Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Poland & Germany - July 17-21, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Poland & Germany - July 17-21, 2017

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will pay an
official visit to Poland and Germany in July 2017
at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office

***​

Last edited:
Looking forward to this. Summer visits are my favourite.

My country, yay! Of cource, I will go to see them :)

This will be soft diplomacy at its best

^^^^

Reporters for The Times and ITV News weigh in

Valentine Low‏ @valentinelow
William & Kate to go to Poland & Germany in Jul. Prediction by @gordonrayner that Kate's a potent force in EU bridge building looks v true.

Chris Ship‏ @chrisshipitv
What with William & Kate's visit to Paris this month then Poland & Germany in July, seems Govt think they're good post-Brexit ambassadors

I wanted them to visit Germany for a long time and finally they do. I expect Rolf Seelmann-Eggebert to cover this visit ;)

The Duke of Cambridge, Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge, Catherine will pay a visit to Poland in July. "The Polish presidential couple with be happy to welcome them in our country in July of this year", presidential Minister Krzysztof Szczerski told PAP on Friday.

"The presidential couple received with joy news on the will to pay a visit to Poland by the Prince and Duchess of Cambridge. The Duchess of Cambridge, Catherine and Prince William will be welcomed guests in Poland. The Polish presidential couple will be happy to welcome them in our country in July this year", Minister Szczerski said.

"We see in this visit a confirmation of cordial ties between our countries and peoples. It is our intention for visit of the princely couple to include elements of an official visit and private time of both pairs", the presidential minister added.
President of the Republic of Poland / News / Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to visit Poland in July

Looking forward to this official visit.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will travel to Germany in July to extend a "hand of friendship" less than four months after Theresa May triggers Brexit negotiations.

Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, has asked the couple to make an official visit to Poland and Germany in July amid claims that the couple are becoming Britian's "brexit ambassadors"

The visit to Germany is likely to be particularly significant and officials hope that it will help "detoxify" negotiations and smooth the way for a future trade deal. The Duke and Duchess are expected to meet Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, during a visit to Berlin.
Read more: William and Kate to visit Germany and*extend 'hand of friendship' to Angela Merkel in Brexit boost

Wow..now this is cool, Poland! When's the last time a senior member went for an official visist/tour?

LaRae

Wow..now this is cool, Poland! When's the last time a senior member went for an official visist/tour?

LaRae

As far as I am aware

The queen in 1996
Andrew went in 2000 to present an enigma machine to the polish government
Anne went on a three day tour including war veterans in 2006
Charles and Camilla included it on a nine day tour of Eastern Europe in 2010

Edward and Sophie are most recent. They visited in 2014. It was their second visit, having been in 2004

The Duke of Kent also in 2014

Last edited:
Charles and Camilla went to Poland in 2010.

The Queen in 1996.

The Duke of Kent in 2014

I'm looking forward to this visit. I don't want to start any political arguments so I'm going to hide under my chair after this; but I think it's great that William and Catherine are visiting Europe post-Brexit.

They have decided that their children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, will travel with them and we expect the children to be seen on at least a couple of occasions over the course of the week.

That will be fun!

:previous:

None of the events listed in the program seem 'child-friendly' to me, so I can't imagine where we will "see" George and Charlotte apart from departures and arrivals.

Based on that, what is the point of taking them along?

ETA: from Rebecca English, George and Charlotte will apparently only be seen as I had expected:

Rebecca English‏ @RE_DailyMail
William/Kate hadn't planned to take their children on tour but we'll now see George & Charlotte arriving in Poland & departing from Germany.

Last edited:
I don't get it either - they are very small and need to uphold their routine but I am sure their parents know best.

None of the events listed in the program seem 'child-friendly' to me, so I can't imagine where we will "see" George and Charlotte apart from departures and arrivals.

Based on that, what is the point of taking them along?

Because they don't want to leave them behind, unless absolutely necessary? School holidays are in play so no issue there.

I spent Easter in Krakow :) and surrounding area ( :sad: ). Really beautiful country, there will be plenty for George and Charlotte to see and do off-camera.

Taking two young children abroad for a five-day business trip where their parents will not be spending much time with them during the day is the definition of unnecessary IMO.

Interesting to see if we end up with any pap shots of the children out and about with the nannies.

Taking two young children abroad for a five-day business trip where their parents will not be spending much time with them during the day is the definition of unnecessary IMO.

Interesting to see if we end up with any pap shots of the children out and about with the nannies.

When William and Kate are carrying out engagements in the UK, they (like the rest of the working, child rearing public!) are not around during the day. But are present during some aspect of the day. This is not a long journey visit or an overly long one event wise. Why shouldn't George and Charlotte come along? They get a holiday along with nanny and Mum and Dad are around too. I can't see the issue. There would possibly or even probaly be a bigger squawk if they were left behind! :lol:

The nannies? Beside Maria who is the other nanny?

Prince George and Princess Charlotte will join their parents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, on their tour of Germany and Poland, Kensington Palace has said.

The Duke and Duchess will travel with their young son and daughter during their five-day trip, which begins on July 17 in Poland's capital Warsaw and ends in the German city of Hamburg on July 21.

The tour has been described as a Brexit charm offensive, and follows the Duke and Duchess' trip to Paris and the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visiting Romania, Italy and Austria earlier this year.
Read more: Prince George and Princess Charlotte to help Duke and Duchess of Cambridge charm Europe

Oh can't wait to see pics of the kids! Pretty neat they are taking them...wonder if they will turn up at one of the official events.

LaRae

Really looking forward to the visit, but I must admit, that I'm much more interested in that Scandinavian trip (especially the Norway part of it).

Actually, I think its a good idea taking the kids with them on this trip even if the times they spend together while touring is only at night or such. Will and Kate are stepping up their game with their royal duties and the best way for little kids to learn something is by experience. This is what mommy and daddy do and they get an idea of what mommy and daddy are up to when the times come and Will and Kate go somewhere and the kids remain at home with Nanny Maria. Especially when school is in session.

Its all fitting family into their royal duties rather than finding time for family between royal duties. At least that's how I see it.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's latest European tour has been hailed as "historic" and a chance to "accelerate" the UK's relationships with two important EU countries involved in the Brexit process.

The royal couple begin a trip to Poland and Germany on Monday.

Sky News has spoken to the two key diplomats who will guide the royal couple through their week-long trip; Sir Sebastian Wood, the British ambassador to Germany, and Jonathan Knott, Britain's man in Poland.

The visit comes as the next round of Brexit negotiations get underway in Brussels.

Read more: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on 'historic' tour - Sky News

Back
Top Bottom