Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Platinum Jubilee Tour of The Caribbean 19-26 Mar 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course not. When my native Ireland was separating from the UK, it was felt that a republic could not be part of the commonwealth but that was a long time ago.. and now, in spite of years of bitter ill feeling, rellations between the UK and Republic are much better and we've had several royal visits. Im sure hte queen accepts it if Jamaica wants to go, but she might wish that it does not happen until after her time.

I wonder, however, why Jamaican politicians, like in Barbados, want to abolish the monarchy without holding a popular referendum first on the issue. Are they afraid the people might actually prefer to keep the Queen?

While on their eight-day official tour, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have received mixed reactions from their Caribbean hosts.
Although they were well received, in some places there were protests.

I wonder, however, why Jamaican politicians, like in Barbados, want to abolish the monarchy without holding a popular referendum first on the issue. Are they afraid the people might actually prefer to keep the Queen?

The Guardian article suggests that support to ditch is now around 70%
and the visit has backfired as it has increased support. They might prefer the Queen but maybe not her successors. Although she appears not have escaped criticism as having never said much re slavery etc. I think that this is maybe a misunderstanding of how the Queen operates, she isn’t into the big gestures like other members of the family. Its worked for 70 years for her.

This entire trip was very ill-advised. It has become an embarrassment. William and Catherine are being horribly disrespected and, in some cases snubbed. Plus, it makes the monarchy look weak and sad. Not a good look.

The Guardian article suggests that support to ditch is now around 70%
and the visit has backfired as it has increased support. They might prefer the Queen but maybe not her successors. Although she appears not have escaped criticism as having never said much re slavery etc. I think that this is maybe a misunderstanding of how the Queen operates, she isn’t into the big gestures like other members of the family. Its worked for 70 years for her.

Again, if support for a republic is indeed 70 %, why doesn’t the Prime Minister hold a referendum first before introducing any constitutional amendment in the Jamaican parliament ?

I mean I get why it's not a great look and if they could have then they should have gone around to greet those people. But they were willingly there to watch PW play football with local/international star Raheem Sterling among others (who did the same thing as the Cambs). No one is being held against their will or forced to shake hands through the fence. You can see people hanging around outside the security measures of training grounds of big teams like that all the time.

It should also be noted that one of the big voices in all this social media outrage is Omid Scobie....

That said, I do wonder why the government of Jamaica wanted a visit unless it was just to tell them to their faces that they intended to ditch HM as Head of State ASAP, which they already knew since it is not a secret.

The actual protesters weren't large in number and a lot of people did seem happy to see them at the actual events.

It’s just simple PR. There are protests for better or for worst. Stories about the colonial ties. These stories are running and happening right now. How could the PR professionals who work for the British royal family (so ideally should be the best, no?) not think that such interaction would create photos that would make people extremely uncomfortable and perpetrate a narrative that’s already being discussed? For a tour that’s supposed to be a “charm offensive”? For an institution that’s all about images and “to be believed is to be seen”? As an American it’s rather baffling.

Why was this charming couple, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, sent to a country, Jamaica, that plans to become a republic? What's going on?

This thread is for the tour. If you wish to discuss the specifics of Jamaica leaving the Commonwealth, please do so here.

Last edited:
Of course not. I just think this leg of the tour shouldn't have been scheduled in the first place. Jamaica has long since made its feelings on the monarchy and independence clear.

Indeed. The British Foreign Office and/or the Commonwealth officials had to have known of Jamaica's political leanings.

I can't help but think that the UK might have been more successful with this visit if the visit was done by somber officials who have the authority to give Jamaica aid in the way of financial help, high tech infrastructure, beneficial trade deals, stuff like that.

I think William and Catherine are wonderful ambassadors for the UK. It's just that visiting Jamaica should have been seen as a more nuanced situation.

'profound sorrow’ over 'abhorrent' slavery

"William told guests at a State Dinner hosted by Jamaica’s Governor General Sir Patrick Linton Allen: “I strongly agree with my father, The Prince of Wales, who said in Barbados last year that the appalling atrocity of slavery forever stains our history. I want to express my profound sorrow. Slavery was abhorrent. And it should never have happened." "
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...press-profound-sorrow-over-abhorrent-slavery/

Good words! (I hope... My English is not good enough to translate "profound sorrow" good enough into German. DeepL, the internet translator, says "tiefstes Bedauern", what I would re-translate with "deeply sorry"... Perhaps one of the English speakers can help?)

But in the pics at the link above, they look very good, William and Kate - much better than yesterday! So, for me, that I think they make a "Bella Figura", it shows that all is fine now.

The placement of William's podium at that dinner seemed to intentionally marginalize him. He was positioned way in the corner, unlit, hard against the wall. I had better conditions presenting my science project in 5th grade.

His staff, if they were on their toes, would have alerted a more attentive foreign office who would never let that happen.

No tour would have been better than this tour.

Why was this charming couple, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, sent to a country, Jamaica, that plans to become a republic? What's going on?

The issue of becoming a republic has been out there for 60 years, but a referendum has never been held. Whilst it retains the Queen as Head of State, it will receive royal visits on an ongoing basis, quite like when Harry visited in 2012. That is why Jamaica received a royal visit.

Reports do seem to be mixed, but I feel very sorry for William and Catherine, who have been put in a difficult position.

Chris Stokes, the bobsleigher, made an interesting point about three of their four Olympic bobsleighers being people from the UK with Jamaican heritage. On the other hand, Raheem Sterling, who's been seen on this tour, was born in Jamaica but plays for England. There are very close ties between Jamaica and the UK, and it would be very sad to see that relationship soured. Jamaica becoming a republic wouldn't sour that, but I do think it was quite rude of Jamaica's PM to tell the Cambridges mid-tour that becoming a republic was what was planned. It wasn't the time or the place.

Stokes said "We have disagreements in families and between friends, but what is not Jamaican is not being gracious or treat our guests with respect".

Watching this tour progress, I feel it has been a difficult tour and I don't necessarily think successful.

I feel the Cambridges bring fun, youth and a down to earth quality about them when they tour and so far I don't feel that has shone through as much as on previous tours - possibly due to the slightly tense situation and protests that have taken place

Last edited:
The placement of William's podium at that dinner seemed to intentionally marginalize him. He was positioned way in the corner, unlit, hard against the wall. I had better conditions presenting my science project in 5th grade.

His staff, if they were on their toes, would have alerted a more attentive foreign office who would never let that happen.

No tour would have been better than this tour.

The photograph I saw had him just to the side of what I presume was the main table, without seeing a more expanded photograph I do not know if it was a traditional top table. There were flowers to the side and a portrait on the wall.
That was possibly the best position for the whole room to see him.
I do not recognise your description at all I am afraid.

If that is the usual place that guests make a speech from then there is no slight.

Generally, expected guests or diplomatic speakers at any dinner in any country would not be shoved into an unlit corner to give a speech.

Of course not. I just think this leg of the tour shouldn't have been scheduled in the first place. Jamaica has long since made its feelings on the monarchy and independence clear.

Jamaica is already independent. The only practical change with the republic, if Jamaica follows the model of Barbados, would be that the Governor-General would be renamed the President of Jamaica and would become the constitutional Head of State rather than a de facto acting Head of State for all intents and purposes as it is the case now. It looks to me like a change that matters more to the politicians than the people of Jamaica, whom the PM does not plan to consult in a referendum as far as I understand.

he is probably using the royal visit to showcase the change.. esp if he does not want to have a referendum,

Generally, expected guests or diplomatic speakers at any dinner in any country would not be shoved into an unlit corner to give a speech.
However sometimes the limitations of the space in which the dinner is being held does make the podium placement tricky.

Chris Stokes, the bobsleigher, made an interesting point about three of their four Olympic bobsleighers being people from the UK with Jamaican heritage. On the other hand, Raheem Sterling, who's been seen on this tour, was born in Jamaica but plays for England. There are very close ties between Jamaica and the UK, and it would be very sad to see that relationship soured. Jamaica becoming a republic wouldn't sour that, but I do think it was quite rude of Jamaica's PM to tell the Cambridges mid-tour that becoming a republic was what was planned. It wasn't the time or the place.

Stokes said "We have disagreements in families and between friends, but what is not Jamaican is not being gracious or treat our guests with respect".

In my opinion with his comments Mr. Stokes appears to be speaking to the nation's politicians and the protestors rather than the general public

Last edited:
The tour hasn't been as successful as had been hoped, but no part of it has been the fault of the Royal couple.

Once they were committed to visit they were in a no-win situation.

They made the best of things and were as gracious as could be, imo

Live stream of the military parade that will be attended by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge:

The flowers were beautiful at the Kingston banquet on the 23rd.

Jamaica has been a disaster. I feel like William and Kate were intentionally set up to fail by the Jamaican government in order to prove a point. Why allow them to come to your country and then find ways to humiliate and disrespect them?
At the same time, W&K's PR team did them no favors. There were times they should have stepped in and prevented some of this from happening. And whomever Kate is using as a stylist now let her down occasionally - some of what Kate wore was much fussier than her normal attire, which made it feel like she was wearing a costume.
I hope the Bahamas goes much better.

Where is William’s platnium jubilee medal on his military uniform today - it appears he is only wearing 2 medals.

At the banquet last night he wore the smaller medals and wore all 3

At St Patrick’s day parade he wore the ribbons (I can’t recall the technical term) of all 3

Did someone forget to pack the platinum jubilee larger medal ???

The tour hasn't been as successful as had been hoped, but no part of it has been the fault of the Royal couple.

Once they were committed to visit they were in a no-win situation.

They made the best of things and were as gracious as could be, imo

Totally agree. Any ungracious behaviour has come from other people. William and Kate have behaved impeccably.

Let's see what the Bahamas leg brings. Hopefully, it's more in the mood of the Belize leg than the Jamaica leg!

I always love to see the tropical military uniforms and I'm glad to finally see a hat on this tour. I wouldn't see this tour as a total failure. Belize was subdued and Jamaica has had its ups and downs, there are almost always a mixture of warm greetings and protests, and this tour is no different. It's unfair for politicians to use them for political ploy, however, which I am disappointed to see. The royals are not actively stopping commonwealth countries from becoming republics, and from what former prime ministers of Commonweath realms have noted, the royals have always taken a pragmatic approach to the future of these realms. It is much easier for a politician to make the royals look like the bad guys rather than take the risk themselves in changing their country.

Where is William’s platnium jubilee medal on his military uniform today - it appears he is only wearing 2 medals.

At the banquet last night he wore the smaller medals and wore all 3

At St Patrick’s day parade he wore the ribbons (I can’t recall the technical term) of all 3

Did someone forget to pack the platinum jubilee larger medal ???
He may just not have received the actual full-size medal yet. I think miniatures and ribbons can be worn as soon as an honour is awarded, even before the physical insignia is received. (I doubt there will be an investiture or anything like that, but I don't know that the medals have been mailed out or whatever. I don't think there have been any other uniform events since the 6th of February so I don't know what the others have.)

His medals are court-mounted, so they're a single unit that attaches to the uniform, meaning he couldn't be missing just one due to a packing error. I suppose it's possible that someone neglected to have his medals sent out for remounting (worse mistakes have been made).

Last edited:
During the parade they could easily be mistaken for king and queen. Very well done!

N.B. It does seem the tour is a bit hard on Catherine. She seems a bit tired in some of the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom