thanks too soapstar.
Wondering if there will be some fireworks to watch on W and C's last night at Admiralty House - Mr Howard them regularly when he lived at Kirribilli House - so fingers crossed.

It used to be said that Australia ''rode on the sheep's back'' roseroyal - meaning our early wealth, and growth as a country, came from our wool production. (Just saw your post Roslyn - great minds think alike!)
This changed when synthetic fibres were invented, but it is still important for Australia.
That's why it's good that Prince Charles promotes the wool industry.
And I think we send a lot of cheese to Japan.
As the standard of living rises in Asia, Australia is looking to be the ''food bowl'' to this region.
Demand for meat, seafood etc is growing, as Asia - including India - developes a middle-class.
Our milk is very big as infant formula in China now.

That Merino ram the Duchess seemed quite taken with, and kept patting on the head, is named ''Fred'' - how sensible and down to earth, as I bet he is a champion. Really promoting wool - the ''Woolmark'' logo couldn't be missed - and lovely dress that won the design competition.

Dash ‏@DashRoyal 4m
William & Kate are currently touring the Arts & Crafts & Photography pavilion #RoyalVisitAus

Before this tour I remember reading a lot about all the jewels that DOC was going to be wearing. So far I have only seen one pin on the frist day. Everything else is the same as she always wears. Does anyone have a idea of when and if we really may see some bling?

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...0QFjAC&usg=AFQjCNHIhOiQGoYjehaC9Lfk0jE9yOFzlA

Hi Lady Ann - the UK's Katie Nicholl is currently on Oz TV, helping commentate on the visit to the Show.

She is expecting to see the ''Wattle'' brooch at the Easter Sunday service at St Andrews Cathederal - a formal occassion.

Thank you for the opportunity to watch LIVE television from Sydney; especially to imagine how warm it must be there! This cold Canadian is envious but wishes all a Happy Easter:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom