Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Tour of Australia - April 16-25, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:This is very good news and this information should be published in the Daily Mail in London for all to see because so many tourist go there because of the history and hoping to see the queen riding by........I was one of them at one time......and I saw the changing of the guard and that was thrilling for me being a history buff. Glad some good came out of this trip for the people of the area!

:previous:This is very good news and this information should be published in the Daily Mail in London for all to see because so many tourist go there because of the history and hoping to see the queen riding by........I was one of them at one time......and I saw the changing of the guard and that was thrilling for me being a history buff. Glad some good came out of this trip for the people of the area!

Hi SElizabeth- yes, very good to see this after the past weeks about "workshy William" and "Two, (now three), Kitchen Kate".

And similar "good news" may be going on with others things the Duke and Duchess visited in New Zealand and Australia -that we just haven't heard about yet.

Well those Royal Forums posters who thought the visit by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would boost tourism - take a bow, you were right.

A report today says local airline "Jetstar" is now flying direct between Melbourne and Uluru four days a week.

Previously people had to take a chartered flight, or travel via Sydney.

(And chartered weekend flights are full for twelve weeks.)

"Jetstar" is a budget airline, and the direct Melbourne flights make for a cheap and easy getaway.

The flights from Sydney to Uluru have also been increased, and now fly daily.

The article quotes the "Jetstar" CEO David Hall as crediting the Royal visit with putting Uluru back in the "limelight".

Thanks you, thank you for the continued reports. You know, the Huffington post started out like this ;)? But, really - thanks, SunLion.

Thanks you, thank you for the continued reports. You know, the Huffington post started out like this ;)? But, really - thanks, SunLion.

G'day from Oz, AdmirerUS.

You know we get so much Royal news here in Australia these days - any and everything is on the morning TV shows - the early morning and mid-morning programs -then again in the mid-morning and afternoon news and if "big" enough a story, on the evening news and the evening "discussion" panel shows.

Today I could have seen the Duchess's sister's interview for example, and we have direct reports several days a week from Rob Jobson, Gavin Grey and goodness knows who else if you never stepped away from the telly.

The days of only the women's magazines taking an interest are over - even the newspapers publish photos and stories on a regular basis.

And there is no criticism directed at the Royals.

If the UK reporters tell us of an "uproar" going on in Britain about trips to the Maldives leaving PG at home, renovations, expenditure and costs etc. - the Aussie reporters just say things like "good on them" or "I'd do it too", "let them do it while their young" etc.

No tut-tutting from Downunder, as there seems to be Upover.

G'day from Oz, AdmirerUS.

You know we get so much Royal news here in Australia these days - any and everything is on the morning TV shows - the early morning and mid-morning programs -then again in the mid-morning and afternoon news and if "big" enough a story, on the evening news and the evening "discussion" panel shows.

Today I could have seen the Duchess's sister's interview for example, and we have direct reports several days a week from Rob Jobson, Gavin Grey and goodness knows who else if you never stepped away from the telly.

The days of only the women's magazines taking an interest are over - even the newspapers publish photos and stories on a regular basis.

And there is no criticism directed at the Royals.

If the UK reporters tell us of an "uproar" going on in Britain about trips to the Maldives leaving PG at home, renovations, expenditure and costs etc. - the Aussie reporters just say things like "good on them" or "I'd do it too", "let them do it while their young" etc.

No tut-tutting from Downunder, as there seems to be Upover.
Just know how much we appreciate your POV. You make the effort and it is priceless. It's also your own POV and a lot of us respect you for that. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Just know how much we appreciate your POV. You make the effort and it is priceless. It's also your own POV and a lot of us respect you for that. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Gosh, very generous of you AdmirerUS.

I, like a lot of posters, really enjoyed "reporting" on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge when they were in our backyard a few months ago.

I missed posting on a lot of things that came out here in the weeks after they left our shores as I had to go "cold-turkey" :lol: on posting - I was about to overdose, and needed to get on with life in the actual world etc.

Now all the action is back on the UK posters turf - and it's not quite the same as when they are going to places and doing things you know and have done.

That was really special - and half my recording machines are still full of the news reports/live broadcasts of those days :lol:.

Would you like a BIG wombat, just like the one young Prince George was given when he was down here in Sydney a few months ago?

There is one in the window of a shop called "Kangaroos & Koalas" at Darling Harbour - for sale at $250 Aussie dollars.

Too big?

Too expensive?

Though there is only one BIG one, there are are plenty of others ranging down through about five sizes to the littlest version, going for only $25 dollars.

(And, nice suprise - "Australian Made". Not too many labels saying that these days.)

Fred, the merino ram who "met" the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Sydney's Royal Easter Show back in April, is in the news again!

Famous Fred and his wooly companion Truffle are travelling to Bendigo in Victoria for a big wool and sheep breeders show - and will make an appearance at a shopping mall to promote the big do.

Fred's owner explained "Princess Kate" was charmed by his ability to bow on command, and that it took a fortnight to train him to do so.

Now known as the "Royal Ram", Fred is the world's most photographed sheep.

There is a nice video of his owner giving some details about Fred's brush with Royalty.

I can't provide a link from my tablet, but hopefully you will be able to find it via "A royal sheep treat: video, pictures" by Adam Holmes.

Remember the photos of the still very dressed-up Duke and Duchess of Cambridge giving Prince George his first Easter egg hunt on the lawns of Admiralty House here in Sydney on Easter Sunday - after the church service in the city, and before changing outfits for the visit to the zoo in the afternoon?

I know some posters here were not happy with the "invasion" of privacy of these - and it was before the day off in Canberra photos, and the Blue Mts wind vs dress photos, maybe even before the Saturday night footy photos, and so no-one knew what was yet to come out.

I just flipped through a "New Idea" magazine from May at the hairdresser, and another set of photos from this Easter Sunday on the lawn were sold exclusively to this magazine and published by them - photos from a different angle with the Duke photographing PG on his crawl.

Shock! Shock! though - this "private" occasion wasn't just witnessed by Nanny and bodyguards - one of this other set of photos shows twelve people standing along the Admiralty House verandah watching William, Kate and George!

And all very well-dressed too. Maybe there was a lunch together - or was this when the Duke did the investiture?

In any case, not really a private moment for just the little family to enjoy.

Kate and Will kept costs down on visit to Australia

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
PRINCE William and his young family were not only welcome visitors to Australia this year, they were budget travellers, too. The cost of their 10-day tour was dwarfed by that of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in 2011.

The taxpayer coughed up $474,137 to host the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with their baby, Prince George, figures released to The Australian show.

Of that, the biggest expense was for the RAAF to fly them from New Zealand to Sydney and to shuttle William and Catherine to engagements in Brisbane, Uluru, Adelaide and Canberra.

More was spent on media wrangling than on feeding and accommodating the family.

Last edited:
Remember the photos of the still very dressed-up Duke and Duchess of Cambridge giving Prince George his first Easter egg hunt on the lawns of Admiralty House here in Sydney on Easter Sunday - after the church service in the city, and before changing outfits for the visit to the zoo in the afternoon?

I know some posters here were not happy with the "invasion" of privacy of these - and it was before the day off in Canberra photos, and the Blue Mts wind vs dress photos, maybe even before the Saturday night footy photos, and so no-one knew what was yet to come out.

I just flipped through a "New Idea" magazine from May at the hairdresser, and another set of photos from this Easter Sunday on the lawn were sold exclusively to this magazine and published by them - photos from a different angle with the Duke photographing PG on his crawl.

Shock! Shock! though - this "private" occasion wasn't just witnessed by Nanny and bodyguards - one of this other set of photos shows twelve people standing along the Admiralty House verandah watching William, Kate and George!

And all very well-dressed too. Maybe there was a lunch together - or was this when the Duke did the investiture?

In any case, not really a private moment for just the little family to enjoy.

And honestly - those are my favorite photos of the family. I found them so very heartwarming and honest. So I am glad to know that it actually was a photo op, just not at the angle from which I originally saw it.

It doesn't mean it was a photo op. William and Kate plus several members of their staff plus the Aussie GG and his wife were at the Easter Sunday church service. They get back to the govt house in Sydney and Nanny Maria could just had George on the lawn because the weather was nice so they join him outside. The paps take a photo with a long lens. Its in the magazine.

There are always RPOs lurking around when the royals are outside. They are never going to be alone while outside.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Wow, George must have a big library by now :p I also wonder if/when we will see the jewelry Catherine got. I saw at least 2 opal brooches on the list!

EDIT: Oopsie, wrong thread! Can someone move this to the Australia/New Zealand thread... (Without the quote if possible)

Last edited by a moderator:
This article is old of course, but some of the photos are lovely. I don't know whether this has already been posted. Apologies if it has. Just found it this afternoon.

Kate and Wills appear to enjoy Sydney zoo just as much as George as the duchess discovers that Koalas really do smell of eucalyptus | Daily Mail Online

Thank you for this Curryong - the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" can't be beat for good photos and lots of them.

I remember the yellow dress the Duchess is wearing as being hinted as something she designed herself, that the Royal seamstresses then ran up.

I live just across from where the Royal party were staying at Admiralty House and saw the TV helicopter hovering through my window as they broadcast the Duke and Duchess getting ready to go to Taronga Zoo.

There was much discussion as to whether little Prince George would attend this event or not and that we would have to wait and see if he actually turned up.

I don't know what the security guy's brief was, but just as Catherine was popping George into his car seat, this large young man stood in front of the open car door looking up at the helicopter - this was what we saw on the telly - blocking the view of the little Prince being stapped in.

Seems so silly - then and now - considering what we saw of PG just a short time later at the bilby enclosure.

Last edited:
This article is old of course, but some of the photos are lovely. I don't know whether this has already been posted. Apologies if it has. Just found it this afternoon.

Kate and Wills appear to enjoy Sydney zoo just as much as George as the duchess discovers that Koalas really do smell of eucalyptus | Daily Mail Online
Thank you for rediscovering it Curryong.:) Too bad the video stops right before my favorite moment. George flings away the stuffed bilby because he knows the real ones are just within reach.:lol:

As the Spring Racing Season is about to begin here in Australia, today's issue of "Style" is covering race-wear.

Milliner Jonathan Howard has been interviewed, and lets readers in on how the Duchess of Cambridge came to wear a design of his when she attended the Anzac Day ceremonies at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

(You may remember it - small, dark blue, with two "wings" flying upwards off the back.)

He says that he had a young intern working with him at the time - and that intern's mother and father were working at Kensington Palace.

A nice photo of Catherine wearing the hat is amongst others accompanying the article.

Back
Top Bottom