Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is going to be an interesting trip for me. My family name is Cosgrove, and I have a cousin Peter Cosgrove!

A big thank you to everyone who has provided updates on the trip. The photos and videos have been really appreciated.

Really enjoyed the photos of the Cambridges holding the puppies in NZ and honoring fallen officers. A few hours later they're in sunny Sydney touring the Opera House and Harbor. George continues to be a champ during the tour. :)

Videos:
William And Kate Touch Down For Oz Trip-
William And Kate Touch Down For Oz Trip

To the mountains tomorrow:
"The young royals are scheduled to visit the Blue Mountain's on Sydney's western fringe on day two of their 10-day Australian tour. The royal couple is due to spend the day in the towns of Winmalee and Katoomba meeting local residents and volunteers, before getting a look at famous The Three Sisters rock formations. The visit comes after more than 200 homes were lost in fires that tore through around 50,000 hectares of bushland in the area last October, forcing schools to close and hundreds of locals to flee. The royals are expected to meet bushfire-affected families and the area's Mountain Youth Services group."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11232364

11.10am Blue Mountains and possible meeting with the Girl Guides-
http://royalkatedebate.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:
Nice picture of Kate and George.
Wow! That wombat is really cool! I don't know who likes it more - George or Daddy.:D:lol:
Any still photos of Kate with the girl with Down syndrome?
@ Daria- Weeping yet?;)

Last edited by a moderator:
re the video: I´m really shocked at what people dare asking them these days!
Unthinkable to have asked the Queen when she did her walkabouts back in the late 50s or early 60s when she´d produce another baby! I guess even in the Diana-years nobody would ask her or Charles on open street when a new baby would be on his/ her way... It was rather a speculation-thing within the media. Do these people really expect to get a serious answer?! I really do admire William for grinning and bearing it... (I guess I´d be a very bad Royal...!)
Well, good behaviour seem to deteriorate more and more:ermm:
Just imagine a completely strange person you meet for 3 seconds and you´ll never see again in your life would ask when you´d be pregnant again...!

That wombat would make a great pillow (for George, and possible Daddy). It looks very cuddly. As to your question, I have no words! If there are any pictures, I'd love to see them.

I figured as much! Me too!;):D
William and Diana had a big hippo pillow they used to watch TV on.
Maybe Daddy and George will watch TV on the wombat.
Until Mommy tells them to take a break.
I can also see see Mommy having to tell Daddy that the pillow belongs to George.
Diana had a nickname for William- wombat.

Last edited:
...I guess even in the Diana-years nobody would ask her or Charles on open street when a new baby would be on his/ her way...
Actually, I think Charles was asked if he and Diana were going to have another baby on the day William was born. So, people do ask the questions but I think it should be pretty obvious that they will most likely give George a baby brother or sister.

William's answer is just the truth. Everyone just have to give it some time.

Can anyone provide a link of the departure from NZ? it's a pity that I can't find a proper video in youtube:ermm:

:previous:
You can see a piece of they're departure here-
Royal tour: Furry recruits steal the show - Story - NZ News - 3 News

Videos:
Royal praise for Australia as tour begins in Sydney-
BBC News - Royal praise for Australia as tour begins in Sydney

William And Kate Touch Down For Oz Trip-
William And Kate Touch Down For Oz Trip

Pictures:
The Duke and Dıchess of Cambridge and Prince George arrives in Australia for ten day tour-
MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASHİON: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Tour Australia and New Zealand - Day 10

Pictures:
The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Tour Australia And New Zealand - Day 10
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=483085319&EditorialProduct=Royalty

I´m really shocked at what people dare asking them these days!...
After seeing a reporter for an American gossip site saying that she was going to ask the Duke if he wears boxers or briefs when the couple was in LA, I don't find this half as offensive. However, I do see your point; things have loosened up, and people just blurt out personal questions with no thought whatsoever. Nothing is sacred anymore, and it's kind of sad.

I'd love to see a picture of Wills (or Kate) and George sharing the wombat as a pillow to watch television, or better yet, to read a story together. I remember reading about William being called 'Wombat' by his parents, but I was never sure who came up with it; some sources say Diana, others say it was Charles. In any case, it's a cute pet name for a baby.

Also rumours that the Duke and Duchess won't just watch some abseiling in the Blue Mts tomorrow, but may take part.

What is "abseiling." I've never heard of it.

Thanks to sea lion for all the info from OZ.

:previous:
Either rapelling down cliffsides or being lowered from a helicopter.

Lovely photos of the Cambridges arriving in Australia. Little George is adorable.

From their first public appearance together, when she walked out of the hospital cradling her newborn son, we've barely seen the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George separated.
But today, for the first time, baby George was pictured not in the arms of doting mother Kate but in those of his new nanny, 43-year-old Maria Teresa Turrion Borrallo - and he looked less than impressed.
The 8-month-old prince pulled an adorably grumpy face as Maria Teresa carried him to the car upon the family's arrival in Sydney today.

Prince George looks less than impressed in arms of his nanny | Mail Online

She's famous for her conservative sense of style but that didn't stop the Duchess of Cambridge from plumping for an unusually bright hue for her first day on Australian soil.
Paying tribute to her Australian hosts, the Duchess' sunny £900 dress mirrored the gold of the Australian flag and was created by the London-based Serbian designer, Roksanda Ilincic.
But while the dress drew appreciative gasps from the waiting crowd, it seems not everyone was a fan of the bold ensemble. 'William said I look like a banana,' Kate confided to one well-wisher, Heather Easton, as the couple arrived at Sydney's iconic Royal Opera House.

Kate Middleton shines in Roksanda Ilincic dress but not everyone is a fan | Mail Online

Thank You AfricanAUSSIE...

OK Sun Lion, here is the update...
...And thank you to your friends for their feed-back from the Opera House Reception. Hearing from someone who was actually there makes it more personalised and real. I think they were really fortunate to get their five minutes with the Duchess - and yes, I've heard before about feeling under-sized next to the high-heels.

There was a lot of footage broadcast on Channel 9 throughout the whole of yesterday's action.
From half an hour before the plane arrived, until the official party went inside Admiralty House for a private function - (which must have been afternoon tea with the wombat!:lol:)
I saw one frightening scene where the camera-man must have been on the Opera House steps, just above the Duke talking with the crowds.
There were hundreds of arms up-reached with mobiles taking photos/videos.
It was an amazing sight - and scarey. Everyone anxious to get their chance.
Last night's evening news already had people's mobile footage, so we saw their interaction with the Royals.
People in the back of the crowd were passing gifts down to people in the front, to hand over for them.
I can well imagine W and C being moved along by their ''handlers'' at these things.
Footage caught the Duchess taking a glass of water from a lady, who I think is her secretary, having a quick sip and handing it back, while moving through the people at the Reception.

I hope your friends' fund-raising will benefit from their brush with Royalty.

And yes, Oprah and Ellen drew enormous crowds with their visits - but I doubt they will ever return, whereas W and C are just starting what will be a lifetime bond with Australia.

Best Wishes, and Thank You again,
Sun Lion.

Actually, I think Charles was asked if he and Diana were going to have another baby on the day William was born. So, people do ask the questions but I think it should be pretty obvious that they will most likely give George a baby brother or sister.

William's answer is just the truth. Everyone just have to give it some time.

Charles was asked by passers-by if they had another baby?
Williams answer was of someone not really wanting to answer the question while still determined to stay polite because he´d been raised properly...
"Well, you never know" is actually not an answer at all...
This question as such is naturally nothing bad at all if being asked by the couple´s family in private behind closed doors.
What shook me was the fact that this woman, obviously with no care in the world, seemed to judge it normal to ask a man she doesn´t know personally, when he´ll be a father again. From my point of view it´s an outrageous thing to do to act as if people of "public interest" are kind of their property!

Cambridges Woke To A Fine Day In Sydney....

Also rumours that the Duke and Duchess won't just watch some abseiling in the Blue Mts tomorrow, but may take part.
...but even though the Blue Mts are only a ninety minute drive away, they are mountains, and the weather may be a lot cooler than here. Yes, mslewis, as Muhler said, abseiling is climbing down by rope, and the Duke and Duchess have already done it on their previous Tour of Asia/South Seas. (There it was trees, today it will be rock-faces.)

People are hopeful W and C will do it today, rather than just watch, as apparently some ''R.M. Wiiliams'' clothes have been requested.
These are famous outdoors clothes here in Oz - mostly used with working with horses in the outback, rough farming conditions etc, as they are very rugged. They are also a fashion item - both husband and I have our R.M.Williams gear - from years ago, they take years to wear out. (And don't wear new R.M. Williams in the country - people will know you probably don't know anything about farming or working horses/dogs and it won't go down well :lol:.)

One of the TV channels have set up their broadcast from the Blue Mts, so we should have lots of lovely coverage again today.
The abseiling is this afternoon, after lunch in the Girl Guide Hall.

Best Wishes, Sun Lion.

P.S. One of the vessels on the Harbour yesterday had a Prince Harry look-alike in his beret and military uniform, surrounded by fifty bikini-clad young women dancing and jumping about!

PP.S. Noisy morning here as it is a working day, so W, C and little PG, would have woke to the constant rumble that comes from the cars and trains going across the Harbour Bridge, plus there are some helicopters about, and some sirens in the streets. Tomorrow will be very different, being a Public Holiday. And the Duke and Duchess may get to see a cruise ship sail past them in a few minutes - there are some tugs sitting and waiting on the water to guide something in through the inner Harbour here.

I'd love to see a picture of Wills (or Kate) and George sharing the wombat as a pillow to watch television, or better yet, to read a story together. I remember reading about William being called 'Wombat' by his parents, but I was never sure who came up with it; some sources say Diana, others say it was Charles. In any case, it's a cute pet name for a baby.

It definitely was Charles that updated the nickname to "Combat Wombat" when Wills went into the armed services though. ;)

Charles was asked by passers-by if they had another baby?
Williams answer was of someone not really wanting to answer the question while still determined to stay polite because he´d been raised properly...
"Well, you never know" is actually not an answer at all...
This question as such is naturally nothing bad at all if being asked by the couple´s family in private behind closed doors.
What shook me was the fact that this woman, obviously with no care in the world, seemed to judge it normal to ask a man she doesn´t know personally, when he´ll be a father again. From my point of view it´s an outrageous thing to do to act as if people of "public interest" are kind of their property!

The highlighted bit is psycologically interesting.

If we are to psycoanalyze this, I'll defend the woman by saying that to her, in the moment, W&K are family.
It's natural. For many people who follow someone closely, especially if they like them, they become a kind of family and/or friends.
So the natural barriers tend to go down and they will treat, in this case W&K, like they would treat their own friends and in that context such a question is natural inquisity among friends.
I'll bet the very same women wouldn't dream of asking say a politician, let alone a stranger, the same question.

ADDED: Hmm, that's odd. I also seem to quote Wartenberg7... While Wartenbeg have many interesting things to say, it's actually Dman I wish to quote.

It definitely was Charles that updated the nickname to "Combat Wombat" when Wills went into the armed services though. ;)

I do remember that. I think I definitely got that confused with the origins of the nickname.

Lovely photos of the Cambridges arriving in Australia. Little George is adorable.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...right-yellow-gold-Roksanda-Ilincic-dress.html
Love William's comment!:lol: And love the pictures! Edit- just saw the photos of the Duke and Duchess with Jocelyn. Marvelous! The Duchess really seems to be more at ease. Another thing I loved is that when people shared their thoughts about Diana, William was receptive.
I forgot about Catherine's outfit in Calgary- Love it. She also wore a pretty yellow dress in the Solomon Islands.

I'm not going to vote on that site, but if I did, I go either lemon sherbet, or banana.
I love the British sense of humor!:lol:

I'm a terrible person and I did vote and I chose duchess and I was in the amjority at over 50% (54% I think).
Seriously, a woman is very confident if she can tell the world that her husband thinks she looked like a banana. That meant a whole bundle to me.

I'm sorry, but the comment about the young lady that met the Cambridges on the tarmac 'suffering' from Down Syndrome really irked me. With comments like these coming from the media, it's no wonder that people are still having difficulty accepting those that are different. William's comment about his wife looking like a banana cracks me up. I love his honesty, and her determination to be herself, regardless of what others think. Says a lot about their relationship (and not in a bad way either).

...Where are the still photos of Catherine with the young lady with down syndrome?
The pictures are throughout both articles. But unfortunately, we don't see the young woman's face. She's the one in the lacy dress and hat, and only seen from the back, or the side.

It's not fair!! I love Yellow. It brightens my mood whenever I see someone wearing it and both Kate and The Queen look amazing in it regardless of the shade, tone or intensity they wear it, but as for me!?! It looks hideous on me and...*pouts*

The only thing about the both of them that I downright hate and envy about them and...Sigh!!

I wish the skirt didn't have that block of white at the bottom, as I think it distracts the eye, but other than that, it was a perfect choice for the Opera House visit. No way could that crowd not see her easily from a distance. Perfect!!

Wow...If we thought George was excited to get the Kiwi visit underway, that was nothing compared to his excitement on arriving on Aussie soil. :D That was priceless!!

Looking forward to tomorrow!!

Back
Top Bottom